PDA

View Full Version : Everything and Anything Tottori!!!

adammoogle
May 25th, 2004, 23:04
Hey everyone,

I thought we should have our own topic seen as how were so special and everything... :? :D

just a place to post anything and everything you can think of or have found out about tottori (which might not be much as its an itty bitty place!)

oh and i think we'd all really really REALLY like to hear anything at all from current tottori jets :wink:

heres my not so interesting fact to start;
tottori gets quite alot of rain and is very cloudy...in fact, the wettest time of year is august till september so pack a umbrella or 10... :lol:

Kevin
May 26th, 2004, 02:49
Tottori seems pretty cool actually. Good skiing, hiking, hot springs, sand dunes, etc...I mean, its not a big city environment, but still not a bad place to spend some time. I'm still waiting to hear what city I'm assigned to. Here are some sites to check out for more info on Tottori.

http://www.geocities.jp/tottorijet/

these are general information sites about tottori:
http://www.pref.tottori.jp/english/
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTG/RI/chugoku/tottori/tottori/tottori.html
http://www.torisakyu.or.jp/
http://www.eatof.org/explorer/english

adammoogle
May 26th, 2004, 03:14
yeah, ignore me, all the talk of snow scared me and seen as how i had no pref on the app i can't really bitch now can i???

heres hoping for a palatial pad now with spa, jaquzzi (sp?), basketball court and big double bed :D

bet i can climb that mountain quicker than you can!!!

*sounds of banging door and running footsteps*

feech
May 26th, 2004, 11:32
hey guys,

good job on the links kevin. i think you've covered most of what i have too.

http://www.town.nakayama.tottori.jp/sight/sight.html
www.osaka.ajet.net/apr04.html (re: the annual 48 hr tottori beach party)
http://www.qsl.net/ah6hy/jetprogram.html
http://japan.asinah.net/en/wikipedia/t/to/tottori_prefecture.html
http://www.flags-by-swi.com/fotw/flags/jp-31.html
http://www.city.tottori.tottori.jp/top/profile/e_profil.htm
http://www.hirohurl.net/vi.html

okay enough for now. i'd also recommend going to the bigdaikon discussion boards and just search under tottori...some interesting conversations abound.

it's going to be beautiful, with plenty to do and lots of great (and not too distant) weekend spots to visit. now all i have to do is figure out how to pay for this new snow wardrobe i have to get.

adammoogle
May 27th, 2004, 03:04
okay enough for now. i'd also recommend going to the bigdaikon discussion boards and just search under tottori...some interesting conversations abound.

done and done, the 'what does your city smell of?' thread is heartily recommended! :D

and thanks for the links, there great! heres some more i found but there more centered towards the west and the city i'll be in yonago :)

excellent guide in english with pictures for yonago city, my home 4 the next year!
http://www.yonago-city.jp/gaiyo/en/index_e.htm

Good info about our area
http://www.chugoku.meti.go.jp/english-hp/region/index.html

Map of Tottori + surrounding area rail links.
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cove/5750/westernhonshu.html

Yonago Weather!!!!
http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?locCode=RJ89

Lots on random tottori info
http://torisakyu.or.jp/en/living/index.html

dosn't it look cool!!?!!? its got mountains, its a city and i'm near the beach, what more could you ask for??? oh and theres great rail links so hiroshima here i come!!! :) :) :)

Kevin
May 27th, 2004, 03:27
Careful Adam,

It sounds like you're actually getting excited about Tottori?!

adammoogle
May 27th, 2004, 05:43
Careful Adam,

It sounds like you're actually getting excited about Tottori?!

:P :lol:

Yeah, now i no the city and have checked it out it looks pretty nice, all i wanted was somewhere near the sea with a volcano...shame about the climate but you can't have everything, and Yonago seems like a decent loaction to travel from :)

pats on the back all round! :D

you know where exactly you'll b heading kev?

Kevin
May 27th, 2004, 05:51
Not yet-They said that since I'll be teaching in a high school, I won't know for another few weeks. It would be nice to know, but the whole area seems cool.

adammoogle
May 27th, 2004, 05:55
oh well, we'll have to meet up for some naked hot spring action :D

we get another orientation in tottori don't we??? i think they'll look after us well :)

it'd be nice to see where were living though, lets fantasy house shop!!! what do u want, an apartment or a house?

after seeing kelicopters place i want me a house! :)

Kevin
May 28th, 2004, 02:58
The naked hot soring sounds great.......assuming we're both surrounded by beautiful japanese women! I guess a house would be cool-I just want my own place.

Yeah-we get a 2 day orientation in Tottori.

adammoogle
May 28th, 2004, 03:52
The naked hot soring sounds great.......assuming we're both surrounded by beautiful japanese women!

but of course! with our good looks and winning personalities how could we not be surrounded by the sexiest hotties around????

i'd go for a house aswell,

now, a western style shower or one of those japanese baths????

Kevin
May 28th, 2004, 04:03
Depends.....Japanese bath if I have a japanese girlfirend. Western shower if not.

dobharrison
May 28th, 2004, 04:08
Hey! I hope there'll be some girls left for us poor souls in Hiroshima-ken!

monkeyfeet
May 28th, 2004, 13:48
yah, hot springs sound great, although i'm not sure i share your enthusiasm for nekked japanese girls. a guy i used to work with once assured me that i would "like little asian girls if i tried them," but i remain skeptical. (i'm a girl, btw)

anyway, i found out i'm going to kurayoshi-shi. yay for knowing my placement! :D

dobharrison
May 28th, 2004, 18:05
a guy i used to work with once assured me that i would "like little asian girls if i tried them,"

What a strange thing to say!

Monkeyfeet, I will add your new info to the master thread, which I must reiterate is way better than Rich's Chubu thread.

adammoogle
May 29th, 2004, 03:35
anyway, i found out i'm going to kurayoshi-shi. yay for knowing my placement!

congrats monkey! checked it out on the map and looks like its central tottori, not to far away from me! (touch wood, i'm convinced somethings going to go horribly wrong and i won't be able to go :()

found out anything more about the place???

Hey! I hope there'll be some girls left for us poor souls in Hiroshima-ken!

i shouldn't think u'll hav to worry pimp daddy dob, we'll all be coming round to your house anyway when were lonely...

Depends.....Japanese bath if I have a japanese girlfirend. Western shower if not

lets be optomistic and say jap bath (although the ones i've seen look like that steam box 007 got trapped in, bit cramped for 2...), so we have a house, jap bath...garden or garage?

Kevin
May 29th, 2004, 04:47
Tough call-I don't plan on getting a car, so I guess a garden. I kind of doubt we'll have either. But hey, you can always dream.....

monkeyfeet
May 29th, 2004, 12:42
What a strange thing to say!

and, really, that was only the tip of the iceburg. that guy was always good for some amazing conversation. one memorable exchange went something like this...

coworker: in thailand, it's so cool. all you hafta do to get a girl to sleep with you is, like, buy her some rice.
me: um, fascinating.
coworker: no, really, you don't even hafta pay them. i just bought this girl a bowl of rice, it cost like 30 cents, and then she had sex with me.
me: uh, do you know the meaning of the word "exploitation?"
coworker: no. why?
me: somehow i'm not surprised.
coworker: whatever, it's not prostitution if they're desperate.

i think he made a convincing argument. :roll:

Monkeyfeet, I will add your new info to the master thread, which I must reiterate is way better than Rich's Chubu thread.

excellent. the chugoku thread is without a doubt cooler than the chubu thread. that really goes without saying.

also, it's occurred to me that i'm going to get to japan and meet all you people, and you're going to know me as "monkeyfeet." i'm starting to regret my capricious choice of nickname. hehe.

monkeyfeet
May 29th, 2004, 13:00
congrats monkey! checked it out on the map and looks like its central tottori, not to far away from me! (touch wood, i'm convinced somethings going to go horribly wrong and i won't be able to go :()

found out anything more about the place???

thanks, adam! yah, it looks pretty cool. population is something like 50,000 so it's not exactly huge, but it's big enough to have its own train station and such, so i'm happy about that. i found a couple pictures online and it looks really pretty.

http://www.machinami-net.gr.jp/Hozontiku/kurayoshi.html
http://www.meeturplanet.com/cool_adventures.asp?id=86&tourID=3#

c'mon, nothing's going to go wrong. i mean, unless you held up a bank or something and are just waiting for the authorities to show up and haul you off. if that's the case, then, all right, you should worry. but otherwise, after all the waiting, you made it! you're short-listed! you have your placement! you're going to japan!! woohoo!!! japan!!! :D (gosh, i hope i didn't just jinx you :P)

adammoogle
May 30th, 2004, 02:18
(gosh, i hope i didn't just jinx you )

grrrrrr, i have now touched every piece of wood in the house...now to find some rabbits feet...

*sound of gun shots and sawing*

oh and to answer your question from the other thread monkey, i was in flag studying for a year, and it was cool but not that much of a party town, people mostly went into the woods and got stoned, however, just as i was leaving they did open a funky oriental style night club with tasty cocktails 8)

btw, looks like you could sword fight on those roofs ala crouching tiger

dobharrison
May 30th, 2004, 05:05
[quote=dobharrison]coworker: in thailand, it's so cool. all you hafta do to get a girl to sleep with you is, like, buy her some rice.

Hmm. I lived in Thailand for a year and, while I didn't sleep with any thai girls (I suspect my girlfriend may have minded!), I do know that this is not the case! Who the hell did your friend meet!?!?!?! And was she really a girl?

monkeyfeet
May 30th, 2004, 08:09
*sound of gun shots and sawing*
see, now, i'm pretty sure that you're just joking here. but this other guy that i used to work with (at the same job as thailand boy, no less) comes into my room one night, tosses a severed rabbit's foot at me and says, "gee, i hope this brings you more luck than it did the rabbit." he then goes outside, gets the rabbit (which he'd shot a few minutes before), smears the carcass on the window that my roommate is sitting by, and proceeds to throw it in our trash can.

uhmmmmmm...

yea.

btw, looks like you could sword fight on those roofs ala crouching tiger
heh. that sounds like it would be an excellent thing to watch someone else do!!

monkeyfeet
May 30th, 2004, 08:25
Hmm. I lived in Thailand for a year and, while I didn't sleep with any thai girls (I suspect my girlfriend may have minded!), I do know that this is not the case! Who the hell did your friend meet!?!?!?! And was she really a girl?

hmm, i'm not really sure, i was under the impression that she was a stripper or a prostitute or both. and honestly, it's pretty horrifying to me that she would be so desperate as to sleep with this guy for a bowl of rice.

i think he did have a run-in with a she-male at one point, but he was much less forthcoming with that story, so i didnt really get all the details.

how was living in thailand for a yr? and what were you doing there? i'm really hoping i'll have a chance to go to thailand while i'm in japan.

Kevin
May 30th, 2004, 14:12
Monkeyfeet-

So what is your name then??? If you're going to Thailand, let me know. I definitely want to head over there. I'll just be sure to avoid rabbit killers and women who are way too excited about rice.

dobharrison
May 31st, 2004, 09:44
also, it's occurred to me that i'm going to get to japan and meet all you people, and you're going to know me as "monkeyfeet." i'm starting to regret my capricious choice of nickname. hehe.

We will have high expectations for you! You do know that, don't you?

monkeyfeet
May 31st, 2004, 10:13
hey kevin. my name's kate. nice to meet you. :)

well, dob, i do have uncommonly dexterous feet, so i feel confident i can live up to expectations, at least in that regard.

dobharrison
May 31st, 2004, 21:12
hey kevin. my name's kate. nice to meet you. :)

Aaargh, you've spoiled all the suspense now!

Oh, nice to meet you, Kate! Have you introduced yourself in the 'Introductions' thread?

adammoogle
May 31st, 2004, 21:41
Hmm. I lived in Thailand for a year

excellent, i'll leave the chugoku jet visit to thailand planning up to you then!

have just been shown how to search for images instead of webpages on the net, i feel like i've been to Tottori already now! and some of the scenery looks pretty spectacular 8) however the search also brought up hairstyles of tottori, equally spectacular but not so cool...guess i'll be roping one of you lovely people into taking a shaver to my head!

still waiting to hear from my pred, grrrrr

kate and kevin eh? i think i'll change my name to kadam to fit in, what do you think kob?

dobharrison
May 31st, 2004, 21:44
kate and kevin eh? i think i'll change my name to kadam to fit in, what do you think kob?

Kool!

monkeyfeet
June 1st, 2004, 05:41
Aaargh, you've spoiled all the suspense now!

Oh, nice to meet you, Kate! Have you introduced yourself in the 'Introductions' thread?

yep, i have now. consider the suspense officially spoiled. and, as a side note, it's awfully refreshing to see you shamelessly promoting a thread other than the cooler-than-rich's-chubu-thread thread. :P

dobharrison
June 1st, 2004, 06:36
yep, i have now. consider the suspense officially spoiled. and, as a side note, it's awfully refreshing to see you shamelessly promoting a thread other than the cooler-than-rich's-chubu-thread thread. :P

Yes, and I must reiterate that my thread is much better than Rich's!

And yes, I am shameless!

Kat
June 1st, 2004, 16:25
Ricccchhhh!!

Are you reading this thread?!

get to work, Dob's getting a bit too big headed about this thread, seems to think his is better than the chubu one...

dobby, give it up man!!!

dobharrison
June 1st, 2004, 17:34
Hey!

What do you think you're doing here!?!?! Get back to your own thread!

Bloody kids!

adammoogle
June 3rd, 2004, 03:15
you guys get the 2nd email from mayumi?

thought it was quite useful, although i've still no clue what 'gifts' to bring, ah well, plenty of time yet.

and i'm guessing you guys checked out the rural placement thread in bd, pretty reassuring stuff eh?

oh wait, it was only me freaking out about it anyway :oops:

oh and dob, your avatar is giving me nightmares :cry:

monkeyfeet
June 8th, 2004, 13:22
yay!! i got a packet from my CO today, complete with contract specs, a guidebook to living in tottori, and brochures for kurayoshi!! after weeks of scouring the internet for pictures, i now have two whole brochures full of them. so exciting!! it looks so beautiful!!

i hafta say, i'm a big fan of the public restroom featured in one of the brochures. it's shaped like a grand piano, and has a complementary telephone booth. i dont even like walking near public restrooms in the u.s. in japan they apparently look like works of art. truly amazing.

also, in a brochure picture showing foreign language instruction, the phrase written on the blackboard (in english) is "i'm lost and confused." how remarkably apt...

adammoogle
June 12th, 2004, 00:56
hey, whats happening everyone!!?!?!?

have you checked out the shimane thread, there have more views than our wonderful Tottori one and they have nearly caught up with our post count!!!

*sirens start wailing and red emergancy lights flash on and off*

I guess if your like me your too wrapped in in chatting to your pred, yay! :) to post much on here anymore...but dammit people lets show some tottori community spirit and sock one to those upstart shimane peasents...

the yonago jets seem lovely, and I even got a call from one today telling me all about it and if there were any questions I wanted answering...(i didn't cos it was bloody early and I was still trying to figure out how to brush my teeth, also I have just received the info packet about yonago with my contract in it and its got loads and loads and loads of info in it)

so has anyone else found out anything exciting about tottori???

i think yonagos the best place there... :P

:wink:

Kevin
June 12th, 2004, 01:18
Adam,

Don't worry-no matter how many posts there are, we all know Tottori is the best.

I'm still waiting to hear what city I'm going to.....I just love waiting!

adammoogle
June 15th, 2004, 22:05
kev!

have you checked your email...you might have a pleasant surprise! :wink: its not Yonago though :o

and you in a special C group! :lol:

see you in japan!

Kevin
June 16th, 2004, 02:08
Adam,

Yeah, I just checked...Kurayoshi-shi. I still haven't heard from my pred though. So Monkeyfeet, it looks nice? I can't find much about it on the web.

monkeyfeet
June 16th, 2004, 10:07
yah, kevin, i think it looks pretty nice. you want me to scan the brochures i got from the boe and email them to you?

wasabi_lover
July 1st, 2004, 10:40
hey all you Tottorites!!. I am an outgoing ALT from the neighboring Shimane Prefecture. . I thought I would use this space today to talk about my car. It is a 1993 black Honda Civic hatchback. It has 250,000 km on it, which is all highway and has a good stereo and great AC. It is insured until October at which point you would have to insure it. We are asking 170,000 yen OBO delivered to the closest train station to your house. The car also has brand new snow tires that cost 50,000 just last year. We will also give you the chains for the snow tires and the summer tires as well. While most cars ALTs drive small K cars, this one is a regular western size civic hatchback. Great for hauling friends and things around in. PM me or the kanadajin if you are interested.

Kevin
August 4th, 2004, 04:09
Hey all you new Tottori JETs,

I'll be getting to Tottori, Kurayoshi-shi, in 2 weeks. Any advice now that you're there?

Kevin

slizabeta
June 28th, 2005, 05:47
Hey guys...

I'll be heading to Tottori-shi... anyone wind up in my neck of the woods? Not quite so inaka as I was expecting after finding out the prefecture... ;-)

Also, for the prefectural JETS... anyone gotten their contract yet? Just wondering, because my address is about to expire...

adammoogle
July 6th, 2005, 15:21
hey sliz!

sorry for the delayed response, as you can probably tell from the above posts its been awhile since anyone checked this thread (over a year now, how time flies!)

I'm sure you'll be overjoyed to know I'm staying one more year in lovely tottori (so it can't be that bad right? :wink: )

but, it really is inaka, and depending on where you get placed (kurayoshi cough cough) the city might not be that great...

yonago is the best though :D

have you checked big daikon? there was a few tottori people posting on there, maybe you'll have more luck!

see u in tottori!

(oh an pm me if you have any questions before your pred gets in touch)