PDA

View Full Version : Are you still happy/unhappy with your placement?

rotkopf
October 5th, 2005, 03:22
I saw an awesome thread here where everyone had announced their placements and posted good and bad things they'd found out about them. Some people were really psyched and others seemed horribly depressed about the areas they were headed to.

Along those lines, how do you feel about your placement now that you're past the initial shock phase? If you didn't get what you asked for, have things turned out okay so far anyway? If you did, is the place you wanted everything you thought it would be?

Doomer
October 5th, 2005, 08:04
Got placed exactly where i wanted to be placed!!! Loved it when I got here and still love it now!!! :lol:

Ko-neko
October 5th, 2005, 08:15
Mine is pretty decent. Good min range location. Great staff to work with and supervisor.

My only bad is I am busier than I wanted. something other JETS would be jealous of.

C'est la vie.

KN

rotkopf
October 5th, 2005, 09:18
Got placed exactly where i wanted to be placed!!! Loved it when I got here and still love it now!!! :lol:

Ah, so that's why you're such a cheerful fellow. :^_^:

Auburn
October 5th, 2005, 09:34
Good question...

When I got my placement and googled the name of my town, I was really worried when the "no results found" page came up. My predecessor was no help either, as it was clear she just wanted to go home and not think or talk about Japan at all. So, yes, there was a little (lot) of anxiety.

I am on an island (luckily, it is close enough to the main part of Kyushu to have a bridge). It is a tiny town, and at first I hated it. A lot. Now, its turning out to be ok, there isn't much to do, but it's just a short trip to a city, so thats ok.

Also, at first, I though there was no one here who could speak English, but now they seem to be crawling out of the woodwork every time I turn around.

Now, if only my supervisor could suddenly manifest an ability to speak English, things would be excellent!

Doomer
October 5th, 2005, 09:50

Ah, so that's why you're such a cheerful fellow. :^_^:

Yeah...im in the inaka...which is where i wanted to be....i can practice my japanese often and im only 1 1/2 hrs from my gf close enough to see her often and far enough for her to come over on multiple days...im also only 2 hrs from Kyoto and have the coolest supervisor on earth with teachers who have all gone out of their way to make me feel welcome!!! I really love it here!!

Sam
October 5th, 2005, 09:52
I'm way up in the boonies, but have a good bunch of people around me. I like it.

Ini
October 5th, 2005, 12:17
My placement is hell on earth. I thought it suposed to be japan, looks more like bloody china with all these yellow fuckers scutterling around eating with sticks and writing with little pictures.

Everywhere apart from Ginza is a dump that is far to "ethnic" for my tastes.

Seems the post deleting fairy is out again, what a utter cunt.

rotkopf
October 5th, 2005, 12:30
My placement is hell on earth. I thought it suposed to be japan, looks more like bloody china with all these yellow fuckers scutterling around eating with sticks and writing with little pictures.

I doubt this one will last long if that's the case.

EDIT: Did you request hell on earth?

Doomer
October 5th, 2005, 12:32

This is nothing...Im sure this one will stay up rotkopf

Ini
October 5th, 2005, 12:58
It will remain firm, like doomers allegiance to North Korea and its human rights atrocities.

VOTE KAMOZE 2005!!!!!!!!
the peoples moderator

Fyrey
October 5th, 2005, 13:15
I thought it suposed to be japan, looks more like bloody china

He would be proud.

Ini
October 5th, 2005, 14:22
with every passing day my love for him grows and my hatred for you festers

Dynamis
October 5th, 2005, 15:26
Sorry ini, its just that the delete button is right next to the IP check button. I was doing my daily check that your IP is different to Okinawa's and i had an involuntary wrist spasm as I clicked. It won't happen again... well, probably.. not to often at least....

Matt

Ini
October 5th, 2005, 15:31
IMO I'm "nothing" like "Okinawa"

I have him on Ignore anyway
:D :-D :) :-) :( :o 8O :? :P :x :lol: 8) :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :!: ;-) :wink: :roll: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :smt005 :smt004 :^_^: :mrgreen: :smt006 :smt007 :smt008 :smt009 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Doomer
October 5th, 2005, 15:34
IMO I'm "nothing" like "Okinawa"

I have him on Ignore anyway
:D :-D :) :-) :( :o 8O :? :P :x :lol: 8) :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :!: ;-) :wink: :roll: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :smt005 :smt004 :^_^: :mrgreen: :smt006 :smt007 :smt008 :smt009 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thats the first time ive ever seen him post a smiley.... :?

Ini
October 5th, 2005, 15:38
dont worry I'm currently slamming my genitals in a car door in penance. Unlike doomer who does it to war veterans for cheap laughs.

VOTE KAMOZE 2005!!!!
the peoples moderator

Cynthia
October 5th, 2005, 18:35
Back on topic, I like pretty much everything about my placement except for all of the traveling (I have 30 schools). I would prefer to just be in one or two schools like most JETs, but the upshot is that I'm not stuck in one school that I hate. I requested my prefecture and got close to the actual town I wanted, so that's cool. Mostly I'm just really enjoying myself. :^_^:

rotkopf
October 6th, 2005, 05:47
Back on topic, I like pretty much everything about my placement except for all of the traveling (I have 30 schools). I would prefer to just be in one or two schools like most JETs, but the upshot is that I'm not stuck in one school that I hate. I requested my prefecture and got close to the actual town I wanted, so that's cool. Mostly I'm just really enjoying myself. :^_^:

That's so good to hear! Your positivity makes me so hopeful that I'll get in and be able to have such a great experience.

I suppose you have to have a car, then? Or are you near trains?

merc
October 6th, 2005, 08:11

Where are you placed at?

merc
October 6th, 2005, 08:17
Never mind, i found it.

dobharrison
October 6th, 2005, 09:21
My placement rocks, but not everyone is lucky enough to live next to such a great city. Hiroshima City was also my second choice, so that made me doubly happy. Any problems / unhappiness I've had here have had nothing to do with my location or school.

Doomer
October 6th, 2005, 09:45
What was your 1st choicd Dob?

Ini
October 6th, 2005, 15:23
in my pants but that placement is filled by my gigantic balls

and tiny cock

Doomer
October 6th, 2005, 15:36
in my pants but that placement is filled by my gigantic balls

and tiny cock :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cynthia
October 6th, 2005, 16:51

That's so good to hear! Your positivity makes me so hopeful that I'll get in and be able to have such a great experience.

I suppose you have to have a car, then? Or are you near trains?

I am placed in Beppu-shi, in Oita-ken on the southern island of Kyushu. I work out of a regional education office which pimps me out to schools that are either too small or too cheap to have their own ALT. I am employed by Oita prefecture, but unlike most kencho (prefectural) JETs I work with elementary and junior high schools because of my base in the compulsory education office.

I do not have a car, partly because I am not allowed to use one for work and partly because I think they are kind of expensive here. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if I wasn't also supporting my husband on the same salary. It's definitely doable, but we just don't have as much play money as other JETs! Fortunately there is a fair amount of public transportation in my area. The train station is a 25 minute walk, but I'm starting to get used to all the exercise. :^_^: Everything's far from perfect, but, like I said before, I'm still having a lot of fun!

dobharrison
October 6th, 2005, 22:16
What was your 1st choicd Dob?

In IniKamoze's pants, but that was already filled by his gigantic testicles and tiny penis. I also scribbled in Kobe City next to it, so they chose to concentrate on that in my interview.

quasarsglow
October 6th, 2005, 23:11
I was an alternate and consequently got placed wherever the hell they decided to put me and I couldn't be happier.

I'm in Matsuyama-shi, Ehime-ken on Shikoku and it's really quite lovely. It doesn't hurt that I'm in the largest city on the island, which is quite a bit bigger than any city I've lived in (excluding my first time in Japan for study abroad).

I've got a never-ending supply of orange juice, bath towels and hot springs! I'm also a hop skip and a jump from the mainland by ferry, train, car or air all depending on how much time and money I want to spend getting around.

I think I requested Nara, Hiroshima and Kyoto, but my reasons for choosing those places was that I had lived in Osaka and visited all of them and found them really interesting and a nice change of pace from the OMGSUCHABIGFLASHYCITY feel of Osaka.

The JET gods were kind enough to put me right across the water from Hiroshima, so it's all good.