PDA

View Full Version : VISA Debit

Saihken
May 4th, 2017, 10:33
Hey Everyone,

Just a question about VISA Debit. The bank I'm currently with (Shinsei) doesn't offer VISA Debit cards. Does anyone know of a foreigner friendly bank that has VISA Debit cards. I tried SMTB but they, in a very Japanese way, said... You're a foreigner we aren't giving you a bank account. Any ideas? What banks do you guys use?

Thanks in advance

Jiggit
May 4th, 2017, 18:10
Can't help you sorry, I had the same issues. I ended up just getting a credit card for those kinds of transactions, is that a no go?

Gizmotech
May 4th, 2017, 18:50
Ya a credit card might as well be a debit given it doesn't cost you anything to pay it all off on the next bill

Saihken
May 4th, 2017, 18:56
Yeah, I looked in to that but my Japanese isn't good enough to sign up for a credit card in Japan. I don't want to sign up for a credit card back home because I would be forced to pay International transaction fees etc. Aren't credit cards really hard for foreigners to get in Japan?

Gizmotech
May 5th, 2017, 18:34
Dunno, I got one in my fourth year, but I hear about newbies getting em super easy.

Ini
May 5th, 2017, 19:06
credit card - rakuten seems to hand them out to roundeyes without too much trouble.

Visa debit - japannetbank is a pretty safe bet

word
May 6th, 2017, 23:47
credit card - rakuten seems to hand them out to roundeyes without too much trouble.

Visa debit - japannetbank is a pretty safe betword

I got a CC with my bank (Shinkin)(f*ck them, tho; they're one of those banks that opens at nine, closes at three, and shuts down their ATMs for anything that might be a holiday for anyone) after just a couple o' years in, first try. I've heard different things, but you don't need particularly awesome J-go abilities to fill out the apps, and if you ask someone for help, they'll probably just do the whole thing for you.

I got a Japannetbank account a few years ago and they sent me a visa debit as a matter of course. I preferred to use my Shinkin CC at that point, but it was kinda cool to have.