View Full Version : Voltage and hairdryers!

May 27th, 2004, 22:09
this is a bit of a girlie question but does anyone know if our hairdryers will work out there??
I remember from when I was living in Paris the power points in our rooms in the halls of residence werent powerfull enough for my hairdryer so i had to invest in 3 extension cables and each time i wanted to dry my hair had to connect them all up to the socket in the kitchen to lead to my room!

the French seemed to find this very amusing!

May 27th, 2004, 22:41
So I have several appliances that says

Input: 100~240V ~50-60Hz 1.5A
Output: 19.5V-3.34A

like my labtop power adapter, so all I would need is a plug adapter, not a power converter?

May 27th, 2004, 22:46
i think the general rule of thumb is that if your appliance has a transformer on it, you just need a plug adaptor. if it's just a plug, you need a power convertor. my friend adrian bought one out there relatively cheaply for his PS2...

May 28th, 2004, 18:54
Buy a hair dryer there. They're pretty cheap and hey you can afford it!

May 28th, 2004, 21:35
What kind of plugs do they use in Japan? Will a 2 pin adaptor for mainland Europe do the trick? Sorry for the dumb question :oops:

May 28th, 2004, 22:18
What kind of plugs do they use in Japan? Will a 2 pin adaptor for mainland Europe do the trick? Sorry for the dumb question :oops:

it is 2-pin but it's different from the Continental adapter. One has round pins and one has flat, I forget which is which. If you buy a travel adapter there are normally 2 plugs - one for Continental and one Worldwide... you can get them pretty much everywhere - Boots, supermarkets, that kind of thing

May 30th, 2004, 04:24
It is the flat 2 pin. Same as USA I think??? Please correct me if I'm wrong here, never been to the US of A! (round 2 pin for Europe)

And my hairdryer came with one so I'm sorted (for dry hair anyhoo!)

Most travel hairdryers come with a couple of adapters, if you don't want to be trapsing round looking for a hairdryer on your first day! I got mine in Boots. (I think it is Babylis)

Hope this helps!

Hannah X

May 30th, 2004, 04:45
in japan they have the 2 pin plugs http://www.buytravelconverter.com/crossreference/images/japan.gif like here in the US, however, I have yet to see a plug in Japan with the third lower "ground" hole http://www.necaibew970.com/images/outlet.jpg like we have on all sockets here in the US, so I have to put a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter on my laptop plug since it has the 3rd lower "grounding" prong.

Oh, and you know how sometimes one pin is larger than the other? The majority of the plugs I found in Japan only had two of the same size smaller holes