PDA

View Full Version : Appliaction Form: Teaching Experience

Purge
September 30th, 2005, 02:53
Hey,

I'm a bit confuzzled on the teaching experience section of the application form. I have no classroom experience (might see if i can volunteer somewhere for a bit...) but i was thinking of putting a few things in the 'other teaching experience' section.

1. I've informally helped a few people with grammar etc on a lot of their essays. Can i put this down?
2. I was responsible for training new staff at a former job, everything from how to do the job to health and safety law. Can i put this down?

If i can put these things down (i don't want to leave them blank...need the points!) the how do i do it, seeing as you have to fill in a box which asks you for the institution you taught at, the subject/course, grade/level, Dates and hours per week...i could understand this box on the formal teaching section, not on th e'other teaching section'.

Sorry if i seem dense, i just need to get this right and really really don't want to leave it blank!

Thanks

Ini
September 30th, 2005, 05:46
i just need to get this right

Easy there Susan, nothing puts interviewers off more than the stench of desperation. These boards are littered with tales of people who started off going "Oh my god I have to get accepted, I’ve been waiting to join the JET program since I was 8 years old and this is the only thing that matters in my life" and then when they get rejected make the fatal mistake of going "How did this happen? What can I do next year to get accepted what if I marry a Japanese person and phone the embassy every day to ask them questions?"

The fact that you wrote your essay before the form even came out is a bad sign and you have at least 2 months to send it in - go have a pint, stop being a whiny pussy and just fill the form in as best you can. If you're not a complete fucktard you should get in no problem.

If not you, bigredgoofball, tomb, that crazy bitch who insisted the whole program was racist and the rest of the rejects could start your own jet program - that'll show em a thing or two

Cynthia
September 30th, 2005, 07:24
i just need to get this right

Easy there Susan, nothing puts interviewers off more than the stench of desperation. These boards are littered with tales of people who started off going "Oh my god I have to get accepted, I’ve been waiting to join the JET program since I was 8 years old and this is the only thing that matters in my life" and then when they get rejected make the fatal mistake of going "How did this happen? What can I do next year to get accepted what if I marry a Japanese person and phone the embassy every day to ask them questions?"

The fact that you wrote your essay before the form even came out is a bad sign and you have at least 2 months to send it in - go have a pint, stop being a whiny pussy and just fill the form in as best you can. If you're not a complete fucktard you should get in no problem.

If not you, bigredgoofball, tomb, that crazy bitch who insisted the whole program was racist and the rest of the rejects could start your own jet program - that'll show em a thing or two

I couldn't have said it better myself, Ini.

Shotokai
September 30th, 2005, 08:46
whilst teaching experience is helpful, don't worry if you don't have too much. it's not vital as most of the job you'll learn very quickly.
maybe try and volunteer at a local school as a classroom assistant that's what i did. but do it for you, not as a means to get on the jet programme. life does exist outside of this programme, prepare for the bigger picture.

Sam
September 30th, 2005, 10:09
" - go have a pint"

Best advice so far... relax... can't stress that enough. Just chill, be creative, but not zany and stupid. Mention the piece about you instructing people at your place of employment, dress it up a little, but still keep it vague.

dobharrison
September 30th, 2005, 10:53
This is why we like having Ini around - he does sometimes give the best advice!

Ini
September 30th, 2005, 13:35
I'm like yoda except I'm not a midget and I dont live in a hovel in a swamp........Ok I'm like yoda but I'm not a midget

Ko-neko
September 30th, 2005, 13:42
This is why we like having Ini around - he does sometimes give the best advice!

Assuming you can dodge the flying spittle and venom.

I must conceed that sounding desperate would be bad. Just be honest. I said, I have a small amount of teaching experience running belly dancing and martial arts classes (not together, no jewel encrusted, scarf waving, belly rolling, deadly ninjas here - sorry to ruin your fantasy Ini).

No actual teaching experience needed.

Frankly the program is less about the teaching - that is what the JTEs are for - and more about the internationalisation. ie, teaching the little nippers about big scary crazy Australians, Americans and those freaky Pommy bastards. Or whomever else joins.

KN

Purge
October 1st, 2005, 00:18
Sorry guys, i'm just panic-posting i guess...and being tired ain't helping much! (ah, excuses excuses...).

Still, i don't see how writing my essay early is bad. I'd call it preparation. It's not like i've been constantly working on it.

Yes, i realise the JET progrmme isn't the be-all-and-end-all of my life. I do have plans for if i don't make it onto the programme (prepared, see?). The JET programme is just what i'm aiming for at the moment.

Again, sorry for the retarded questions and panic-posts.

(Hey, look, no smileys...)

Ini
October 1st, 2005, 00:46
you knew there was a essay before the form came out? LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doomer
October 1st, 2005, 12:41
you knew there was a essay before the form came out? LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No im gonna disagree you ini and call him prepared...Good job for worrying about that now purge...later on youll be glad you at least started it earlier!!

merc
October 2nd, 2005, 04:20
Better to do it early than late. Mines half done, but I have a feeling I'll be writing more than one draft before late November.

iricat
October 2nd, 2005, 15:53
My friend last year (who is now on JET) put down work related training in that section. She trained people sometimes at the shoe store she worked at and was told she should put that kind of thing down.

But like other people said teaching experience isn't necessary. I had absolutely none (and no japanese language ability) and i've met other people on JET who had the same as me and still got here. Good luck!

Doomer
October 4th, 2005, 08:29
The closest things I had to teaching experience were my time spent talking to my conversation partners and my tenure as an FTO (Field Training Officer) at my old job...dont worry....the teaching in the JET title is a little misleading...we are here more to internationalize than teach....the JTEs teach!!

Ko-neko
October 4th, 2005, 12:27
I do need to say though, that although the vast majority of ALTs seem to have very little to do with the actual teaching process, I seem to be an exception. I plan a lot of our lessons (with the teachers assistance) and I actually get to write half of the tests too! Kind of a scary thing for someone who has no damned clue!

So be prepared for anything, from bugger all to lots of work and teaching action.

KN

angry_professor
October 4th, 2005, 12:42
And rainbows and pancakes and balloons filled with fine Alaskan saltwater taffy.

Doomer
October 4th, 2005, 12:47
And rainbows and pancakes and balloons filled with fine Alaskan saltwater taffy.

Alaska makes fine saltwater taffy...i must procure some of this taffy and judge it for myself!!!