PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Acceptance

merc
August 5th, 2005, 19:51
What percent of people who apply do you think get accepted into JET?
What are the most important factors?

MaxCapacitor
August 6th, 2005, 04:46
I'd say it's similar to the NBA Draft.

You've got teams whose roster needs to be switched out with old/outgoing players. Teams looking to expand their roster to better utilize their players. Then you also have expansion teams whose entire roster needs to be filled up. And then there's the rare "the city doesn't want/can't afford the team cause it's losing them money" or "we're switching to another league, so we're firing everyone to make a new team".

So basically, it's not about the percentage of applicants that get accepted, but more or less about how many vacancies and replacements JET requires.

After that, I'm not sure if each Japanese Consulate-General region is given an equal number of slots to fill up w/ unfilled slots compared to the other regions (is this what standby is for?) or if all applications are pooled up in one batch and the selection is made from there.

You'd have to ask those the guys that interview JET applicants. And from the information I gather, they don't really know themselves. I hear its all dependent on the main JET administrators.

TomB
August 8th, 2005, 01:58
In the US about 1/2 that apply get an interview then about 1/2 of those actually get selected to go or as an alternate. It really does matter which state you apply from. Houston, New York, and California are the hardest ones to actually get selected to go after the interview because they have so many applicants. On your application triple check for spelling and sentence structure. Make sure that you dot all the I's and cross all the T's and all your information is accurate. You will need transcripts and references so start getting those ready now before your old instructors get too busy in the new school year. Also start thinking about your purpose letter. There are some good references on this site in downloads. The last month before you send in your application should be for review only. DON'T wait until the last minute unless you want to wait an additional year before you apply.

:D

Doomer
August 8th, 2005, 09:58
In the US about 1/2 that apply get an interview then about 1/2 of those actually get selected to go or as an alternate. It really does matter which state you apply from. Houston, New York, and California are the hardest ones to actually get selected to go after the interview because they have so many applicants. On your application triple check for spelling and sentence structure. Make sure that you dot all the I's and cross all the T's and all your information is accurate. You will need transcripts and references so start getting those ready now before your old instructors get too busy in the new school year. Also start thinking about your purpose letter. There are some good references on this site in downloads. The last month before you send in your application should be for review only. DON'T wait until the last minute unless you want to wait an additional year before you apply.

:D

exactly what he said....LA had a 23% acceptance rate this year (if you start in the app phase) good luck to you...the process will consume your life as it did mine but when it is all said and done and your sitting in Japan its all worth it!!! you gonna reapply tom? you really should!! best of luck to both of you :smt006

Dynamis
August 8th, 2005, 10:42
Yeah, i think around 50% make it past application, and another 50% make it past interview, for an overall 1 in 4 chance of making it in.

Good luck!

Matt

TomB
August 8th, 2005, 10:46
No most likely not. The one thing holding me back is something I can't do anything about. That is father time. 8)

At the interview their main concern about me seemed to be the fact that I am older and the fact I do not get drunk at every given opportunity. Having an alcoholic Grandfather and two alcoholic uncles will do that for you.

My Japanese is better now and I can even read some Kanji all self taught not much chances of any classes here. However unless Interact for someone else picks me up I haven't much chance. I tried the JET boat and it sank big time. So like the survivors of the Titanic I'm in my dingy waiting for another opportunity.

:^_^: