PDA

View Full Version : Hyogo Represent!

Faustus
May 26th, 2004, 05:59
Yeah, thought I'd use some gratuitous ebonics in making a thread for those of us headed Hyogo way.

So, who's checked out the Hyogo AJET (http://www.geocities.com/hyogoajet/index.htm) site? It looks like there's a really active AJET chapter in our ken, which is great. Anyone else worrying about learning Kansai-ben?

Personally, I'm toying with the idea of signing up for the Inter-Hyogo football team, but I'm pretty rubbish at football/soccer. Love it with a passion, but unfortunately my enthusiasm doesn't often translate to skill. Anyone else thinking of signing on or know just how hard-core and competetive the team is? It's a bit different if everyone's just playing for fun, but if it's one of those where people want to win or die, I might give it a pass.

Anyway, talk amongst yourselves- I'll give you a topic: the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor was it an empire- discuss. [/Linda Richmond]

Edited to add a link to the AJET site.

Rumi42
May 27th, 2004, 15:10
Hyoooooooooogo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be joining ya' there in Hyogoland. Don't know about the football, though...
I have to say I am not at all worried about learning Kansai-ben, primarily because I don't know what it is. Care to enlighten the unenlightened?

cottamg
May 27th, 2004, 16:44
do you know where in Hyogo you'll be going?

I'm going to Yabu-shi... up north .. in the mountains.. ooooh yeah. :)

G

Rumi42
May 27th, 2004, 17:03
I'm prefectural, so I guess I'll know right around.....oh.....2007. I, however, am waiting w/ baited breath to know my city!

cottamg
May 27th, 2004, 20:35
Yeah, thought I'd use some gratuitous ebonics in making a thread for those of us headed Hyogo way.

So, who's checked out the Hyogo AJET (http://www.geocities.com/hyogoajet/index.htm) site? It looks like there's a really active AJET chapter in our ken, which is great. Anyone else worrying about learning Kansai-ben?

Personally, I'm toying with the idea of signing up for the Inter-Hyogo football team, but I'm pretty rubbish at football/soccer. Love it with a passion, but unfortunately my enthusiasm doesn't often translate to skill. Anyone else thinking of signing on or know just how hard-core and competetive the team is? It's a bit different if everyone's just playing for fun, but if it's one of those where people want to win or die, I might give it a pass.

Anyway, talk amongst yourselves- I'll give you a topic: the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor was it an empire- discuss. [/Linda Richmond]

Edited to add a link to the AJET site.

That website is great!!!!!

you're a legend!... I can't believe I hadn't found it myself..

people are probably sick of me posting the link, but I'm proud of my little excel sheet.. (and maps as well)

www.arach.net.au/~cottam/temp/JET

enjoy.

Gareth

justhis1nce
May 28th, 2004, 03:07
Hyoooooooooogo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be joining ya' there in Hyogoland. Don't know about the football, though...
I have to say I am not at all worried about learning Kansai-ben, primarily because I don't know what it is. Care to enlighten the unenlightened?

Kansai-ben is the dialect spoken in the Kansai area. There are dialects for different regions of Japan (Tohoku-ben etc), but Kansai-ben is the most famous, in part because of comedians like the group Downtown, who host Hey!Hey!Hey! (a music show). It's not hard to learn, but most people will speak standard Japanese to you.

Faustus
May 28th, 2004, 05:07
Here's hoping! I've got enough trouble with the standard stuff- throw in Kansai-ben, and it could get ugly. I like the maps, Justhis1nce, BTW.

There really is a load of information on the Hyogo AJET site, which is definitely helpful. I mean, I guess appearances can be deceiving, but they seem really active and involved.

I'm going to Miki-shi- it's about an hour outside of Kobe (by train), maybe an hour and a half from Osaka. Really great location, it sounds like.

akira
May 28th, 2004, 10:17
Whatup Hyogo peeps.

Just heard today, Hyogo ken, Sasayama shi.

Choice! 30min train ride to Kobe (my first choice).

Looking forward to meeting all of you as well.

I'm wondering how close to snowboarding spots we are???

Also, Faustus...did you say you were from Maine? I have some good friends in Portland (in the band Cerberus Shoal)...heard of them?

cottamg
May 28th, 2004, 18:21
I'm wondering how close to snowboarding spots we are???

Yo,

I'll be in Yabu-shi (to the north of Hyogo) where they have ski resorts and onsens (hot springs).... it's a ?? hour train ride from Kobe and 2.5 hours from Osaka.

G

liquidnuance
May 29th, 2004, 10:19
Hi y'all! I'm going to Hyogo too (with Group A), but still don't know where. (which is driving me crazy!) Either way, I'm thrilled to be in the Kansai area, and it'll be fun trying to pick up Kansaiben.

Jenny (from Seattle)

Rumi42
May 29th, 2004, 16:03
Seattle, huh? Me too!! Where are you from?

akira
May 30th, 2004, 12:30
Seems as if there is a lovely little handful of us Seattle-bred Kansai (Hyogo) bound kiddies. Look forward to meeting you all (and the rest in Japan) at Seattle orientations and the "Pizza JET-Together". Cheesy! Pun very much intended.

Rumi42
May 30th, 2004, 18:37
Is anyone else here from Spokane, by chance?

jamie
June 2nd, 2004, 18:14
Well I have been placed in Yabu city and after reading through this forum have discovered that is is not a city at all!!!

(Gareth I finally managed to figure out how to work this website)

If any of you guys have any info and I mean ANY info, I would love to hear about it, such as how big it is? is there skiing? what are the chances of bumping into other westeners? and what is all this talk about a wicked house?
Is it quite rural?
Just anything would really be news to me, I can't find any info anywhere!

Oh and by the way I'm from, Queenstown, New Zealand and am a 21 year old girl who would love to be enlightened a bit

jamie warwick

Laura
June 5th, 2004, 21:46
I'm an upgraded alternate and I just found out my placement!!! Like two weeks after everyone else! But still, it's great to finally know although i know NOTHING about the place yet. I'm off to Miki City (in Hyogo, obviously!) and in the London group B. Eeeeee! Can't believe I finally know!

Laura
June 5th, 2004, 23:09
By the way Faustus, my Miki comrade, I found a blog of some guy who may well be one of our predecessors. http://www.seijidoesjapan.com/archive/2004_05_01_archive.html

:) [/url]

Faustus
June 6th, 2004, 14:54
Hey! First of all, congrats on the upgrade- I bet it's a relief for that particular wait to be over. Secondly, I found that blog, too- I've been trying for almost a month now to get up the nerve to e-mail the guy, but I haven't quite gotten there yet. I'm getting more and more desperate for info, though, so it's probably only a matter of time before the desperation wins out over any concerns I have about being a stalker.

Third, where in London are you from? I used to live in Wimbledon (my family and I lived there for a year when I was a kid- I went back for study abroad during uni, but that was in Maida Vale). As it happens, we're going back to London for a family vacation- we're getting there on the 24th of this month, so if you wanted to try and meet up somewhere or something (heck, and any other London JET types reading this), I'd definitely be up for it. Can't hurt to know someone in your city ahead of time, if you ask me, and I have a feeling I'll be haunting those EasyEverything internet places, hoping to hear from my pred. Yes, JET has made my life even more pathetic than it once was.

I'm in Group A, BTW, so while I guess I won't see you in Tokyo, I'm sure I'll see you around town! Very cool to know I'm not going to be the only JET in Miki. :D

cottamg
June 6th, 2004, 15:05
Hey! First of all, congrats on the upgrade- I bet it's a relief for that particular wait to be over. Secondly, I found that blog, too- I've been trying for almost a month now to get up the nerve to e-mail the guy, but I haven't quite gotten there yet. I'm getting more and more desperate for info, though, so it's probably only a matter of time before the desperation wins out over any concerns I have about being a stalker.

Nah,.... stalk away.... I managed to track down a JET in Yabu-shi where I'm going.. not my pred.. but put me in touch with other ppl in the area... and gave me lots of really cool advice, etc.... most JET's are excited to hear from you... most

Laura
June 6th, 2004, 18:25
Hehe. My stalking worked out fine in the end! :) Got a great email from that guy, turns out there's a high likelihood that you and I could be apartment-mates (although I assume we have our own little flats)! There are four female ALTs in our building: 2 American 1st years, 1 3rd year Kiwi to show us the ropes, and me! I'll forward you the email if you want it. Do you drive? Sounds like it would be useful for us to have cars, although Kobe is only a short train ride away.

As for meeting up in London, I could do that! Ooooh and my mum's family are from Wimbledon, so I know it quite well. In fact, if you go to one of the corners of the Common, there's a little bench in memory of my Grandad and Grandma! :) Anyway, my email address (a new one!) is laura_in_japan (at) hotmail dot com in case you want to contact me.

Looking forward to hearing from my Miki mate (ok, how cheesy does that sound?!)

Faustus
June 7th, 2004, 01:30
Hey, that is really cool- glad one of us had the gumption to go and bug him a little. This sounds like a pretty nice arrangement, actually- put the ALTs together, so at least we'll have some kind of a support system, which is a Good Thing. Someone on BD who has friends in Miki said that his understanding was that most people live in "teacher housing," so a block of apartments designed for teachers- I took that to mean we'll be living in the same block of flats, but each have our own. She also said that the rent was pretty cheap (or non-existent, but very low in any case), and that as of now, Miki JETs don't have to be at school when the kids aren't there, although that could change. Sounds like a pretty nice placement, in any case.

The general consensus also seems to be that we're probably JHS/elementary school JETs, because the Hyogo SHS folks don't know their towns yet, only that they're going to Hyogo. So I think this makes us municipal JETs, but I could be wrong.

And yep, I do drive- I'm planning to get my license changed over to an international license before I leave for Japan, so that won't be a problem. I've heard that a car might be a good idea as well- don't know what I'll do about it yet, but if we're really paying little or no rent, then I might use the money I spent on that to spring for a car and insurance. That or get in really good shape biking everywhere! :P

If you could forward the e-mail you got from the current Miki JET, that would be great. My e-mail's hawkeye_pierce909 (at) yahoo dot com. And we should definitely see if we can't meet up at a pub or something while I'm in London- if you've got any thoughts on that, let me know.

Very cool to find someone else headed to Miki!

cottamg
June 7th, 2004, 12:28
I found some more useful blogs. I'll add them to the weblinks.

Esp. spicygyoza.... it's got some good advice

cottamg
June 16th, 2004, 01:29
Okay,

to all ppl going to Miki :)

go and read this website. :)

http://www.stuartandpetra.com/

he's a JET that lived and worked in Miki :)

Enjoy

cottamg
June 17th, 2004, 16:48
and for the men interested in getting fit and in shape before going, I suggest you read this. :)

http://www.lap-band-surgery.org/obesity.cfm/40722050/Masturbation-diet

;)

Enjoy

Gareth

puppyguitar
July 2nd, 2004, 09:49
I've been placed in Nishinomiya-shi. As I posted elsewhere in this forum, please contact me if you're interested in the Kansai music scene (shows, record stores, etc.) I already know of a few good stores and venues in the area, but would like to have a few people around to do some more exploring with.

cottamg
July 2nd, 2004, 15:34
dude.. I'm your huckleberry.. :)

Going to music stuff sounds good to me!

Don't know how often though... as I'm in the country (inaka desu!!!) of Hyogo.

but I'll see you all at the Yashiro (prefectural) Orientation!

puppyguitar
July 2nd, 2004, 15:48
dude.. I'm your huckleberry.. :)

Going to music stuff sounds good to me!

Don't know how often though... as I'm in the country (inaka desu!!!) of Hyogo.

but I'll see you all at the Yashiro (prefectural) Orientation!

Hmm, well, let me know if you're ever in the city and in the mood for some shows. How far away are you from Osaka? I think I did a test and the farthest point (by train) from Osaka I could find in Hyogo was about 4 hours...

cottamg
July 2nd, 2004, 18:01
I'm in Oya-cho, Yabu-shi..... so I'm up in the mountains...(Tajima region).. and I think it's about 2-3 hours by train to get to Osaka... (less time for Kobe?

Bron
July 2nd, 2004, 18:34
Finally got an email from my pred!
Will be going to:

Shioya (suburb), in Ako City, which is in the South-West of Hyogo.
35min train to Himeji, 1.5hrs to Kobe

Housing: Teacher's apartments (block of 8 ). small 2-story apartment, and apparently I need to be 'taught how to use the shower'.... baha how funny is that!
Rent~ 11000yen/month & no key money.

School: Ako SHS (20min bike ride)
There are 2 other JETS in AKo, both from Perth also!

cottamg
July 2nd, 2004, 19:30
Finally got an email from my pred!
Will be going to:

Shioya (suburb), in Ako City, which is in the South-West of Hyogo.
35min train to Himeji, 1.5hrs to Kobe

Housing: Teacher's apartments (block of 8 ). small 2-story apartment, and apparently I need to be 'taught how to use the shower'.... baha how funny is that!
Rent~ 11000yen/month & no key money.

School: Ako SHS (20min bike ride)
There are 2 other JETS in AKo, both from Perth also!

Yay Bron!!! Congrats! I'm sure you'll have heaps of fun!

professor_chimpenstein
July 2nd, 2004, 20:38
I am in Honjo in Osaka Shi.

I keep getting confused between Honjo and Hyogo

Are they close to each other?

cottamg
July 2nd, 2004, 21:29
I am in Honjo in Osaka Shi.

I keep getting confused between Honjo and Hyogo

Are they close to each other?

Are you serious?.. Osaka is practically on the border of Hyogo. :)

professor_chimpenstein
July 2nd, 2004, 23:31
woo hoo!

Hello neighbour type peeps!

I dont feel so guilty for posting in your hyogo thread now