PDA

View Full Version : Kansai-ben

Faustus
May 25th, 2004, 04:18
So, I've found out I'm headed to a city outside of Kobe, and I'm psyched with the central location. I'm not so psyched, however, about having to find my way through the impenetrable web of Kansai-ben (i.e. Kansai dialect, for anyone not familiar with the term). In the interest of getting a bit of a head start, anyone have any websites or books they'd recommend to help the transition from Kanto to Kansai-ben?

I've found this (http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~gemini/kansai_ben/osaka.html) site with a few things. And for any fellow Beatles fans, someone (apparently with a hell of a lot of time on their hands) has gone and translated a bunch of their songs (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~bg1t-ksmt/beatles.htm) into Kansai dialect.

Anyone else?

colleenyb
May 28th, 2004, 06:46
Sorry,

I don't know shit about Kansai-ben, but where did you get that picture of Jude Law? That is Jude Law, right? He's usually so pretty!

I like your name. So, have you sold your soul to the devil yet?

Good luck in Kobe.

Faustus
June 1st, 2004, 15:28
Hey,

Yup, that's the one and only Jude Law (playing Dr. Faustus, as it happens- not exactly a coincidental choice on my part). I saw him in Doctor Faustus when I studied abroad in London; I thought he was very good- and definitely pretty, beard notwithstanding. :D

Glad you like the name- I haven't consciously sold my soul to the devil yet, but I got a darn good placement, so I'm beginning to wonder if I might have and just don't remember it. Although I suppose it's possible that my victory over the Gods of Placement will be balanced by crushing defeat at the hands of the Gods of Housing, Bosses or Students.

I'm psyched to be in Kansai, though- it sounds like it's going to be a very good time.

Xeno
June 1st, 2004, 16:20
I like Kansai-ben. :wink: I don't know why but when I heard Kansai people speaking (It was last time I went to Japan.) they sounded cool! :D Also I think Kansai-ben sounds more familiar than Standard Japanese (Kanto-ben in general) somehow. :)

Bakukenshin
June 11th, 2004, 13:39
moukattemakka? bochi bochi den na. (That's a standard set greeting in Kansai. Comes out meaning something like "How's business?" "Eh, it's going.")

The major points in Kansai-ben are verb endings for one and then vocab choice. A lot of the problem isn't that they use region specific words, its just getting used to people's personal preferences on vocab choice.

The verb endings are pretty easy to get used to. -masen endings like wakarimasen become -hen attached to the a-sound like wakarahen. -nai endings become -n like wakaranai becomes wakaran. a couple other common words are mecha (very) and yayakoshii (confusing). Beyond that you might run into (Gomenyasu) in Kyoto, instead of (Irasshaimasu), but they mean the same thing basically.

Tuttle Press has out a book called Kansai Japanese which is pretty concise and presenting some of the region specific dialects within Kansai.

cottamg
June 11th, 2004, 15:00
oooooh.. cheers,.. I'll be in the country.. so I wanna learn as well (kansai-ben)

Cantdosleepflower
June 21st, 2004, 09:32
Glad you like the name- I haven't consciously sold my soul to the devil yet, but I got a darn good placement, so I'm beginning to wonder if I might have and just don't remember it. Although I suppose it's possible that my victory over the Gods of Placement will be balanced by crushing defeat at the hands of the Gods of Housing, Bosses or Students.

You see Shakespeare in Love? Best bit of that film was the audition, where every person who read had prepared the famous "is this the face that launched..." monologue from Faustus. Genius.

Chikura
June 27th, 2004, 07:16
Different words are the superficial difference. Its the intonation and stress which is the big difference and the hardest thing to get right.
Osaka ben particularly.

socalDave
June 27th, 2004, 10:55
I dated a chick from Kobe... Kansai-ben is odd at 1st but y'kinda get used to it.
Only good example that I know (made me laugh, confused me at 1st, and is useful too)... "Shindoi" = in Hyujungo - "tsukareta" = in Eigo - "(I'm) tired".
Just like Norway and Sweden (and probably many other countries), Japan has way too many dialects for such a small region. I swear, it's like if I went from San Clemente to Long Beach and then I couldn't understand the way they talk.

IdleDragon
January 29th, 2005, 15:44
ALC press have a kansaiben textbook in their Japanese Textbook series.
"kiite oboeru Kansai (Osaka) ben..."
It also has a listening section and available CD. Kansai-ben is fun :D and most Japanese associate it with Comedians. It is really the only dialect you will consistently see on TV.
Yeah there are different dialect splits even within Kansai and Kyoto can be completely different.