PDA

View Full Version : Reference Forms

Cori
September 2nd, 2005, 14:13
Hi, everyone! I'm planning on applying to JET for 2006. However, the application is already outsmarting me.

I'm very confused about the letters of reference section. It says: "Ask each reference writer to make two additional copies of his or her original letter with original signatures and the reference form. All reference forms should be returned directly to you in sealed, signed envelopes. You should include these two sealed, signed envelopes with your completed application packet."

For one thing, does "two additional copies" mean photocopies of "the original letter with original signatures" or two extra actual printed copies with signatures (basically providing three original letters)?

For another, they want an original plus two copies--doesn't that make three sealed, signed envelopes, not two? Or is the original not supposed to be sealed into an envelope?

The reference form says:

Please RETURN the following TO THE APPLICANT in a signed, sealed envelope:
1. This form
2. Your personal assessment (which includes a reference to the applicant’s expected date of
graduation)
3. Two additional copies of form and assessment

So all three copies end up in a single signed, sealed envelope? Won't we have to open that envelope in order to collate the documents like they want us to?

Also, especially for those of you who were accepted, who did you get reference letters from?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Ladama
September 2nd, 2005, 14:24
they aren't very clear about what they want at all. On the pdf checklist found here http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JETProgram/06checklist.pdf it says they want the 3 copies in one envelope, then that envelope sealed and signed. That's just what it says, someone whose actually gone through the application process would know better than me.

Doomer
September 2nd, 2005, 14:45
Ok here we go,

They want 3 copies of the letter (i recommend it be typed) your reference that has to sign all 3 of them and put them each in its own envelope and sign the envelope, basically 3 original letters...thats what they did for me...

as far as who i got to vouch for me?

I got my seargent at work (i worked at a Police Station)
and
The coordinator of the Converstaion Program at my university

Ini
September 3rd, 2005, 03:32
snap, I got a sergeant to write mine as well - I still remember his kind words, "urinated mostly in the bucket, buggery kept to a minimum". Like a father he was.

Doomer
September 3rd, 2005, 11:07
"urinated mostly in the bucket, buggery kept to a minimum".

cum now...your more talented than that!!

Ini
September 3rd, 2005, 13:02
cum now

If I could cum on demand I wouldnt be wasting my time being a JET

Pandilex
September 3rd, 2005, 20:01
The idea is that you can't read or tamper with your references, so my main reference printed out 10 copies, signed and sealed 3 and then signed the rest and gave them to me to use later if I ever needed them lol. It was a good reference too!

My 2nd reference was written in Japanese but the year I applied they didn't accept nihongo references (unlike the year before) so I had to get it in English instead.

Cori
September 4th, 2005, 00:48
Thank you for your replies! I wouldn't be so anal about this if I hadn't heard that getting this exactly right is essential :-|

They want 3 copies of the letter (i recommend it be typed) your reference that has to sign all 3 of them and put them each in its own envelope and sign the envelope

Each into its own envelope? http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JETProgram/06checklist.pdf does seem to indicate that all three letters should go into a single envelope. Maybe that's something which has changed in this year's application?

Ladama
September 4th, 2005, 05:18
It also says on the main application page

All reference forms should be returned directly to you in sealed, signed envelopes. You should include these two sealed, signed envelopes with your completed application packet.
But it certainly wouldn't hurt to contact your nearest Japanese consulate and double check.

Doomer
September 4th, 2005, 15:19
I got em in seperate envelopes and put them all in one big one...Id double check but all my app stuff is 2000 miles away at home....

quasarsglow
September 4th, 2005, 17:12
I had three letters all signed and one original of the form plus two copies of it all stuffed into one signed & sealed envelope from each reference.

All told two very thick envelopes in with my whole packet of application materials.

Cori
September 8th, 2005, 08:36
Thanks for the insights, everyone :)

Ini
September 11th, 2005, 18:40
cori eh? tell me whats been happening on the street recently? Has anyone finally realized that deidre is so ugly that she cannot be allowed to live any more for the good of mankind?

adammoogle
September 12th, 2005, 09:16
Has anyone finally realized that deidre is so ugly that she cannot be allowed to live any more for the good of mankind?

but looking at ugly people makes you feel prettier...

Ini
September 12th, 2005, 23:27
yes but deidre makes me want to rip my own testicles off in case i happen to be standing next to her after 2 bottles of Balvinnie and have lost my sense of sight, smell, touch, taste and hearing

Pandilex
September 13th, 2005, 18:21
Who is this person?

Ini
September 13th, 2005, 18:30
Deidre Langton-Barlow-Rashid? What sort of englishman doesnt know who she is? Next you'll be telling me you dont know who Curly Watts or Mike Baldwin is.