PDA

View Full Version : Fukushima Placement

Dylan
May 25th, 2004, 21:28
Ive just found out ive been placed in Fukushima prefecture, Hirata Village, anyone else going to Fukushima? would be good to hear from you!

Dylan

gan8sha
May 28th, 2004, 09:40
I'm in Fukushima too...in Hobara-machi. I really don't know much about the area, but I will share anything I find!

:)

bluebird
May 29th, 2004, 07:31
Me too!

I'm in Samagawa Mura, about an hour North of Tokyo by Train. I hear there are lots of Mountains and trees, ruined castles, traditional culture and crafts. It sounds like it's really rainy and snowy in the winter, and dips just below freezing. In the Summer I hear it's about room temperature or a little above. That's all I've got so far.

Soma
May 31st, 2004, 10:07
Finally!

I am being placed in Fukushima Prefecture, and happily in Fukushima City, which is about 290'000 persons large. I am pretty happy with that, unfortunately I know nothing else, but I am glad to see the temperature is about right!

Dylan
June 1st, 2004, 17:22
Nice one!

I found a good website set for fukushima JETs, I emiled and they were really helpful, here is the link: -

http://www.fujet.net/

Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

Dylan

gan8sha
June 2nd, 2004, 08:05
I still haven't found too much info on Fukushima, but I am still looking!!!! A package from Fukushima was almost delivered to my house, but I missed getting it 2 days in a row...... :(

The second day it was the Post Office's fault...bastards....they told me to pick it up at the wrong branch..... :evil:

Any-hoo...I will be picking up my package 1st thing in the morning, and I will let you guys know if there is any cool info enclosed. I look forward to meeting everyone!!!!! 8)

gan8sha
June 5th, 2004, 01:42
Well, I finally got my package from the BOE!! :D :D

In it was my contract, some information on my town and a map of my town with a bunch of things highlighted on it (I say things because the map is in Japanese and I can't read it :( ) The area I am in looks beautiful!!! It is about 12km away from Fukushima city, so I will be pretty close to you, Soma. :) According to the brochure I got, Hobara is big in fruit and silk. They harvest about 4000 tons of peaches per year. I love peaches, so this should work out just fine. :)

I have heard from my predecessor, but he just e-mailed me to let me know he will get back to me soon because he is in Osaka right now. I'll keep you guys posted on any info I find!

Dylan
June 5th, 2004, 03:34
Nice one!

I got a package from my BOE aswell, Fukushima seems like a nice area (even though I couldent read any of the information!). Did anyone else get some info about the homestay Japanese langauge course is Aizu-Wakamatsu? Im gonna go, so I need to send my reply form soon!

gan8sha
June 5th, 2004, 06:49
Yeah, I got the info about the homestay in Aizu too and plan on going. I'll see you there! I was a little intimidated by the quiz though, I didn't really know anything on there :? Oh well, I guess that makes me a beginner then....

Soma
June 6th, 2004, 10:16
I got my contract yesterday, and also plan on going to the Aizu language getaway/homestay thing. Similarly I could not answer one single question on the language thing, so "Pre-Beginner" is most definitely me!

I did find out that my rent is free, as is key money, and the apartment sounds most furnished. Obviously the prefecture owns the apartment block or something similar. That is so sweet it seems too good! I live with the five other JETs who are placed in Fukushima in an apartment block, which should pretty cool.

Gan8sha, 12km is not much at all, running distance really! Sounds like there are a few people placed very close to the city itself, even if there is only 6 JETs for the whole of Fukushima city proper.

The letter from my supervisor was 'interesting', in terms of the grammatic content! I guess we just to remember that we are "assistants" and not cause trouble!

jesek
June 17th, 2004, 07:34
I am placed in Fukushima, teaching at a SHS. So far, that's all I know and am so anxious to get the rest of the details! I did get my contract and will probably do the Homestay...I will be flying with Group B from Hawaii. Looking forward to meeting you guys!