PDA

View Full Version : Chiba-ken

Stargirl
May 27th, 2004, 10:47
I just got my placement this morning. Yay! It was my first choice, so I'm pretty happy. Don't know where exactly I'm going to live yet though. So is anybody else going to Chiba?

Fyrey
May 27th, 2004, 17:12
Hey Stargirl,

I'll be in Chiba pref. I'm apparently just a few miles away from Narita airport.

Stargirl
May 28th, 2004, 11:05
Oh cool! When did you find out? And what town exactly are you going to? I'm still waiting to hear from the CO... I don't know why they're taking so long.

Fyrey
June 1st, 2004, 07:15
Found out last week - I've pm'ed you so check it out there.

Noticed that 45+ people have read our posts? I'm guessing at least some of them are Chiba bound - come on, get involved.

clhughes
June 3rd, 2004, 21:25
I'm off also off 2 chiba! Town called Ichinomiya

Fyrey
June 9th, 2004, 20:25
Hey, cool, thats 3 - clhughes, ur down on the coast huh? Sounds great!

whyfiite
June 11th, 2004, 23:35
I heard one of my sisters co-worker was told a bit ago he was going to Chiba, but he has no idea :idea: what area in Chiba he is going to. I guess it is still a waiting period for him to be told. I guess not too many are going because there are no inquiries on the other sites my sister asked me to research. :?:

Stargirl
June 24th, 2004, 22:45
So I've been placed in Chiba City... and I don't have a predecessor. This sucks cuz I can't ask my supervisor personal questions. I already tried asking about dress code at school and she just said to refer to the JET policy. Cold!

Anyway... Anybody else located here?

clhughes
June 25th, 2004, 07:38
damn, that is cold! this is what my predessessor sent me, I don't know if it'll be the same in your situation but at least it will give you an idea:

Clothes- you will arrive at a time when it is extremely HOT in Japan. It is very humid so dress for that occassion. However you will need to be in business casual wear during orientation as well as at school. Teachers here usually dress formally to school, and then change into sports wear during the day and cleaning time(very strange to me). So have some sweat pants and tshirts ready. You don't really need to wear a suit all the time, nice pants and shirts are fine. I would avoid low cut and short sleeves..just because, you'll get to meet many teenage-hormonal boys here.. On the other hand, weather in the winter is VERY cold! Fleece sweaters and pants are good. Your apt will feel like the same temp. as outside! really! Oh yes, bring extra pairs of shoes. The Japanese have this indoor/outdoor shoe policy...so basically you must change into other shoes once you enter school...so don't worry about coordinating with your outfit to shoes.everybody looks silly here with socks and sandals and running shoes. I have shoes at each school so i don't have to bother taking it everytime.

I hope this is of some help

Stargirl
June 25th, 2004, 20:19
clhughes - thanks for the info. I've heard the same thing from other sources, but was hoping to get a better idea of my own school, but i guess it's all the same everywhere. I'm still baffled as to how cold it will be inside the school. I've never worn fleece pants out... let alone to work. And with sandals/running shoes with them. :roll:

whyfiite
June 30th, 2004, 23:30
My brother has a predec but they haven't been helpful at all. :( It is a shame, when you know you have some one replacing you and haven't sent the necessary general information to help prepare the person in making a smoother transition into their job. I have read where there are sensational preds :D and then I have read where no one has a pred or if the person has a pred they have questionable tactics. 8O I do know from personal experience "what goes around comes around" is not a theory or a quaint saying I have seen it happen in lives of people. :x

Stargirl
July 1st, 2004, 09:09
whyfiite, in my case I don't think there was a JET in my high school in the previous year -- hence I'm on my own. Ah well. It could be worse.

whyfiite
July 2nd, 2004, 02:15
Stargirl,
Yep, I have been reading your posts----that is sad and I feel bad for you. You would think someone there could be assisting your transition to another culture/job. I guess you will have to start from scratch.
MAYBE you will be getting a great bonus----(fingers crossed for you.) I know I'm thinking farfetched.

jharts
July 15th, 2004, 13:17
Hi guys! I will be in Chiba-ken, also. In a town called "Togane-shi." I believe it's about an hour away from Chiba City and about 15 minutes from the beach. I'm really pumped about it!

I was wondering if you guys knew of what there was to do in Chiba. While I know I'm going to love my city, I am also planning on getting out, too :)Apparently my town is sorta lacking in shopping and going out fun and Chiba is the closest thing to a city! I was wondering if you guys knew what all there was to do there. Also, are you guys planning on hanging out there much? Or do you think you're mostly going to be going into the metropolis that is TOKYO :)? I know I'll want to spend time in Tokyo, but I'm also really excited to get to know Chiba, which might be a little easier to handle some days.

I'm also looking forward to meeting you guys. Are you guys coming in the 25th or in August?

Fyrey
July 15th, 2004, 20:23
Hey jharts, I'll be there in August, I'm placed just up near Narita Airport - talk about easy getaway. I'm equally spaced from Tokyo and Chiba city, but I imagine Tokyo will be where I'm headed most.

meowcarrot
July 24th, 2004, 01:34
I'm going to be placed in beautiful, economically depressed Kisarazu-city! Convenienty just down the road from the Tokyo wan Aqua line (trans Tokyo bay highway), Kisarazu is a town of 122,000 people, known for it's delicious clams, and completely covered in rust from what pictures tell me.

whyfiite
July 27th, 2004, 05:11
Dear jhart,
I am writing under my girlfriends daughters name. My son is going to Chiba. I will let him know, but he is a pain in my a double s for now. I guess it is typical for those going and coming to wait until the last minute to get things together.
I think his predecessor is leaving this week. I think he only heard 2 times from his pred because they were TOO busy.
He is looking forward to going to Japan because 20 years ago my husband was stationed in Misawa and fell in love with the area.

Many thanks,

Shelagh

meowcarrot
July 27th, 2004, 11:10
Dear Nice Lady in Chiba who will be my supervisor,

SEND-ME-REAL-ESTATE-LISTINGS-OR-I-WILL-EAT-YOUR-BRAIN!

Thank you,
Meow