PDA

View Full Version : Currency Exchange

WuTAN
May 28th, 2004, 04:05
Hey guys,
The £/Yen is at a good rate, i'd advise on exchanging some Yen now! For anyone that lives in London, tehre is a great place just off Oxford Circus that does great rates and doesn't charge commission. here is the web addy:- http://www.thomas-exchange.co.uk
i got 40,000Yen for £201.26 (£/Yen @ 198.75). A pretty hard deal to beat!
Hope it helps.

Dave
May 28th, 2004, 04:47
Great! Now I just need to find some £££'s ! :?

WuTAN
May 28th, 2004, 04:51
sell your kidney... you only need one! besides, it'll be worth it! ^_-

Dave
May 28th, 2004, 04:57
any offers?

WuTAN
May 28th, 2004, 05:11
try ebay!!

WuTAN
May 28th, 2004, 06:46
i just know myself too well, if i didn't buy it now, i would have spent the cash on something silly. i'm just trying to pass on some useful info, do with it what you want.

Chiara
May 28th, 2004, 07:18
i also need £££ before i can benefit from the good Yen rate.

my friend told me i should sell my eggs.

he's such a sensitive boy.

Mere
May 28th, 2004, 11:09
I've found that the exchange rate is better when you change money in Japan versus changing money in the U.S. There's more fees here (don't know if it's the same for Australia or the U.K.).

I don't know if we'll have time to change money when we first arrive (during orientation), but it would be nice!

Granted I always bring SOME local currency when I travel. I'll just have to bring more this time. $$$

~Mere

Chiara
May 28th, 2004, 18:25
Oh good GOD! NO! Horrible horrible HORRIBLE!

well, it's not like i'd miss them...not like if i sold one of my kidneys...

dobharrison
May 28th, 2004, 18:35
I think its several thousand pounds, but just be aware of it.

Don't think there's much chance of that happening! Ha ha ha ha!

Imagine if kidneys ovulated like eggs! Think of all the money you could make!

yabighoor
May 28th, 2004, 18:39
I think its several thousand pounds, but just be aware of it.

Don't think there's much chance of that happening! Ha ha ha ha!

Imagine if kidneys ovulated like eggs! Think of all the money you could make!

Dob you had to lower the tone! And here we all were having a lovely converstaion :lol: .

Seriously, how much are people aiming on bringing? About £1,000? That's doable-ish!! :wink:

Chiara
May 28th, 2004, 19:03
Seriously, how much are people aiming on bringing? About £1,000? That's doable-ish!! :wink:

The way I'm going at the moment? About 50p. And a credit card.

dobharrison
May 28th, 2004, 19:10
Dob you had to lower the tone! And here we all were having a lovely converstaion :lol: .

I always aim to please. :wink:

I'm aiming for about £1000, dependant on what happens over the next few months. I'm temping so there's no guarantee I'll be working every week. And of course I have to stock up on DVDs and Gameboy games for when I'm stuck in Inaka with nothing to do.

Beq
May 28th, 2004, 20:50
I read on the JET support site that you should look to take about 200,000 yen to be safe until you get your first paycheck (depending on where you're staying, of course.) Now I don't know how much that is in pounds, but its about AU$2,500. Plus, I will probably want to buy a computer and an electronic kanji dictionary as soon as I get there, so I'm hoping to take about AU$5000...maybe I need a loan...casual teaching is an amazingly good rate, but there is so much to buy..... :wink: