PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go in Japan?

canadagirl
November 16th, 2005, 12:34
I am going to be mailing off my application for the JET Program this week. I have everything together except for one thing. I don't know where to go :(
I have been reading some information about how in some parts of Japan, the rent is significantly higher than in others. I am afraid to go someplace that I cannot afford. I have been interested in going to Okinawa because of the ability to live in a smaller place where I can get to know people in the community. I understand that not everyone is excepted into the program, but if I am excepted, I want to make sure that I end up in the right place. Can anyone give me any suggestions please?

Shotokai
November 16th, 2005, 12:44
Come to Oita, it's in Kyushu so you'll get the tropical summers and frigid winters but, it's a very cool place to be.
check out www.oitajets.com and www.shotokai.smugmug.com for info and photo's about our fun and adventures in Oita!

Doomer
November 16th, 2005, 12:54
Come to Shiga!! Its part of the Kansai area and right next to Kyoto!!! Wherever you live in Shiga getting to Kyoto is fairly easy and not so expensive!! Also, every JET in this prefecture has their rent subsidized in some form (more than half in my case)...it is also one of the most well off prefectures financially...great bunch of JETs live here and it is DEFINATELY the place to be!!!

More info can be found here:
www.shigajet.org

dobharrison
November 16th, 2005, 13:00
'The right place' depends on what you want - tiny village in the mountains or somewhere near a big city.

Hiroshima City is probably one of the best places to live in Japan, but the prefecture is big so chances are you may get placed miles from anywhere. We have quite a few JETs here, though, and its a nice little community.

V
November 16th, 2005, 20:32
pretty much anywhere in Kansai - best area!!

quasarsglow
November 16th, 2005, 20:44
You know, you arent required to have a place you particularly want to be. That's probably the least of your worries.. or it should be.

The most important thing to remember about choosing a place is that there's a damn good chance you won' get placed there, so don't go getting attached.

I happened to get placed in an awesome little city. Despite what Dob says, Shikoku Island does have electricity, computers and video games, as evidenced by the fact that my students all have nothing better to talk about than games. Conversely, it is a small town. People's eys will fall out of their heads if you walk around in a tank top in the summer. Half a million people and they're all concerned about the American whore bearing her arms... beautiful I tell you.

So yeah, you:re placement is going to be what you make it, so you'd best be prepared to make the best out of any and all places that aren't your choices. I was shocked that I was placed anywhere within a days travel of one of my requests.

Pandilex
November 16th, 2005, 20:50
I recommend Osaka, it's the best.

Oh, and should I write a crappy personal heart-wrenching story to convince you? Well, let me see.

I chose Osaka City, Osaka Prefecture and Tokyo on my application form, the 3 hardest places to go (I believe). I totally got attached to going to Osaka, so much that I would have cried for 3 days and 3 nights had I not been chosen there. Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. So I got placed in Osaka, not too far away from the main city.

The moral of the story is, I'm a jammy cunt.

quasarsglow
November 16th, 2005, 20:52
The moral of the story is, I'm a jammy cunt.

Dude, sounds like someone needs to wash a little more thoroughly.

/threadjack.. but with an ending like that, surely he was begging for it!

Doomer
November 16th, 2005, 21:15
pretty much anywhere in Kansai - best area!!

HELL YES!!! 8) 8)

But Shiga in particular!!!

Ini
November 17th, 2005, 02:33
I got my first choice because I'm awesome.

Come to Chiba! Where the prices are high, the quality of life is low and the PA is an evil chinky bitch.

Ock
November 17th, 2005, 08:00
retired

merc
November 18th, 2005, 03:27
Is anywhere in Kansai really rural?

V
November 18th, 2005, 06:55
of course there are places which are rural - and in fact im in a comparatively small town of 9000 (not that rural i know but still not a huge city) anyway - i get the best of both as im right next to the JR line and can pop in and out of Osaka when i feel like it then back to my little abode to escape the crazy osaka perm when i need some normality.
(there are other JETs in my area who are properly rural - ie live on a mountaintop with no transport unless you can drive and are allowed to drive by your BOE - but the majority of us seem to fall somewhere inbetween.)
really just depends on the luck of the draw! - all my choices were in kansai so im happy that im here :^_^: - but it has to be said im not actually in any of my preferred places.
it worked out well for me but its a lottery so go worry about sth else as this probably wont make much difference to yr application.

shadowrook
November 18th, 2005, 08:04
in fact im in a comparatively small town of 9000 (not that rural i know but still not a huge city)

How is 9000 not rural...? I mean, I understand there are different versions of rural and urban...but 9k seems much more towards the rural side to me. However, that may just be my perception living in one of the largest cities in North America. =P

Dynamis
November 18th, 2005, 08:20
Wherever you go, you will be able to afford to live comfortably. Unless you're bringing a family to support, or want to fly home every weekend.

Matt

V
November 18th, 2005, 17:05
when i say 9,000 is not rural it means that i very much appreciate that im not in a village of between 200-2,000 - have met people who are and although they love it - rather them than me.
the other reason being - it feels rural in that everyone knows me and knows where i live but in another respect it doesnt - everything i need is nearby including transportation and shopping etc. I just have to hop on a train for 15mins and im back in civilization!!!

Ini
November 18th, 2005, 23:28
wow good for you, but all levels of civilisation are measured by the distance between you and the nearest chinese run blowjob bar.

Doomer
November 19th, 2005, 16:28
wow good for you, but all levels of civilisation are measured by the distance between you and the nearest chinese run blowjob bar.

Well then I live in a cave...

And as for Kansai being rural? Kansai is a big area...I live up in the northermost part of Shiga...15 min and your in Fuki or Gifu (depends on the direction your going) Yes rural exists everywhere!!

Ini
November 19th, 2005, 16:37
Hey dont put yourself down, I've been to gifu city and there are hundreds of seedy bars there.