PDA

View Full Version : Akita Prefecture

williamdirk
May 27th, 2004, 08:50
Well I haven't heard of anyone who is going to my prefecture yet, so I just wanted to place this out there for anyone who is going or knows anything about the area. Post whatever you think could be helpful since I'm going to live there and I know just about nothing. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah my name is Will and Im from Las Vegas, NV USA, and this will be my first time really leaving the country

yakipurinzuki
May 28th, 2004, 12:26
Hi, I'm Tina and I'm going to be a CIR in Akita... the specifics are unclear to me as of yet. I'm from Taiwan, though I'm a US citizen and will be leaving for JET from NYC. So anyway, my mom went to Akita before with a group of her friends and she loved it. She said the tour guide said that Akita is where all those beautiful pictures of Japanese scenery are taken. So she was really happy with my placement when I was like "It's the boonies!" It's going to be freaking cold during the the long winter though. Akita dogs are from Akita. That was all I knew about Akita when I saw my placement. (Just changed my avatar to an Akita puppy ^_^)
It's going to be an adventure!

williamdirk
May 28th, 2004, 13:58
Hey Tina, I'm so happy to hear that because I was thinking the same thing about the boonies. Someone told me there is a lot of snowboarding and skiing in our area as well, so Im really looking forward to the winters, yes I know it will be very cold, but I live in a desert and can't stand the heat so I welcome the cold. Im glad to hear from another person going to be in the same area.

yakipurinzuki
June 1st, 2004, 04:43
Okay got more specifics. My predecessor called me yesterday and I even spoke to my supervisor in Japanese with Korean mixed in by accident since I'm confused because I've been studying Korean this year instead of Japanaese. I'm going to be in the cute little Meiji Period mining town of Kosaka in the northeast corner of Akita by Lake Towada.

williamdirk
June 3rd, 2004, 08:44
Still haven't heard from my predecessor. Wow I'm the exact opposite side of the state on the Westside. Thats great that you finally found your placement though.

I was wondering if you knew anything about the transportation in Akita such as trains, busses and stuff. Each map looks different I have no concept of distance yet. I'm excited to go but i think nerves are finally starting to sink in less than two months left.

yakipurinzuki
June 3rd, 2004, 12:37
Yeah, I'm a little worried cuz on a map online I found of my town it says "Kosaka Station (freight only)." I didn't know they were places in Japan without real train stations...

Gabriel
June 4th, 2004, 15:43
Hey you two:

1. Gabriel
2. Ugo-Machi (south side)
3. Sacramento, CA
4. Blog- www.velvetdevil.com

now that's outta the way: My predecessor said the people he worked with were awesome, and that akita is beautiful. He used a car (van actually, no word on whether/not it was down by the river) and recommended it, though I suppose that will vary by town. I'm stoked on seeing some of the pics from this region, and will most definately have to bring ye olde snowboard.

But hey, you're the first people I've seen yet who are gonna be in AKita, so HI!!!!!

suemejack
June 4th, 2004, 22:37
Hello all!

My name is Kevin and I live in Washington, DC. I found out recently that I've been placed in Akita-ken as well, and my contracting organization is Akita-shi. I spoke with someone from my current office who used to coordinate JET placements from DC, and she told me that it's likely that I'll be teaching younger students, since my contracting organization is through a city.

It's nice to hear about some others headed to Akita-ken, though, and I look forward to meeting you all. We'll probably share a train ride from Tokyo, right?

Kevin

williamdirk
June 6th, 2004, 07:11
yeah I'm so excited there is now four of us. I didn't know if there was going to be anyone going to Akita-ken since it's been a while and like all of you I haven't found anyone who was going. It's nice to meet you all and if you like drop me a line whenever, it's to hot up here in Vegas to go outside so Im kind of stuck inside while the suns up.

williamdirk
June 18th, 2004, 00:17
I don't know if you guys are aware of this or not, but we have a yahoo message board for those who live in Akita. It's interesting to see what JETs talk about, kind of neet they help each other out and lots more. So if you haven't joined yet, I'de recomend it also they have set up a website specificly for Akita JETs that is very informative
the yahoo group is: Akita-list
and the website they put together skips my mind right now

Cheers
Will

williamdirk
June 18th, 2004, 00:29
ok here is the web address for you all to check out

www.akita-ajet.com

enjoy

Pav
July 9th, 2004, 23:34
i'm coming to Akita too!!!
I finally found out where i was going to be contracted this morning. That gives me, hmmm....22 days to find out about the place and learn japanese.
ALT by the way

Pav
July 9th, 2004, 23:37
oh and does anyone have any idea where aikawa town is? i can't find an english map that is detailed enough.

cheers,
pav

HikoSeijuurou314
July 21st, 2004, 06:13
http://www.town.aikawa.akita.jp/imege/accessmap.gif there it is. It is the big red thing in the middle :).

I am going to Hachiryuu-machi. It is a little north of the peninsula.

socalDave
August 13th, 2004, 03:47
So for all of the guys in Akita, are the rumors true? Are there a lot of Akita-bijin (Akita beauties)?
My buddy in Tokyo was telling me that every Japanese guy thinks girls from Akita are beautiful~