PDA

View Full Version : Anyone applying for JET in September?

shadowrook
August 11th, 2005, 10:27
Hey guys,

I'm just a n00b here, but I am really interested in the JET Programme, and I was wondering if anyone here is planning on applying for JET in September (hence, the title)?

I know I am, and I'm already psyched about it...but at the same time already starting to worry, heh. I realize that applications won't be out for another month at least, but this is something I really want to do, and I'd like to support any other potential applicants. ^_^

Also, I want to congradulate all of those forum members who have been accepted to JET, and I wish you the best.

Best of luck to you all!

merc
August 11th, 2005, 13:13
I am as well.

Been interested in Japan for years and had planned on moving there anyway, but the JET program seems perfect for my needs. I know what you mean by starting to worry, the more I hear about it the more I want in and am dreading the wait.

Good Luck

Doomer
August 11th, 2005, 13:48
Waiting is one thing this damn app process will teach you....just make sure when you fill out your app that it is PERFECT and be ready for you interview....good luck to you guys....when you are sitting over here you will realize that it was all worth it in the end!!!

Dynamis
August 11th, 2005, 14:14
Best advice i can give is "Dont Stress About It".

Seriously, you'll give yourself a nervous disorder, and wont enjoy your last months at home.

Getting your app right is something you can do in a few weeks. You can write off for your references etc, and maybe even try and get some teaching experience. But after that, theres very little you can do until the interview. You'll find lots of advice and fellow applicants on sites like this, but i recommend forgetting about JET for a while between your app and interview--just enjoy christmas!

Matt

DaveNumber2
August 11th, 2005, 23:18
I plan on applying :)

shadowrook
August 13th, 2005, 21:32
Heh, I guess it is a bit early for a lot of people to have interest. =P

And Dynamis, thanks...I think that's great advice. However, it's so hard to not worry about it, as the process is designed to be horrible and drawn-out. But, it promotes more loyalty amongst those who do get in then. ^_^

Julius
August 15th, 2005, 03:03
I am pretty psyched as well. Interestingly this is the 3rd time that i will be applying. Wasn't sutaibly qualified the 2 previous times before. Didn't have a first degree. I do have a 2 year degree (an associate) and i have recently completed my Masters but i am not sure if that is going to be what they are looking. I see a lot of stress falling on having a Bachelors and so if anyone out there can shed sme light on my situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alex

Cynthia
August 15th, 2005, 13:03
I am pretty psyched as well. Interestingly this is the 3rd time that i will be applying. Wasn't sutaibly qualified the 2 previous times before. Didn't have a first degree. I do have a 2 year degree (an associate) and i have recently completed my Masters but i am not sure if that is going to be what they are looking. I see a lot of stress falling on having a Bachelors and so if anyone out there can shed sme light on my situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alex

Did you do a dual BA/MA program? Either way you should be fine with a Master's.

For Everyone: Honestly I think the most important thing I've noticed in all of the JETs I've met this year is a willingness to travel. Most of the people I've run across have *some* international traveling experience or at least a serious desire for it. Knowing Japanese, specifically, is not that important. Spend some time on your essay and references, and definitely follow Dynamis's advice!

Doomer
August 16th, 2005, 09:43
Not meaning to Hijack but Cyntihia did your hubby get here yet?

Cynthia
August 16th, 2005, 15:53
Not meaning to Hijack but Cyntihia did your hubby get here yet?

He gets to Tokyo today (3pm-ish), and hopefully to Beppu tomorrow. Go Shinkansen, Go!

Needless to say I'm more than a bit nervous because of the earthquake. Also, Obon fubar-ed his original travel plans (ie: not spending $400 on a one-way, domestic plane ticket) so that's why he's taking the train. What's really annoying is that I looked up the national holidays ahead of time to avoid the problem. Somehow, "Welcome to Japan" seems fitting here. lol. Anyway, hopefully he finds a phone soon and let's me know his whereabouts.

PS: my apologies for the perpetuated hijacking

Dynamis
August 16th, 2005, 22:43
On the degree question, a degree is required to meet the official government requirements for a working visa. So if your degree fits those requirements (i believe 3-year is mentioned) all is good. So if you did a 2-year program + 1 year, that might work, but im not sure if 2-year degrees are sufficient.

That's something you could check just by phoning the Japanese embassy/consulate, since its not strictly JET related, but affects all applicants for work visas.

Matt

Doomer
August 17th, 2005, 12:24
I dont think a 2 year is good enough.....but im not the final word....just my 2 cents

Ladama
August 17th, 2005, 14:19
Hi, it's nice to met everyone. I'm Lauren and I'm obviously new. I thought this would be a good post to start in. I plan on applying to JET this year, and I sure hope I make it. Otherwise I'll have to try to use my degree and find a job, what's the fun of that? The applications aren't even out yet and I'm already thinking "will my essay be good enough? will I even get to the interview part." I think I worry entirely too much. From all I've read and heard about JET, it seems like nothing really gives you a certain edge, just apply and hope they like you.

I'm glad I found this site, I think I'll end up visiting it a lot. :D

Doomer
August 17th, 2005, 14:51
Ladama,

Welcome!!!! Welcome!!! Welcome!!! You will find that this site has alot to offer as far as help applying goes!!! I used it rather extensively and here i am sitting in Japan!!! I worried alot about it too....the best thing you can do is channel that worry into making sure that what you are turning in is perfect and once one phase is out of the way exerting that energy somewhere else....i paint miniature figures for instance!! Also look on BigDaikon.com for advice....Speak your mind there is almost completely useless and not reccommended but the forum for new JETs i found very useful as well!!

Good luck and welcom to da board!!
:smt006 :D :-D :) :-) :^_^: 8)

Ladama
August 17th, 2005, 15:17
oh, yay, I feel so welcome. Did you take any of your miniatures to the interview and say "look what I did while stressing about this!"

I'm sure everyone's posted this somewhere but did any of you current JETers get placed anywhere close to where you requested? One of the main suggestions I see for the application is to request something outside of the more famous cities, but even then it seems like they place you wherever.

And, I dunno, any application tips, other than look it over 50 times before sending it? :D

DaveNumber2
August 17th, 2005, 23:05
I guess I'll introduce myself, too. I'm David and I'm from Kansas City, go to school up in Chicago. My major is in electrical engineering and it is a huge pain in the ass. I currently am an intern and I spend all my time surfing the net, so I've done all my "research" on JET, I suppose, meaning, I figured out that I want to give it a shot. I like ice cream and cake. I used to hate cats, but now they aren't so bad. I don't drink at all (gasp!)...I spent 6 months studying abroad in Australia and never had a drink there, either. Pretttyy craaazy.

merc
August 18th, 2005, 05:42
Hey, I'm Marc from Pennsylvania. Will be finishing university Spring semester just in time. My degree is in Middle Eastern Society but my interests moved from the Middle East to Japan awhile ago. Have read dozens of books on everything from the history to economy. Getting to Japan is the main focus in my life and I'll be going if I get into JET or not, but Jet is by far my first choice as a means to get there. Im afraid that dispite my interest and the huge amount of research Ive done I won't get in because all my knowledge is self taught. Never taken a class on Japan at Uni.
I've spent time living overseas in Cairo and traveling in Africa and think my overseas experience will be my greatest asset.

Doomer
August 18th, 2005, 12:40
oh, yay, I feel so welcome. Did you take any of your miniatures to the interview and say "look what I did while stressing about this!"

I'm sure everyone's posted this somewhere but did any of you current JETers get placed anywhere close to where you requested? One of the main suggestions I see for the application is to request something outside of the more famous cities, but even then it seems like they place you wherever.

And, I dunno, any application tips, other than look it over 50 times before sending it? :D

I got placed EXACTLY where i wanted to be.....but it isnt a super well known prefecture...id been there before and really liked it and on top of that it is insanely close to Kyoto!!!! Whoopeee!!!

Ladama
August 18th, 2005, 13:22
that's really cool you were placed right where you want to be. JET experiances are all over the board, but it seems people requesting the lesser known prefectures are more likely to be placed in their choices. I'd be curious to know what percentage of applicants request tokyo-osaka-kyoto only to end up in some little village in Aomori or something. I think my ideal placement would be anywhere reasonably close to Kyoto. Could I put that on my application I wonder? Choice 1: Somewhere near Kyoto, Choice 2: Anywhere, just accept me! :D

Doomer
August 19th, 2005, 12:11
I got my first request too - Osaka. I requested it because I have been here before and made quite a number of friends here - so I expect that helped (ie. less chance of me freaking out if I have friends here I can talk to).

Exactly...that is why i requested Shiga and Nagano....it is possible to get put into the big cities (not counting Tokyo) you have to have a good reason....and if worse comes to worse take a little know prefecture close to where you really wanna be....i know that is why some people choose to come live by Mother Lake!!!

MisterBeaver
August 21st, 2005, 19:23
Peasant No.987 logging in for the first time.

A big HELLO to each and every one of you. Decided to go for the 2006 intake but need some help with a few Q's. (perhaps it's not the right place to post)

How much time did you all get between receiving the interview date by post and the actual interview itself? You see, I live and work in France and obviously need to give my boss a resonable excuse to get time off to go back to London for the interview process.

Is the interview a 'one off'? Are there instances of follow up interviews?

Good luck Shadowrook and all the other newbies.

Cheers lots!

Doomer
August 22nd, 2005, 11:53
3 weeks in the states....but i had a rather late interview date too...i dont know about the procedure in the UK

Good luck!!

Hannah
August 22nd, 2005, 13:37
A couple of weeks I think. Can't really remember but it wasn't that long.

Should be enough notice for your boss though

sAiYuK
August 24th, 2005, 22:53
Yo

Any other UK applicants here? Im currently doing my research....i want to get the app. over n done with so i can quit thinking about it.

daneish
August 25th, 2005, 00:05
I've been planning to apply for about a year and a half now. Just waiting it out, lurking on boards, talking to a few kids I know over there (and visiting myself this last summer). Good luck to you all though (as long as you finish beind me :wink: ).

Ladama
August 25th, 2005, 02:42
I've been planning to apply for about a year and a half now. Just waiting it out, lurking on boards, talking to a few kids I know over there (and visiting myself this last summer). Good luck to you all though (as long as you finish beind me :wink: ). You sound like me when I ran into this guy from school who just graduated, he told me he wanted to do JET, and I immediately thought to myself "If he makes it and I don't, I will cry and throw a fit." I think I'm about as qualified as anyone, though, it's all good.

Shotokai
August 25th, 2005, 12:18
the best thing i did was get a good friend with an amazing grasp of the English language and a knack for acing interviews to proof read my essay again and again, i had about 5 drafts before i handed in the final one. it really makes u feel confident about it.

onizuka
August 27th, 2005, 16:00
this is great! the JET experience seems like something i want to be apart of. i've always been facinated by japan ever since i was a little kid. my roommate went over there last summer and stayed with his uncle in tokyo who's been living there for 15 years. i was unable to afford the trip but when he came back he said it was as amazing as i thought it would be. i'm going to be recieving my BA in MIS (management information systems) from UMASS this spring, and then hoping to make japan my next step. i've never taught a class before, except for swimmings lessons for when i was a lifeguard during HS. but it seems that no experience isn't that big of a deal. i'm going to apply next month and hope to be part of the next class out next summer! the question is how hard is it to get picked, i mean are you JETs one of hundreds, thousands of who applied? the interview process seems pretty straight forward, but i'm hoping they're looking for more personality and ambition then whats on paper about me. either way i hope to be in japan this time next year. thank you for a wonderful website guys and gals!

Doomer
August 27th, 2005, 22:40
Onizuka....first off good luck with your app and dealing with the whole process...its a lot of work but it is worth it...there are approximately 5,800 JETs in Japan right now from 44 different countries, Ghana was just added this year, during your interview they will look very hard at your personality, they want to make sure you can deal with being soooo far from everything that is familiar to you....make sure you start your app as soon as they put it up online....during the app phase they will be looking for ways to eliminate you, not trying to scare you, becuase there are literally 1000s of applicants every year...you will find the group of folkies here are all great and we will do every thing we can to help you out...i used this site rather extensively when i was applying last year and now here i am sitting in my appt in Shiga typing....good luck to ya....there is a wealth of info here...we are all happy to help, or at least i am....japan could use a great teacher like Onizuka dont you think? :smt006

Ladama
August 28th, 2005, 03:50
Welcome, onizuka, another fellow applicant. yay.

I think after talking to other JETs and applicants, the only conclusion I've come to is that the JET application process is a mystery. Grades, teaching experiance, even knowledge of the Japanese language doesn't seem to play a significant factor (though the Alumni of the Japanese program at my university who have done JET would say knowing Japanese does give you an edge). Just apply and see. :)

Doomer: what do you mean by "during the application process they will be looking for ways to eliminate you"? Now I'm concerned. 8O

onizuka
August 28th, 2005, 04:52
he just means the weeding out process, and yes japan could use another great teacher onizuka, is anime popular over there for everyone or is it just the younger audiences? how did everyone come to choose what location they picked besides maybe knowing someone fom the area?? it seems like tokyo is reserved for private schools

Doomer
August 28th, 2005, 12:32
Onizuka is correct...just the weeding out process....they make sure you dot all your i s and cross all our t s.....they get 1000s of apps....only half of which will get an interview....didnt mean to worry you....just double triple and quadruple check your app before you send it in and send it in with plenty of time....thats what i did....i poured over it like my life depeneded on it! I chose my location not only cause my gf lives in Shiga but also cause i wanted to be in a place with snow...and i wanted to be put in a place where i would have to use more japanese to get around....thats why i chose to come live next to mother lake....good luck you guys...and sorry Ladama didnt mean to scare you...if there is anyway i can help let me know!!

Doomer
August 28th, 2005, 14:22
I almost forgot...in answer to Onizukas other question....Anime is popular amongst people of all ages here...however try not to mention it when you come up to your interview...it just doesnt look right, they say......it looks unprofessional i guess...someone once told me they had enough otakus over here and the last thing they need is one more...so whatever you do...DO NOT MAKE ANIME THE CENTERPEICE OF YOUR INTEREST IN JAPAN...try not to mention it at all...except maybe in passing...

onizuka
August 28th, 2005, 15:29
i don't even watch anime, but i did notice that i see it more and more often here and figured that it must be popular at least with the kids there. adult swim has plenty of dubbed anime

Ladama
September 2nd, 2005, 09:08
well, the application isn't available yet for the US, but they do have a check list posted on their website of everything you'll have to send in for the application. Never too early to start putting stuff together, the deadline is Nov 29th.

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JETProgram/application.html

I'm already pondering the essay in my head, and thinking about who I'll ask for references. I need to ask my Japanese teacher soon, while she still has a good opinion of me (because with my sad japanese skills, she won't later in the semester :D )

onizuka
September 2nd, 2005, 10:35
whats your major? are you taking japanese language as an elective? i need to get involved with this at my school!!! ;-)

Ladama
September 2nd, 2005, 10:54
whats your major? are you taking japanese language as an elective? i need to get involved with this at my school!!! ;-) Art-empahis on graphic design. I'm minoring in Japanese (well, not offically yet, I'm turning in my form tomorrow), my school doesn't have a Japanese Major, but we still have a good program because my sensei awesome. Strict but awesome.

onizuka
September 2nd, 2005, 11:03
i'm guessing you'll be graduating this spring?? i need to get into a language program, i don't if i can squeeze it in with my already crazy schedule, but i think that japanese language classes can really help our chances

Doomer
September 2nd, 2005, 13:03
i'm guessing you'll be graduating this spring?? i need to get into a language program, i don't if i can squeeze it in with my already crazy schedule, but i think that japanese language classes can really help our chances

they certainly wouldnt look bad!!

Ladama
September 14th, 2005, 12:29
what's the deal with the application? The USA site said it'd be available online in september, then late september, now it says october? already trying to weed out some people by making the application window smaller, I dunno.

Doomer
September 14th, 2005, 15:20
what's the deal with the application? The USA site said it'd be available online in september, then late september, now it says october? already trying to weed out some people by making the application window smaller, I dunno.

Perhaps...last year it wasnt availible until early october...so im guessing itll be out the same time it was last year...