PDA

View Full Version : Applying this year - few questions

Jane
September 27th, 2005, 01:30
Hello hello

I'm going to apply to JET this year but i'm already serious worried (yes i know i shouldn't be but i really want to go with JET and so stress that i won't get to do it)
My main question is how do they treat medical problems? I wasn't worried about this until i read the FAQ on the UK JET pages which mentions declaring depression. Now i have suffered from depression for a around 2-3 years - i hit around my 2nd year of uni and i only just came of my medication 4months ago. I'm worried that they'll take this as a sign i can't cope. To what degree do you think they will hold it against me?

And the second one is my essay - i have done one but it's pretty much a big pile of poo any pointers?

Thank you
Jane

dobharrison
September 27th, 2005, 11:06
I wouldn't worry about your depression counting against you; there are people on JET with long-term medical conditions who cope fine. Maybe you just shouldn't mention it.

On the other hand, have a good think about if JET will be a good thing for you to do. Being a JET means (usually) there are many periods of feeling completely isolated and alone. This is normal culture shock with the addition of the average JET's rural placement. Some JETs find the loneliness very difficult to deal with, so if you have a history of depression I would think very carefully if it's really a good idea.

Ini
September 27th, 2005, 11:36
Now i have suffered from depression for a around 2-3 years - i hit around my 2nd year of uni and i only just came of my medication 4months ago.

So you are a pill popping suicide risk? Yeah maybe not mention that if you want the job. If you get in let us know, We can take bets on how long it takes for you to top yourself

adammoogle
September 27th, 2005, 13:02
So you are a pill popping suicide risk? Yeah maybe not mention that if you want the job. If you get in let us know, We can take bets on how long it takes for you to top yourself

:-D :lol: :lol: :lol: ahem...thats not funny! :x

but like dob said, think about it alot before you commit. you might get a great placement with wonderful students, a great jte, supervisor who can't do enough for you, or you might end up in a town of 300 people who watch your every move, unresponsive students, a joke for a jte and no jet within a 2 hour drive...

make sure your job isn't a big part of your life cos this one blows at times, and i don't know about other areas but here in tottori when winter comes everyone seems to hibernate and u can go weeks without having a decent knees up or even see a foreignor...that can be pretty tough if your a people person or whatever.

and according to the jet psyciatrist guy (sorry for the spelling) every year someone does kill themselves or goes home early thinking the tv is spying on them. just make sure thats not you!

Hannah
September 27th, 2005, 13:17
My TV is spying on me.... :smt009

But I think you can apply to bring a year's worth of medication with you, so if you need antidepressants then bring em with you... simple.

Ini
September 27th, 2005, 13:32
mine was too but they decided my life was too boring so the NHK man came and swapped it for a normal one

angry_professor
September 27th, 2005, 14:54
Jane -

In just 2 posts you've let on to a history of mental instability as well as issues with lack of confidence.

I don't recommend taking a potentially extremely stressful life situation/job like JET to a person of your character. Seriously.

dobharrison
September 27th, 2005, 15:33
Anti-depressants are available in Japan but are not quite as strong as the American versions. My friend knows a lot about mental health in Japan (particularly depression and treatment) so I could find out more info if you like.

The problem with JET, as has been mentioned, is that it all depends on your placement. You might be in a cool city with a good social life and job or in the middle of nowhere with a school that hates you.

Of course, if things got too bad you could always leave! If you feel that being on JET would be worthwhile, then just go for it.

EDIT: I wouldn't mention your depression during your application, though.

Fyrey
September 27th, 2005, 15:38
Jane -

In just 2 posts you've let on to a history of mental instability as well as issues with lack of confidence.

I don't recommend taking a potentially extremely stressful life situation/job like JET to a person of your character. Seriously.

He doesn't call himself a prof. for nothing.

Seriously, if you have issues in an environment that you totally understand and grew up with, then I'm not sure you're going to like the JET experience. Out of curiosity, what is it about JET that attracts you?

On the other hand there is.....

http://www.angelfire.com/freak2/selfharmjet/main.html

angry_professor
September 27th, 2005, 16:19
Yeah, I would go so far as to say that the #1 thing that JET is concerned with in its prospective hires is that they will be able to have a great time in Japan . Given bad conditions or random events here, this is of course not always possible, but if you already suffer from depression, putting yourself in a new and unstable environment is not going to facilitate you enjoying yourself, especially if you were already having trouble before the extra problems of living in a foreign culture were thrown at you. For your own well being I recommend really giving this another think-over.

dobharrison
September 27th, 2005, 17:39
It's not as simple as that, I think. Being in a foreign culture doesn't necessarily mean it will be worse or harder to deal with. It may even be a good idea to be away from a familiar environment for a while.

Ini
September 27th, 2005, 17:49
being surrounded by fat moaning yanks and skinny untrustworthy japs is never good for anyones mental health

dobharrison
September 27th, 2005, 17:51
Maybe if you're depressed already it would just make you happy! Kinda like going full circle.

Ini
September 27th, 2005, 17:55
in that case i need to ship some frenchies and krouts over and my depression will be cured

Doomer
September 27th, 2005, 17:59
in that case i need to ship some frenchies and krouts over and my depression will be cured

watching those 2 duke it out would be entertaining...

Ini
September 27th, 2005, 18:01
not a history graduate then are you

solacegirl
September 27th, 2005, 20:25
Jane - think about this..if your depression resurfaces in Japan you will probably be prescribed a whole load of dodgy drugs by the local quack, if you're relying on big conglomerate chemicals you can request those through the quack too -they have a surprisingly large database here. But its not so much people that have had depression that have surprised me here in Japan but people who have fallen victim to it whilst here. I've heard stories of people going bi-polar, having nervous breakdowns, men becoming bulimic and having to go home (I shit you not). Not wanting to put you off or anything but JET is a serious lifestyle change (moreso than a gambling degree at Mosside Poly) think carefully about it.

Doomer
September 27th, 2005, 21:48
not a history graduate then are you

No im not...but i always love watching the french get torn apart somehow...

Jane
September 28th, 2005, 01:05
Jane -

umm...thanks for all the 'helpful' comments. For those who don't pay attention i'm off medication (they are physically addictive, they take a while to come off) , i also have no history of self harming and you have to mention all aspects of medical history on your appication - i'm not going to lie then get caught out
Also you kinda all seem to make me realise just how little people understand about mental health problems
FYI it wasn't stress or new enviroments that gave me depression but other more personal things i'd rather not mention. I'm fully able of dealing with stress and difficult places. If JET was something i didn't think i could cope with i wouldn't go.

I just wanted an opinion on how you think it would affect my chances not a list of messages saying give up now. But thanks to a few of you how did try to help.

Ini
September 28th, 2005, 05:41
Do it, do it, what you got to live for anyway? Jump!jump!jump!

angry_professor
September 28th, 2005, 08:41
Exactly

dobharrison
September 28th, 2005, 09:00
I'm sure you'll be fine then, Jane. As regards the responses here, without going into a lot of detail in your original post people are obviously going to assume all kinds of things.

I still wouldn't mention depression on your application form, though, but some people may disagree with that. To counter-balance, mental health treatment in Japan (in the big cities, at least) isn't as medieval as people imagine, although some psychiatrists still rely on Freudian methodology. Therefore, as long as you're masturbating healthily there'll be no problems.

Auburn
September 28th, 2005, 09:08
Jane -

Depression doesn't mean mental instability... it is a physical illness, professor.

Jane, I think that as long as you know it is going to be stressful when you enter into the job, I can't see why it should be any more of a problem for you than anyone else. In fact, you might be able to turn it into an advantage. If you went through counseling as well as taking meds, you can stress the coping skills you learned, etc. JET stresses the ability to cope with difficult situations as being very important.

That being said, it's hard to predict what the selection will or will not do with your application. Some of the people here are strange, strange creatures...

angry_professor
September 28th, 2005, 10:09
Depression doesn't mean mental instability... it is a physical illness, professor.

Yeah you're right... depression's nothing that an aspirin and a day under the covers can't fix; the kind of good decision making one might expect from the rock-solid temperments of a person off their diet of Zoloft.

Next time I read about someone who took a frisky bath with their silverware in the tub, I'll just blame it on their lack of chicken soup and a good nights sleep.

Ini
September 28th, 2005, 13:28
my mum always said theres nothing that cant be cured by a hot cup of tea and a early night. She later died of septicemia after refusing treatment for a gunshot wound to the leg.

solacegirl
September 28th, 2005, 15:04

How? you're so sad you can't walk??
the nazis won't allow you to get depressed, you'd have to use up your nenkyu and then...and then...well I guess you'd have to bugger off home cos they'd throw you off the programme anyway for lying in bed all day.

Hannah
September 28th, 2005, 16:41
Call the nice lady at the JET office in London. (Japanese embassy) and ask her advice.

To get on the program your doctor has to fill out a medical form deeming you suitably healthy. If he/she thought your depression would hider your time in Japan then he/she wouldn't sign it (maybe).

Anyway, I think you would be fine. I really don't know all that much about treatment available in Japan other than xrays and antibiotics but I do think they are wee bit antiquated so it is worth bringing familiar medication from home (should you need it).

Seek advice from the embassy and decide that way if it is worth mentioning. I am inclined to say mention everything cos if it may backfire if you don't.

Good luck Jane!

Ini
September 29th, 2005, 06:08
Yep, I forgot to mention i'd served 6 months for child abuse and when they found about it they were not to happy.

Doomer
September 29th, 2005, 08:39
And the second one is my essay - i have done one but it's pretty much a big pile of poo any pointers?

There are 2 essays availible for downloading in the downloads section...

Cynthia
September 29th, 2005, 15:56
Here's my two cents, Jane.

I would list your treatment for depression under your medical history. I am in agreement with you that it is better to be up front about these sorts of things, rather than have them be found out later. In fact, you may want to bring it up in the essay. Can you think of any ways in which your experience with depression would actually HELP you to deal with stresses here in Japan? You are off drugs, so maybe you learned a few coping mechanisms. Your reasons for depression were obviously very personal, but perhaps in your essay you could talk about them briefly and show why the same things wouldn't be a factor here. Of course, at the same time you don't want to make it seem like you are using the JET Program to get away from any lingering issues. However, I think a properly balanced essay could actually do you some good. The JET Program wants people who proved they can handle adapting to strange/difficult situations. If you've done it, then talk about it. IMHO.

Good luck!

quasarsglow
September 29th, 2005, 17:34
And two more yen from the peanut gallery:

Jane, it's an application. Fill it out and do your best with the essay, if you want me to proof it, send me a PM. I spent four years working as a newspaper copyeditor, and I'd be happy to give you a hand and look for things that spellcheck might have missed.

List your medical history. I personally wouldn't bother adding anything about your depression in your essay, as in my mind that would say "DWELL ON THIS IMPERFECTION PLEASE."

If you get an interview, they'll probably ask you about anything they think could possibly be at odds with the chances of you being shipped back home happy and healthy rather than in a too-short and too-skinny pine box. From what I can tell, the med form is to ensure that you don't drop dead on them.

They're pretty pragmatic. Just, tell them why you're best for the job and they'll have you singing your interview responses or dancing a jig while teaching the ABCs in no time.

liquidindian
September 29th, 2005, 22:50
Jane,

You're in a similar situation to my own last year. Have suffered depression, now off the happy pills, want to apply for JET. I'm now here, and I'm having a good time. Stressful at times, but mostly in a good way. I'm still a wee bit worried about the winter, but I'm fairlt confident I'll be okay. It comes down to this: if you think you can do it, then do it. A bit Chicken Soup For The Soul, but there you go. If anything, it's a positive step in a new direction, which is good for the depressive stuck in a rut feeling.

Jane
September 30th, 2005, 00:56
:) thank you for the posts

I am going to write about my depression on my application/medical form cause i have to i don't want to get in then be chucked out for lying on it that would suck! there is a space to fill in about things like that and explain which is good :) i think i will pay up the i have skills to cope now angle thou!
I have an apointment with my doc tommorow to get him to write them a nice letter saying that he thinks i'll cope - beyond that all i can do is apply and hope that it'll be ok :D

on and on a side note depression is a mental and physical illness, caused by the imbalance of chemicals in the brain that then affects your mental state. I wouldn't say it was a mental instability think thats probably more like schizophenia or things like that :D

rotkopf
September 30th, 2005, 14:47
:)
on and on a side note depression is a mental and physical illness, caused by the imbalance of chemicals in the brain that then affects your mental state. I wouldn't say it was a mental instability think thats probably more like schizophenia or things like that :D

Schizophrenia is also caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. In fact, deep depressions can sometimes mimic the paranoia found in schizophrenia. As someone with a mental illness who wants others to be sympathetic to yours, I think it's pretty insensitive to imply that other sufferers are somehow mentally unstable. They may suffer something more severe than clinical depression, but they're not freaks of nature or anything like that.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat you're in, so I wish you the best of luck with handling this in your application. Obviously, it's not the easiest thing to know how to approach.

angry_professor
September 30th, 2005, 15:52
What a bunch of sappy crap. Everbody has their ups and downs, some worse than others, but if you can't suck it up and beat that shit without pills I wouldn't want you near me or my kids. And trying to claim that depressed people are stable mentally is simply retardate logic. Go choke on some norepinephrine you kooks.

rotkopf
September 30th, 2005, 15:59
What a bunch of sappy crap. Everbody has their ups and downs, some worse than others, but if you can't suck it up and beat that shit without pills I wouldn't want you near me or my kids. And trying to claim that depressed people are stable mentally is simply retardate logic. Go choke on some norepinephrine you kooks.

Generally, I find people who resort to making these kinds of vapid generalizations to be sad, pathetic little souls. Congrats on losing at life (http://www.fireuzer.com/yaai.htm).

Or wait--maybe you're a scientologist and you think all them eevul psychiatrists just made up the entire history of their profession? Tom Cruise 4 LIFE, right?

angry_professor
September 30th, 2005, 16:03
Generally, I find people who resort to making these kinds of vapid generalizations to be sad, pathetic little souls. Congrats on losing at life (http://www.fireuzer.com/yaai.htm).

Don't ever start an attempted critique of a person's generalizing with the words "Generally, I..."

Retardate logic... is a phrase worth repeating for you.

rotkopf
September 30th, 2005, 16:07
Don't ever start an attempted critique of a person's generalizing with the words "Generally, I..."

Retardate logic... is a phrase worth repeating for you.

*yawn*

liquidindian
September 30th, 2005, 16:25

How can you claim at the same time that "everyone has their ups and downs", and therefore, I assume, there is no such thing as depression, and then in your next sentence make the claim that depression equals mental instability?

I think you should consider your own logic. Possibly while at home on your own, weeping, crouched masturbating in a cupboard.

rotkopf
September 30th, 2005, 16:29
I think you should consider your own logic. Possibly while at home on your own, weeping, crouched masturbating in a cupboard.

This comment achieved Genius Levels. Congratulations.

dobharrison
September 30th, 2005, 16:43
I'm with the depressives on this one, Prof. Depression isn't simply 'feeling down', it's a lot more serious than that.

angry_professor
September 30th, 2005, 16:59
How can you claim at the same time that "everyone has their ups and downs", and therefore, I assume, there is no such thing as depression, and then in your next sentence make the claim that depression equals mental instability?

Now here I would drag out that cliche about assuming things... But this time it's just you that's the ass.

liquidindian
September 30th, 2005, 17:19
Right, so my assumption was wrong? Your opinion is that depression is a medical condition? Would you tell those suffering from other complaints to just deal with it?

I would like an answer, not just a half-arsed attack on one of the words in my post.

Ko-neko
September 30th, 2005, 17:40
But half arsed attacks are so much fun.

Ok, I used to work for a charity for mentally ill people.

The low down is it is a horribly confusing group of illnesses that are frequently misunderstood and hard to diagnose and treat.

Depression is something that seems to be caused by an imbalance. however, it is hard to tell sometimes if someone is ill or just a slack bastard using the illness as an excuse. I have a friend who has done both.

Not all depressed people are suicidal! Some manage their illness better than others, and some have it worse than others. Same as any other illness.

There are other kinds of mental illness such as bi-polar, schizophrenia, multiple personality... all of which come with their own challenges and sometimes blend into each other.

Depending on the severity, this kind of illness destroys people's lives and the lives of their families through a combination of lack of understanding and support (from government and community) and from the symptoms themselves.

If you have an illness of this kind, do be careful before coming as it is a very different place and will challenge you in many ways. But if you think you will be ok, and have learned coping mechanisms for dealing with your illness, then there is no more reason not to apply than someone with another kind of illness or disability. It's up to you and how you can convince the JET people.

Well, that's my two cents.

So nur.

KN

angry_professor
September 30th, 2005, 17:59
Thanks KN.

And speaking of the likelyhood of the retardedly-abled to get into JET, there was a sweaty cross-eyed albino at my interview slot who didn't make it. Drop out of the race before you lose any more dignity, you wrist cutting dweebs!

rotkopf
October 1st, 2005, 00:13
If you have an illness of this kind, do be careful before coming as it is a very different place and will challenge you in many ways. But if you think you will be ok, and have learned coping mechanisms for dealing with your illness, then there is no more reason not to apply than someone with another kind of illness or disability. It's up to you and how you can convince the JET people.

Thanks for the advice and for being such an empathetic person. I do realize that it is important to be careful with yourself if you've had problems of this kind, and please know that I have evaluated this in myself before I decided I'd like to do JET. There comes a time in any illness where you move on and learn to cope with life in spite of your disability. I just don't want the past (and the prejudices of cretins, which as you can see still run rampant) to deny me, or anyone else, that opportunity.

rotkopf
October 1st, 2005, 00:16
I would like an answer, not just a half-arsed attack on one of the words in my post.

Someone who is backed into a corner will always resort to semantics as a last-ditch effort to win an argument.

Ini
October 1st, 2005, 00:44
heres a idea - lets all drink a bottle of absolute - first guy to slit their wrist loses

I win

Jane
October 1st, 2005, 01:31
[quote=Jane]:)
I think it's pretty insensitive to imply that other sufferers are somehow mentally unstable. They may suffer something more severe than clinical depression, but they're not freaks of nature or anything like that.

i didn't mean to be insensitive, i know a schiopheric and he is pretty unstable metally - hence where my opionion came from. so sorry bout that, i'm all for better understanding of mental illness so feel free to correct me

Ini
October 1st, 2005, 01:36
I know the cookie monster

remember kids - say no to hobnobs.............................But its soooo hard

rotkopf
October 1st, 2005, 09:08
i didn't mean to be insensitive, i know a schiopheric and he is pretty unstable metally - hence where my opionion came from. so sorry bout that, i'm all for better understanding of mental illness so feel free to correct me

Yeah, I think I misstated what I was meaning to say. I suppose all mental illnesses make your mind unstable to a point, right? No matter.