PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland Departure

Sorcha
May 27th, 2004, 17:29
HI guys, I was just wondering if any of the NI people (I am in Group A leaving London on July 24) had thought about getting to London to catch the flight to Japan? I will be in NI the week before we depart and had thought it would be the easiest thing to fly from Belfast to Heathrow on the day we depart for Japan. But what if the flights delayed? And I miss the connection? And I don't get to Japan? ?? Maybe it would be best to stay in London the night before....Ok am not really stressing this much - just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts? ahem...

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 18:24
HI guys, I was just wondering if any of the NI people (I am in Group A leaving London on July 24) had thought about getting to London to catch the flight to Japan? I will be in NI the week before we depart and had thought it would be the easiest thing to fly from Belfast to Heathrow on the day we depart for Japan. But what if the flights delayed? And I miss the connection? And I don't get to Japan? ?? Maybe it would be best to stay in London the night before....Ok am not really stressing this much - just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts? ahem...

Hiya Sorcha.

I've already been looking into flights (I'm Group A as well) - I think flybmi does quite well for a 24th July flight to Heathrow, but I don't know the time we have to be in Heathrow for.

I wouldn't stress too much about the missing etc. I carry those same background fears, but I'm confident that things will go smoothly, and I hope that whatever information gathered by myself, or from these boards, will help prove that.

My only chief concern is about having id to fly - as we will be giving up our passports in our orientation, that means I'll be flying back on the 6th July to Belfast, and out to Heathrow on the 24th using something else. What that something else is, I haven't quite worked out yet.

C.

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 18:53
Because I have a slight issue with only really having my passport as a form of id, I contacted flybmi to find out what other forms of id I could use for when my passport is getting all visa'ed up.

As the Belfast/Heathrow flight they offer is on an electronic ticket, as long as I have the credit card and reference numbers, that will act as proof of who I am.

Now, just to find out if they are the carrier I want to go with...

C.

Manshonyagger
May 27th, 2004, 20:25
Do we go direct from Edinburgh to Japan, or do we go via London? Anyone know? Not that I care that much... :)

(off to check the Edinburgh airport website for flight timetables)

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 20:29
Hi,

Do you group A people know what time the flight is leaving for Japan on the 24th? I'm in group B and just know we leave on the 31st, no other details than that.

I've got no details as of yet - I plan to email the jet office shortly

For the orientation, I booked my edinburgh flight from aldergrove with easyjet for 60 quid.

Lucky bastard :)

I think I'll be flying EasyJet as well, but something tells me it's going to be more than 60 quid...

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 20:39
In my attempts to find out what other forms of Id can be used (if you don't have a driver's license), I found this:

http://www.citizencard.net/

Accepted by EasyJet, BMI, FlyBe, as well as other places that don't have planes.

The standard processing time is 5 weeks, but they can do a 5-8 day turn around if you pay a little extra.

Sorcha
May 27th, 2004, 21:23
I emailed the JET office this morning. Polite, but pretty useless as usual! This is what they said:

I am afraid that at this time we do not know the flights times for the 24th July. The travel agency that deals with the JET departures is still in the final stages of dealing with the airlines about this. Everyone does make their own way to Heathrow, however depending on the flight time, it is up to you whether you feel it may be best to come the
day before. It is obviously a good idea to give as much time as possible in case of any delays. I do understand that flight prices will increase, but please be patient to wait to hear from the travel agency, who will contact you directly anytime from now on with flight details.

Well that sorts things out then - we'll have to do a little bit of that waiting game they are so fond of! I think BMI is the only airline which flies from Belfast to Heathrow - all the cheaper airlines fly to the cheaper airports, and BA stopped that route ages ago. I guess we can continue this conversation when we have some more details - July 23?[/quote]

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 21:36
I emailed the JET office this morning. Polite, but pretty useless as usual! This is what they said:

Some stuff.

Well that sorts things out then - we'll have to do a little bit of that waiting game they are so fond of! I think BMI is the only airline which flies from Belfast to Heathrow - all the cheaper airlines fly to the cheaper airports, and BA stopped that route ages ago. I guess we can continue this conversation when we have some more details - July 23?

Looks like it. BMI is the only one that flies to Heathrow. Admittedly, if we knew the time, and it was favourable, we could take one of the other London airports and just grab a shuttle or something to get to Heathrow, but all that will have to wait until the flight departure time is finalised.

Manshonyagger
May 27th, 2004, 23:57
Manshonyagger wrote:
Do we go direct from Edinburgh to Japan, or do we go via London? Anyone know? Not that I care that much...

(off to check the Edinburgh airport website for flight timetables)

I'm fairly sure we leave from Edinburgh, as they asked for your airport preference on the reply form.

Er, yes, I know. What I want to know is, do we fly direct from Edinburgh to Japan, or do we go Edinburgh-London-Japan - ie:does any airline fly direct (or with stopovers) to Japan from Edinburgh?

Manshonyagger
May 28th, 2004, 00:07
Just checked the Edinburgh airport site and it doesn't look like any airline flies direct to Japan from there. So we'll probably be going via a hub somwehere. It'll depend on the airline, I suppose. London bunnies will, probably, be going direct.

Cornelius
June 1st, 2004, 19:13
Right, that's me orientation flights booked.

Leaving at 6:10 am on the 5th July...

Ow.

Arriving in London Luton airport around 7:25am

I picked London Luton because its got a link for the Thames Line, which takes me to Kings Cross, where I can switch for Uxbridge.

Even with all this, I'll be very lucky if I have time to check in at the halls before 9:30am...

Manshonyagger
June 2nd, 2004, 02:05
Paul wrote:

For the orientation, I booked my edinburgh flight from aldergrove with easyjet for 60 quid.

I just paid 48 quid for mine.

Now all I need is photo ID for the trip...

Thanks for the info on accommodation, Mr. P. See you all there!

Manshonyagger
June 2nd, 2004, 02:07
Eh? How'd I manage to quote _myself_ there?

:?: :?: :?:

Manshonyagger
June 2nd, 2004, 03:28
So, what dates and times are your flights at? I'm leaving Belfast intl at 1835 on sunday 11th, then leaving edinburgh at 1650 on wednesday 14th.

I got the exact same times, Mr. P. Easyjet's doing a promotion at the minute, so I got the return flight on the Wednesday for nowt plust taxes!

The tags were the wrong way round, so I've fixed them.

Thanks, Mr. P. What would I do without you? :)

Cornelius
June 2nd, 2004, 07:59
Now all I need is photo ID for the trip...

If you don't have photo id (once you surrender your passport), use this instead:

I've sent off for mine, and should get it the end of this week.

C.

Manshonyagger
June 2nd, 2004, 23:16
Got my accommodation booked and all. The expenses for this little excursion over the sheugh are steadily mounting up. Just have to keep telling myself that it's all for a good cause.

If you don't have photo id (once you surrender your passport), use this instead:

I've sent off for mine, and should get it the end of this week.

Thanks, C. I was puzzling over who I could get to act as referee for this, but then my mum reminded me that I know a Policeman, so that's that sorted out. :)

Manshonyagger
June 3rd, 2004, 00:24
Yes.

They still had room, so why put myself out? I went for the el-cheapo single standard, though, miser than I am.

Where abouts are you staying? The uni?

rocky_racoon
June 5th, 2004, 20:46
heya...I will be up in belfast this thursday cos i have an appointment at the royal..if anyone wants to meet for a drink or two afterwards then let me know...i will probably be staying the night then my mate will be driving me back on friday...take it easy...steve

Cornelius
June 7th, 2004, 07:16
heya...I will be up in belfast this thursday cos i have an appointment at the royal..if anyone wants to meet for a drink or two afterwards then let me know...i will probably be staying the night then my mate will be driving me back on friday...take it easy...steve

Hi Steve,

It may be possible for me to pop my head round for a few jars. I'm not sure how busy my week is, but I should know more shortly.

Colin.

rocky_racoon
June 7th, 2004, 07:40
colin, if you can meet up then great, I will be floating around the town from about 2pm onwards, I haven't been to any bars in belfast before except once when i went to the queens student union around the time nirvana played there so i will probaly just go music shopping....if you or no-one else can make it no worries, i'll just trot back to derry on the 5pm bus and we'll get another chance soon...take it easy..

Manshonyagger
June 7th, 2004, 17:08
colin, if you can meet up then great, I will be floating around the town from about 2pm onwards, I haven't been to any bars in belfast before except once when i went to the queens student union around the time nirvana played there so i will probaly just go music shopping....if you or no-one else can make it no worries, i'll just trot back to derry on the 5pm bus and we'll get another chance soon...take it easy..

I'm at work until 5:30pm on Thursday, alas.

Anyone going to this NI JETAA to-be-arranged bash? :)

Cornelius
June 10th, 2004, 00:28

Mmm... ...the timing's not looking so good.

I have a class to teach at 3pm, and that normally doesn't finish until some time after 4pm. At best I could be in town at 5:20 or so, but if you are heading back to derry on the 5pm bus, then that's too late for you.

C.

rocky_racoon
June 11th, 2004, 00:54
no problemo, im getting the bus now in 15 mins, guess i'll see you's at the belfast bash, take it easy..

rocky_racoon
June 21st, 2004, 23:48
any word on the NIjet get together...?

Manshonyagger
June 24th, 2004, 18:08
Friday 2nd of July, Ba Soba near St. Anne's cathedral. Just got the email.

Cornelius
June 24th, 2004, 18:14
Friday 2nd of July, Ba Soba near St. Anne's cathedral. Just got the email.

Yeah, I got that as well. Unfortunately I've had to decline the invitation as I have something else going on that night.

C.