PDA

View Full Version : Prefectural Requests

Auburn
November 10th, 2005, 15:51
Hello to everyone who's applying for next year!

Out of curiousity, what prefectures did you all request/will be requesting?

merc
November 10th, 2005, 19:29
gifu, iwate, hyogo

Ini
November 10th, 2005, 22:14
I requested a transfer to St. Lucia but I'm not sure if I'll get it

Purge
November 11th, 2005, 00:38
Shiga, Shizuoka and Nara.

Doomer
November 11th, 2005, 08:00
Good choice purge...Shiga is a great place!!!

dobharrison
November 11th, 2005, 08:48
Hiroshima is the only decent place in Japan. And you may get a free kiss from me, ladies... :wink:

Ini
November 11th, 2005, 09:45
Come to Chiba!!!

and feel the will to live drain out of your body

Shotokai
November 11th, 2005, 10:48
COME TO OITA, Second to Tokyo with international people living here!

it's truely a great place to be, very gaijin friendly.

Ko-neko
November 11th, 2005, 10:59
Aomori is great for being in the Inaka and one of the most beautiful places in Japan.

Forget it if you don't like skiing and have a need for multicultural contact or decent bars. Not going to find them here.

KN

dobharrison
November 11th, 2005, 11:03
We have Heinz baked beans and falafel easily available here. I have a very cosy apartment too...

solacegirl
November 11th, 2005, 12:41
it's truely a great place to be, very gaijin friendly.

No its not! The vast majority of Gaijin spend most of the time on a hill bitching about other gaijin!

No, hang on...that's Shizuoka

Hannah
November 11th, 2005, 16:16
Nara.
Be careful what you wish for!

daneish
November 12th, 2005, 01:04
Hyogo, Osaka and Kanagwa.

Danimalcrackers
November 12th, 2005, 01:48
Kanagawa, Osaka, Sapporo....

I know.... you don't have to say it.

shadowrook
November 13th, 2005, 03:38
Because I can't stand the cold, I'm avoiding Hokkaido like the plague. =P It's Kyushu for me (hopefully).

I requested Fukuoka City, Okinawa, and Gifu (to venture a bit further into the cold north).

Auburn
November 13th, 2005, 17:30
Because I can't stand the cold, I'm avoiding Hokkaido like the plague. =P It's Kyushu for me (hopefully).

I requested Fukuoka City, Okinawa, and Gifu (to venture a bit further into the cold north).

Let me tell you, it is a myth that it isn't cold in Kyushu. It may be warmer than other places, but the lack of insulation in the buildings and lack of central heating means that you are going to be cold. Period.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Bring lots of sweaters.

shadowrook
November 14th, 2005, 01:04
Hrm...thanks for pointing that out. While the lack of central heating may be an issue regardless of where I'm placed...just looking at annual temperature graphs for Kyushu (specifically Okinawa), compared to Hokkaido (Sapporo)...

http://web-jpn.org/factsheet/geo/climate.html

...it's hard to ignore the difference.

I realize it is humid (which will make it seem colder) and there are daily differences, because those graphs are only averages over the course of years. However, requesting a southwest placement is a step in the right direction (weather-wise).

On another note, even though I placed a lot of emphasis on the temperature and was my original reason for looking southwest, people (including me) tend to overestimate how much the weather will affect their happiness. =P

Shotokai
November 14th, 2005, 06:38
you know what, no one ever choses Oita BUT plenty of newbies end up here! you may be one of them. www.oitajets.com

Cynthia
November 14th, 2005, 07:35
Nice plug, for Oita there! :^_^:

My advice is that if you are really keen on Kyushu, then request Oita because they seem really good about choosing folks who've requested here. The prefecture is beautiful, and there is access to some decent-sized cities. Although, I have found that despite the population in Beppu and Oita, it is still considered somewhat "inaka."

And, btw, it's very cold here , in my apartment, right now. I'm wearing a hat and a sweater inside!

Also, it's a good thing heat doesn't bother you, cause ACs aren't standard here either!

shadowrook
November 14th, 2005, 08:59
Hrm...Oita...lot's of good advice on prefectures...I'll have to think it over a bit...

Shotokai
November 14th, 2005, 11:50
it would be worth your while to put Oita down, I've never regretted it!

Doomer
November 14th, 2005, 11:53
Info on shiga as well as a board frequented by almost ALL current Shiga JETs can be found here!!

www.shigajet.org

Charlotte
November 14th, 2005, 15:40
Pick Okinawa

Okinawa is a beautiful island with so much to explore and a whole culture of its own. Winter doesnt usually start till january the 1st. It does get cold but only for a few months.

Put it this way it was 29c on saturday.

Beautiful coral reef, beaches, islands, food,

what more could u want

Ini
November 14th, 2005, 15:53
<<<DELETED!!>>>

merc
November 14th, 2005, 23:32
Nara.

why? Does Nara suck that bad?

Purge
November 15th, 2005, 00:38
Nara.

Um...something wrong with Nara? :?: Ah well, at least it's only my 3rd choice!

curstilace
November 15th, 2005, 13:58
kanazawa, nara, nagoya. . . i've been to all 3 cities and i love them. :roll:

shadowrook
November 16th, 2005, 09:53
Well the results are final...I just wrote down "H" block. =P If I'm lucky, I'll end up on Kyshu or Okinawa. I don't know enough about any of the places to really know which one I'd be happiest in. So hopefully I'll get into JET, and then be placed in the right spot for me. Yay!

Only like 3000 applicants against me in Toronto...and then competing for spots amongst 6000 odd JET participants. I'm a shoe in!

Shotokai
November 16th, 2005, 13:50
if u get in, I'll see you in Oita!

sweetadeline
December 5th, 2005, 05:08
kyoto (not kyoto city) nara, kobe. I have no hope, right?

dobharrison
December 5th, 2005, 09:14
Not necessarily! I got my second choice and live 30 mins from downtown Hiroshima! Good luck.

Doomer
December 5th, 2005, 09:19
kyoto (not kyoto city) nara, kobe. I have no hope, right?

Shoulda chosen Shiga... :smt009 stones throw (literally) from Kyoto!! I go there all the time spend the day and manage to get home to my own futon at night...and I live in the northernmost section of Shiga!! As far from Kyoto as a Shigaman can get!!!

Faustus
December 5th, 2005, 09:28
I'm in Hyogo, and I'm pretty happy here. It's a big prefecture, though, and while you could end up really close to Osaka, Kyoto and Kobe, you could also end up at the ass-end of nowhere in Tajima. Although you'd still have beaches and good skiing if that happened. There are a lot of ALTs here, and a lot of ways to get involved (prefectural soccer team, Habitat for Humanity, that kind of thing).

I'm leaving next year to go to graduate school, so there'll be an opening here in Miki. If you get it, you're a lucky soul- school vacations off, great BOE, excellent supervisor, long history of ALTs. And I'll be looking to get rid of a car with two full years of shaken (my shaken comes up in June- annoying). We have a good deal here, and we're also pretty close to Himeji, Kobe and Osaka. I have very, very few complaints about my town. Except for the fact that for reasons unknown, the people in my school still won't turn on the frigging heat, and I'm currenly on the verge of frostbite. Other than that, it's great. Hell, we even have a restaurant with a penguin tank. Can't beat that with a stick.

Oh, and if you're of the Jewish persuasion, Miki's a pretty managable distance from the synagogue in Kobe. Not tough to drive there for services at all.

dude
December 5th, 2005, 13:59
hyogo is my second choice after fukuoka, sounds great from the way you've described it. but honestly i think i'll be happy with any placement just as long as i get accepted to the program.

sweetadeline
December 5th, 2005, 15:48
hyogo is my second choice after fukuoka, sounds great from the way you've described it. but honestly i think i'll be happy with any placement just as long as i get accepted to the program.

I'll second that!

aoisakana
December 27th, 2005, 00:39
mine were yamaguchi, shiga and okinawa :D

Brightonnix
February 1st, 2006, 23:56
I requested Kyoto (yeh right), Hiroshima and Fukuoka, we'll see...

Becca
February 2nd, 2006, 02:33
Mine were Tokyo (please don't laugh...I know it was a stupid hope, but I studied abroad for a year there), Saitama (cause it's within commuting distance of Tokyo), and Shimane (I did a homestay there for a month).

occidental_xiaojie
February 2nd, 2006, 02:51
So, if you put down preferences, is there a chance that you'll get placed in some random unselected '4th choice' or will it be either something you asked for (or nothing at all)?

Ladama
February 2nd, 2006, 03:39
So, if you put down preferences, is there a chance that you'll get placed in some random unselected '4th choice' or will it be either something you asked for (or nothing at all)? By agreeing to do JET you are pretty much giving them the right to put you wherever they want. It seems more times than not people get one of thig choices, but that doesn't mean there aren't stories of someone requesting Fukuoka and getting Hokkaido. I hear requesting Tokyo is the best way to say "Hello, My name is _____ and I know nothing about Japan or the JET program." (not to mention only 8 or 9 of the nearly 6000 JETs are placed there). Requesting large cities is just generally a bad idea because think of all the English speaking foreigners that already live there and will probably work for less than what JET pays, and think of everyone else whose going to request those places. I'm willing to bet 90% of applicant will have one of the big three (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) requested.

Requesting a place where you studied or did a homestay seems to significantly increase your chances of being placed there. I think JET's number one concern is "is this person going to freak out and quit early?" and they figure putting you near a place that's familiar will lower the chances of that.

This is just from the stories I've heard over the last year or so, not because I know. :)

Doomer
February 2nd, 2006, 09:10
I'm willing to bet 90% of applicant will have one of the big three (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) requested.

I didnt... :D I must be in that 10%...I asked for (in this order) Shiga, Nagano, and Yokohama...because each of these prefectures had good friends of mine (except shiga...my gf lives in shiga) and having that person would make me much less likely to freak out...i also asked for a rural placement...the real japan experience (i feel) is out in the inaka anyway...that and im not a fan of major cities...nice places to visit...not so nice to live in...

And I got EXACTLY what I asked for...(probably becuase no one asks for it!!)

Ladama
February 2nd, 2006, 12:24
I'm willing to bet 90% of applicant will have one of the big three (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) requested.

I didnt... :D I must be in that 10%...I asked for (in this order) Shiga, Nagano, and Yokohama You just got sneaky and requested a couple places right by the "Big Three" :wink:

Ock
February 2nd, 2006, 12:33
retired

solacegirl
February 2nd, 2006, 13:03
I requested Kyoto, Okinawa and Fuk city -I got Oita and I got no complaints. Kyushu is my favourite place in Japan. I also think its the most beautiful place. I travelled through honshu a lot and its kind of mostly industrial bi cities which for the most part look pretty similar. Hiroshima is an exception to that and so is Kyoto. Infact Hiroshima is a great prefecture. Dob u are lucky there..

dobharrison
February 2nd, 2006, 13:07
Indeed I am. :)

occidental_xiaojie
February 2nd, 2006, 15:00
Ok...so I didn't even remember what I had selected...and I'm looking at my copies now thinking, what was I thinking...ok, I wasn't thinking... and I didn't have the sound advice of INTL to consider... I put 1) Osaka 2) the Kansai Block and 3) Kumamoto.
I kind of wish we could just say our least preferred...I so do not want to end of in Hokkaido. All of that lavendar is quite charming, but somehow the landscape/weather is too familiar. And it is far from my friends! I love mountains and volcanoes...but I do love the city and oh, the trains, as well. So, I kind of wanted to leave it blank and "let fate decide.." Oh, I don't know! It's an impossible decision, but even if I could decide, it wouldn't matter, so, I feel conflicted...

February 2nd, 2006, 15:28
I'm sure that my logic is flawed, but I thought "I want a place that is multicultural" so I chose Fukuoka solely because of its proximity to South Korea (my thought being that if it's close to SK, there must be an elevated concentration of people other than Japanese there). Is Fukuoka a somewhat multicultural city? My college roomate also has family there and when I asked him, his response was "yeah, it's cool there". I also chose Hokkaido beacuse I've heard that it's beautiful with lots of forests/mountains etc. I can't remember the third prefecture I listed, and I can't interpret the pdf of my app, so I guess I'll have to wait for the interview.

February 2nd, 2006, 15:29
Deleted.

February 3rd, 2006, 14:30
I choosed Oosaka, Sapporo and Hakodate...I'd love to be placed in Hokkaido! And I guess I would have great chances to get it since nobody wants to go there :twisted:

chibitotoro
February 3rd, 2006, 14:56
I selected:

1 - Nagoya, because one of my best friends lives there (Japanese guy)
2 - Hiroshima, because I visited there and it seemed like a pretty great place to live
3 - Sapporo, same as Hiroshima plus it has the best ramen and soft cream around.

I don't really care if I'm placed in one of those cities or in the countryside in their general vicinity. Or anywhere else for that matter, but those places would be nice.

First post btw, this board seems like a nice place. I'll be interviewing in NYC on Feb. 21, good luck to all going through the gauntlet this year.

Josefu
February 4th, 2006, 03:44
Gifu, as I have a friend there.

Nara as it was recommended to me by a professor and

Kanagawa as it was recommended to me by the same professor and his wife who is from Kanagawa.

Well, not that I just took the recommendation without checking. Those places are awesome.

But I'll be happy to go anywhere.

Jexebel
February 4th, 2006, 15:27
Damn, I don't remember what my choices were....is there any way to access your app online still?

Doomer
February 4th, 2006, 18:01
Damn, I don't remember what my choices were....is there any way to access your app online still?

You didnt save it?

Jexebel
February 5th, 2006, 03:52
I lost everything when my laptop went down. It's been a rough semester.

I'll just try and wing it.

quasarsglow
February 5th, 2006, 12:43
No one requested Ehime.. And we have like.. half the prefecture leaving too.. Maybe I will see some of you next year anyway :)

It is a magical land with the largest city on shikoku, a handful of the 88 temples and some of the kindest and craziest Japanese people you will ever meet.

We make the mikan juice that everyone in the damn country drinks too. And we have lots of persimmons as judged by the fact that I can't walk out of my apartment during the fall without someone handing me a bushel of them. Same with the mikans (mandarin oranges).

No scurvey here!

February 6th, 2006, 11:23
I shot for Ibaraki...Tochigi...and Aichi.

I just grabbed a map and looked for prefectures that were near the big cities and close to the beaches, what else can you ask for? Who wants to live in crowded, polluted Tokyo anyways? Beats me!

I'm from a small city, so hopefully (if I get the position) I'll get placed in semi-urban. I think I'm actually more concerned about that designation (rural, semi-urban, urban) then I am about where I actually end up!

wooot!

Doomer
February 6th, 2006, 13:44
Who wants to live in crowded, polluted Tokyo anyways? Beats me!

Im with ya...if i wanted to live like that i could just move back home!! :|

dobharrison
February 6th, 2006, 13:50
Who wants to live in crowded, polluted Tokyo anyways?

Me! Tokyo rocks!

quasarsglow
February 6th, 2006, 17:35
Tokyo rocks!

Beg to differ. While I am a fan of cities, theres something to be said for cities that remain a managable size.

Bleh to metropoli

dobharrison
February 6th, 2006, 18:33
The trick is to think of it as a collection of cities (Shinjuku, Ebisu, etc) and treat each as a manageable place. You should try Bangkok if you wanna see 'unmanageable'...

Hannah
February 6th, 2006, 19:33
People in Inaka seem happiest in Nara ken anway. Small cities are pretty naff.

cosmic
February 7th, 2006, 10:04
It's like dob said, "Tokyo City" is actually a collection of cities (specifically, the 23 special wards). "Tokyo" is better compared to a prefecture, containing the 23 wards and other cities, towns and villages. Each special ward has its own mayor and what not.

SeanC
February 7th, 2006, 12:02
I just accidentally put this on the main page, my bad.

I believe I asked for Chiba, Saitama, and Yokohama. I have a penpal from Yokohama, and she speaks really highly of it; another penpal goes to college in Saitama and seems to like it. And Chiba I just heard a lot of things about. I thought that I'd like to be at least remotely *near* Tokyo as well, so I could check it out when I liked. One of my good penpals is in Ibaraki, but she thinks it sucks So I decided not to apply there. Anyone from one of these 3 areas have anything to say about them? I'd love some input.

Sean

cosmic
February 7th, 2006, 12:28
Chances of Yokohama are basically naught. Chances of Saitama are quite high. Can't remember Chiba, surely lower than Saitama I'd think.

If you're in the inaka in Saitama or Chiba it can still be very inconvenient to get to Tokyo. There are good Saitama JET placements and bad ones; guess that's pretty much the same throughout the country. Chiba placements I don't know much about. If you get northwest Chiba near a train station it's pretty convenient to go to Tokyo AND to Narita international airport.

Kanagawa (where Yokohama is), Saitama and Chiba all have heaps of commuters to Tokyo. Generally they say Kanagawa > Saitama > Chiba in terms of quality of living.

Ock
February 7th, 2006, 13:23
retired

Dynamis
February 7th, 2006, 13:37
Okinawa is the poorest I believe. It certainly looked it when i visited.

cosmic
February 7th, 2006, 16:17
Saitama is poorest in terms of...?

Everything seems very "average" to me. Too average perhaps.

Edit: Yeah I believe Dynamis is right: Okinawa is the poorest. Ock you might be thinking of Shimane, which is certainly up there (or down there). I can't quite fathom how a bedroom ward of Tokyo like Saitama could be one of the poorest.

Hannah
February 7th, 2006, 18:18
I believe I asked for Chiba, Saitama, and Yokohama. I have a penpal from Yokohama, and she speaks really highly of it;
Sean

I have a penpal in Yokohama too (since i was 16, but I've become hopelessly bad at writing to her!)

Yokohama is lovely. I think there maybe one JET there! I wonder who it is?!

Doomer
February 7th, 2006, 19:34
Ini is in Chiba, God help you if you bump into him on a dark night!!! :lol:

We seem to be on the same wavelength recently Ock...I was thinking the same thing!!! :lol:

dobharrison
February 7th, 2006, 20:31
Yokohama is lovely. I think there maybe one JET there! I wonder who it is?!

Yeah, I remember reading that too somewhere! 1 JET in Yokohama and 1 in Tokyo.

Bear in mind, too, that even if you live in one of the prefectures bordering Tokyo, it can still cost a fortune to get into the city. 1 hour commutes are the norm for salarymen in Tokyo.

bakachan
February 9th, 2006, 07:21
I requested Fukuoka or anywhere in kyushu. At my interview one of the panelist(who knew me from my sport) suggested we change the placement to Oita Ken as he had lived there 30 years before hand and had contacts in my sport there still. I got Oita :D

Saitama, Chiba and Yokohama started to phase out using JETS 3 years ago and usually use dispatch companies/private part time contracts (so many foreigners living there to choose from available for part time gigs)so requesting basically anywhere near Tokyo is a waste of time.

solacegirl
February 9th, 2006, 08:06
You shouldn't fear the Hokkaido placement btw...it has some of the best skiing in the world and Sapporo is meant to be one of he coolest cities in Japan.

cosmic
February 9th, 2006, 08:31
Saitama, Chiba and Yokohama started to phase out using JETS 3 years ago and usually use dispatch companies/private part time contracts (so many foreigners living there to choose from available for part time gigs)so requesting basically anywhere near Tokyo is a waste of time.

While they are indeed reducing JETs in this area, Saitama still has around 200 JETs - one of the highest JET-populated prefectures. There were, what, 80 new ALTs this year? I wouldn't call it "a waste of time."

Dave
February 9th, 2006, 09:10
Tochigi has 56 JETs.... but it`s going down every year.

Chi
February 14th, 2006, 11:11
Come to Shizuoka Prefecture! I live at the foot of Mt. Fuji and have an awesome view from my apartment. I'm at the top of the Izu peninsula and have easy access to great beaches and some of the most popular resort cities in Japan. I'm also an hour outside of Tokyo by the shinkansen.

This was not one of my top 3 choices on my application, but I'm quite happy with my placement.

Sam
February 14th, 2006, 15:57
Yeah, Hokkaido is probably the best placement you could hope for. But don't bother if you're a struggler...