PDA

View Full Version : Shortlisted but no passport! Help!

Turtle Scarf
March 29th, 2017, 23:14
Being a college student, I am rather tight on money so I decided to delay getting a passport until I found out if I was accepted to JET. Now I am shortlisted and the consulate requires a photocopy of my passport information by April 17. Even if I expedite the process and request overnight shipping, there’s still no guarantee that I will receive my passport before the deadline.
What is my course of action for informing the consulate?
Will the consulate accept a passport photocopy as long as the envelope is postmarked before the deadline?

webstaa
March 30th, 2017, 08:29
Things to do: Contact the consulate/JET coordinator ASAP - they'll get thing sorted for you on the Japanese side, usually asking for proof you've got your passport application submitted. Get your passport application completed with the expedited option and overnight delivery (+$75.)

mothy
March 30th, 2017, 09:43
Every year someone does this. Passports don't cost that much, and now you have to stress and pay for expedited delivery. Just follow weebstar's advice and you should be fine.

But applicants of the future, passports are useful. Even if you don't get accepted they're useful. Just get your passport!

Airella013
March 30th, 2017, 22:48
No need to worry! I was doing some reading in our notes and instruction page and found this: "If you do not currently hold a valid US passport, you should begin the process of obtaining one immediately. Please keep the JET Program Office informed of the status of your passport application and provide a photocopy as soon as possible."

Just contact your consulate and tell them what's going on :D Good luck!

Monty
March 31st, 2017, 15:41
How did you even apply and get into the consulate for the interview without a passport? In the UK we need a copy of the passport page for the application and the physical document to gain entry to the consulate for the interview.

hypatia
April 2nd, 2017, 11:18
How did you even apply and get into the consulate for the interview without a passport? In the UK we need a copy of the passport page for the application and the physical document to gain entry to the consulate for the interview.

'Murica

webstaa
April 3rd, 2017, 08:09

Less than 36% of Americans have a passport. So they're more lenient. In the UK that number is closer to 80%.

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 08:52
Less than 36% of Americans have a passport. So they're more lenient. In the UK that number is closer to 80%.

wtf, do people not travel outside of their own country? This explains so much about America tbh

mothy
April 3rd, 2017, 08:54
Can americans still go to canada without a passport, or did that rule change?

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 08:59
I've always had to show my passport going in and out, whether it's by car, ferry or plane.
Also, Canada doesn't count as broadening your horizons. It's just slightly better America.

mothy
April 3rd, 2017, 09:18
I think you mean slightly worse. But where else are americans supposed to go? Mexico? *shudder* It's not like europe where you can take a daytrip to another 1st world country.

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 09:20
I think you mean slightly worse. But where else are americans supposed to go? Mexico? *shudder* It's not like europe where you can take a daytrip to another 1st world country.

Perhaps many of America's problems could be helped if *gasp* they went to a country far different from their own?!

acpc2203
April 3rd, 2017, 09:26
It's just slightly better America.
Day of the rake when?

mothy
April 3rd, 2017, 09:39
Perhaps many of America's problems could be helped if *gasp* they went to a country far different from their own?!

Yes, getting mugged in mexico would really teach americans to like mexicans.

acpc2203
April 3rd, 2017, 09:47
I think she means more people need to experience traditional mexican culture like donkey shows and mass decapitations.

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 09:47
Day of the rake when?

I stand by what I said.
I'm both American and Canadian. The side of my family that I actually like all lives in America and even then I can say with confidence that I'd never want to live there.

acpc2203
April 3rd, 2017, 10:03
Well that is understandable, some people can't handle living in the greatest country ever.

moonbeam
April 3rd, 2017, 10:22
America has passport cards that allow us to go to surrounding countries (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean). They're cheaper, so I dunno, maybe more people have those.

Also, the first foreign country I went to was Japan, so, yeah we're not very well traveled..

mothy
April 3rd, 2017, 10:39
For a lower middle-class guy in the northwest, the caribbean wasn't an option. Really only canada and mexico were options and I did one of those two. So I did about as well as can be expected in terms of world travelling.

webstaa
April 3rd, 2017, 10:48
America has passport cards that allow us to go to surrounding countries (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean). They're cheaper, so I dunno, maybe more people have those.

Also, the first foreign country I went to was Japan, so, yeah we're not very well traveled..

You need to get a passport in order to get the card. It's an add-on.

The thing is, where are you going when you go abroad? If you you're not a Europhile or Japanophile, you can hit all the major tourist regions without traveling across national boundaries. Disney? Florida or California. Tropical vacation? Hawaii, Puerto Rico. New York, Washington, LA for all your "cultural needs" and there the Rockies if you need a major mountaineering/winter sports etc hit. If you want natural beauty, you've to national parks in every corner and nearly every possible style - desert, rainforest, mountains, etc. All without needing a passport and all in English speaking areas. No need for foreign language guides, no stress over booking stuff across language barriers etc.

Traveling abroad is also much more expensive. Given that Americans get no guaranteed annual leave, it's not only the several thousand dollars of airline tickets for a single person to go abroad, but also the missed work and consequences from that (You want to take a week off next month? Great, don't come back etc.) For the same price you could fly to two or three domestic tourist destinations and still have money left over. The 36% of Americans that have passports are the 36% that can theoretically afford to go abroad, even if it's only once every ten years. If you don't get one as a youth/young adult, there's no need to apply for one until you need it. The majority of Americans living paycheck to paycheck can use that $120 bucks to feed their family for a week or three instead of getting a passport that they'll never have an opportunity to use.

mothy
April 3rd, 2017, 11:04
If you're making enough money to take a trip outside the country you're in a job that gives you annual leave. Any decent job in the US gives annual leave. For most people I know in the US who are working full-time, a national annual leave law would be redundant. Not to say that I wouldn't support nationally mandated leave laws, but I think it would have no effect on american travel habits.

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 11:20
The problem with having everything you could want within your own country (which is impossible), without the adversity and fuck ups that come with travelling abroad and language barriers, then you've lost most of the point of travelling, no?
So long as you don't end up bleeding out in a back alley with a missing kidney, that is.

webstaa
April 3rd, 2017, 11:50
The problem with having everything you could want within your own country (which is impossible), without the adversity and fuck ups that come with travelling abroad and language barriers, then you've lost most of the point of travelling, no?
So long as you don't end up bleeding out in a back alley with a missing kidney, that is.

Well basically, it boils down to: Less than 36% of US citizens can afford to or have the motivation to travel abroad. Somehow the other 64% get by without it. I'd assume the majority of them don't have a yearly vacation, either by not being able to afford it in terms of money or time. Given more funds or more time off, or necessitated by a smaller country in terms of cultural capital or geographic boundaries, I'm sure more Americans would get passports.

Then again, nearly 80% of Americans have a drivers license...

Edit: Good thing I "teach" English and not math.

hypatia
April 3rd, 2017, 12:43
Well basically, it boils down to: Less than 36% of US citizens can afford to or have the motivation to travel abroad. Somehow the other 74% get by without it. I'd assume the majority of them don't have a yearly vacation, either by not being able to afford it in terms of money or time. Given more funds or more time off, or necessitated by a smaller country in terms of cultural capital or geographic boundaries, I'm sure more Americans would get passports.

Then again, nearly 80% of Americans have a drivers license...

Yes! This! It was so weird meeting people in Japan from Canada and NZ and the UK that don't have a drivers license/have never had one. Boggles my mind. Unless you live in a few places in America (NYC, for example), it's basically impossible to get around without a car, and even if you don't have a car it's 100% the main form of ID for everything.

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 13:01
Yes! This! It was so weird meeting people in Japan from Canada and NZ and the UK that don't have a drivers license/have never had one. Boggles my mind. Unless you live in a few places in America (NYC, for example), it's basically impossible to get around without a car, and even if you don't have a car it's 100% the main form of ID for everything.

What? What Canadian doesn't have a driver's license? Toronto's subway system is absolutely abysmal and the country is enormous. Getting your permit at 16 is like a right of passage out in the 'burbs and boonies.

Ini
April 3rd, 2017, 13:37
You need to get a passport in order to get the card. It's an add-on.

The thing is, where are you going when you go abroad? If you you're not a Europhile or Japanophile, you can hit all the major tourist regions without traveling across national boundaries. Disney? Florida or California. Tropical vacation? Hawaii, Puerto Rico. New York, Washington, LA for all your "cultural needs" and there the Rockies if you need a major mountaineering/winter sports etc hit. If you want natural beauty, you've to national parks in every corner and nearly every possible style - desert, rainforest, mountains, etc. All without needing a passport and all in English speaking areas. No need for foreign language guides, no stress over booking stuff across language barriers etc.

Traveling abroad is also much more expensive. Given that Americans get no guaranteed annual leave, it's not only the several thousand dollars of airline tickets for a single person to go abroad, but also the missed work and consequences from that (You want to take a week off next month? Great, don't come back etc.) For the same price you could fly to two or three domestic tourist destinations and still have money left over. The 36% of Americans that have passports are the 36% that can theoretically afford to go abroad, even if it's only once every ten years. If you don't get one as a youth/young adult, there's no need to apply for one until you need it. The majority of Americans living paycheck to paycheck can use that $120 bucks to feed their family for a week or three instead of getting a passport that they'll never have an opportunity to use.

This is the funniest post ever. This might just sum up everything that is wrong with america.

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 13:41
This is the funniest post ever. This might just sum up everything that is wrong with america.

Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Ini on something, but yeah.

Ini
April 3rd, 2017, 13:42
Less than 36% of US citizens can afford to or have the motivation to travel abroad. Somehow the other 74% get by without it.

110% of US citizens fail basic math...

mothy
April 3rd, 2017, 13:57
Americans always give 110%.

acpc2203
April 3rd, 2017, 14:20
Wait people haven't gone on an African safari? I thought that was a normal thing.

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 14:32
You didn't go on a Grand Tour (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Tour)?

Ini
April 3rd, 2017, 14:50
If your school didnt send you abroad a few times a year when you were growing up then it cant have been a particularly good school.

Jiggit
April 3rd, 2017, 14:56
another 1st world country.

What's the first one?

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 14:58
What's the first one?

KEK.

hypatia
April 3rd, 2017, 15:00
What? What Canadian doesn't have a driver's license? Toronto's subway system is absolutely abysmal and the country is enormous. Getting your permit at 16 is like a right of passage out in the 'burbs and boonies.

Vancouverites, lol

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 15:03
Vancouverites, lol

but like, even just for ID purposes its important to have. I had only one friend in high school who didn't drive and got a non-license ID from the government, but bouncers and bars always gave him shit and never believed it was real. That's surprising!

acpc2203
April 3rd, 2017, 15:23
You didn't go on a Grand Tour (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Tour)?
Hasn't been the same since the steam engine was invented. Now any plebeian can wander around Europe.

mrcharisma
April 3rd, 2017, 16:44

In UK we use proper manual transmission cars, plus our test is on public roads and a bit more difficult than "drive in a straight line through this empty piece of tarmac."

It takes months and usually the best part of £1000 to learn to drive. Most people have gotten round to it by their early 20s though.

webstaa
April 4th, 2017, 08:05

Less funny, more tragic.

No wonder so many people want to escape the country.