PDA

View Full Version : Anybody leaving via Edinburgh?

Tino
June 30th, 2005, 01:36
Hey there! I am leaving for Japan via Edinburgh and just wondered if every1 has received their packets about travel.

The info about baggage confuses me somewhat because there are prices for boxes/suitcases and then a map of the drop-off point in Edinburgh.

Do we not take all our luggage on the plane then sort out sending it to our address when we get to Narita airport? Also, it is bloody expensive to send a suitcase by plane @ £120!

Thanks,

Martin

emski
June 30th, 2005, 05:51
I obviously didn't read the info as thoroughly as you cause I didn't notice anything about the drop-off map; but the impression I got is that the unaccompanied luggage is an extra - I think luggage up to our paltry 20kg allowance gets checked onto the plane just as for any normal flight.

But now you've got me thinking, mebbe a call to miki travel wouldn't go amiss... :?

Yeah, the shipping cost does seem a bit steep, I wonder if anyone knows of good companies who will ship to japan for less?

yabighoor
June 30th, 2005, 09:01
I left with the Edinburgh crowd last year and don't worry too much about weight allowance. As long as you get to the airport pretty early the staff will turn a blind eye (I saw people bring up to about 30kgs of stuff).

The post office does quite good deals when it comes to shipping stuff over but have a hard think about what you actually need as the only stuff i used was the winter gear i sent over the rest is sitting here gathering mothballs. Didn't use the place in Edinburgh for shipping...don't know about that.

jane_is_ace
June 30th, 2005, 09:50
Don`t worry about the shipping company stuff...20kg is more than enough initially. I also left through Edinburgh and stuck to the 20kg limit. Then later on I asked my mum to send 10kg of winter stuff by sea. Now I am packing up my stuff to return I am soooo pleased I didn`t bring more. I`ve already done 2 20kg sea mail parcels home. You`ll be surprised by the amount of stuff you accumilate over a year.
Some of the best advice I got before coming here was only take with you what you`re prepared to ship back home. You may get lucky and sqeeze 30kg past at departure, but on your way back you wont be with a big group of JETs and they will not be lenient with weight. I feel sorry for the Americans who are now trying to get 60kg+ of belongings back home in a suitcase.

emski
July 1st, 2005, 05:40
Some of the best advice I got before coming here was only take with you what you`re prepared to ship back home.

I feel sorry for the Americans who are now trying to get 60kg+ of belongings back home in a suitcase.

That makes me feel better, I was a bit miffed about our very different baggage allowances, think the last straw was reading about the various uses our American counterparts have made of it... in another thread someone was writing about the food dehydrator they brought over :o - there will be justice at the return checkout though! :twisted: