PDA

View Full Version : Previous Jobs

sublimination
June 23rd, 2005, 07:03
Alright all,

Just wondering what jobs you are leaving behind or have left behind to go and be a JET? Seems bloody weird that I'll be going to be an ALT in a little over a month from now. Definitely different from laying ridiculously boring horse, dog, and sports bets for Britain's most compulsive gamblers day in, day out, which has been my function for too long now. :smt009

Anyone regret or reluctant leaving theirs?

zz_alex_zz
June 23rd, 2005, 08:14
I did a mini stint working for William Hills call centre. It was undoubtedly the worst job I’ve ever done. I lasted about 3 months I think.

I’m currently just sitting on my ass waiting for my degree classification now. I’m flat broke, but there’s no point in looking for work now.

Chiara
June 23rd, 2005, 13:04
Lots of people are coming straight from uni and might not be able to answer this, but I used to be an assistant buyer for Schuh (a UK shoe retailer for those of you not in the know).

It was a really good job and I got a lot of benefits from it (confidence building, travel all over Europe, free stuff pretty much all the time), but it just wasn't right for me in the long run. Not enough of a challenge maybe? Or challenging but in the wrong places? Everyone thought I was mad to jack it in and head off to do teaching of all things, which I hadn't shown any interest in, but I knew that I would never make the most of it...and so here I am!

This year hasn't been easy but I know without a shadow of a doubt I made the right decision... I would have been really bored by now back home and that's the last adjective I would use to describe my life here...

Cornelius
June 23rd, 2005, 13:52
Like Chiara, I too had a pretty good job - I worked as a Senior Consultant and lived in America (for most of that I was bi-coastal, with an apartment in Manhattan and L.A.), for five years, spending a lot of my time working in the music industry and with big financial companies.

I was very good as my job, but there is a difference in being good at something and enjoying it one hundred percent. When I announced I was leaving, everybody I worked with thought I was mad.

I haven't regretted it one single bit.

To me, life is too short and sometimes you can get too comfortable in a situation. I had things that I wanted to do with my life, things that were not available to me on the career path I fell into. The best thing I ever did in my life was to realise that, and to walk away from it all.

Now I teach, and my life is pretty damn nifty. I get to experience Japan, and I get to make new friends.

dobharrison
June 23rd, 2005, 14:23
Like Chiara, I too had a pretty good job - I worked as a Senior Consultant and lived in America (for most of that I was bi-coastal, with an apartment in Manhattan and L.A.), for five years, spending a lot of my time working in the music industry and with big financial companies.

You should've PMed me; we could've done a swap! My temp typist for your music industry.

Dave
June 23rd, 2005, 14:55
My Last job was as a waiter ay an organic vegetarian restaurant. It`s official, vegetarians are tight b******s, unless they are American tourists.

dobharrison
June 23rd, 2005, 15:00
It`s official, vegetarians are tight b******s.

Not me! (well, it depends...)

Most veggies are probably students, though, so it kinda figures.

Dave
June 23rd, 2005, 15:08
No, most of our customers weren`t students, they were either tourists or regular grown-ups, except for their eating disorders.

Cornelius
June 23rd, 2005, 15:29

You should've PMed me; we could've done a swap! My temp typist for your music industry.

I've been a temp typist in my time. Ohh, me nimble fingers...

jane_is_ace
June 23rd, 2005, 17:22
Paul said

I wasn't the "normal" tech support guy to put it bluntly. If you pissed me off or shouted abuse at me, you got it right back at you ended with a termination of the call.

Sounds pretty normal judging by the tech support/ telesales people I have spoken to in the past. I also had a job in telesales at one point, which lasted all of 6 weeks. It was a shame that they limited the amount of terminated calls in one day to 2. After your 2 freebies, they'd wtch like a hawk on their little monitor thingies.

Doomer
June 23rd, 2005, 18:05
I was a CSO witht he UCPD...it was a good job seeing as i want to get into law enforcement when i return to the states...so im not super overjoyed to have to say good bye to it but then again im not too busted up about it either...

tash_bert
June 23rd, 2005, 18:20
Similar to Chiara. I worked for a trading team in the retail industry, though it was in the company's food retail section as opposed to the clothing side.

I had lot's of benefits including travel, free stuff and great hospitality packages. But at the end of the day I needed a new and exciting challenge as city life was getting a bit boring (the work side not the living side!)

So here I am in Japan, with no regrets whatsoever. Even though my old boss is still trying to charm me back!!!

adammoogle
June 23rd, 2005, 21:39
working in tv on tabloid style documentaries, fun and interesting but the hours sucked and after a while everythng gets dull

japan is certainly a change but dosn't help me decide what the hell i'll do when the 3 year party ends... 8O

quasarsglow
June 23rd, 2005, 21:45
I'm not technically leaving a career to go on JET.

I'm just finishing my master's degree, and I've been in uni for 5 years right before starting my master's, but I'm no slouch, I've worked in professional (but small) newspapers doing page layout and editing for two and a half years in undergrad, and I worked as a GA for a graphic design class and as a computer lab manager while I was a grad student. I tend to work 2 part time jobs while I'm studying.

Those are the most professional sounding ones at least. Before I started at the newspaper I worked at a deli making meat and cheese trays and veggie trays. I've never hated salami and cheese spread more in my life :)

Cynthia
June 23rd, 2005, 22:44
I'm not really leaving a career either. In some ways, JET is a chance for my husband and I to put off making career decisions. I graduated from university in August with degrees in English and photojournalism. As much as I wanted to be a newspaper photographer, over the course of three internships during college I realized it wasn't the right career for me. For the last year I have been working as a nanny for a lil baby (who has grown into a chubby lil one-year-old). That was mainly an experiment to see if I can handle the stay-at-home mom thing a few years down the road when we decide to start a family. Now I'm trying to get some fun and traveling in before we take that step! Ultimately I will either end up in childcare or teaching English. As for now, I'm living by the seat of my pants.

bride-a-holic
June 23rd, 2005, 23:39
I used to have a really good job with good perks too, and it was what I wanted to do (translating in Dep't of F.Affairs.) My time on JET was supposed to be a year break, and well, one year turned into 2.

swimmergirl
June 24th, 2005, 01:34
No real change I guess. I am a math teacher going to Japan to be an English "teacher". Woo-hoo! I'm looking forward to going :-D

Hannah
June 24th, 2005, 10:07
Was a primary school teacher for 6 years before coming to Japan.

Taking a gap two years! Heehee!

osmund
June 24th, 2005, 16:46
I am part of a project management office for an IT department in Government. I really like doing project management and I find it fun, but I love new challenges! So teaching in Japan sounded like an excellent challenge. Hopefully it will be lots of fun and I am sure it will be hard work as well.

I am taking leave without pay from my job so I get to come back to it after JET. It will be interesting to see if I want to go back afterwards. This experience may have changed my view on what sort of work I want to do.

Songs
June 24th, 2005, 17:07
I'm leaving a job as an university advisor...boy, am I glad that I will be dealing with more mature students at a JHS, now!

CharlieBrown
June 25th, 2005, 22:39
Hannah, I'm a primary school teacher too. My kids cried so much on my last day. 2 poor girls wouldn't stop crying for 1/2 hr and then would cry again every time I came near one of them! I finished up at the end of semester and will just do supply teaching after the holidays until I leave. It was a great school and great kids and it's sad to leave them, but... not that sad... I'm going to Japan! :-D