PDA

View Full Version : Iwate Prefecture

Cornelius
May 26th, 2004, 20:14
The letter has just arrived.

Let's see....

Iwate prefecture.

Group A, no less.

Anybody know anything about this prefecture?

C.

yabighoor
May 27th, 2004, 01:09
Hey there, looks like I'm going there too. Found a website http://www.pref.iwate.jp/english/index_e.html the place is kind of pretty and is the biggest prefecture in Japan no doubt!! Check out the governor...he's a hottie!!!!

Ciara :D

yabighoor
May 27th, 2004, 01:10
PS group B. Will I see you at orientation in Edinburgh?

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 01:14
Hey there, looks like I'm going there too. Found a website http://www.pref.iwate.jp/english/index_e.html the place is kind of pretty and is the biggest prefecture in Japan no doubt!! Check out the governor...he's a hottie!!!!

Ciara :D

Yeah, I've been trawling through that website. That, along with a couple of books I have, makes me think we are onto a good thing...

If I find any links of value, I'll post them up here.

C.

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 01:15
PS group B. Will I see you at orientation in Edinburgh?

Alas and alack, no. I'll be having my Clockwork Orange moment in London (Group A).

yabighoor
May 28th, 2004, 18:32
Hey by the looks of it there's only us two going to Iwate. Want to learn to snowboard?

Ciara

Cornelius
May 28th, 2004, 19:39
Hey by the looks of it there's only us two going to Iwate. Want to learn to snowboard?

Ciara

Sure, sounds like fun :) I've done skiing before, so if they have that, it might be easier for me (pictures me on a snowboard looking happy, followed by me in the snow looking as if I've broken my arse).

I am surprised though that there is only the two of us. I'd have thought there would be more people. Perhaps there are, but they haven't signed onto the board yet.

C.

Cornelius
May 29th, 2004, 17:53
I haven't received any additional info about where in Iwate I'll be going. From what I understand it may take a wee while for that to trickle through.

In the meantime, here's something that we can use to get a little bit more info about the place:

http://www.iwatejet.org/

Ciara, was Iwate your first choice?

yabighoor
May 29th, 2004, 23:01
Hey cheers Cornelius, looks like a pretty cool website. A bit more fun than the official prefecture list. Glad that your up for the snowboarding. I once fell facedown half a mountain in Aviemore. I'm still waitng to heal :lol: . I didn't mind where in Japan i was set to go as long as it's Japan. Had some nightmares that i was sent to okinawa and i was the only jet on the whole island. I later found out that it was a military base for americans. Don't know which one is worse!!!

Was iwate your first choice?

Cornelius
May 29th, 2004, 23:51
Iwate wasn't my first choice - Hokkaido was. That said, the more I read up on Iwate, the more I realise that my interviewers had been paying a lot of attention when I described the kind of place I would like to go to. Iwate seems to fit the bill.

I've trawled through the website and signed up to the mailing list, in the hopes that there may be some additional info available.

I've been skiiing in Aviemore (I'm Scottish, btw. Born in Inverness, now living in Belfast). It was several years ago though. I enjoy skiing, but if I seem to remember it starts out with the enjoying oneself and the scenery, before it abruptly turns into a huge adrenaline rush as you try not to fall of a cliff-edge, followed by several minutes of coming to terms with your own mortality.

Gawd, I love it. Can't wait for the snow to start.

Colin.

yabighoor
June 1st, 2004, 02:02
Hey there Colin, I'm originally from Belfast and now living in Edinburgh so there you go. I know about the skiing, adrenaline and then you crash into a snow drift!!!

Iwate looks lovely and I've signed up to the mailing list myself so hopefully I'll find something useful on it. Cheers for the link.

Ciara

root-2
June 3rd, 2004, 04:56
You're not the only two going to Iwate. :D

I just found out my placement this morning and found this page as part of my research on where I'm going to be spending my time in Japan. I'll be living in a city of about 63,000 named Ichinoseki. I was hoping to go someplace a little more southern since I've lived through enough Canadian winters that I don't feel any pressing need to experience Japanese snow, but after researching a little, Iwate is starting to look rather nice.

Looking forward to exploring!

Cornelius
June 3rd, 2004, 05:21
You're not the only two going to Iwate. :D

I just found out my placement this morning and found this page as part of my research on where I'm going to be spending my time in Japan. I'll be living in a city of about 63,000 named Ichinoseki. I was hoping to go someplace a little more southern since I've lived through enough Canadian winters that I don't feel any pressing need to experience Japanese snow, but after researching a little, Iwate is starting to look rather nice.

Looking forward to exploring!

And then there were three!

Welcome aboard root-2.

If you've found out your placement this morning, that may bode well for us - we have still to get exact details on where in Iwate we are going.

From my research of Iwate, it looks to be a great place, although I haven't gone into reading about the towns and whatnot in any detail, as I'm saving that for when I get the final placement info.

Anyhow, welcome to the group!

C.

yabighoor
June 3rd, 2004, 20:52
Ditto for me.

I've met another girl called Yolanda who's going to Iwate as well, so could there be more than 4??? I think so!!

I can't wait, my flatmates hate Japan now!!!

root-2
June 4th, 2004, 00:33
According to this thread (http://bigdaikon.lunarpages.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=33134&highlight=) over at bigdaikon.com, there are supposedly 120 or so JETs in Iwate. I guess they're not perusing these boards just now...

Cornelius
June 7th, 2004, 21:27
More postal goodness has come my way.

Last night I got the CLAIR pack about Iwate, along with a language learning pack (a quick look suggests that it's rather basic in terms of content. That said, the aim of the pack is to provide survival Japanese, and no more).

Today, from Japan, I received a pack from the Iwate Board of Education. This basically consists of the following:

- Letter giving the notice of appointment
- Terms and Conditions
- Pre-departure handbook
- Brochures.

From reading the letter, I am to be a prefectural JET (I'm paid/managed by the BoE, not the school/town).

No exact placement info though. That is still forthcoming.

So, anyone received anything similar?

C.

yabighoor
June 7th, 2004, 22:27
Colin, I want to find out... GOD DAMN!!! I'm getting so impatient!! What exactly does a prefectural Jet do. Are we based in the country and travelling to a few schools?

Cornelius
June 7th, 2004, 23:38
Hiya Ciara,

A Prefectural JET is essentially the same as a Municipal JET - the only real difference is who we ultimately report to, and who pays for us.

A municipal JET is paid by the school/city, and we report to the head of our base school. A prefectural JET is paid for by the Board of Education, and we report to them.

In terms of what we are classed as, it generally doesn't affect anything in regards to our ultimate location, and the number of schools we travel to.

Hope the above helps!

C.

Cornelius
June 8th, 2004, 00:11
Ciara,

I thought you might like to see this. I've taken this almost vertabim from one of the Iwate handbooks:

Municipal Tasks/Location
- Teach at local elementary schools, or at local junior high schools and perhaps occasionally visit some local elementary schools and kindergartens.
- Serve more of the local community, not only the school-age population. For example, teaching adult conversation classes.
- Assist with work similar to that of a CIR

Prefectural Location
- A base school exclusively where the ALT is present five days a week, usually a senior high school
- A base school with regular visit schools, usually senior high schools
- Regional Education Center (Kyoiku Jimusho) where the ALT is present one day a week and from which they are sent to visit schools on the four remaining days, usually junior high schools.

In other words, while both are teaching gigs, the municipal seems to assume that you will have multiple schools, while the prefectural will either be the same, or it will go to one of two extremes - working in the same school, or being spread out amongst countless schools. The key difference on the municipal side - that of doing CIR work - revolves around working on international projects carried out by local government (editing and translating), and working with local private groups.

C.

yabighoor
June 8th, 2004, 01:19
Cheers man!

I go home from work in 10 so hopefully there'll be a letter for me then.

Prefectural Jet sounds Ok although I was hoping to work with little kids.