PDA

View Full Version : UK Orientation

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 20:57
I've heard that the orientation will be at Brunel University in Middlesex! Is this true?

WuTAN
May 24th, 2004, 21:12
someone told me that it was at the University of Westminster in central London... could someone with the placement info give us the details?

joe
May 24th, 2004, 21:25
5/6th july brunel university, uxbridge, middlesex

I dont have my letter here cos I got my sister to open it for me as I'm not at home..

Kat
May 24th, 2004, 21:35
we must be getting split up, ive got the dates as 7-8th!!

no way!

not only will i mss out on tokyo drinks but london too!

zkac054
May 24th, 2004, 22:20
The orientation is split between the groups. Group A and B are seperate. And yes it's in Brunel university, you share a room with someone random in a dorm room, it's en-suite which is a good thing I guess.

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 22:23
Would this be a bad time to mention my penchant for sleepmurdering?

Alex
May 24th, 2004, 22:26
Does anyone know if it's mandatory to stay overnight? I can get there quite easily on the tube so would prefer my own bed if at all possible ;-)

joe
May 24th, 2004, 22:42
Does anyone know if it's mandatory to stay overnight? I can get there quite easily on the tube so would prefer my own bed if at all possible ;-)

same - I think I would rather do that. Although do you think we might miss out on the first prefectural get togethers etc??

zkac054
May 24th, 2004, 22:46
No it's not mandatory, but you do miss the local get together and meeting people from your ken.

Alex
May 24th, 2004, 22:47
I reckon it would still be easy (if you lived in London) to get a late tube home and not miss out on too much ;-) And just think - whoever is down to share with me will get their own room! Can't be a bad thing for anyone....

Dynamis
May 24th, 2004, 22:53
Details for Group B, from London embassy (me!)

Orientation 7th-8th July at Brunel University. (Uxbridge, about 60mins from central London)
Departure 31st July.

Orientation finishes at 5pm, and then there's an optional reception at the Japenese embassy at 6pm !!??

Anyone else want to go meet Minister Seiji Kojima, even if the timing's a bit tight...?

Matt

Lesley
May 25th, 2004, 04:39
Anyone else want to go meet Minister Seiji Kojima, even if the timing's a bit tight...? I'm planning on attending. I hope lots of people stay for it - I don't want to be one of the only new JETs there. It may be a little awkward, especially if they ask me anything in Japanese (although I really DO intend to master it before then :? ).

nitrate
May 25th, 2004, 04:49
ok, now those lucky uk people should have got home and looked through their stuff, can someone please tell me if the following info is there:

1)is there a list of destinations for each orientation group?
2)is there a list of destinations for each deparature group?

If the answer to either, or both, of these questions is yes, please can you tell which group Okinawa is in!

thank you very much

amul

Shotokai
May 25th, 2004, 06:10
Group A are one the 5th and 6th of July. that's me,

shoto

lorenzokenzo
May 25th, 2004, 06:15
No info here Amul...i assume that those in group A got to Brunel on the 5th and 6th July and those in Group B like myself go on the 7th and 8th..

What is with Brunel university at the moment??...i've been doing some work there over the last few months..its not the most attractive campus i've come across but the food in the canteen is alright..

anyway, look forward to meeting all of you in group B..

Shotokai
May 25th, 2004, 06:33
oh and it's in brunel uni, for grp A.

richardp
May 25th, 2004, 07:13
Eek, does that include Edinburgh people too?

No edinburgh uni.

Hannah
May 26th, 2004, 06:00
Oops! I just started a thread in General! 4got about the JET bit on this site. doh!

Anyway, I am in group B so c u at Brunel, 7th-8th July!

I think I will stay for the reception afterwards. Will anyone else be staying in London that night? (She says trying to wangle another day off school!)

Don't worry Lesley, you won't be alone! At least Matt will be able there to look after us! :lol: Cheers Matt me ol' mucker! Are you getting the train from Swindonia? I will be getting on at Didgrot if so (That is 'Didcot' incase you are not familiar with Oxfordshire stations!)

Hannah X

Dynamis
May 26th, 2004, 17:56
How could I forget the name of place with so many opportunities for embarrasing mis-spellings.

Anyway, I've not decided coach, train, or car yet. Train is WELL expensive (about 60 quid, i think) Coach takes ages. So its looking like I'll be driving down the M4 in my Fiesta. I'll be availing myself of public transport to the embassy though. Hell, you never know, they might even sort something out for us (fat chance).

Matt

Cornelius
May 26th, 2004, 19:45
I have no choice I'm afraid - 60 quid for a return flight from Belfast to Edinburgh. Looks like I'm getting to be a real JET-setter! *runs for the doors before things are thrown at him*

It just so happens they are doing a sale on tomatoes round the corner from me...

;)

Dynamis
May 26th, 2004, 20:19
Irish planes dont have JETs. The passengers have to get out and push. They know they're safe if they dont look down, you see.

Dynamis
May 27th, 2004, 22:30
I've got a question about getting to Brunel. Does the tube run out to within walking distance of the Uni? I looked for train tickets, but no website can find a station in Uxbridge??

How are people planning to get there if they aren't drving?

Matt

Alex
May 27th, 2004, 22:36
Here, this might help (it is Uxbridge campus we have to go to right?): http://www.brunel.ac.uk/campus/uxbridge/uxacc.html

I plan on getting the tube and then the bus - though no idea how long that bus journey is - assuming no more than 10mins... :?

lorenzokenzo
May 28th, 2004, 23:03
I just rang EJEF about the orientation are i've been told that the dress is casual..great i can where my cut off jeans and string vest then..

dobharrison
May 28th, 2004, 23:24
I just rang EJEF about the orientation are i've been told that the dress is casual..great i can where my cut off jeans and string vest then..

Aww, I want to be in Group B now!!!

Hannah
May 29th, 2004, 03:50
Hi,

It takes about an hour to get from Uxbridge to central London.

2 options:

1.) Piccadilly line from Uxbridge straight to Green Park. (nearest stop to Embassy)

or

2.) Metropolitan Line to Baker Street and the Jubilee Line from there to Green Park. (I have been told this may be quicker).

It doesn't take long to walk from Piccadilly either.

Hope this helps.

Hannah X

Ps Not decided if driving or catching train yet? Proabably train...

Dynamis
May 29th, 2004, 04:24
Realising that i would have to pay full price for the train (no cheap day return) sealed it for me. Anyone want a lift from Swindon to Brunel?

Matt

dannoot
May 29th, 2004, 21:38
Am I the only tight person in the world, or does anyone else think that JET should be paying for our travel to the orientation? I know JET is an 'exchange programme' but at the end of the day, it's still a proper job, and most other companies would pay travel expenses for a training course! Or maybe I'm just a bitter, skint, recent graduate! lol :lol:

Kat
May 31st, 2004, 01:57
damn right they should be paying!

I was anoyed they didnt pay interview costs, that cost me a good 50-60 quid!

But then, yeah im a skank student too...!

Matt, so do you fancy a trip down the M5? You can pick me up down there if you like!;-)

Hannah
May 31st, 2004, 04:21
I agree Kat,

They are a bit stingy on the expenses! My parents keep saying "I hope it's worth it" (I will also be taking a big drop in salary to go, my choice, I know!) There was no budging on that! I already tried the "I'm a qualified teacher" line!

It costs more catching the train to London during peak times; from Didgrot [soz, Didcot!] anyway so no cheap tickets if I set off on the Wednesday morning (oooh, that is early!) Anyone else coming down the night before? I'm tempted...

I really hope there is no-one from Didcot lurking on here!

Hannah X

PS Are we gonna attempt to meet up at the orientation? Post here if you want to arrange a ITIL gathering!

JayDubya
May 31st, 2004, 22:34
Greetings all! :D

So how many peeps are going to the Picadilly thing? The timing is a bit tight. It's difficult to make a good impression on the Minister of you know you're gonna turn up late :!:

But, I think I should really be taking every opportunity to meet as many people as I can, sure it will be beneficial and reflect well.

Not sure how im getting to Brunel yet, might drive. Does anyone know if i drove, would i be able to leave a car at the uni while i gallavanted off the the reception in London?

Fresh.
Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Jw.
Group B, Fukuoka pref.

Hannah
June 1st, 2004, 03:41
Hi JW,

I'm sure it would be ok to leave your car at Uxbridge, but would you want to trapse back there after the reception? (It is about an hour away) :(

Where are you travelling from?

I love driving, and don't do trains as a rule, but I'm making an acception for this... Don't fancy the idea of having to go all the way back to Ux at night on the tube... (unknown territory). At least I know the way from Piccadilly to Paddington to Home!

I have gone through the same thought process as I'm sure everyone has!

I just think where London is concerned keeping off the road and sticking to public transport is probably your best bet.

However you decide to travel, C U there!

Hannah X

Also group B Gojo, Nara (on the Wayayama and Osaka boarder!)
intending to go to Ambassador's reception, and hoping for ferero roche!

PS I think we will be able to leave the orientation early.. At least I will be sneaking off back to my room to get a shower and changed! :twisted:

lorenzokenzo
June 1st, 2004, 04:13
Was thinking of bringing some Ferero Roche just for the fun of it and pretending we are all in some slightly sexy softly focussed 80's advert with bad french accents..

Hannah
June 1st, 2004, 04:29
Yey for the 80's ferero roche!!!

:lol:

Laura
June 1st, 2004, 04:31
Oh monsieur, you are really spoiling us! :wink:

JayDubya
June 1st, 2004, 05:58
Hi Hannah & all...

I'll be travelling from Andover, Hampshire. Not too far from London.

Was just thinking about the car thing as i just finished uni and want to see and end to the whole public transport idea. Maybe i'll get the choo choo though.

Have you guys all sent back the reception replies?

Dynamis
June 1st, 2004, 18:03
Hi everyone!

Yes, i sent my reply to the reception by email straight away (limited spaces and all that). Given how much emphasis the Japanese place on personal connections, introductions, and networking, i think its would be foolish not to go.

Sadly, im rubbish at all the above, so I'll probably have my foot in my mouth all evening... oh well..

I plan on leaving my car at uxbridge. I cant believe they'll clamp me after 5pm during uni holidays :)

Hannah, of course we'll meet up at orientation!! We'll finally find out who's posted fake pictures of themselves, haha. See you all there!

Matt (Royal Holloway campus clamping record holder)

dobharrison
June 1st, 2004, 18:13
Aaaargh! You'll all find out I'm actually a woman!!! Must buy fake moustache and beard.

Cornelius
June 1st, 2004, 19:13
I unfortuanately won't be able to go to the reception. I don't fancy waiting in London until the 8th (Group A finishes on the 6th), nor do I fancy a second plane journey to do the meet and greet.

Oh hum.

At least I've managed to work out my travel plans.

Belfast - London Luton
London Luton - Kings Cross
Kings Cross - Uxbridge
Uxbridge - Brunel University

Such fun.

C.

Dynamis
June 1st, 2004, 19:27
Amusingly, from where I live, its cheaper to drive to Bristol and then fly to london than it is to take the train direct from Swindon to Paddington.

Just thought I'd share that.

Matt

Hannah
June 2nd, 2004, 07:47
Hannah, of course we'll meet up at orientation!! We'll finally find out who's posted fake pictures of themselves, haha. See you all there!

Who's been posting fake pictures of themselves? Every single picture I've posted has actually been me! Even the angel, doh! :oops:

Hey Matt, where's my new avator?!! Did you get email? Come on, jump to it! :wink:

Han X

PS I'll put my old JET pic back up as I haven't got around to scanning another one.

Dynamis
June 2nd, 2004, 22:09
Hi Hannah, ive not forgotten!

However, due to it being a funky animated pic, the rubbish programs here at work wont let me fix it, and i've not had time at home yet. Rest assured, your angelic visage shall shortly grace these boards. (As soon as I get home, anyway :wink: )

Matt

Hannah
June 2nd, 2004, 23:18
Hey Matt,

don't give it away! :x

Hannah X

adammoogle
June 5th, 2004, 18:51
ok, so is anyone else departing in group A but going to the group B orientation...???

professor_chimpenstein
June 6th, 2004, 22:19
Mooglesan! It looks like I am - but have you checked if they have sent us the wrong sheets?

Im gonna give em a call tomorrw n check!

James