PDA

View Full Version : VISA Debit

Saihken
May 4th, 2017, 10:33
Hey Everyone,

Just a question about VISA Debit. The bank I'm currently with (Shinsei) doesn't offer VISA Debit cards. Does anyone know of a foreigner friendly bank that has VISA Debit cards. I tried SMTB but they, in a very Japanese way, said... You're a foreigner we aren't giving you a bank account. Any ideas? What banks do you guys use?

Thanks in advance

Jiggit
May 4th, 2017, 18:10
Can't help you sorry, I had the same issues. I ended up just getting a credit card for those kinds of transactions, is that a no go?

Gizmotech
May 4th, 2017, 18:50
Ya a credit card might as well be a debit given it doesn't cost you anything to pay it all off on the next bill

Saihken
May 4th, 2017, 18:56
Yeah, I looked in to that but my Japanese isn't good enough to sign up for a credit card in Japan. I don't want to sign up for a credit card back home because I would be forced to pay International transaction fees etc. Aren't credit cards really hard for foreigners to get in Japan?

Gizmotech
May 5th, 2017, 18:34
Dunno, I got one in my fourth year, but I hear about newbies getting em super easy.

Ini
May 5th, 2017, 19:06
credit card - rakuten seems to hand them out to roundeyes without too much trouble.

Visa debit - japannetbank is a pretty safe bet

word
May 6th, 2017, 23:47
credit card - rakuten seems to hand them out to roundeyes without too much trouble.

Visa debit - japannetbank is a pretty safe betword

I got a CC with my bank (Shinkin)(f*ck them, tho; they're one of those banks that opens at nine, closes at three, and shuts down their ATMs for anything that might be a holiday for anyone) after just a couple o' years in, first try. I've heard different things, but you don't need particularly awesome J-go abilities to fill out the apps, and if you ask someone for help, they'll probably just do the whole thing for you.

I got a Japannetbank account a few years ago and they sent me a visa debit as a matter of course. I preferred to use my Shinkin CC at that point, but it was kinda cool to have.

puma
March 13th, 2018, 23:06
I've been out of Japan since 2011 and my Shinsei account is still active, lol.

never change japan

Jiggit
March 15th, 2018, 08:34
What does that have to do with Japan?

mothy
March 15th, 2018, 09:02
I irresponsibly left my account open when I left the country. Haha. Stupid country.

webstaa
March 16th, 2018, 08:13
I irresponsibly left my account open when I left the country. Haha. Stupid country.

Better than leaving utilities, phone, and internet accounts open when leaving...

puma
March 16th, 2018, 11:53
What does that have to do with Japan?

any american bank wouldve shitcanned that account years ago due to inactivity

puma
March 16th, 2018, 11:57

theres literally nothing irresponsible about keeping an account open with a zero balance, you know this. its not like i bailed on bills. clearly the bank isnt doing any type of maintenance, its like space junk - its open and floating around the internet and its on nobodys radar. but its there if i need it and it wasnt easy to open so there was no reason to close it when i left given its way more versatile than inakafuck bank, which i did close.

Satori Shinobi
March 16th, 2018, 12:12
theres literally nothing irresponsible about keeping an account open with a zero balance...its like space junk - its open and floating around the internet and its on nobodys radar... but its there if i need it and it wasnt easy to open so there was no reason to close it when i left...

Looking to get into money laundering?

Ini
March 16th, 2018, 13:54
clearly the bank isnt doing any type of maintenance, its like space junk - its open and floating around the internet and its on nobodys radar.

No, like pretty much every country on earth bank accounts are classed as dormant if there is no activity on them for a prolonged period of time. In Japan after 10 years of inactivity any funds left in them revert to the state who gives it to NPO's to provide welfare and community support projects.

UK holds onto the cash for 15 years. Canada transfers the cash to the bank of canada after 10 but you have 30 years to claim it back (100 years if its over 1000 dollars). Australia takes the money after 7 but you can claim it back anytime you want.

your account has only been inactive for 6 and a half years, you could have just been on holiday as far as the bank is concerned.

Jiggit
March 17th, 2018, 13:29
You can take the ALT out of Japan but you can't take the total cluelessness out of the ALT.