PDA

View Full Version : Anyone applying for 2018?

phthalocyanine
September 15th, 2017, 10:59
Hi!
Does anyone still use this site...? Unsure, but I thought I'd throw this thread out there anyway. I like old school forums like this more than the format of Reddit.

I'm from Canada, applying for an ALT position in the 2018 intake. The application portal just opened and I'm starting to draft my SOP. It might be nice to have a thread to chat or swap SOPs with any fellow applicants!

Anyway, nice to meet you.

mothy
September 16th, 2017, 12:44
there's still a few people around. you might be the only user applying for 2018 though. but it's still early, some more usually pop up.

cranguy
September 26th, 2017, 02:54
2011-2013 Hokkaido alum here re-applying for the 2018 year.

Cheese
September 26th, 2017, 03:15
Yep, I'm finally applying for 2018! Just waiting for the app to go live.

cranguy
September 26th, 2017, 03:29
Not sure if this is "news" or not but the SAMPLE 2018 application is available here: https://jetprogramusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2018-Application-Form-SAMPLE-1.pdf

phthalocyanine
September 26th, 2017, 05:40
Hi to you both!
Cranguy, how was your time in Hokkaido? What made you decide to reapply?

The Canadian app opened last week and right now I'm working towards a final draft of my personal statement. I also requested reference letters and my transcripts. I think that's all the paperwork I need...? I thought I'd need a doctor's note but apparently if you have no medical history a note is not needed until after one passes the interview. I still feel like I'm missing something, haha.

OatsCurrySummer
September 26th, 2017, 08:46

Also interested in this answer.
I would consider doing JET again after this contract is up as long as I can get a different placement.

cranguy
September 27th, 2017, 01:59
Hi to you both!

Honestly it was one of the most fulfilling things I've done in my life. Which is a primary reason I want to go back. I had an amazing small-town placement (in the town of Kikonai) where I got along swimmingly with my BOE and they treated me well. I'm going to try to request Kikonai again if possible.

I've been running a small online business back in the US which has gone "ok" but I underestimated the real costs of rent, insurance, etc, as a self-employed person with literally nobody to back me up. I'm paying the bills but that's about it -- no savings -- and I have that nagging feeling my life isn't going in the direction I anticipated. Not to mention my overall lifestyle (diet, exercise) was better in Japan.

Also interested in this answer.
I would consider doing JET again after this contract is up as long as I can get a different placement.

Be aware that the rules in the US require you to wait 3 years after you have finished a contract before you can apply again.

Cheese
September 27th, 2017, 06:29
US Application is live! May the force be with you all.

Snow
September 29th, 2017, 01:06
Can I ask is it okay to apply online just now and have the 4 application packs sent off in a couple weeks? I'm still waiting on my academic transcript and doctor's note to come back.

phthalocyanine
September 29th, 2017, 01:20
How are you guys structuring your SOPs? I've been writing and rewriting this thing and it's still terrible lol I think I need to go old school and brainstorm on paper... I've been out of university for a year and a half and apparently I forgot how to write...?

Cheese
October 10th, 2017, 01:36
Tofugu has a really good SOP guide, imo. You might want to check that out.

phthalocyanine
October 13th, 2017, 23:46
I checked out Tofugu's guide and it was really helpful! I think I've written something kind of passable but I still need to go through it again and write a final draft. I've collected almost all my other paperwork though and now I'm just waiting for reference letters to arrive in the mail before I can send off the package. eek. How's your application going?