PDA

View Full Version : Shortlisted, but unsure

hachemancour
April 1st, 2017, 02:22
Hey folks,

I've got a problem. I was shortlisted this year, which is amazing.

That being said, I recently accepted a new job that I start on the sixth, copyediting listicles and shit like that full-time, salary, benefits, etc. I'm a good editor, and it's what I've been doing for a couple years, but I don't love it exactly. It's just decent work. Anyway, the job is 100% work from home. Fully remote. I can travel if I want.

I like teaching, and I've considered pursuing a grad degree in ESL or English education in the future, and I think JET would be a nice segue into that. But also, the editing job is good, steady, solid, and remote.

I'm having a hell of a time choosing between the two. Especially because, as many JETs have said to me, "JET isn't a career." I get that, but it is a way to prepare for the future, right?

How many times does one get the chance to get immersed in another culture this way? I taught English in China for a year and loved it, but I understand it's not real work or real teaching. Also, how many times does one get the opportunity to work fully remote?

So many questions.

Anyway, this has been an impossible decision for me. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

mrcharisma
April 1st, 2017, 08:57
Could you keep a finger in the pie of the editing stuff on freelance? Depending on placement you might have plenty of time to keep doing editing on the side.

In terms of career if you fancy being a teacher then Jet is a better option than editing clickbait articles from your bedroom. For a future in anything except teaching Jet will be a hindrance.

mothy
April 1st, 2017, 09:57
How old are you? If you're 22, then JET seems like a reasonable choice, but if you're 30, take the real job.

hachemancour
April 1st, 2017, 13:05
I wish I could! The editing stuff is full time. If I am conciliatory with the company, maybe I could work some freelance stuff as a writer, and keep myself in good standing for the future despite turning them down. But it's a risk, of course. I don't think I want to be an editor for my entire life, however. It's been a few years already, mostly in publishing, but also copyediting.

hachemancour
April 1st, 2017, 13:05
I'm 25. I already have some work experience in the field. So it's a bit of a tossup. Especially since I like teaching a bit more than editing.

Gizmotech
April 1st, 2017, 14:01
I'm 25. I already have some work experience in the field. So it's a bit of a tossup. Especially since I like teaching a bit more than editing.

You say you like teaching, but what do you actually like about it? Teaching english abroad and teaching are two entirely different things, with very different reinforcement systems.

mothy
April 1st, 2017, 14:02
I'm never sure whether to recommend JET to people who like teaching. In most placements it's pretty much as far away from teaching and still technically be teaching as you can get.

hachemancour
April 1st, 2017, 15:54
You say you like teaching, but what do you actually like about it? Teaching english abroad and teaching are two entirely different things, with very different reinforcement systems.

Well, I enjoy watching my students learn something new and grasp a new concept. I also just enjoy getting them interested in English. That's what I enjoyed about teaching in China -- getting them motivated enough to care more about English.

hachemancour
April 1st, 2017, 15:55
I'm never sure whether to recommend JET to people who like teaching. In most placements it's pretty much as far away from teaching and still technically be teaching as you can get.

I understand -- I get that being an ALT can really be uninvolved, etc. I think the time spent "teaching" would also be a good time to prepare for grad school applications, etc. But I'm also afraid of ending JET with little to show for my efforts. It just seems like a risk.

mothy
April 1st, 2017, 21:12
It is a risk. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot. But you're young enough you can take risks. Just don't be one of the idiots (example A- me) who stays too long. Be ready to bail even if you're enjoying it.

Jiggit
April 1st, 2017, 21:21
If you don't have anything really looking like an opportunity coming up I think it's fine to fart around traveling for a few years. When else are you gonna do it?

OatsCurrySummer
April 1st, 2017, 22:10
Just don't be one of the idiots (example A- me) who stays too long. Be ready to bail even if you're enjoying it.
I'm already an idiot, can I stay too long too?

Ini
April 1st, 2017, 22:13
no such thing as "too long"

mothy
April 1st, 2017, 22:16
Keep it in the lounge you drunk dummy.

OatsCurrySummer
April 1st, 2017, 22:24
no such thing as "too long"

You've never met my first boyfriend then.

cdefg
April 1st, 2017, 23:09
Some words from someone who went the other way.

I started working immediately after graduating from university, did my masters, currently in a stable position at my company, getting paid quite abit more than what JET is paying. Decided to take a break, had learnt some rudimentary Japanese in secondary school and thought I'd go live in Japan for awhile. Shortlisted this year, spoke to my boss, taking a year of unpaid leave, and the current plan is to return after that and continue real life. It's not a job that I love, but it's a job that's decent, solid, steady, benefits, etc. I'm a pragmatist, and it sounds to me like you're deciding between a definite reasonable career opportunity now, vs a potential boost to a potentially more enjoyable future job (grass is greener effect).

In any case, I'm sure JET is still gonna be around for the next few years, so if your editing thing doesn't work out, it's still not too late. Everyone's path is different, and priorities can change in a few years too. Hope my version of things help. Good luck!

hachemancour
April 2nd, 2017, 01:12
It is a risk. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot. But you're young enough you can take risks. Just don't be one of the idiots (example A- me) who stays too long. Be ready to bail even if you're enjoying it.

I'm worried 25 (and 26 next month) is getting to be too old to take the risks. I'm not sure. Giving up a job that's stable, though not as rewarding as a future in ESL education might be, feels like a mistake, but I can't say that for sure now. I'm too wound up in possibilities and what ifs and future anxiety, which is annoying.

hachemancour
April 2nd, 2017, 01:13
If you don't have anything really looking like an opportunity coming up I think it's fine to fart around traveling for a few years. When else are you gonna do it?

Yeah, I guess if I wait much longer past 25/26, it's getting to be too late. I mean, the fully remote copyediting job could let me do that as well, I suppose.

mrcharisma
April 2nd, 2017, 03:28
Sounds like you've not really decided what to do with your life yet, so if your current job is just "ok" it's probably worth trying Jet for a year. Your age isn't really an issue and a year out to try something new at 27 isn't exactly unusual.

But have to point out that unless you are a fully qualified teacher chances are you won't find a long-term career in ESL rewarding. Opportunities are limited and a quick glance round the pit of despair that is the Daves ESL Cafe forums would put you off the idea for life.

hachemancour
April 2nd, 2017, 03:52
Sounds like you've not really decided what to do with your life yet, so if your current job is just "ok" it's probably worth trying Jet for a year. Your age isn't really an issue and a year out to try something new at 27 isn't exactly unusual.

But have to point out that unless you are a fully qualified teacher chances are you won't find a long-term career in ESL rewarding. Opportunities are limited and a quick glance round the pit of despair that is the Daves ESL Cafe forums would put you off the idea for life.

Yeah, I appreciate that reality, it's a valid point. My goal is to head to graduate school for the actual pedagogical study and degree after JET, if I follow that route, so as to achieve an actual and potentially rewarding career. What do you think of that?

mrcharisma
April 2nd, 2017, 04:00
Yeah, I appreciate that reality, it's a valid point. My goal is to head to graduate school for the actual pedagogical study and degree after JET, if I follow that route, so as to achieve an actual and potentially rewarding career. What do you think of that?

Quite likely a good long-term plan but be 100% certain you want to be a teacher before doing the training. I quite enjoyed Jet, started teacher training after I got home and absolutely hated it. The ball-n-chain did the same as me but enjoyed it, got qualified and now finds teaching quite rewarding.

hachemancour
April 2nd, 2017, 07:24
Yeah, I have some work experience under my belt. I'm worried about reapplying and not getting in again though. I'm also typically very pragmatic.

mrcharisma
April 2nd, 2017, 08:07
I'm also typically very pragmatic.

You come across as more neurotic and insecure tbh.

Frap
April 2nd, 2017, 08:31
I'm worried 25 (and 26 next month) is getting to be too old to take the risks. I'm not sure.

Are you kidding?! You're 25. That's nothing. You'll probably be working for at least another 40 years. FORTY years. Take as many risks as you like, because you have a long way to go. The most important thing is to do what makes you happy.

To quote Baz Luhrmann

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Ini
April 2nd, 2017, 09:02
Are you kidding?! You're 25. That's nothing. You'll probably be working for at least another 40 years.

retire at 65? how ghastly

OatsCurrySummer
April 2nd, 2017, 13:36
retire at 65? how ghastly

What's your secret to avoid such a fate?

Gizmotech
April 2nd, 2017, 13:36
I came on JET at 28 and never left.

OatsCurrySummer
April 2nd, 2017, 13:39
I came on JET at 28 and never left.

Surely something we can all aspire to.

Gizmotech
April 2nd, 2017, 14:15
Surely something we can all aspire to.

It's not bad... I now make 6mil a year, just got a raise, I mean It's not all bad eh?

OatsCurrySummer
April 2nd, 2017, 14:23
It's not bad... I now make 6mil a year, just got a raise, I mean It's not all bad eh?

Definitely not, that's awesome.
If this diet keeps going well and I can make it to a 24-inch waist (I was at 25 before coming to Japan), gonna try to get into modelling since foreigners are in high demand with agencies, and I've got a few photographer friends. Couldn't hurt to try (while obviously working a non-JET ALT job on the side).
Sorry to derail this thread.

In short, OP is young enough to come here and it wont be too much of a detriment to their career. Though working from home and visiting Japan on your own time sounds pretty sweet as well.

richief_611
April 2nd, 2017, 14:58
Hey folks,

I've got a problem. I was shortlisted this year, which is amazing.
Anyway, this has been an impossible decision for me. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

hachemancour, you should totally accept your position on JET. Since you got accepted, you'll regret it if you decide to apply again, but then not get in. Since your editing job is at home, you may be able to do it part-time at least when you're in Japan. Also, this job will still be around even after JET, if JET becomes a bad experience.

JET is such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so you should take it. You'll be able to build your ESL experience, travel cheaply to nearby countries and within Japan, learn/speak Japanese, and experience a culture very unique in East Asia.

If possible, you can start or even complete an ESL degree program while you're on JET. Some people do it entirely online, and use their work experience to fulfill the practicum requirement. If ESL education is your ultimate career goal, then JET is your best option.

I say that you should at least do JET for 2 years to get the most out of it, but it's always ESID, since you may be placed randomly somewhere that you may not like.

You've taught in China before, so you know how it is. It's really great. And since you'll be 26 years old when you go, this may be your last chance to easily get accepted into the program. While age isn't that much of an issue for JET, they do mostly accept young people in their 20s. The editing job seems to be just a job, but not your ultimate career goal. You may grow tired of it after a year or two, and then regret not going on JET later.

YOLO! (You only live once) So take this opportunity to go on JET. And I have to say, Japanese kids are one of the cutest and energetic kids I have ever seen!! You won't regret it.

Some people have different experiences, but there are many people who come to Japan on JET and then never want to leave.

Good luck on your decision.

Ini
April 2nd, 2017, 17:13
What's your secret to avoid such a fate?

have enough money to retire at 50, its hardly rocket science.

OatsCurrySummer
April 2nd, 2017, 17:44

Oh my god, why didn't I think of that?!

acpc2203
April 2nd, 2017, 18:20
This is surprisingly easy to do if you don't try to keep up with the Joneses and don't have kids.

OatsCurrySummer
April 2nd, 2017, 18:40
This is surprisingly easy to do if you don't have kids.

Guess, I'm working until 65 then.

mothy
April 3rd, 2017, 08:51
Guess, I'm working until 65 then.

Didn't use protection in your recent sex tourism?

OatsCurrySummer
April 3rd, 2017, 08:54
Didn't use protection in your recent sex tourism?

Learned my lesson in high school ~ ♥

word
April 3rd, 2017, 12:16
Learned my lesson in high school ~ ♥

Yeh I have a couple of exes who became intimately familiar with a coathanger, too.

OP, I was an older JET. Moved on to direct hire. I realize now that a lot of the stuff that I worried about--falling behind my peers--didn't really matter. I've got all that jazz now (wife, kid, decent career, good car, nice house). It didn't take long to catch up. I vote go for it.

Besides, Trump is probably gonna start WWIII soon and we'll all be either dead or living in some sort of Mad Max-esque apocalypse, so no worries. Might as well have a little fun on our way out.

patjs
April 25th, 2017, 03:49
You're still young, I'd do JET.

It seems like you are looking to pursue a graduate degree or some kind of different path than this editing job anyway so why not just do JET and save some money and have some fun?

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 07:12
It seems like you are looking to pursue a graduate degree or some kind of different path than this editing job anyway so why not just do JET and save some money and have some fun?

Because that's exactly where I was and I'm now signed on for two and a half years on this island with no intention of leaving after that. This place is a trap.

Ini
April 25th, 2017, 07:18
2 and a half years, pffft. I've had longer showers

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 07:20
Would you have really done the full five years if you had my placement?

Ini
April 25th, 2017, 07:23
I did 4 years in an evacuation shelter so 5 years on a tropical island doesn't sound too bad

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 07:26
Did you fight in 'Nam or some shit?

Ini
April 25th, 2017, 07:31
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/43/87/88/4387887a8d86e6ab97c75d06a5ff2f7b.jpg

TRIGGERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 07:36
TRIGGERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was that supposed to trigger me bc of my diet or you because they look vaguely like grenades?

mothy
April 25th, 2017, 11:20
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/43/87/88/4387887a8d86e6ab97c75d06a5ff2f7b.jpg

TRIGGERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They do look kinda stale.

acpc2203
April 25th, 2017, 13:28
Conbini pastries are great for carbo loading/permabulking. Can easily down a few thousand calories in one sitting.

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 13:40
If you must know, my real trigger is cherry pie. Luckily for me, you cant get the proper shit in Japan or I'd have blown up to whale-sized proportions by now. They don't use the tart Montmorency cherries, they tend to use the sweet ones like Bing or Rainier. I'm very particular about it.

EDIT: And yes, I know Starbucks' current seasonal flavour is American Cherry Pie, and while I normally hate Starbucks, it's taking every ounce of willpower I have not to buy it when I'm on the mainland.

Ini
April 25th, 2017, 13:50
They do look kinda stale.

http://decalpitstop.com/ca/meatpackingdistrict.jpg

TRIGGERED!!!!!!!!!!

acpc2203
April 25th, 2017, 13:54
I might have to make the pilgrimage to the one (and holy) Starbucks in Tottori to try it out.

TachikawaTruffle
April 25th, 2017, 14:38
The other starbucks is a hovel filled with Aeon eikaiwa workers.

Oaty, you would like this place (http://www.cherryhutstore.com/).

acpc2203
April 25th, 2017, 14:41
O wait now there are 4, I never go to Yonago or Tottori city though so still 0 for me.

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 14:58
I might have to make the pilgrimage to the one (and holy) Starbucks in Tottori to try it out.

omg how was it.

acpc2203
April 25th, 2017, 15:09
The one right by Tottori station is really nice, I haven't been to the other ones.

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 15:11
welp, sorry I misread your original statement, I thought you said you had already made the pilgrimage to try it. I was asking about the frappacino, I could care less about the starbucks itself.

acpc2203
April 25th, 2017, 15:12
I could drive to one after work but I despise both Yonago and Tottori City.

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 15:15
Fuck it, I'm gonna buy one next week. I can share it with Brazilian qt3.14, so half the calories.

acpc2203
April 25th, 2017, 15:20
Then you can share insulin.

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 15:23
Then you can share insulin.

Sharing needles, so hardcore. Teenage emo Oats would be proud.

Frap
April 25th, 2017, 17:52
Fuck it, I'm gonna buy one next week. I can share it with Brazilian qt3.14, so half the calories.

Don't ever say "qt3.14" again you fucking neckbeard

OatsCurrySummer
April 25th, 2017, 18:56
Don't ever say "qt3.14" again you fucking neckbeard

Whatcha gonna do about it? You're too busy frying pakora to moderate this forum properly.