PDA

View Full Version : Applying to companies simultaneously?

mirai
August 21st, 2017, 12:52
I still have a couple of years before I'll be applying to JET, but I'm wondering if others would recommend also applying to AEON/Interac etc. at the same time? And I'm wondering if applying to another company at the same time would somehow make you less eligible for JET? I read that a possible interview question for JET is about if you would apply to another company if you didn't get accepted. Has anyone encountered this question and if so how did you deal with it?
Also, do most companies kind of tell you where you would be placed before you accept the job or after? I'm guessing the latter is true but it would be nice if you could get more choice between locations if you apply to another company, along with of course the higher chance you'll get accepted. Has anyone had experience with applying to multiple ELT companies?

Thanks for your help!

Gizmotech
August 22nd, 2017, 07:23
Companies don't necessarily tell you where you will be placed either, unless it's one of the much smaller chains/independants. You goto their central training spot X/Y, train up, get shipped off to place Z for a couple of years, and should you stay around then you can transfer internally to a better posting.

JET on the other hands doesn't tell you where you are going specifically until well after the April hiring has started for various reasons.

So you will decide to work privately for an April departure, or for JET on an August departure.

mothy
August 22nd, 2017, 08:32
Because of the different intake schedules, applying to seperate programs might leave you in a situation where you need to accept a job offer before you know what's happening with JET.

Ini
August 22nd, 2017, 08:56
It seems the most common strategy is to apply for JET first then see how you get on with the whole application and interview process before applying to private companies.

mirai
August 23rd, 2017, 15:30
Thanks a lot for the answers everyone! This is really helpful!
Honestly I feel like a have a really good chance with JET, I always just get anxious and feel like I need some kind of "back up".
Thanks!

mrcharisma
August 24th, 2017, 18:22
Altia Central is one that might work reasonably well alongside the Jet app as they have a September intake. It seems to be a much better deal than the likes of Interac as well.

OatsCurrySummer
August 25th, 2017, 02:24
Altia Central is one that might work reasonably well alongside the Jet app as they have a September intake. It seems to be a much better deal than the likes of Interac as well.

I was actually considering them for when I finish my contract next year :/

Ini
August 25th, 2017, 04:49
Aiming big I see...

OatsCurrySummer
August 26th, 2017, 05:58
Aiming big I see...
Oh yes, I forgot about the countless opportunities available to a fat try-hard with N4 level Japanese. Can you direct me to them?

mothy
August 26th, 2017, 14:18
I got hired to non-dispatch.

mirai
August 29th, 2017, 15:20

I hadn't heard of Altia before but I checked them out. The website seems less professional than JET but I think I might consider this either while applying to JET or maybe closer to my JET contract ending if I did get on JET. I kind of like their placement areas, seems a little less remote than you can end up with on JET. Thanks!