PDA

View Full Version : WAKAYAMA

jane_is_ace
May 25th, 2004, 02:26
Hey, I'm a lurker come to life and I've just found out I've been placed in Wakayama, Otou Village...I don't really know what this means, but am eager to say hi to people heading to the same place :)
Sorry for lurking, I know I'm a bad girl... :oops:

dobharrison
May 25th, 2004, 03:55
You know, I always thought that cardboard box in the corner was staring at me.

jane_is_ace
May 25th, 2004, 05:21
The lurkers are in the walls, they're watching you...I think there are prob more lurkers than posters :D

lorenzokenzo
May 25th, 2004, 05:57
hey jane i've been placed in Wakayama....Kishigawa Town...I just hope you like trees, soy sauce and juicey clementines??

dobharrison
May 25th, 2004, 06:36
I think there are prob more lurkers than posters :D

God, this site is just a microcosm of society!

Shotokai
May 25th, 2004, 06:42
ah microcosm's can be used in aquatic toxicicity test's to see how a section of a habitat responds to different concentrations of toxin.

guess who has a toxicology exam on wednesday.

Shoto

hik
May 25th, 2004, 14:24
I'll be in Susami-cho. 6000 person fishing villiage seems pretty rural. I can't wait to start exploring the area. I couldn't find Otou on the map though.

--hikaru

jane_is_ace
May 25th, 2004, 18:18
Yeah, I've been looking on the map like David Bellamy, but I can't find it. I suppose it's a case of waiting for my predecessor now. I was hoping for rural so I'm dead pleased. How about you both, were you hoping for Wakayama, or has it been a pleasant surprise?
I suppose I'd better develop a taste for sea food :)

proletariat
May 26th, 2004, 01:44
Hey!

proletariat
May 26th, 2004, 01:59
So it seems there are at least 4 of us headed for Wakayama: 2 Brits, 2 Yanks.

First of all, I'd like to emphatically apologize to my soon-to-be UK neighbors for the behaviour of the United States over the last . . . well, let's be honest, about 250 years. The last few have been particularly bad, though. No, I don't like George W. Bush and no I have no idea why Tony Blair has sacrficed his entire political career to be Bush's little bitch. It baffles the mind.

lorenzokenzo
May 26th, 2004, 03:17
Don't worry proletariant..i think we are all gonna have a great time in Wakayama..and as Basil Fawlty says..."don't mention the war.."

I'm guessing we are all in group B too, so i'm sure we'll meet in Tokyo..

For those interested in where i'll be located, check out the following link:

http://www2.w-shokokai.or.jp/kisigawa

You can all come and grab a boat with me and check out the fire-flies..

I had no idea where i'd end up, but i think we've all been placed in a relatively unknown little gem.

hik
May 26th, 2004, 12:36
My only request was to be in a rural area so this looks to be the place. I've never been to this part of Japan so I'm excited about seeing something new. I hope the transportation works out OK in the area since I'm hoping to avoid getting a car.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Here's a great site with maps of Japan. Click on detailed prefecture maps.

http://www.japan-101.com/gallery/maps

Otou must be pretty small or a "suburb".

lorenzokenzo
May 26th, 2004, 20:36
Great maps hik..

I got in contact with my predecessor today and everything sounds really great..my school even gives me a mountain bike to use and i'm being left a fish aquarium..

I've joined a Wakayama Yahoo group and have received messages from lots of helpful people.

follow link below:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wakayamajets/

hope this is of some help

Genny
May 26th, 2004, 23:44
Hi everyone! I just recieved my letter and will be going to Wakayama too! However the city has yet to be determined. Just so you know! We are now up to 2 Brits, 2 Yanks and a Canadian! [b]Cool, Eh?

lorenzokenzo
May 27th, 2004, 09:13
Hi Genny...welcome to Wakayama group...what do you think of your placement?

hik
May 27th, 2004, 14:53
Jane,

If you haven't found Otou yet, try oto. Just figured out that the 'u' on the end was a long vowel. Oto is just east of Tanabe-shi in Mishimuro-gun.

jane_is_ace
May 27th, 2004, 20:39
hik, i think u may well be a genius! :D
yup, it looks like it was a cse of westernised spealling. i've found a load of pages for oto/ooto, :D :D
cheers

Arwen
May 28th, 2004, 03:42
Hi everyone! I have mostly lurked because everything didn't feel quite real until I got my placement but I just found out I'll be in Wakayama in Shingu City. Looks like it's right on the water, but a bit isolated.

Add another Yank to the list!

jane_is_ace
May 28th, 2004, 04:26
haha i knew my lurker feeling was correct dob. i was also i guilty lurker arwen, it's laziness come to life
:wink:

Hannah
May 31st, 2004, 04:45
Hi guys,

I'm not quite in Wakayama, but I just found my map (it has been lost!) and I am just as close to Wakayama than I am to Nara City. (I'm in Gojo city)

Sorry for intruding like this, but there is not many of us in Nara pref!

C u around!

Hannah X

llumynia
May 31st, 2004, 05:12
yeah, nara jets are few and far between... hello wakayama jets! I, too am in Nara, only I'm a little bit more north than Hannah is in Gojo, I'm in Takatori (which is closer to Kashihara if you are looking at a map (http://www.japan-101.com/gallery/prefecture_detail/Nara_prefecture_detailed_map) So if anyone wants to crash on their way up to Nara City, let us know!

hik
June 1st, 2004, 00:41
Just received a package in the mail from the BOE at Susami. Included a letter from both the administration side and my predecessor. Sounds like a great place to be. I'll be working at 2 middle schools, 3 elementary schools, and 1 combo middle/elementary school. The combo school will only have 12 students next year. Two of the larger ones will have a little under 200. When I talked to my mom, she said that the size of the schools reminded her of some of the schools that the temples used to run in the past. I'll be inheriting the ALT apartment so I'll be getting a few goodies and cheap rent (w/no key money/deposit). Lots of great news, but I'll stop now or I could keep going for a while.

Hope everyone else is starting to get more info.
--hikaru

Hannah
June 1st, 2004, 04:05
Hey, I'm a lurker come to life and I've just found out I've been placed in Wakayama, Otou Village...I don't really know what this means, but am eager to say hi to people heading to the same place :)
Sorry for lurking, I know I'm a bad girl... :oops:

Hi Jane

lorenzokenzo
June 1st, 2004, 04:35
Here's a link from someone who lived in Wakayama

http://www.geocities.com/japanwatcher/

Welcome to Wakayama Hannah...well nearly

Hannah
June 1st, 2004, 04:56
Love the bloke's house. U can tell he is from Wolverhampton, don't you know!

Han X

(Wishing she was going to the beach in Wayayama...)

Vixen
June 3rd, 2004, 10:28
Hello All.

Congrats on being placed in Wakayama! I am an ALT here, however, I will be going home in August. :cry:

I just want to say that you are being placed in a goregeous prefecture. there are tons of outdoor stuff to do and a lot of history packed into this peninsula!

To the ALT who is going to Susami-cho HIKARU: You are getting an awesome place. My friend is the Susami ALT and he loves it there. The people are awesome and the parties rock. :D

I have been placed in Koza which is next to Kushimoto>> The most south you can go on the Honshu island. The ocean is gorgeous and the mountains are breath taking (well they look like velvet covered hills).

To the SHINGU ALT>> you have a movie theater and access to Mie prefecture. I go there to do 'mall like' shopping and to feel like I am in a real city.

My town is Koza iIt s tiny and sits on the coast. I have one combini. Thats it. If I need some american cheese I have to go to Mac Donalds in Shingu (an hour by train) or shell out for Mos Burger in Kushimoto.

ANYWAY, if any of you have questions feel free to email me dahnnna at yahoo dot com or post them here!

Keep yourselves busy til Japan Day or you will go bonkers!

palmylass
June 5th, 2004, 14:56
Well you can add a kiwi to that list...Yes I'm coming with you guys and can't wait!!! I just found this website and am blown away by how many people have posted who are going to Wakayama. You are all so lucky to have received info on where you are going in the prefecture. Im waiting for the postie everymorning before I go to work in the hope that I'll get a letter from my contracting organisation or from my predecessor. Does anybody out there know of some way I can find out who my predecessor is? ie would your predecessor know mine?? I've heard only great things about this prefecture. Sounds as if we have been very lucky to be placed there. :D

Arwen
June 5th, 2004, 15:25
Hi Palmylass, welcome to the group! Maybe you'll be in my area, I'm going to be in one of the few cities in Wakayama so I figure there have to be other JETs somewhere near me *fingers crossed*

Thanks for all the info Vixen! I'm happy to hear I'll be in a city with a movie theater :) I have to say I'm really excited about all the natural scenery too!

For those in the South Eastern part of Wakayama this site has some great streaming video of local shrine activities (check out the Oto Festival o_O)

http://kumano-world.jp/eng/index.html

palmylass
June 10th, 2004, 19:32
Thanks Arwen,

Yay I found out that I'm placed in Wakayama city :D I am so happy!!!! So who else is placed in the city? Apparently I will be visiting 3 places - one of them is a school for the blind and the other a technical night school- so it shall be quite interesting...

lorenzokenzo
June 10th, 2004, 23:03
Hi Palmylass, I'm in Kishigawa Town about twenty minutes east of Wakayama city..i think you may be my closest neighbour..

I've heard from my pred and a few others who live around the area so if you want any specific info e-mail me at NoelJSlattery@aol.com and i'll pass on the contact details..

pepperphd
June 17th, 2004, 10:20
Hi, all! My name is Daniel and I've been placed (very happily) in the wee town of Onishi in Gunma-ken. Why am I posting on THIS thread, then, you ask? Mostly because Wakayama-ken was my first placement choice and I'm eager to make connections in the area, if only to make a little pilgrimage there someday over the next year (I'm a sucker for craggy coastlines, what can I say?) and meet some nifty people in the process! From what I've read thus far in your postings, you all seem like super-friendly people; if ever you find yourself passing through Gunma-ken (Onishi has amazing winterblooming sakura trees, apparently), know that you have a place to stay and a tour guide to boot.

best wishes to everyone in your preparations -- only six weeks to go!!
Daniel

palmylass
June 17th, 2004, 21:31
Hi all, welcome to the group Daniel. Have found out all about my accomodation and was wondering if you guys have too. Im gona be paying around 55,000 yen/month and I have to furnish the entire apartment. Am kinda worrying about where I am going to find it all..I would like to purchase second-hand stuff if I can as it is gona be pretty expensive... Is anyone else in a similar position as me??Or does anybody know of someone I can get in contact with who is selling their stuff??Im gona be living in Wakayama city. Thanks :)

mango-shake
June 18th, 2004, 20:48
Hi Arwen! I'm not a Wakayama JET but do go to Shingu fairly often for the movie theatre and the Mister Donut. There are a few other JETs in Shingu plus others who work in eikaiwa there (not sure of the exact number off hand but you're not alone).

I would also highly recommend trying to get in touch with the JETs in southern Mie - there are 5 in Kumano, just 1/2 an hour away on the train, 3 of whom will be new this year. Oh, and Kumano has a HUGE fireworks festival every year on August 17 - over 2 1/2 hours worth. It puts North American fireworks to shame!

lorenzokenzo
June 21st, 2004, 19:08
I just found some Wakayama related sites so thought i'd share the links:

http://www.infocreate.co.jp/hometown/wakayama/wakaya-e.html

http://www.infonet.co.jp/Aso/win/int-news/1998/in980806.htm

http://www.infonet.co.jp/aso/win/int-news/1997/in970805.htm

pepperphd
November 5th, 2004, 09:22
Konnichiwa, everyone! My name is Daniel and I'm a first-year ALT in lovely (but increasingly chilly) Gunma-ken. I'm about two hours north of Tokyo in the little town of Onishi ("Goblin Rock" in translation, although considering it was just Halloween weekend a few days ago, I'm disappointed to say that I've seen nary a devil since arriving here a few months ago).

I'll be making a trip to the Kyoto/Nara/Wakayama area in late November, specifically between November 19-23. I've already arranged lodging for myself in Kyoto-shi on Friday, Nov. 19 but I'm eager to find a place to crash on the other days while I explore the region. Thus this shameless plea for lodging, since (a) hotel/ryokan accommodations are tricky for one with as pathetically little Nihongo know-how as myself, and (b) I am a cheap bastard.

Simply put: If you're going to be around during any one of those evenings, would you be willing to let me stay at your place? I'm a friendly, non-smoking, no-mess houseguest (at least historically, and I don't plan on changing), I don't take up much space, and I wouldn't need anything other than a bit o' floorspace to rest my weary head and use of the shower in the morning so I don't reek the next day.

Of course, if ever you find yourself travelling through or near the Gunma area, I'd be more than happy to return the favor!

Let me know at your convenience if you'd be willing to put me up, or if you require further information before even considering it, or if it's not a possibility. Thanks so much for your time, and have a happy (typhoon- and earthquake-free) weekend. I hope to hear from you!

best wishes,
Daniel
goblinrocker@yahoo.com

ther0027
May 30th, 2005, 12:04
Hey there all you Wakayama people! This thread is seeing so much more action than the one on Big Daikon so I thought that I would drop by and sign in! I will be stationed in the lovely Kainan-shi, just south of Wakayama-shi! And to put the rumors to rest, I am in the A group along with a person of indeterminate gender from Scotland. Well, that is all form me now! Hope to see some of you in Wakayama!

jane_is_ace
May 30th, 2005, 16:34
Aaaah, memories, misty water coloured memories...

ther0027, the last post on this thread was November 5th 2004, but still, I agree a lot more was said here than over on BD.

I know Hik is staying on in Susami, don`t know about anyone else on this thread (except me, I`m heading home). I`ve never been to Kainan except on the way driving to Wakayama City, so all I know is that its BIG. Did you get a hold of your predecessor yet?

ther0027
May 31st, 2005, 07:31
Oh well, that is what you get for not checking dates! (I just did a search and well, you know the rest :oops: )
I have found my pred, or the 2 people who could be my pred and am getting ready to go! (I think that e-stalking is the correct term) I am quite excited and looking for people to talk so, hence the silly mistake...
There don't seem to be that many people heading off to Wakayam this year, so people must be staying on thenor Wakayama doesn't have many JETs. I am still in shock that the JET program let me in!!! lol If you have any advice for a new comer to Wakayama-ken, let me know! :D

jane_is_ace
May 31st, 2005, 15:00
The only thing I can offer in the way of advice is if you have a particular brand of toiletry that you like (say if you have sensitive skin for instance), it's probably best to bring enough to last you the first month until you can get sorted out with an alternative. Wakayama is not especailly metropolitan and although you can get foreign foods easily, things like facewash and exzema (sp?) remedies are still impossible for me to figure out after a year. You can easily get to Costco from Kainan which stocks a lot of American brands, but you might not get chance for a while at first. Oh and tampons, if you use them, definatly ship or bring a supply of your favoured brand. Some people I know are happy with the Japanese version, but you may well not be, and that could leave you in a difficult sitiuation...

Remember to take Tokyo Orientation with a pinch of salt and don't listen to all the crazies who try to push you into buying books, signing up to Tatami Timeshare and joining AJET. You can always buy these books and join AJET at a later date, if you think you need to, and nobody on Tatami Timeshare ever honours it anyway.

Hannah
June 5th, 2005, 14:00
Hi Ther0027, I think I know some of the ALTs in kainan! I know one is definitely leaving. Send me a PM and I may be able to put you in touch with her... If it's not her, she will be able to find out who it is, maybe!

Arwen
June 8th, 2005, 07:59
Hi Ther0027! I'm down at the farthest end of Wakayama on the border to Mie-ken! This is a gorgeous place though and I think you'll enjoy it! To be honest my friend in Kainan-shi didn't like his BoE, but the situation could be entirely different for you and I'm sure your pred can fill you in a lot better. Anyways us Southern folk are usually considered "snobby" or distant, but we are super friendly just really far from everyone else :cry:

Like jane_is_ace said you are only an hour or so by local train to Osaka (you lucky bastard :wink: ) so you have a variety of goods and shopping at your fingertips.

SeuratsMonkey
June 9th, 2005, 06:46
Hi guys I will be a new JET in Arida-shi. I haven't heard from my predecessor or contracting organization yet- how does that process actually work? Am I just supposed to wait for them to contact me?
Thanks for any info you might have!
Sean

lorenzokenzo
June 9th, 2005, 08:52
Anyone placed in Wakayama try e-mailing the following address to enquire about you pred.

wakayamapa@yahoo.com

This is the group e-mail list for every ALT in Wakayama.

Not sure it will work or I'm supposed to give out the address, but give it a go.

katherine
June 13th, 2005, 07:18
Hi everyone- i just placed in Kozagawa which is a town of around 3500 next to Koza in the very southern edge of wakayama. I have no idea what to expect, I'm from a huge city, and am not particularly thrilled about my new rural setting. At least I'll get my fair share of fresh air! Let me know if you have been around in this area- i'd love to meet up with others and get some travelling in!

Katherine

katherine
June 13th, 2005, 08:51
oooh- so i found this map which may help everyone place where they are in comparison to everyone else. apparantly susami and oto are my next door neighbors (i'm in kozagawa) check it out if you are interested.

http://www.richmond.ca/discover/about/sistercity/wakayama.htm

lorenzokenzo
June 13th, 2005, 09:26
The south of Wakayama is beautiful and one of the few places in Japan which hasn't been marred by modern development.

hik
June 13th, 2005, 23:14
Katherine

Welcome to Wakayama. I'm currently the ALT in Susami (and also for next year). If I remember correctly, you'll actually be closer to Kushimoto and Koza than Oto or Susami. Southern Wakayama is beautiful, but it takes some people time to get used to rural life. I can try to get you in touch with some of the returning ALTs in the area. They're a great bunch.