PDA

View Full Version : Im fucked and and its their fault

quasarsglow
November 29th, 2005, 21:25
Three weeks I had to plan a lesson. I got it planned. I had to use technology, we use technology. I planned for 3rd year advanced english elective, because thats what I was told. Im a good ALT, I do my job. I do more than most because I am used in every English class as long as there arent exams happening.

In short, I worked my ass off planning this lesson around my 5 other lessons a day.

So what happens?

"Oh QG-sensei, Im so sorry, this lesson must change for the remedial English elective class. But we must keep the same aims and same technology used. Please change it."

The lesson is friday. These students could probably easily be back with the first years. Three of them don't recognize all the letters in the Alphabet. One knows fewer kanji than I do.

This was a lesson utilizing podcasts and online quizzing to understand the meaning of the broadcast. Then the students were supposed to make their own short essay, record it and make a quiz about their essay.

The class this is for, can't properly introduce themselves. One cant even say "my name is Haru. Nice to meet you."

This is impossible and I get to look like an idiot. The BOE is going to be sitting in on this lesson.

I dont even know where to begin to change this.

I hate this school and I hate my teachers and I fucking want to go home.

Doomer
November 29th, 2005, 22:03
Is this the only school you teach at? And if so, Im sorry!! 8O :(

Im used in all the english classes at my school and have to help plan things...but this has never happened to me...and I hope it never does!!

Hannah
November 29th, 2005, 22:04
ok... I'm sure all is not all lost. You won't look like an idiot. Keep the lesson plan you have made. Maybe you can use it another time.

You have to use the technology right...

It sounds like you can't use what you originally planned (that sounds very advanced!)

If simple letter regonition is where you have got to start with these students, do some kind of keyboard activity.

Do you have a simple messaging program you can use? Get them to have a conversation.

What is your name?
My name is ...

What sports do you like?

etc etc

If you really need to use the podcast technology how about getting them to listen to short pieces of music (some pop, some classical, jazz etc - a variety of different genre).
Get them to listen to each sound clip and then state thier opionion on it. Give them a choice of answers "It's great" "It's alright" "Strange but interesting" "I don't like it" "It's really bad"

Then maybe you could get them to say which music they liked the best and why.

I'm really tired, so I can't come up with anything more than that at the mo, but I hope you figure something out.

I'm sure you will be fine. JTEs can say the stupidest things sometimes.

Hamaguri
November 30th, 2005, 06:07
Might I also suggest that in some direct or round about way you make it known to your B.O.E., the Principal, and the English Dept supervisor of that school the amount of work you put into making the lesson in the first place and by changing plans with very little notice the JTE's are not doing their jobs by keeping you informed of what is going on, particularly with that type of lesson and subject matter you should not be held responsible if the class doesn't turn out the way you envisioned it because they didn't give you proper preparation time.

I had a similiar situation and I brought the issue up with the principal of my school, he got the JTE's together and found out the reasons for the schedule changes and then got them to change it back to the originally planned schedule. It is unprofessional of them to do this to you that' a fact. I am not suggesting going to war over this but there are ways to get your point across that may no necessarily work for this time but get people thinking before they do it again.

I wish you luck, like Hannah wrote maybe you could just try "dumbing" down the material and show the kids the benefits of using technology with English. If you also have any PC's nereby you might think about using interactive ESL sites for some game or activitiy. Good Luck.

amagaeru
November 30th, 2005, 08:40
that sucks, but... I've been there and I know that *nothing* makes a class crash faster than trying to teach advanced materials to a remedial group. if you want to look good in front of the BOE but can't change back to the advanced class, it looks like you should just rewrite the entire lesson so it is suited to the group. you can always use the other lesson plan to teach the advanced class later, so it won't be wasted.

if anyone gets on your case, just tell them you assumed that by "same aims" and "same technology", the JTE meant "teaching the students appropriate-level English" and "using my faculties as a native speaker to do so".

dobharrison
November 30th, 2005, 09:29
Good advice all around!

Try not to worry too much, Quasars. I imagine it's the school that will look bad, not you. You're outside the system so no one will give a damn.

Cynthia
November 30th, 2005, 18:35
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, QG.

This country sucks ass sometimes, and I can certainly appreciate your feelings of wanting to go home. I probably say that at least once a week!

Hope your day tomorrow is better. I wish I had some more ideas for you, but I am creatively bankrupt atm. I'm sure you'll pull the new class of with flying colors though!