PDA

View Full Version : Shizuoka!

othius
May 27th, 2004, 00:50
Anyone have anything to say! I'm going there. Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Mac_North
June 3rd, 2004, 14:12
Not yet - I don't have any info other than I'll be in Shizuoka-ken.

nicklad
June 15th, 2004, 21:17
Also away to Shizuoka on 31st July.
Also don't know exactly where yet.

Seems like Shizuoka is the prefecture that JET forgot.
Heavily delayed placements and few participants going there......

Mac_North
June 16th, 2004, 09:28
and I'm still waiting, tho the first info packet supposedly arrived at my house yesterday (but it'll take 6 days to get to me in ChCh). My brother read the letter that came with it and relayed that my contracting organization will contact me separately.

*returns to twiddling thumbs*

nicklad
June 16th, 2004, 22:39
I got a letter from JET saying I was going to be in Shizuoka prefecture but that I would be contacted by the contracting organisation directly at a later point.
Is that the package you got Mac?
Who ever is responsible for the wait should get a swift knee in to the happy sack. I nominate myself to administer the blow when we get there.

BTW- ChCh? - Christchurch?

Mac_North
June 17th, 2004, 10:28
Sounds about right. I haven't seen the package yet, tho, just my brother (and his short email description is all I have to go on).

I haven't seen it because Peter is in Fort Collins (Colorado), and I'm in Christchurch (N Zed). There's a 6-day post delay, plus my brother's personal delay. I'm expecting the package sometime around the 20th.

Who knows, tho......

Samiantha
June 22nd, 2004, 04:41
Anybody got there placement details yet? Anybody going to Hamamatsu City with me??? :D

othius
June 22nd, 2004, 22:31
Samiantha,

Really, you know where you're going? sweet.

nicklad
June 23rd, 2004, 00:59
Samaintha, when did you get your info through?
I am also in the UK and going to Shiz but I haven't heard anything yet.
Is it just a letter or a big pack?

Also I am curious as to how everyone's Japanese learning is going?
I was well into it at first but I have lost interest quite a bit now.
I am sure that the scenarios in the book will be of use later on in Japan but at the moment I want to learn how to say "I like...".
The language learning system seems geared towards helping people out in certain situations such as when "Mr Gaban sends money to France through the post office" than learning the 'basics'.
Well, I guess they knwo best.
Does anyone know any Japanese curse words? I need to learn at least one. I know Japanese people are famed for their manners but I am sure that in certain situations the ability to be rude, offensive and unpleasant may be necessary. At the very least I will be able to use them in my bank the next time I go in without them knowing I am calling them "theiving t***s".

Samiantha
June 25th, 2004, 07:11
I got it about three days ago, nicklad. It got sent through ParcelForce from Japan. It was a contract and a load of notes from my ALT co-ordinator, which settled some of my worries and created some new ones!!

They reckon you only have to worry if you haven't heard anything a week before you go though....

BTW pervert is hentai in Japanese. It may not be handy for you but apparently us girlies will need it loads- hmmm.

nicklad
June 27th, 2004, 01:57
Thanks.

Hopefully I will have a package waiting for me when I get back from holidays.

Aroop
June 29th, 2004, 00:32
I've got a Shizuoka prefectural placement - I also have no information as to my exact location..
It means that we'll be teaching in high school, I think..probably more than 1..
I think its a bloody joke that they're too disorganised to give us proper details of where we're going.. dunno about everyone else, but I don't like long term mystery tours!
:?:

Mac_North
June 29th, 2004, 11:06
They aren't disorganized. My Japanese language exchnage partner told me that the Dept. of Education has the more thorough check system than other ministries in Japan. Decisions aren't made in one board meeting. They're made in several, and often once a decision is made, the document is passed up and down the ladder until unanimity is reached.

Aroop
June 29th, 2004, 23:08
Thats all very well, but dont you think its taking the piss giving no information whatsoever... I think most people about to go and live on the other side of the world for a long period of time would appreciate knowing whether they'll be living in a city or a mountain village!

In addition, I'm not generalising here... most other people I know have exact details about the flat they're moving into, rent etc...
Its just Shizuoka that seems to be behind...

:?:

Mac_North
June 30th, 2004, 08:37
hrm, yeah. no information isn't good this late in the game. But I'm in NZ, not home, so I can't do anything about it anyway until I return. After travelling around Oceana for the last 8 months, it has become easier for me to live without knowing what I'll be doing or where I'll be in the next 5 days. Any bed in Japan will be better than the hostels here in ChCh, so it'll be a move up for me!

Samiantha
July 1st, 2004, 03:10
Ah, hosteling... the joy :lol: Where r u staying in Chch? Is star times still there? i stayed there and also charlie b's....

Mac_North
July 1st, 2004, 07:44
I was staying at the Excelsior, but moved to Foley Towers because I got sick of young hellions making noise. Now, since I've met some of the swing dancing folk, a pair of flatties have graciously offered their extra twin bed. It's nice and free. And quiet, and warm. 4 days left, and then more couch surfing until I settle in in J-land. Sweet.

nicklad
July 1st, 2004, 19:43
The Stonelegih was the best hostel in Chch I think. It was more like a hotel than a hostel. Around the World was nice too.
I lived 2 years in Auckland, if I find teaching English is the thing for me I might have to go back there. Auckland city centre often seemed like one big language school.

The waiting game drags on.....
I do have to agree with Aroop that the lack of information is not on especially as when we have received something a reply is demanded almost instantaneously.

nicklad
July 1st, 2004, 19:49
Just seen on Big Daikon that those in Shizuoka that still haven't heard anything will have their info by 10th July.
My pre-departure orientation in Edinburgh is on the tenth (I think). Nice.

Samiantha
July 1st, 2004, 20:03
is there more than one orientation in edinburgh? mines 12th-13th. should probably learn some Japanese before then eh? :P

nicklad
July 2nd, 2004, 07:16
I doubt it. I don't have my info handy and probably just got the date wrong. My orientation is on a Monday and Tuesday.
I still need to sort out accomodaion for Sunday night as there is no way I can travel from home and be at Edinburgh university by 9.30. Wish they provided it on Sunday as well as Monday.

Mac_North
July 2nd, 2004, 08:37
Just seen on Big Daikon that those in Shizuoka that still haven't heard anything will have their info by 10th July.
My pre-departure orientation in Edinburgh is on the tenth (I think). Nice.

[irish brogue]aye, you're a good lad, nicklad. To be sure, to be sure.[/irish brogue]

Cheers for the good research. I'll be home on 05 July, so the 10th is great.

Samiantha
July 3rd, 2004, 00:14
i'm lucky, my folks are driving up on the sunday so im stopping somewhere with them- then they can go shopping while i'm cramming a ridulous ammount of information into my poor brain!

Might see you there nicklad! :D

nicklad
July 5th, 2004, 22:09
I sent Edinburgh university accomodation an e-mail but have got no reply so I am going to phone them up an try to get something.
This week I also got a package from the travel agents for JET telling me the hotel we stay in Tokyo: The Keio Plaza Hotel (or the Tokyo Hilton if its too full).
It was nice of them to tell me this. All I need to know now is the name of the town/ city I will be living in and the name of the school I will be working in. I guess such trivial information is deemed unnecassary until the last minute.

Oh yeah. I had a look at the Keio Plaza Hotel on t'internet and it looked to me like the hotel Bill Murray stays in in Lost in Translation.

Good luck to everyone with learning Japanese.
I guess we will all meet when we get to Shizuoka and have the prefectural tour etc.

Mac_North
July 7th, 2004, 06:05
My predecessor finally emailed me. I'll be in

Yaizu

teaching in one high school. I've got a five minute walk to school, a 12 minute local train to Shizuoka, and subsidized rent.

I still don't know my contracting org or supervisor because I haven't received my welcome letter. This makes filling the visa app difficult, and it's due in two days.

I would rather have had it the other way.

othius
July 7th, 2004, 12:17
My Pred emailed me the other day. I'll be in Shizuoka City teaching at an all girls school. According to my pred, my wife's school will be a 10 minute walk away, but we haven't heard from her placement yet. But it's finally nice to know.

Mac, you're just a short way from Shiz City? cool.

Mac_North
July 7th, 2004, 17:26
[kiwi-speak]Ah, yeah! Sweet as, bro.[/kiwi-speak] Just 12 mins on the local train is what Drew tells me.

Aroop
July 8th, 2004, 00:35
Well after all the moaning and complaining....! I got the email from my predecessor..I'll be in Kanaya Town, located in a small valley surrounded by tea fields and mountains. Its 20,000 people which seems ok, but my pred. says its fairly rural ( 2 supermarkets and 5 restaurants!) I'm a 30 min train ride from Shizuoka City, and will pay about 20,000 yen... could be worse...

nicklad
July 8th, 2004, 05:52
Lucky for some.
I still have heard nothing!!!
I got the times I fly from Edinburgh but still no destination when in Japan.

kin bollocks.

nicklad
July 10th, 2004, 19:19
Well, its the tenth and still no word. I asked JET about it and they said they could not badger the contracting organisation until one week before lift off.
They also said that many people were in the same boat. It doesnt sound like it from what I read on here.

Marisa
July 13th, 2004, 08:17
:lol:

Hello!!
I'm off to Shizuoka-ken on the 31st!! Only found out last week!! How many other people are there gonna be?

Mac_North
July 13th, 2004, 08:28
I received my welcome letter and all the bidness info on Sunday. Apparently, it was sent via special delivery - since no couriers do standard Sun drops....

I'll get to read it tonight cos I'm finally going up to Fort Fun from Denver.

nicklad
July 15th, 2004, 06:52
Finally got my placement.
I am going to Shimada-shi.
I am to work in a tech high school. I spoke with my predecessor who was sounded like a top bloke and made the whole set up sound great.

I was also fretting a bit about all the horror stories of high rent and massive key money but 16,000 a month really is peanuts.
Now I have contact from Shimada and a contract in my hand I am happy as Larry.

See you in Tokyo or if not, in Shizuoka.

Happy travels.

Marisa
July 19th, 2004, 01:11
Hello!
I'm off to Skizuoka on the 31st
Anybody know where they're going exactly?

nicklad
July 19th, 2004, 04:57
Marissa,
To answer your earlier question of how many people are going to Shizuoka.
I spoke with my predecessor and he told me that Shizuoka-ken takes more JET's than any other prefecture.
Also, he said that there are many Shizuoka JET's leaving and so the intake this year for Shizuoka-ken is high. (Apparently many have done the 3 years and are returning home).

Marisa
July 20th, 2004, 07:25
Thanks Nicklad.
I now know where i'm going. Atami city, right next to Tokyo! Well, nearly. On the eastern border of Shizuoka prefecture and it looks gorgeous!

Anybody else going to Atami city with me??