PDA

View Full Version : UK Placements Here!

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 17:31
I got my placement in the post this morning!

(That's according to my mum, anyway, who phoned me at work to let me know. She doesn't usually lie about these things.)

I'm in Hiroshima-ken, which I'm quite happy with!

Sorcha
May 24th, 2004, 17:39
At last!! I will look forward to getting mine very soon then!
Was that your first preference - or where did it rank on your list?

Chiara
May 24th, 2004, 17:40
Congratulations!

awhh man! the post doesnt come till after my mum leaves for work, so i wont know anything until tonight :(

Dynamis
May 24th, 2004, 17:42
Hmm, looks like im driving home in my lunch break...

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 18:12
Sorcha, Hiroshima City was my second preference. At least I'm in the same prefecture, so I kinda got what I wanted!

Now fingers crossed I'm somewhere near Hiroshima City! That would be perfect.

Manshonyagger
May 24th, 2004, 18:14
Okay, give me facts:

What does the envelope look like? Is it the same sort as the interview/secret letters came in (white with a red stamp)? Or the acceptance(brown with Embassy of Japan stamped on it?)? Give me details so I can phone up my mum and get her to check the post for me!

Kat
May 24th, 2004, 18:19
Guys, im ooopp north.

I wanted kansai goddamit!

So, you wanna go snowboarding, im your gal!

Mmm, still undecided as to whether this is good or not!!

best go look for more info!!

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 18:20
I must reiterate that I haven't actually seen the envelope yet. My mum opened it for me and phoned me as I was walking into work. A nice start to Monday!

WuTAN
May 24th, 2004, 18:44
if it's any consolation, paul, i still haven't received my placement details either...

Dave
May 24th, 2004, 19:03
Still no post......where is it? why isn't it here? it's past 11 now. I'm so excited!

Dave
May 24th, 2004, 19:08
by the way Kat...if you don't want your placement I'll have it! :D Is it Hokkaido?

edinburger
May 24th, 2004, 19:08
well, that's me off to drive the 30 miles home just to see if I have received anything . Hope it's worth it.

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 19:14
well, that's me off to drive the 30 miles home just to see if I have received anything . Hope it's worth it.

Oh my god! What have I done!?!

adammoogle
May 24th, 2004, 19:17
well i dunno about any post but i got an email this morning from tottori so maybe i'm going there???

anyone no where the hell it is, i'm at work and risking my life just typing this! 8O

anyways, good luck anyone, looks like the waitings finally over!! :D

Dave
May 24th, 2004, 19:23
this is so sad...I've actually moved the computer into the front room so I can watch for the postman. I'm leaving for a mini holiday in wales at 1pm and I won't have chance to do any research.....this is doing my head in!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sinbad
May 24th, 2004, 19:43
Don't get too excited. I've already checked todays post, and it was nothing but bills :( ..... so I'm still waiting.

Ger
May 24th, 2004, 19:57
I got an email from my predecessor this morning :D

I'll be in Asakura Machi, Fukuoka.

Not too far from Fukuoka which is where I wanted so I'm chuffed. She says I'll arrive on August 4th so I'm assuming I'm in group B.

Good luck to all who don't yet know and please contact me if you are going to be anywhere near me.

Kat
May 24th, 2004, 20:22
Not quite Hokkaido dave, but i am close to Russia. Excellent.

You guys are ALL down south, where the hell have they put me!?!!?!?!

So not fair!! Im going to stamp my feet and throw my toys around now!

Nah, it aint that bad. i hope....

Dave, where did u request? Maybe there will be someone within 500 miles of me?

Dave
May 24th, 2004, 20:24
Kat I didn't request anywwhere.....but I'd love to be up there in the frozen north! Maybe they're bunching the geekt German students together??

akko
May 24th, 2004, 20:35
I've just been placed in Gifu, if anyone else has been placed there or knows anything about it, get in touch.

cwa2003@hotmail.com

richardp
May 24th, 2004, 21:02
Haha, Niigata isn't way up north. It's more less about the same distance north as Tokyo but on the west coast, from what the bd guys say it's a pretty decnet placement :)

Dynamis
May 24th, 2004, 21:15
OK, i drove home, and made it back with 5 mins to spare.

Fukuoka prefecture, here I come!!!!

Kat
May 24th, 2004, 21:26
Gawdddd dave, could u imagine? Damm, i dont wanna be stuck with german students, bar you of course. They're all weird!

Yeah i know rich, but it's north of where i wanted! Man im a whinging little bitch!!

So, anyone wanna swap?

Alex
May 24th, 2004, 22:06
Don't get too excited. I've already checked todays post, and it was nothing but bills :( ..... so I'm still waiting.

Me too.... :cry:

This is torture.....

zkac054
May 24th, 2004, 22:22
Matt you're in Fukuoka? Wow, that's the next prefecture to me! Ha ha guess I can get to visit you once in a while. :D

dandandiddly
May 24th, 2004, 23:05
No post this morning for me either :cry:

So I take it that they are sending the stuff to your home address then??? 'cos when I got my acceptance letter, I got 2 copies - one to home and one to my uni address.

What kind of information is there in the pack? What does the letter say????

Sorry, am also kind of panicking....big style

You're right - this is TORTURE! Just thank the lord exams are over and I don't have to worry about them anymore either.

Laura
May 24th, 2004, 23:40
Haven't got mine yet either :|

Chiara
May 25th, 2004, 00:01
My mum just got back to her house and there's no post :'(

I can't wait another day, I just can't!

clhughes
May 25th, 2004, 00:17
Hey all,
d envelopes d old standard A4 brown 1 d last lot of stuff has come in, I called up a lil before and sounds like from now on stuff is only being sent to ur home address (not both) tho i imagine u can change that 4 future postings if u call them up...?

gotta favour 2 ask, totally stoked with my placement, didn't specify where i wanted 2 go but managed 2 get Ichinomiya town in Chiba, ne1 know owt about it? the one page in english said there was sum surf, which was enuf 2 make me jump up & down and call up a tonn of ppl, now i've calmed down (a bit) i've started 2 wonder- what is this place? what's it look like etc etc-u know d usual q's, so if ne1 has ne idea i'd appreciate some feedback!!!

Hope u all got what u wanted!
Clare

melanwee
May 25th, 2004, 00:29
my mum just rang, i'm going to niigata, not sure where yet, the letter only says prefecture (does anyone elses have any more info?)

not sure how i'm going to deal with the cold and snow, just keeping my fingers crossed im not in the middle of nowhere!

oh, last exam is tommorrow, i really wish i hadn't found this out until after that, no way going to do any work tonight!!!

Dynamis
May 25th, 2004, 01:05
Matt you're in Fukuoka? Wow, that's the next prefecture to me! Ha ha guess I can get to visit you once in a while. :D

Yeah, that's cool. You know anything about the area? Has Ash heard yet?

See you soon, eh?

zkac022

richuk
May 25th, 2004, 01:07
haven't posted for a while, but I got Kobe City!! My first choice so I'm pretty happy....

Anybody else choose there? I went for it due to its proximity to Osaka and Kyoto, and because of the mountains etc......Anybody else been posted in Hygoya? (Can't even spell the name of the prefecture!)

Really excited now.......for once the London postmen were early!

Cornelius
May 25th, 2004, 01:52
I didn't get anything this morning - probably just gonna take 2 days to get to this hellhole they call N.I.

Congratulations to everyone who has been put out of their misery.

Yeah Paul, if people are getting the letters now, we should get them either tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. The same thing happened with the last mailing they did to me - with the passing of the interview. N.I. always seems to be a day or two behind everywhere else.

Manshonyagger
May 25th, 2004, 02:50
Nothing for me neither. This is geographical discrimination, this is! They should post ours out early so we get 'em the same time as everybody else! :wink:

Cornelius
May 25th, 2004, 03:00
Nothing for me neither. This is geographical discrimination, this is! They should post ours out early so we get 'em the same time as everybody else! :wink:

Ahh, I wish that were the case.

Btw, love the Kero avatar. :)

clhughes
May 25th, 2004, 03:19
Hey Paul

Sorry if I insulted you so greatly by writing in shorthand, I'd ran home at lunch and spent most of my time searching for information on my placement. At the last minute, I decided to place my first post on your site asking if anyone had any information regarding my placement.Since I had little time left I wrote my message as quickly as I could, using shorthand being an obvious choice under the circumstances. I hoped it would be understood, obviously it was since you recognised what it was the 1, 4 and 2's stood for. I shall, however, reiterate my request for you, I've got a placement in Ichinomiya-Machi, Chiba. Do you know anything about this town?
thanks for your help
sorry 4 upsetting you

Clare

dannoot
May 25th, 2004, 05:18
Hey All,

My leter went to my home adress this morning and my sister rang me, nothing to my uni address so far. I've been placed in Kubota, Saga-ken. It's not too bad as it's the next placement to Fukuoka-ken, which is where I was hoping to go. Anyone know anything about Saga?

The wait is almost over for everyone else, hopefully you'll all hear something tomorrow :D

Daniel.

adammoogle
May 25th, 2004, 05:25
my dad gets stuff about cheap insurance and holidays from saga...hes not very happy about it...

dannoot
May 25th, 2004, 05:42
Hehe I knew someone would come up with that joke! Please tell me Saga prefecture isn't full of the kind of people who use Saga Insurance in England! :? Or else I'll die!!

Manshonyagger
May 25th, 2004, 05:59
Manshonyagger wrote:
Nothing for me neither. This is geographical discrimination, this is! They should post ours out early so we get 'em the same time as everybody else! Wink

Ahh, I wish that were the case.

Btw, love the Kero avatar.

Kero kero kero!!
Sgt. Frog is my Gundam-loving god. Going by your avatar, you must be an otaku, too. Imagine that, another anime fan in the trackless wastes of the North...

Cornelius
May 25th, 2004, 06:18
Kero kero kero!!
Sgt. Frog is my Gundam-loving god. Going by your avatar, you must be an otaku, too. Imagine that, another anime fan in the trackless wastes of the North...

I know, whodathunkit?

Good luck on finding out where you are going, by the way.

C.

innocentash
May 25th, 2004, 06:24
I'm up north again (well relatively), Hyogo for me boys...

Yorkshire – Hyogo, same thing!

zkac006

Sorcha
May 25th, 2004, 17:19
Yeah Paul, if people are getting the letters now, we should get them either tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. The same thing happened with the last mailing they did to me - with the passing of the interview. N.I. always seems to be a day or two behind everywhere else.
Guys, I got my letter yesterday (Monday). It was sent to my Fermanagh address - obviously we are a little more with the times there than you Belfast boys! Anyway, I have been placed in Aomori - thought I chose Hokkaido as my first preference, but maybe not... Looks quite nice from the limited info I can find out about it - it has the most northernly population of monkeys in the world! Great! Anyone else going here/ near hear??

Sinbad
May 25th, 2004, 17:52
Found out today I'm in Fukui prefecture, group B. Not any of my 3 choices, but I think it will still fit the bill in being close to some ski areas, and not too far from Kyoto or Oksaka.

Apparently the capital is a bit of a dump, and it is home to the rudest people in Japan...
oh well... anyone else in the Chubu region?

Cornelius
May 25th, 2004, 18:42
Heh, you echo my thoughts exactly.

After saying I don't mind waiting for it, now that I know it's winging its way to me, I'm feeling particularly anxious.

What time does the post arrive down your way? For me its anything from 11am-2:30pm...

Lia
May 25th, 2004, 18:51
at last the waiting is over !
i've been placed in Kochi, first chioce so i'm a happy chappy today :)
im in Group B.. anyone else off to Kochi?
Lia xx

Fyrey
May 25th, 2004, 20:23
I was so gutted this morning when there was no post - but turns out they posted it to my folks!

I'll be in Chiba pref, near Tokyo International Airport apparently and not too far from Tokyo itself. Which is cool, seeing as I kinda hoped you lot wouldn't put Tokyo down as your first choice (coz of the old cliche - everyone applies, but no one gets) - you see? the merits of reverse psychology.

Yes yes, I know I'm a loser for wanting Tokyo and spurning that idyllic rural lifestyle. (this is in response to a post by yakaji somewhere bemoaning Tokyo applicants)

Anyway, rant over, I'm much happier, especially as I have the flu and my dissertation is due in tomorrow.

Fyrey
May 25th, 2004, 20:36
Hey Paul,

Just so you know, I really feel for you on this. I was so gutted, and while being ill just was a big combined downer.

Trust me though, when you see that big brown envelope (which admittedly neither myself nor many others have actually seen) you'll feel on top the world.

Alex
May 25th, 2004, 21:15
IT HAS ARRIVED!

So... I put down Kansai, Kanto and Hokkaido as my preferences... and they have placed me in:

Kyushu!!

I am going to Kumamoto - I even know the name of the school - Chinzei High School - from the pictures on it's site it looks.... erm BIG.

Does anyone know how you actually get to Kumamoto from Tokyo???

Alex
PS: to those still waiting - it's worth it.... you won't be able to sleep tonight... but I tell you it's worth it 8)

zkac054
May 25th, 2004, 22:13
Hey Alex, you'll travel with the rest of the new JETs in your prefecture, most likely you'll take a plane (paid for). I'm in Yamaguchi which is the prefecture next to yours, and it took about 1 hour for us.

Fyrey
May 25th, 2004, 22:20
you will keep the site running right? :lol:

Cornelius
May 25th, 2004, 22:22
Ok, I have finally cracked under the pressure. I've emailed the jet desk - I'll not be surprised if they reply back with the number for the samaritans

Not a bad idea. I think I may try that as well. (jet desk that is)

C.

Alex
May 25th, 2004, 22:37
Hey Alex, you'll travel with the rest of the new JETs in your prefecture, most likely you'll take a plane (paid for). I'm in Yamaguchi which is the prefecture next to yours, and it took about 1 hour for us.

Great - thanks for the info... oooh started to get excited!! OK will shut up now as I am sure I am bugging the hell out of those that are still waiting :wink:

dandandiddly
May 25th, 2004, 22:41
Got my placement through the post this morning!! I'm off to my second choice of Hiroshima-ken, a place called akitakata-city (Just off to google it now!) so if any of you know (are) my predecessor, then let me know!!! Or have any info about the area, then would be greatly appreciated, ta!
Leaving in group b too.

Congratulations to the rest of you UK JETS!!

candy4juju
May 25th, 2004, 23:46
I'll be joining everyone in group b on my way to Aomori city, 1st choice and apple capital - so excited now it seems real!!!!!

Jonathan
May 25th, 2004, 23:48
Hiya

I received my letter today so I can safely say that I'm going to...

Minamitane, Tanegashima Island, Kagoshima prefecture

Group A

:)

Jonathan

xx

Woody
May 26th, 2004, 00:21
Hi,

I've never posted before, but thought I would say hello!

I've just got my placement - Narao town, Nagasaki prefecture. Narao is on a tiny island, part of the Goto Islands 50 miles west of Nagasaki! I can't believe I'm so far from the mainland! I'll have to make lots of boat trips to Nagasaki! The area looks beautiful though, and think it will be nice to be part of a small community.

Anyone else on any of these islands?!

john_n2000
May 26th, 2004, 01:04
Just found out that i'll be in Yawata town,Yamagata. Looks pretty rural but i'm sure it'l be a laugh. Anyone else heading out round that way?

John

dannoot
May 26th, 2004, 02:24
IT HAS ARRIVED!

So... I put down Kansai, Kanto and Hokkaido as my preferences... and they have placed me in:

Kyushu!!

I am going to Kumamoto - I even know the name of the school - Chinzei High School - from the pictures on it's site it looks.... erm BIG.

Does anyone know how you actually get to Kumamoto from Tokyo???

Hi Alex,

I studied Japanese at uni and spent 4 months in Kumamoto as an exchange student last year. I'm jealous! You're lucky as Kumamoto is a really nice place :) and at least there'll be a bit more life there than sleepy-looking Saga-ken where I'm off to!

Daniel.

Chiara
May 26th, 2004, 02:39
I had hoped my 100thpost might have been a cheerier one, but alas no.

I asked for: Kyoto-shi, Kyoto-fu, Osaka-shi.

I got: Toyama-fu. No more specific than that.

It's on the northern coast of Chubu.

It's REALLY not what I wanted.

adammoogle
May 26th, 2004, 02:53
cheer up chiara, it could be worse...u could still be waiting for a confirmation...in the vain hope that the email you got was just some cruel hoax...that the 10 months of siberian winter are not true... 8O ...whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! :cry:

oh well, we can always travel...except for when were snowed in... :o

Chiara
May 26th, 2004, 06:33
OK, so I've rallied myself somewhat. It's not where I wanted, AT ALL, but it's still good.

It's roughly 3 hours by train to Tokyo or Osaka, so that's not too bad.

Plus, I can now boast that I am part of the prefecture that has the Snow Grouse, Tateyama Cedar and Japanese Serow (an antelope-like animal) as it's Prefectural Symbols. Yes.

and hah! eat this, therestofyous! ;)

Toyama,having the highest ratio of road repairs in the nation,is building its social capital and also with the low incidence of fires,eathquakes and crime,it is one of the safest places in Japan to live

Sinbad
May 26th, 2004, 17:32
I'm just trying to work out where everyone is in relation to me (Fukui-ken , north chubu,) and found this map to be very helpful.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/mapindex/E/mapindex.html

PS Chiara- hey its not that bad.... you can take up snowboarding, plus you're not too far away from the big cities.

I was initialy dissapointed about my placement, but the more info I find, the more excited I get about it.

Fyrey
May 26th, 2004, 18:10
Paul, after such a long wait, you could at least do us all the courtesy of sounding at least slightly enthused about even receiving the pack.

Alex
May 26th, 2004, 18:31
[/quote]

Hi Alex,

I studied Japanese at uni and spent 4 months in Kumamoto as an exchange student last year. I'm jealous! You're lucky as Kumamoto is a really nice place :) and at least there'll be a bit more life there than sleepy-looking Saga-ken where I'm off to!

Daniel.[/quote]

Hey Daniel - get yourself over to the Kumamoto thread in the Kyushu post. There are a few of us who have been placed there now and I am sure others would be keen to hear your opinion on the area too.

Manshonyagger
May 26th, 2004, 19:17
I'm going to Hokkaido. Nothing more specific for now. Group B.

Orientation is in Edinburgh on the 12th and 13th of July.

Wheeeee!

Cornelius
May 26th, 2004, 20:21
Well, I can now relax a bit.

Iwate Prefecture.

I'm part of Group A, and will be going to the orientation in London.

C.

rocky_racoon
May 26th, 2004, 23:42
yep group A here too,
im off too miyagi prefec/murata town somewhere that way :arrow:

rocky_racoon
May 27th, 2004, 00:18
lol its a pity you and steve are in group b and flying from edinburgh or we could have formed a band although i guess the embassy were right to put us as far away as possible due to the screaming hoards who would meet us at the airport.....jfk circa 1964.....later..

dobharrison
May 27th, 2004, 00:33
Paul, is your avatar somebody famous - she looks familiar.

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 00:53
yep group A here too,

*Follows arrow*

All I can see is a bookcase.

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 00:54
Yea, I suppose they thought 2 norn iron blokes are rowdy enough :)

And you know, they have a point. :)

rocky_racoon
May 27th, 2004, 08:00
yep group A here too,

*Follows arrow*

use the force cornelius and you will see...now lets try it again :arrow:

rocky_racoon
May 27th, 2004, 08:03
cornelius you live in london right? Can i get a bus to brunel uni from victoria station or is it better by train....cheers........

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 17:13
*Follows arrow*

use the force cornelius and you will see...now lets try it again :arrow:

No, I can still see a bookcase.

Wait, wait a minute...

...wow.

That's cool.

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 17:20
cornelius you live in london right? Can i get a bus to brunel uni from victoria station or is it better by train....cheers........

Sorry rocky, but I don't live in London. I'm in good old Belfast. This of course means that I have to work out

a) The best, cheapest flight to get to London
b) A way to get from the airport to Brunel
c) Some other form of identification (other than a passport) that will allow me to travel back to Belfast - I'm quite light in that department - no drivers, nothing.

Where are you living Rocky?

C.

rocky_racoon
May 27th, 2004, 22:55
yay :D i'm in the same boat although don't know yet whether or not i'll be going to liverpool the weekend before the orientation or just going straight there from belfast ( i'm from derry by the way) i will know more by the weekend.......
the cheapest i can find at the minute is easyjet

dep: sun 4th may 7.30am returning on tue 6th 20.55

total cost inc tax is £65.98 ( there is a flight leaving wed morn at 7.30 am which will knock a tenner of the overall flight)

these flights are from aldergrove/stanstead

whatever route I take is gonna be a trifle expensive cos of hostels /transport/beer money etc and i aint a happy bunny about it cos I cant find any trees with money growing on them...oh i reckon then the best way to get to brunel would be bus from victoria station although I could be wrong about that..i'll check this out later....

Dave
May 27th, 2004, 22:58
Dudes!

I'm off to Ninomiya Town, Tochigi. That's just north of Tokyo....and that's all I know!! I have a feeling it's very Inaka as I can't find any info on the place!

Oh and I'm Group B, orientation in London :)