PDA

View Full Version : Hiroshima Prefecture

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 17:21
Well, I finally got my letter and I've been placed in Hiroshima-ken. It was almost my second choice (I applied for Hiroshima-shi) so I'm happy with this!

Will anybody else be joining me? Is anyone already here to tell me how wonderful it is? :?:

adammoogle
May 24th, 2004, 20:38
hey dob, i think i'm in tittori (the name made me laugh) which appears to be in the same general area as you (all though i have no clue where it is or what its like yet)...

so we might not be in spitting distance but if u holla i'm sure i'll be able to holla back. 8)

its all a bit real now ain't it, were really going to japan! hehe :roll:

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 20:41
I hope we're not too far apart, Adam! I'd be very happy being somewhere near you.

I still don't know whereabouts in Hiroshima ken I am, and seeing as the prefecture is over 100km across, this makes me slightly nervous!

cybernezumi
May 25th, 2004, 18:02
According to the email from the LA consulate, I'm going to be in Akimachi in Hiroshima-ken. Near as I can tell, that's a short distance from Miyoshi and about 1.5 hour train ride from the city of Hiroshima. I contacted a JET from Miyoshi and exchanged some email, but haven't yet heard from anyone directly/offically. First choice was Hatsukaichi near Miyajima, so I guess I was placed fairly close to my preference (though its a mountain valley instead of the seaside).

dobharrison
May 25th, 2004, 18:09
Cool! I may well be near you. I just want to find out where exactly I've been placed now!!! Damn you, JET!

dobharrison
June 18th, 2004, 22:39
I'm sure you all know this, but the Yahoo! Group for Hiroshima-ken JETs is at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jetsam/

wasabi_lover
July 1st, 2004, 10:38
Hey gang. I am an outgoing ALT in Shimane Ken ( your western neighbor ).
I thought I would use this space today to talk about my car. It is a 1993 black Honda Civic hatchback. It has 250,000 km on it, which is all highway and has a good stereo and great AC. It is insured until October at which point you would have to insure it. We are asking 170,000 yen OBO delivered to the closest train station to your house. The car also has brand new snow tires that cost 50,000 just last year. We will also give you the chains for the snow tires and the summer tires as well. While most cars ALTs drive small K cars, this one is a regular western size civic hatchback. Great for hauling friends and things around in. PM me or the kanadajin if you are interested.

dobharrison
July 10th, 2004, 02:43
I finally got my placement: Akifuchu High School, about 20 mins bike ride from downtown Hiroshima City! It's just what I wanted, so I'm pretty chuffed with that!

dobharrison
July 24th, 2004, 01:26
You should all have the same email from Jessica Stone but, just in case you haven't, this is the schedule for the first month in Hiroshima-ken:

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the confusion lately. I was away from my desk for a while and the automated absence notice didn't work. So I wasn't avoiding you really!

Many of you are concerned about your statement of agreements reaching us. Rest assured that they have. We would contact you if they didn't. You will be asked to sign the contract again once you arrive here. The statement of agreement was simply to show us that you received and read the information. I'm sorry we should have been more clear about that.

Well I hope by now you have all been in touch with your predecessors and schools. If not please let me know. I hope you're having all your questions answered and are getting things together for your ever approaching departure. How excitting!

I thought I'd let you know a little what to expect once you arrive. You will obviously attend the Tokyo Orientation. There will be some JETs from Hiroshima there and they will be organizing a night out for you to start to get to know each other. So save a little energy for that!

After the Tokyo Orientation, you will be flown into Hiroshima from Tokyo, at no expense to you. Someone from your school will come and pick you up at the airport and take you to your base school, so dress nicely. You will then meet the kocho sensei (principal/headmaster) and other teachers. After which you may be expected to stay at school or they may take you to where you will be staying. You could ask your predecessor or someone from your school for your arrival day's itinerary if you want.

As for the summer though we are going to keep you busy! So don't worry too much about wasting away hours sitting at your desk. The first function is on August 6th. It will be an Induction Ceremony. You will be asked to come to the Board of Education in Hiroshima City to be sworn in as teachers. That ceremony will be followed by workshops on teaching and finally a reception at night. There will be some really big wigs at the reception so be sure to dress snazzy! By that I mean suits of course.

The following week is the Hiroshima Orientation. It will be from August 11th to the 13th. If you live far away you will have to stay in a hotel. You will have to pay the cost of the hotel upfront as well. But never fear you will be reimbursed for your accommodation and transportation afterwards (and usually your reimbursement is more than you actually paid in the first place;). This is the Hiroshima Prefectural Board of Education policy. You are expected to wear business attire to the orientation.

After that, the following week there will be some teacher training for Japanese teachers; however, we need some native English speakers to help out. So not everyone has to go to this but if you are interested in helping out please let me know! That will be from August 16th to the 20th in Saijo (45 minutes East of Hiroshima) at Hiroshima University. This is a great way to get new ideas for teaching and get to know other ALTs. You don't need to be an experienced teacher for this either. You just have to be willing to come and help out.

The following week you will have 'Language and Culture Training' in Saijo from August 23rd to August 27th. Again you will have to pay for your travel and accommodation but you will be reimbursed.

So attendance at all of the above functions, the Induction Ceremony, the Hiroshima Orientation and the Language and Culture Training (not the teacher training though) is mandatory.

Finally, you will be allowed to take 3 days of summer holiday (these are different from your 15 days of holiday) from the beginning of your contract until the end of September. If you do not take these holidays this summer you can use them next year in July 2005 only. To take these holidays you must first get permission for the dates you would like from your school.

Sorry to bombard you with information but I hope it helps you have a better idea of what to expect once you arrive. If you have any questions regarding this information please let me know.

Best regards,

Jessica