PDA

View Full Version : The selection process

professor_chimpenstein
May 25th, 2004, 21:21
I have read alot of posts on BD and other boards about how JET pick the candidates and so i thought I'd run a poll to see what the general belief was. Please add below any specific reasons you reckon you got through in an attempt to help those who may face the same quest in the future.

I would like to believe it was my shining personailty that got me through - either that or the lady thought i was a looker (you could hardly blame her :D)

Chimp

yabighoor
May 27th, 2004, 01:14
didn't think I would get picked, but i did so I think they're all kind of crazy. I am a bitter bitter woman!!!

Dynamis
May 27th, 2004, 01:22
I bullshitted them completely. They have no idea what they've let onto JET this year.

England's most boring old sod, thats me! :D

Haha, but I managed to convince them I had a shining personality, HAHA :twisted:

Matt

philmine1
May 27th, 2004, 02:32
England's most boring old sod, thats me! :D

That's not true Matt..... you're not old.

Yakaji
May 27th, 2004, 02:55
I figure if JET is indeed looking for generalists, that's what they got in picking me. I have a bit of experience, although not an extensive amount, in the following categories:

- Experience living abroad (6 months of exchange)
- Experience tutoring
- Experience teaching in a classroom (very brief)
- Experience speaking Japanese (in high school)
- Experience with Japanese culture (a history minor devoted to Asia and courses in film and lit)
- Experience working a 9to5 job (for two summers)
- Experience with written English (as an opinion columnist in my college paper)
- Experience with spoken English (liturgical reading at a church for about ten years)

I also have a record of academic excellence (National Merit, AP, Magna, crazy stanardized test scores), pretty glowing recommendations, and a very-well crafted essay.

That got me to the interview stage, at which point my ability to think on my feet, my stress tolerance, and my appearance helped me sneak into the program. Oh, and it didn't hurt to be so psychologically cracked that I'm able to smile while people kick me in the groin.

I put myself down for boundless enthusiasm, since I think that's more akin to what got me through the interview stage, but I'd say the sum of these is probably what tipped me over the edge. And if you think i'm blowing my own horn here, remember two things:
1) Everything above is true
2) I -still- feel like it was an even shot on whether or not I'd get accepted with all that. Maybe I don't have perspective on how much the above might be worth, but I've always been of the opinion that I probably eeked by. My friends, who admittedly had less application padding and didn't dress as snazzily for the interview, dinnae get in.

richardp
May 27th, 2004, 03:11
I figure if JET is indeed looking for generalists, that's what they got in picking me. I have a bit of experience, although not an extensive amount, in the following categories:

- Experience living abroad (6 months of exchange)
- Experience tutoring
- Experience teaching in a classroom (very brief)
- Experience speaking Japanese (in high school)
- Experience with Japanese culture (a history minor devoted to Asia and courses in film and lit)
- Experience working a 9to5 job (for two summers)
- Experience with written English (as an opinion columnist in my college paper)
- Experience with spoken English (liturgical reading at a church for about ten years)

I also have a record of academic excellence (National Merit, AP, Magna, crazy stanardized test scores), pretty glowing recommendations, and a very-well crafted essay.

That got me to the interview stage, at which point my ability to think on my feet, my stress tolerance, and my appearance helped me sneak into the program. Oh, and it didn't hurt to be so psychologically cracked that I'm able to smile while people kick me in the groin.

I put myself down for boundless enthusiasm, since I think that's more akin to what got me through the interview stage, but I'd say the sum of these is probably what tipped me over the edge. And if you think i'm blowing my own horn here, remember two things:
1) Everything above is true
2) I -still- feel like it was an even shot on whether or not I'd get accepted with all that. Maybe I don't have perspective on how much the above might be worth, but I've always been of the opinion that I probably eeked by. My friends, who admittedly had less application padding and didn't dress as snazzily for the interview, dinnae get in.

I have experience in the following categories:

- Drinking Beer

That is all.