PDA

View Full Version : Something seems a bit off...

quasarsglow
May 30th, 2005, 01:26
I haven't gotten my placement yet, but I received a big packet yesterday with a Japanese for JETs book and a handbook for JETs.

Seems a bit ass-backwards to me.

iricat
May 30th, 2005, 13:26
I got my placement really early from Ottawa but I still got the textbook and CD about a week before that.

Fyrey
May 30th, 2005, 14:26
It's perfectly normal, don't worry about it.

Ini
May 30th, 2005, 14:33
you're becoming a man my son

professor_chimpenstein
May 31st, 2005, 12:55
but only once youve walked the said amount of roads. :arrow:

Ini
May 31st, 2005, 13:01
how many roads must a man walk down, before you can call him a man?

172, I counted them

Cynthia
May 31st, 2005, 23:46
Really, 172?

I thought it was 42...

But then again, what do I know about being a man?

Ini
June 1st, 2005, 07:09
172 to be a real man, with a burt reynold tash and tom selleck style chest hair.

Mac_North
June 1st, 2005, 13:18
I thought it was 42...
That is the right answer, but not the right question.

dbridges
June 1st, 2005, 15:02
then how many roads must a woman walk down before you call HER a man?

Fyrey
June 1st, 2005, 15:35
Then it isn't roads, its how many branches of the ugly tree does she hit.

professor_chimpenstein
June 1st, 2005, 17:50
Even if she has a Tom Seleck mustache?

Ini
June 1st, 2005, 19:44
then she would be perfect in everyway

Cynthia
June 1st, 2005, 23:32
Ini's perfect woman:

fake boobs and a tom selleck mustache

8O

professor_chimpenstein
June 1st, 2005, 23:36
or maybe just a fat tom seleck with man boobs

Dynamis
June 1st, 2005, 23:37
Fear not Quasar. I heard about one JET who only found out his placement when he got to Tokyo.

There's not a lot you can do to prepare even if you know your placement, unless your pred is very nice, helpful, and proactive.

Matt

professor_chimpenstein
June 1st, 2005, 23:41
Also just to mention - anyone whos comin to Osaka Shi - I can give you the heads up the hot goss on the peeps who are stayin!

oooooh not havin a successor myself could turn out to be fun!

:twisted:

Cynthia
June 1st, 2005, 23:42
or maybe just a fat tom seleck with man boobs

lol tom-selleck-look-alike transvestite with fake boobs?

But yah, back on point, I hope you get some info soon, quasar! I know my prefecture and that's it. Oh where, oh where has my info packet gone, oh where oh where can it be?

daveski
June 2nd, 2005, 04:53
Realistically, I can't see how they expect anyone to go out to Japan flying blind! I've only got my prefecture so far and it all just makes me think if this is what the organisation is like now...well...am I gonna make it out the other side ?!?!

Ini
June 2nd, 2005, 05:00
no they have pilots who do the flying for you, and they are hardly ever blind. Does it make much difference where you go? Most of rural japan, including the population, all looks the same anyway

dendrite
June 2nd, 2005, 05:32
Realistically, I can't see how they expect anyone to go out to Japan flying blind! I've only got my prefecture so far and it all just makes me think if this is what the organisation is like now...well...am I gonna make it out the other side ?!?!

I think that knowing ahead of time can help, but only so much. When I think of all the things I know on a day-to-day basis personally and at work, and the volume of things I will know in advance about my situation in Japan... I think everyone will have a crapload of adapting and learning to do, no matter what.

I would like some hot goss on my future co-workers, if only because I love the phrase.

daveski
June 2nd, 2005, 08:13
Most of rural japan, including the population, all looks the same anyway

Well I think it's the difference between rural and uber-rural which is of concern. I don't particularly want to be somewhere where literally the only entertainment is whistling in the wind and it is so far from the beaten track that the track is actually quite immaculate!

But yeah whatever - at least this guy agreed me with anyway :smt006

dobharrison
June 2nd, 2005, 11:20
Well I think it's the difference between rural and uber-rural which is of concern. I don't particularly want to be somewhere where literally the only entertainment is whistling in the wind and it is so far from the beaten track that the track is actually quite immaculate!

I don't mean to sound overly-harsh here (and I did wish for the same thing, and am now very happy to be living in a big city!) but why did you apply for JET if this is a big deal for you? JET is primarily a rural programme, with a great deal of the placements in the middle of nowhere.

Songs
June 2nd, 2005, 11:41
I received my placement letter in the same envelope as the books and CD. The letter was signed by the Japanese Consulate General in Hawaii, so maybe it really depends on your local consulate if they include your placement or not. Try calling, I bugged my JET representative a couple times, but she is really nice.

Mere
June 2nd, 2005, 13:31
I think that knowing ahead of time can help, but only so much. When I think of all the things I know on a day-to-day basis personally and at work, and the volume of things I will know in advance about my situation in Japan... I think everyone will have a crapload of adapting and learning to do, no matter what.

And this same thing will continue to happen throughout your duration as a JET. IF you find out something the day before it happens, 2 hours before it happens, consider yourself well informed.

Like Dob said, most of the JET program is rural/suburban placements. You'd better hope you're not my successor! Lovely mountains, winding rivers, and many newly paved imacculate (rarely travelled) roads.

Even if you get a rural placement, most JETs make it out to local events, at least 1 JET gathering in "nantoka" ken, and are involved in some sort of cultural/extra-curricular activity to keep them busy. So unless you enjoy throwing pity parties 24/7, a rural placement shouldn't be too big of a deal.

daveski
June 3rd, 2005, 02:28
I don't mean to sound overly-harsh here (and I did wish for the same thing, and am now very happy to be living in a big city!) but why did you apply for JET if this is a big deal for you? JET is primarily a rural programme, with a great deal of the placements in the middle of nowhere.

If that's you potentially sounding overly-harsh I'd hate to hear you get super angry - phew!! :D

I think you've missed the point a little bit, the fact I have drawn comparison between rural and uber-rural and not urban and rural suggests I appreciate that JET is primarily a rural programme.

Also, as you said you did wish for the same thing (but were placed in a big city and thus negated the need to make the matter a big deal), so retrospectively I could ask you the same question?!

It's not such a biggy about size (as my girlfriend is often telling me), it's more just the uncertainty...but I guess it's all just part of the process!

Ini
June 3rd, 2005, 06:37
It's not such a biggy about size (as my girlfriend is often telling me), it's more just the uncertainty

Er? do you suffer from an erectile disorder? you want to get some of those little blue pills

dobharrison
June 3rd, 2005, 08:28
I think you've missed the point a little bit, the fact I have drawn comparison between rural and uber-rural and not urban and rural suggests I appreciate that JET is primarily a rural programme.

Also, as you said you did wish for the same thing (but were placed in a big city and thus negated the need to make the matter a big deal), so retrospectively I could ask you the same question?!

Fair enough! Just do as I say, not as I do.

professor_chimpenstein
June 3rd, 2005, 15:42
Well I think it's the difference between rural and uber-rural

wow this sounds like a larf a minute

what the hell is uber rural anyways?

I hate words like uber

dont tell me the germans are back again with their fecking lederhosen and ugly fat old people skipping naked in the snow

Ini
June 3rd, 2005, 19:28
uber rural was the most feared SS officer in north africa.

jane_is_ace
June 3rd, 2005, 19:44
'uber' rural is great. I like to go to Osaka and Kyoto from time to time but I'm always mega happy to be back home in the middle of 'nowhere'. It's more peaceful, generally you're treated a bit better than in big cities (in my opinion), and you have rivers, mountains and valleys all on your doorstep. Sure, you may not be able to find cream cheese and cadbury's chocolate, but really, is that important? You will be the same person wherever you are placed, so try not to worry and concentrate on what an amazing oppertunity this is, inaka, city or somewhere in between. You're gonna meet nice people and some real idiots, but thats whats its all about. Your time in Japan is gonna be what you make it, so make it worth all the anxiety of interviews and waiting and go out with a positive mind, wherever they place you.
Through the haze of my feelings of sadness that I will be leaving here in 8 weeks, I can honestly say wherever they place you will become home.

Ini
June 3rd, 2005, 20:22
Ahhh how romantic, you should send that to the jet website. Its all bollocks of course but it sounds good.

jane_is_ace
June 3rd, 2005, 20:43
I wonder if they'd pay me for it.

You're right, it is bollocks, the dogs bollocks.

dobharrison
June 3rd, 2005, 22:30
In Hiroshima, it seems to be the other way round - nice friendly people in the city and weirdo perverts in the countryside. There are exceptions, of course (I'm not in the countryside, for example.)

Is there such a thing as uber urban? That would be uber wicked!