PDA

View Full Version : Hokkaido placements

Manshonyagger
May 27th, 2004, 00:13
It's official. I'm going to Hokkaido. Don't know where exactly yet. I'm in Group B, leaving the UK on the 31st of July.

Anyone else?
:)

NSboarderchic
May 27th, 2004, 02:17
I'm in the same boat as you! Well, but I'm in group A. Do you know when we're supposed to find out where we'll be?

Canuck
May 27th, 2004, 03:31
Hey guys, I'm headed to Hokkaido, too. (just got the letter yesterday, yay!) I hope we find out the specifics before too long!

NSBC, I'm in group A, also! Let's get a drink in Tokyo, ne? :D

By the way, did you guys request Hokkaido specifically? My first choice was Hakodate, so I hope I get somewhere near there!

~Amy

Manshonyagger
May 28th, 2004, 05:09
I hope we find out specifics soo, too. Hokkaido's kind of a big place...

Hokkaido was my first choice, but I can't remember if the UK application form gave us much of a choice as to where in Hokkaido we wanted to be. I'll have to go back and check my records...^^

And I've just noticed that I've left the o off the end on Hokkaido in the Topic Title for this thread. That is not a good sign. I'm going there, and I can't even spell the name of the place right. What hope is there for me?

Manshonyagger
May 28th, 2004, 06:19
Thank goodness for admins like me to fix it for you

Yes, they do have their uses... :wink:

Dulcinea
May 28th, 2004, 07:06
I'm going to hokkaido!!! It was my first placement choice. I kind of picked it out of thin air because I heard that putting down "no preference" counted against you on your application.

My CO is Atsuma-cho. I looked it up and found it's not SO far away from Sapporo or a couple other bigger cities and also somewhat close to a railroad. A slip of paper that mcame in my envelope said that "cho" means town and they have between 10,000 and 20,000 people there. I also heard that (through searching on the archives of BD) that MOST rural Hokkaido JETs get their rents COMPLETELY subsidized! Yeah! And they get a car complete with gas money!! I guess the buildings are also decently heated. Some other posters have reported that there are no Mukkades there. Another yeah!!!!

I really don't have much more info. My Lonely Planet guide doesn't mention my town.

NSboarderchic
May 28th, 2004, 08:39
Dulcinea-You know which town you'll be in? I thought no one else has heard specifics yet. I'm jealous :cry:

Canuck - Let's definitley go out for drinks in Tokyo! I guess we'll all be meeting at the prefectural meetings, right? I'm so excited!

Paper
May 28th, 2004, 12:21
First of all, welcome to Hokkaido! It's a wonderfull place. If you like outdoors, you'll like it here.

My CO is Atsuma-cho. I looked it up and found it's not SO far away from Sapporo or a couple other bigger cities and also somewhat close to a railroad. A slip of paper that mcame in my envelope said that "cho" means town and they have between 10,000 and 20,000 people there. I also heard that (through searching on the archives of BD) that MOST rural Hokkaido JETs get their rents COMPLETELY subsidized! Yeah! And they get a car complete with gas money!! I guess the buildings are also decently heated. Some other posters have reported that there are no Mukkades there. Another yeah!!!!

I really don't have much more info. My Lonely Planet guide doesn't mention my town.

First of all, BD is wrong. I've never heard of anyone in Hokkaido getting a car with gas money from their BOE (That doesn't means it doesn't happen, it just means that it's no where near "standard"). A lot of people do get vehicles on their own though, and judging by your town, you may want one. Rent will most likely be mostly or completely subsidized.

Second, that slip of paper must be wrong. A town isn't between 10,000 and 20,000 people.. that's technically a city. Your town is 5,245 people. Assuming of course your town is http://www.town.atsuma.hokkaido.jp/ which it probably is. Browse that site or www.town.atsuma.hokkaido.jp translated (http://honyakuinfoseek.infoseek.co.jp/amiweb/browser.jsp?url=http%3A//www.town.atsuma.hokkaido.jp/&langpair=2,1&c_id=honyakuinfoseek〈=EN&toolbar=yes&display=3) for the translated one and you will find lots of information and pictures on your new town.

Unforunately, I don't see any train line near you. http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=42.43.13.7&el=141.52.54.8&la=1&fi=1&sc=4 although zooming out, I see there's one about 1/2 hours bike away from you. I'm willing to bet a beer that there is a bus that goes to that train stop/town. But who knows.. the town looks very very spread out according to http://dir.yahoo.co.jp/Regional/Japanese_Regions/Hokkaido/Cities/Atsuma/Outline/ which says 13 people per square km!

Grab the kanji for your town from any of those sites and start doing some searches. (厚真町) You will find a lot.. like the current weather http://www.mapion.co.jp/weather/admi/01/01581.html ! ooh, only 16 for a high today.. and .. ick.. lotsa rain tommorow.. I'll be looking forward to that (I like rain!)

Again, welcome to Hokkaido! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

(Edited for clarity)

Dulcinea
May 28th, 2004, 20:36
Paper--Thank you very much for all your help!!!!!!

I'm so happy to have someone hooking me up with information.

:D :P 8) :) :D :P :lol: :) :D :P :lol: :) :D :P :lol: :) :D :P :) :lol: :D :P :lol: :D :P :lol: :)

WabiSabi-san
June 10th, 2004, 21:20
Grats to all! Group B here & headed to Hokkaido as well. Lucked out & got some little hamlet called Sapporo. :twisted:

Manshonyagger
June 11th, 2004, 01:19
I've just found out that I'm Prefectural.

If you haven't heard anything yet, then there's a good chance you're one of the other 20 Prefectural JETS. According to the email I got today from the Hokkaido Prefectural Advisor, they should hopefully have the list of where we're all going on Monday.

Endeavour to persevere... :)

power_rose
June 11th, 2004, 14:34
Wow, cool, does that mean you're going to be in Sapporo? Its an Irish monopoly on that place....

NSboarderchic
June 11th, 2004, 15:45
I found out today I'm going to Rumoi. It's 30,000 people, so bigger than the town I'm in now, but smaller than the on I grew up in.
Anyone else near me?

btw, thanks for looking out for me Powerrose!

-Karen

power_rose
June 11th, 2004, 16:04
Hi Karen! Last I heard it was a married Canadian heading for Rumoi, is that you? You have one of the best neighbors ever, her name is Ping and she's a good friend of mine as well as one of the nicest people on the island. Email me for her address, if you want. I'm so excited for you (even though you are one of the furthest points away from me:()

Rose

NSboarderchic
June 11th, 2004, 16:45
No, I'm a single American heading to Rumoi. My predecessor seems really nice in the email (I need to write him back, but I have so many questions I'm afraid to start! :) I think he mentioned her and said she's the only one staying this year, or something.

Is there a HAJET party I'll meet you at?

I'm starting to get even more excited... didn't think that was possible!!!

WabiSabi-san
June 11th, 2004, 18:35
Wow, cool, does that mean you're going to be in Sapporo? Its an Irish monopoly on that place....

I'm unfamiliar w/ the phrase "Irish monopoly", but yeah, I'm being placed in Sapporo-shi 3 subway stops from the city-center. Huzzah! 8)

Only seven weeks left & they can't go by fast enough.

Canuck
June 11th, 2004, 23:58
Congrats on the placement, NSBC! I'm still chewing my fingertips off waiting.

Hey Manshonyagger, I'm another of those 20 Prefecturals. Here's to hoping that list really does come out on Monday! Ganbatte ne!

Rose, I wonder if I'm the married Canadian you heard about...?

Now to take the edge off, I'm going to laugh insanely a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

~Amy~

Manshonyagger
June 12th, 2004, 03:05
Now to take the edge off, I'm going to laugh insanely a bit

You know, that's a thunderously good idea. Everyone, take a minute or two out of whatever you're doing and laugh maniacally.

Uwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! etc. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(and why isn't there an emoticon for deranged laughter?)

Dulcinea
June 12th, 2004, 14:07
Okay, so I just got my contract in the mail today and the info is a little different than what I expected.

It said after taxes I would earn 3,600,000 yen per year, but rent would be 178,000 yen per month. Do you think that this is normal? It works out to be about 1,617 dollars per month and leaves me 1,100 some after I'd pay rent. Is that normal?

NSboarderchic
June 12th, 2004, 15:01
$1,780 per month? That seems really high, especially since I thought most people's rent in Hokkaido was at least partially subsidized.

I'll let you know what mine is when I get my contract.

Manshonyagger
June 14th, 2004, 19:21
Monbetsu. I'm going to Monbetsu, to watch the icebergs float by!

marimba
June 14th, 2004, 21:01
How did you find out your placement, Manshonyagger? I'm also Hokkaido prefectural and dying to know. Share the love, bro...

Manshonyagger
June 14th, 2004, 21:35
I got an email from my predecessor, simple as that. :)

From what she says, she only got my contact details today, so it's possible that some folks just haven't heard yet.

marimba
June 14th, 2004, 22:23
how did you come to be in contact with the Hokkaido prefectural advisor, and is there any way the rest of us might?

Manshonyagger
June 14th, 2004, 23:01
Eh? I got a standard Hello-And-Welcome email from the Hokkaido PA a few days ago. If you haven't got one yet, check your junk mail - it was sent by someone called Mowzer, there's an attachment (letter from HAJET) and there wasn't a subject line. I thought it might've been spam or a virus before I opened it.

In the letter she asked anyone who hadn't heard from their contracting organization to drop her a line.

If you haven't got the email, I can forward the PA's contact details on to you, so let me know.

marimba
June 15th, 2004, 10:00
Thanks, I sent you a private message with my email. I think I remember seeing the "Mowzer" mail get deleted by my spam filter which is usually pretty accurate.

kiwichrissy
June 15th, 2004, 12:35
Hi there, I'm a Hokkaido prefectural JET from New Zealand. I haven't heard anything yet. sigh. I guess I'll rush home to the letter box again today.

Canuck
June 16th, 2004, 10:09
Hey Manshonyagger, congrats on getting your placement! How's the deal sound? Is your pred being helpful?

Did you see the first thing that comes up if you search "Monbetsu" in google? Teehee, have fun!

~Amy~

marimba
June 16th, 2004, 13:08
Hamatonbetsu for me. I'm not exactly sure how to feel about that.

Oh yeah... and no predecessor. I know how I feel about that. :roll: Well, it's not so bad, instead of being punished for prior horrible JET's, I get to be the prior horrible JET :lol: .

Manshonyagger
June 16th, 2004, 18:46
Hey Manshonyagger, congrats on getting your placement! How's the deal sound? Is your pred being helpful?

Did you see the first thing that comes up if you search "Monbetsu" in google? Teehee, have fun!

~Amy~

Erm,yes. Monbetsu, famous for Russian seamen...

and drif ice, seafood, woodcrafts and gold mining!

My predecessor is being hugely helpful. Looks like I'm in a high school for half of the week and a travelling novelty show to nine or ten other places in the other half.^_^

kiwichrissy
June 17th, 2004, 09:11
I got a letter from the Hokkaido BOE yesterday.

I'm going to Mori, in Oshima! Down in the south of Hokkaido. Its got a mountain close by and a ski field!

Happily, Mori is on the map, unhappily theres not much on the internet (well, that I can understand at least).

We are still waiting to hear where my husband has been placed. Fingers crossed that it is near me. Any opinions on whether i should sign my contract before we know about him or not?

Is anyone else going to the south of Hokkaido?

Canuck
June 17th, 2004, 10:06
Congrats kiwichrissy and marimba! Are you a prefectural JET too, kiwichrissy? Seems like all the prefecturals are finding out now! I've got my fingers crossed that I'll find out soon too! Maybe I'll send Marjon another email...

~Amy~

Canuck
June 17th, 2004, 11:22
I just heard from my pred, AND I GOT MY FIRST CHOICE - HAKODATE!!!! OMG, I'm so excited! I did an exchange there for 2 months in 2002 and have so many friends there! Yippee!

Apprently I'll be teaching at 2 highschool and visiting a bunch of other schools around, including one in Matsumae! I'll be living in teacher housing that is supposedly VERY cheap, yay!

~A Very Happy Amy~

Dulcinea
June 24th, 2004, 13:15
I'm going to Atsuma (5,000 people big). It's in southren Hokkaido and about two hours away from Sapporo.

koitten
June 24th, 2004, 16:25
Headed to Otaru, Hokkaido - My first choice! 145,000, 35-min by rapid train fm Sapporo. And near tons of skiing!

nano
June 27th, 2004, 03:46
My husband and I just heard that we will be posted in Obihiro. He's the one with the placement and I'm coming along for the experience! He found out his placement thru the fellow he's replacing. Seem's to be a common occurence. If there's any other non Jet spouses out there let me know!

Eejit
July 4th, 2004, 19:10
All I know is that im going to Hokkaide and that im a prefectural jet. What is a prefectural Jet and am I the only bugger not to have heard back from Hokkaido BOE :(

Manshonyagger
July 5th, 2004, 00:01
If you're a Prefectural JET, your contracting organization/employer is the Prefectural Board of Education in whatever bit of Japan you end up in, as opposed to a particular town/city BOE.

If you haven't heard anything yet , give the Hokkaido Prefectural Advisor a buzz. Did you get an email from her in early June? (check for a message without a subject line from someone called Mowzer - that's what mine was like, and I almost deleted it as spam!). If you didn't get it, I can send you her email address. Were you an alternate candidate? That _might_ explain it - they haven't decided where to put you yet.

NSboarderchic
July 6th, 2004, 14:27
I'm secretly starting to get worried. It took me a while to get my contract, thanks to my (and I'm trying to refrain from cursing here) post office. I'm going to send out my signed agreement tomorrow, but should I be worried about it taking a while to get there? I already emailed them about it, but was wondering what you guys thought.

At least I got it before my inept post office decided to close my box without warning, but claimed they gave me warning a month ago, even though it was a new box which I had for less than a month. Ugh!!