PDA

View Full Version : Niigata here i come!!!

melanwee
May 25th, 2004, 00:21
niigata prefecture, thats all i know, anyone else?????

Kat
May 25th, 2004, 01:28
Hey Melanie,

Seems we're the only 2! woo!

OK, ive managed to find out quite a bit, but im sure you've seen most of that crap over on BD??!! But in fairness, neither of the guys that were talking about it seemed to be overwhelmed with how amazing the place was...

I'm just north of Niigata City, teaching in one place but apparently i have me an apartment in Murakami City...mmm. Still not sure what to think of it!!

In fairness it seems Niigata is huge, you could be way down south!

But let us know when u find out!

And good luck with your exam, know the feeling...

kat
x

melanwee
May 25th, 2004, 02:29
kat

hello! glad i found someone else going there!! how did u find out more details about ur placement, did ur predecessor contact u? i don't feel like i know any more now!

think i will quite like it there, i love snow and mountains and its still quite central, ur placements sounds like u need a car tho! i'm still hoping that i will be in a city!!

btw, u don't happen to be at nottingham uni do u? a friend of a friend of a friend (who i've never met!) is going on jet this year and she's called kat, long shot i know!!!!!

melanie

Kat
May 25th, 2004, 03:01
hehe, nah, long shot indeed, im at uni in Exeter, but home is in fact just outside of Nottingham...

My pred hasn't contacted me, there was this guy over on BD who happens to know my pred, school, and even some of my teachers, either that's a good thing or the guy's been sucked into a cult. Who knows.

I'm really up for all the mountains and skiing stuff, it's just annoying that i cant find anything on the net by way of pictures or anything! I found one of my town and it looked depressing as hell!!!

Hey, if you get Niigata city that would be cool, im only half on the train or summit, we gotta go check out those bars!

So are you much of a skiier/snowboarder then? Guy over on BD said there's loadsa resorts and in the winter it's all i'll be doing, cant complain at that!!

Anyways, if you find anything of any use (im still looking, put me off all revision grr) gimme a shout!

Niigata here we come! All 2 of us!

xx

carriesub
May 31st, 2004, 03:31
Hello fello Niigataians(?)! I also will be living in the Niigata-Ken region. I am in Arai- ( I think, at least this is what my contracting organization is) it appears to be a ski town. I think I am going to have something new to take up. I do love the mountains, but I am not much of a snowbunny, I can barely deal with the 12 inches annually I get here at my home now. 600 inches a year- average! that's a lot of snow. I don't know much about this area, so any info would be appreciated.

Carrie

melanwee
May 31st, 2004, 05:16
hi carrie! nice to meet another niigata person.

am a bit nervous about the snow and cold thing, i've always wanted to ski and snowboard but never have, am seeing this as a great opportunity but am a little scared i will spend six months freezing and not wanting to leave the house as its so cold! i suppose at least i can't be worried by the snow figures as it means nothing to me!!

i don't know a huge amount about any of the areas as i still don't where i'm going, my lonely planet guide book seems to make the whole prefecture out as 'nice place to live but not worth visiting' kind of area.

so where abouts is aria? its not on my map!! good luck on finding info!

kat - a long shot indeed, never mind! your city actually sounds quite cool, a bit of a bitch u have to work somewhere else tho! am now very worried am going to be put on that god forsaken island!!! have u found out much more? i have given up looking for a bit as exams finished so no longer bored and need distraction! hope ur exams are going (went?) well[/quote]

Kat
May 31st, 2004, 06:18
Hey guys...

Yeah, this winter is probably going to be the coldest ever! Well, im no snowboarder, but i reckon we should go fall on our asses together, sounds like a plan non?!

Hey Carrie! So where is your little piece of Niigata? I couldnt find it on my map either!

Melanie- haha, dont worry, i dont think you'll be stuck on that sado island, i think there's a poor git who's already been placed there (according to BD), gawwd, could you imagine living on that?! Bloody hell..have yuo read about it? Apparently it's where all the weirdo artist types go or something...

Well, my rough guide says pretty much the same, 'Niigata is the place people pass through on their way to Korea or Russia'...ya what?! Ha! So, maybe could get on a boat and row over to Vladivostock...??!

I havent found any more info either, i've just been repreatedly looking at the links on the 'chubu' thread on here. Here's hoping all the Niigata people are just too busy having loads of fun to bother posting much on here or BD!

Anyways...

im being sucked into big brother...sad aint it!

see yas!

x

Neil
June 15th, 2004, 03:16
Hi guys,

I found out on saturday that i am also bound for Niigata, a place called Myoko Village which is near the border with Nagano. I asked for Nagaoka city, but am happy which my placement. 5 months of snowboarding!

I've been assigned to group A which gives me less than 6 weeks to sort myself out.

I'll be quizzing you guys soon about your preparations.

Cheers

Neil

melanwee
June 28th, 2004, 22:49
Hello fellow niigata people

Finally heard from my pred, i'm going to joetsu, quite pleased, i am close to the beach and the apartment sounds nice. Am teaching at elementary and junior high schools tho, think the language barrier may be a problem as my pred speas fluent japanese, hmmm!
(i am still struggling with lesson 2 of japanese for JETS!!)

kat - am most impressed to find out that we are in the same place as the country's best festival, i have had a misery filled weekend whilst my lucky bastard friends are in glastonbury, damn their stupid ticket system!!!

hope everyone's preparations are going well

Melanie xxx

Kat
June 29th, 2004, 04:11
Hey Melanie,

Glad to hear you finally found your place! best get learning all that japanese then huh?! that book is crap to say the least....

So you all get that book about Niigata then? I bet you were all as pleased as me to discover Niigata is Number 1 for metal kitchenware shipments. Woo hoo!!

seems like we're all spread out the damn place mind....us lot should def meet up for some beers and dancing me thinks!

mel - see you in London no doubt...and tokyo for the others!

kat
xxx

Si
July 2nd, 2004, 21:29
Hello all you Niigata folk...I'm off there too - working in Kamihayashi Village and living in Murakami City - same as you Kat? Glad to hear there's someone else living in the city! Bizarrely I'll be teaching at seven schools so it seems like I'll be a busy girl! Hope all the preparations are going fine for everyone - am struggling with the ol' hiragana etc here, but I'm hoping the orientation will help with that...

All very exciting though! Anyway, possibly see some of you at the orientation on Monday - if not, then definitely see you in Niigata,

Si x

Tori
July 12th, 2004, 08:21
Hi y'all! I was so excited when I found out about this website because I'd only met one other person that was going to the Niigata prefecture.

Melanie- I'm going to be in Joetsu too, teaching high school.

When are y'all leaving for Tokyo? I leave in two weeks with group A. Anyone else?

Tori

carriesub
July 19th, 2004, 04:17
I will be leaving with Group A also. Less than a week! We should try to meet up in Tokyo. I also would like to go to the Sado Island Festival, it is suppose to be great, we should try to get a group together.
Carrie

Caru
July 19th, 2004, 07:12
I just found out Friday that I will also be in Niigata-ken, in Arakawa-machi. I don't know what kind of schools I have yet, or if I'll be living the same place I'm working or what. So far all I've been able to find out about my village is that it has a golf course, municipal pool, and a river. It apparently is also a big crocus-producing area. Okay...

Anybody find any good websites besides the ones listed on the Chubu sticky post?

equal
August 10th, 2004, 20:23
I just found out Friday that I will also be in Niigata-ken, in Arakawa-machi. I don't know what kind of schools I have yet, or if I'll be living the same place I'm working or what. So far all I've been able to find out about my village is that it has a golf course, municipal pool, and a river. It apparently is also a big crocus-producing area. Okay...

Anybody find any good websites besides the ones listed on the Chubu sticky post?

Hey Caru! I just stumbled on this site and am glad to find you--there's a few of us JETS in the area! I live in Murakami, which is the closest "city" to you. There is one other JET in arakawa--your position is brand new! if you have have Q's about your placement i can help out. just pm me...that is, if you see this before you leave.

nicklar
June 20th, 2005, 00:14
Hi all Niigata newbies! :smt006 Welcome to the adventure! Greetings from an old Niigata JET (Omi)

Here's a couple of web pages that may be useful

The Joetsu goodo Travel Guide http://www.klarbooks.com/guides/jgtg

and

Welcome to Myokokogen!
http://www.klarbooks.com/guides/myoko

For anyone already in Niigata I'm happy to receive any updates as some information is getting quite old now. Email contacts are on the website

And now a shameless plug for my new book, "My Mother is a Tractor". It tells of my time trapped in the bleakness of inaka Niigata and how I stumbled ranting from the other end of the tunnel after 2 years.

If you are a newbie headed for any kind of remote town, village, rail siding, etc. you might want to read some of the sample chapters @ http://www.klarbooks.com/mmiat/chapters.html first

Synopsis is included below. For more information go to: http://www.klarbooks.com/mmiat

Naturally, if you like the samples - please pre-order a copy of the full book.

Less than six months after chucking in his management job to take up teaching Nicholas Klar finds himself on a plane to Japan - ending up in Omi in the far reaches of rural Niigata prefecture. Never one to be taken too seriously he spends two years far beyond the beaten tourist path in often carousing encounters with Elvis impersonators, love hotels, toilets, train schedules, cults, hostess girls, freezing weather, the local garbage-man and postal workers, plus an awful lot of drinking.

Combining humour, wonder and a good deal of eclectic research the author veritably crams his pages chock-full of tales of culture shock, humorous anecdotes and insights, reflections upon his own life and cultural baggage, strange facts, plus cultural incongruities and marvels. He inevitably falls in with a motley crew of acquaintances along the way and revealed are many of the personalities he encounters - both Japanese and foreigners.

My Mother is a Tractor is rollicking, fact-filled ride through the Land of the Rising Sun that will amuse and inform all - from Japanaholics to the merely curious.

http://www.klarbooks.com/BANNER.GIF

JETALT
August 2nd, 2005, 11:17
the official niigata JET website is http://www.niigatajet.org/

murakami person, youll want a car. 1 1/2 hours north of niigata city.

joetsu person, lucky...2nd largest city in niigata prefecture.

SI--what up girl? going to miss you next year. miss spending the nights at your place. youll know who im am. on the musical staff...the handsome genki guy. and not your damn scot or brit, i can never keep his nationality straight, up there in youre area. speaking of which, he will be staying with me a couple of days while hes getting his visa. have fun back home, going to miss hanging out with ya.

Easy
August 7th, 2005, 05:36
In other news, I just updated my avatar.