PDA

View Full Version : placement highs and lows...

adammoogle
May 28th, 2004, 04:10
ok, i'll be the first to admit that when i first got my placement i wasn't too happy.

The most sparsely populated prefecture in japan!!?!? what!! 8O

known for its heavy snowfall, dense cloud cover and rain... awww come on! :(

but after a little research and finding out more details about the city i'll b in i'm quite chuffed now, look at the my pretty avatar! :)

theres mountains, an inland sea, beaches, good rail links to the rest of japan and the surrounding area looks really pretty

now i'm just wondering how everyone else feels about there placements, was it the standard happy (letter) sad (where?!?!?) happy(i'm in japan! :D) experience or what...?

professor_chimpenstein
May 28th, 2004, 04:16
I still havent actually recieved a letter - the only thing Iv got to go on is an email I recieved from apparently the Osaka City BOE to confirm my email address - so im still pretty much crappin myself here.

How many years has it been since I applied? I forget

Dave
May 28th, 2004, 04:38
Placement :Ninomiya Town, Tochigi

GOOD: :D

Near Tokyo (about 40 miles)
Central location
Fairly close to 3 national parks

BAD :(

Not by the sea
tiny place (14,000 pop.)
Can't find ANY info on the web

I'd say I'm pretty unenthusiastic about my placement so far.....but I'm not exactly disappointed. I think the more I find out the happier I will feel :)

morikyd
May 28th, 2004, 05:04
Nagano, Shiojiri

Good:
My hometown's sister-city
known for fresh fruit and noodles
has railway (only three hours from Tokyo?)
Snowboarding and skiing to be had

Bad:
The reaction I get from Japanese people when I tell them it was my request. Wrinkled noses, confusion, attempts to guide me to better places...Do they know something I don't?

r_a_y
May 28th, 2004, 05:19
Miyagi-ken, Ogatsu-cho

Good
-ummm.....
-no rent
-nice weather
-on the ocean

Bad
-everything else
-tiny "town", in the middle of nowhere
-no trains
-only 3 buses a day, and they only go to the 2 closest tiny towns
-no other jets in the town
-have to live in a dorm style apartment, which is apparently just unclean and disgusting
-pred is so bitter about her time that she is unwilling to talk about anything to me

my happyness lasted until i actually started to find out some information about what my town was like...

morikyd
May 28th, 2004, 05:30
Poor Ray!
Get yourself an international driver's liscense and you will be fine. And even dorm rooms can be fixed up with a little creativity. Just take the cash youre saving on rent and spruce it up. Ganbaru!!

VinceXII
May 28th, 2004, 06:30
I like this good/bad comparison. I'd like to see more from other people.

Here's mine:

Sashiki-cho, Okinawa-ken

Bad :cry:
- Small town (pop 11,500) (actually bad and good as I see it)
- Predecessor leaving after first year (I'd rather have a happy third year)
- Far from Japanese mainland
- Ridiculously hot and humid

Good :D
- On the ocean
- Very close to Naha
- World class SCUBA
- Famous for martial arts
- Not cold in the winter
- Laid back living (formal wear = floral patterned shirt)
- Low cost of living

I'm quite pleased with my placement and am looking forward to some awesome SCUBA.

rocky_racoon
May 28th, 2004, 08:37
gulp :? murata town miyagi prefecture

dont know whether these are good or bad but this is what i have found out so far about my town taken from the towns official homepage, i'll let you all decide:

1) population of 1156 (33 people left last year apparently)

2) it has tons of "natural scenery"overlooking the rice fields!

3) it is the strategic point for the transport of goods betwen sendai and yagamata !!

4) they have 2 festivals. One is an autumn potato party and the other isa photography contest with the theme this year being little kyoto

5) its 35 mins to sendai, the bus comes to whisk you away 3 times a day

6) the main tourist attraction is a big boulder of rock which some shogun apparently sat on 1000 years ago

7) there are under 800 houses

I SHIT YOU NOT

r_a_y
May 28th, 2004, 09:20
well rr, that almost made me feel better about my placement.

looks like we're in the same boat.

i guess lots of road trips is the answer. we can go to sendai every night and get completely shitfaced.

oh, and sorry about your bad luck :(

frizbri
May 28th, 2004, 12:09
I've been placed in Koshigaya-shi in Saitama. I was really expecting to be somewhere in Kyushu so I was at first pretty surprised and a little disappointed... spent a year in Kumamoto so know and like Kyushu.

However, good things about Koshigaya:
- 40 mins by train to central Tokyo
- population of 300,000
- the city theme is 'A vigorous, culturally-oriented city that cares for its citizens and is blessed with ample water and lush greenery' - sounds good
- there is an official city song :)
- in the past, JET apartments have come fully furnished
- 3 Japanese friends living within about 30 mins

The only bad point so far is that my friend who is also going will be somewhere in Nagasaki.

VinceXII
May 28th, 2004, 16:43
gulp :? murata town miyagi prefecture
1) population of 1156 (33 people left last year apparently)
7) there are under 800 houses

Hey, there are lots of upsides to a small town. Everyone will know you. You'll get a lot of attention. You'll probably be better cared for than most. Rent will most likely be low, as will most other expenses. You can save lots of money to spend on a car that can get you to a bigger city where you can proceed to get shitfaced...

So, as Monty would say, "Always look on the bright side of life."

Good luck,

Vince 12

Dynamis
May 28th, 2004, 17:39
Yay!! I got my letter

Fukuoka?? Is that some kind of swear word??

Not Kansai... aww..

Hey, people say good things about Fukuoka, yay!

Pluto is closer than Tokyo, aww

Its hot, aww

Its not cold, yay

Sinbad
May 28th, 2004, 17:41
I've been placed somewhere in Fukui-Ken (north chubu).

At first I was dissapointed, as this was not one of my 3 choices. The guides books don't seem to say much about it, and there's not much on the web either.

HOWEVER - after getting in contact with some people who live there, I am really looking forward to it. It's off the beaten track- so doesn't get hoards of tourists, it's got some beautiful coastline and beaches, it's got some skiiing, and is right next door to Gifu-Ken (loads of skiiing) and close to the Japanese Alps, and its got loads of beautiful lakes and scenery. Perfect for an outdoor lover like myself.

Plus it's only about 1.5 hours from Kyoto, 2 hours from Osaka, and 3.5 hours via the shinkansen to Tokyo.

Apparently, most people in Fukui ken recontract for at least a second year, so it must be a fairly nice place to live.

bring it on...

jane_is_ace
May 29th, 2004, 04:10
At first I was concerned that the place would seem deserted to me. The my mum pointed out that since Oto Village has 3200 people, thats 2900 more than the place I grew up in, so it will probably seem quite large!

No dissapointment with me, 'cause I was just so chuffed to have final confirmation that I'm going!

Elmo_Chic
May 29th, 2004, 11:59
I am going to Chubu region, Aichi Prefecture, Nagoya (I hope i got that all right).

:D Great
It is a large city - 4th largest city in Japan (I am a city kinda person)
Lots of transport available
On the major train line - only 2hrs to Tokyo
Close to my school
I read somewhere that the Aichi prefecture is a good spot for car stuff - so my bf loves me even more :P Hmmm this may not be a good thing - his friends are a bit too excited that i am going to Japan coz to them Japan = car stuff!!!

:( Not so great
Well to be honest i can't think of anything bad yet! Give me some time.

NSboarderchic
May 29th, 2004, 14:02
Hokkaido

Good:
It's where I requested, snowboarding, cold weather, etc., etc.

Bad:
I still don't know where the hell I'm going to be. I'm blaming this all on my inept post office. *mumbles several curse words under breath*[/u]

kellicopter
May 29th, 2004, 18:37
hey all

so im going to tokushima, shikoku

good stuff

* i seem to have a nice house that has cheap rent and is furnished.
* i live at the foot of beautiful mountains
* I am 40 min. away from a city(tokushima) that has almost everything
* i get great vacation time
* i am 2 hrs away from main kansai area (kobe, osaka, kyoto)
* I have a very helpful pred.
* i work half days on a friday (but see the worrying stuff about my
schedule)
* the jets in tokushima seem very helpful and friendly, many have got
hold of me already
* great orientation parties seem to be plnned for august
* i get august off and only have to go to work first 2 days i m there and
then only start work in sept....

worrying stuff---dont really know if it is going to bad yet

* my house is huge and i fear i may feel lonely
* pred. is leaving after one year--she says it is coz of boyfriend but i
would have liked a happy 3 year pred.
* my schedule is not at one school rather a JHS, 2 elementary, 2
kindergartens and a language college, so lots of travelling and will have
to get a car...(which i did not really want). the college class in on
wednesday evening so i work on wed until 9.30 pm. but get half day
friday so maybe a good trade off
* i am 2 hrs from a swimming beach--i wanted the swimming beach to be
on my door step

so there. ive basicallytold you guys the whole run of what i know so far

bye
kell
l

Hannah
May 29th, 2004, 18:59
Hi Kell,

Sounds alright to me! You're sorted gal! You must be feeling quite confident with all the info you have. :)

I haven't had a lot from my pred. She only seems to check her email once a week, which is really frustrating! Especially as I found out so early! (Just as well!)

Also, I am starting to get worried that there are hardly any JETs in my area :( I only know of one other ITIL JET going to Nara pref.

There is only one other JET in my city (Gojo, Nara pref). I wonder how easy it is to make Japanese friends? of course I want to, but it would really help having some other JETs around!

You must have asked some probing questions! I didn't like to ask why my pred was leaving (She has only stayed one year as well, what does this mean?!!)

What did you ask?

Hannah X

PS You are welcome to come and stay at my place! Aparently it is nice and quite western to Japanese standards... I know nothing more!

kellicopter
May 29th, 2004, 19:33
hi hannah

i asked---WHY ARE YOU LEAVING AFTER ONE YEAR?

hehe
what i did was i mailed her and in the introduction i said "these are all the questions i can think of so i am just going to ask please feel free to answer those you want to and those that you think are none of my business just ignore them"

and then i asked absolutely everything....even down to which gyno. she goes to (HEHE)
my pred. is a real swetie and she answered everything i asked--which i did not really expect

hannah---u must come visit me too

kell---who is loving her pred..

Alex
May 29th, 2004, 19:38
Taking over a placement from a 3yr-er versus a 1yr-er... Hmm.... difficult to know which is better..

If you take over from a 1yr then you may have 'smaller shoes' to step into - if you know what I mean. After 3yrs you likely to have your lesson plans down to a fine art and be totally proficient in what is expected from you, and if you haven't ever taught before (like me) it might be a little daunting taking over from where they left off...

But then a 3yr will hopefully have settled enough to have a nice apartment, be generally happy with their placement and leaving for all the right reasons (ie. they HAVE to go!).

Mind you - WHO KNOWS??!!

BTW - (back to the original thread) I'm in Kumamoto City and my pred has been there for 3 years apparently (haven't heard from them yet though). Highs & lows... I think I'll reserve judgement until I'm back in England ;-)

cottamg
May 29th, 2004, 22:01
hey all

so im going to tokushima, shikoku

good stuff

* i seem to have a nice house that has cheap rent and is furnished.
* i live at the foot of beautiful mountains
* I am 40 min. away from a city(tokushima) that has almost everything
* i get great vacation time
* i am 2 hrs away from main kansai area (kobe, osaka, kyoto)
* I have a very helpful pred.
* i work half days on a friday (but see the worrying stuff about my
schedule)
* the jets in tokushima seem very helpful and friendly, many have got
hold of me already
* great orientation parties seem to be plnned for august
* i get august off and only have to go to work first 2 days i m there and
then only start work in sept....

worrying stuff---dont really know if it is going to bad yet

* my house is huge and i fear i may feel lonely
* pred. is leaving after one year--she says it is coz of boyfriend but i
would have liked a happy 3 year pred.
* my schedule is not at one school rather a JHS, 2 elementary, 2
kindergartens and a language college, so lots of travelling and will have
to get a car...(which i did not really want). the college class in on
wednesday evening so i work on wed until 9.30 pm. but get half day
friday so maybe a good trade off
* i am 2 hrs from a swimming beach--i wanted the swimming beach to be
on my door step

so there. ive basicallytold you guys the whole run of what i know so far

bye
kell
l

Basically similar to kell :) (except I'll be in Yabu-shi in Hyogo)...

and I don't know the JET that is leaving.. although the JET that I did manage to contact is heading off after his 2nd year... so it can't be that bad... :P

kellicopter
May 29th, 2004, 22:17
hey

do your own leg work--just copying me and saying ditto is not good enough
i spent hrs composing that post

hehe :wink:

u seem to be about 3/4 hrs way from me....so come to my party in august

god i am i really going to have this party..it seesm to be getting out of hand

kell

kellicopter
May 29th, 2004, 22:19
sorry above post was for cottamg

cottamg
May 29th, 2004, 22:25
hey

do your own leg work--just copying me and saying ditto is not good enough
i spent hrs composing that post

hehe :wink:

u seem to be about 3/4 hrs way from me....so come to my party in august

god i am i really going to have this party..it seesm to be getting out of hand

kell

awww... but everything you said was far better than I could come up with...

And party?.. sure!!! I'll be there... I'll have one as well and you can come to that! :)

Hell we could even make it fancy dress and make Hannah and Dob come dressed as angels :P

Hannah
May 30th, 2004, 03:01
Yey, fancy dress party! :D

What's everyone coming as?

* Hannah Angel of course!
* Dob you can borrow my spare Angel costume or come up with yer own idea!
* Gareth Little devil!

Here we go.......... :roll:

VinceXII
May 30th, 2004, 05:11
If you take over from a 1yr then you may have 'smaller shoes' to step into - if you know what I mean. After 3yrs you likely to have your lesson plans down to a fine art and be totally proficient in what is expected from you, and if you haven't ever taught before (like me) it might be a little daunting taking over from where they left off...

Great point Alex, I hadn't thought of that. Hooray for lowered expectations!

-V12

tvanhorne
April 8th, 2005, 18:48
bump

Just a little something for this year's applicants to look forward to. :lol:

Ini
April 9th, 2005, 00:59
wait until you find about the local nationalist party, if you're not a big bloke you are in trouble

Dave
April 13th, 2005, 09:40
Placement :Ninomiya Town, Tochigi

GOOD: :D

Near Tokyo (about 40 miles)
Central location
Fairly close to 3 national parks

BAD :(

Not by the sea
tiny place (14,000 pop.)
Can't find ANY info on the web

I'd say I'm pretty unenthusiastic about my placement so far.....but I'm not exactly disappointed. I think the more I find out the happier I will feel :)

hey it`s funny to look back on that. :D
I now LOVE my placement so much, I wouldn`t want to be anywhere else.
It`s true that my town is pretty small....and it`s further drom Tokyo than I thought (not neccessarily a bad thing), but that`s all part of the charm.
Everyone here has been so welcoming and the kids are just fantastic! Also, because it`s a small town (actually it`s 3 villages separeted by a kilometers of rice paddeis) everyone knows me and says hello. :)
I`m soooooo pleased I`m the Ninomiya-machi no ALT :D

progaijin
May 30th, 2005, 14:40
I didn't have a predecessor, so I didn't learn anything about my town, which is probably good. Don't worry too much about the descriptions or info you find about your placement, and especially don't worry about what other people say about it. People always have different interpretations and emotions about things, and people never agree what's good or bad. It'll all be up to you. I've seen JETs in amazing placements that always want something else, and there's people like me, in a tiny fishing town with nobody around for kilometers, who love it and stay the 3 years wanting more. I'm sure not happy to be leaving, but I know all the n00bs are going to have a great time here.

Spiffae
June 7th, 2005, 03:56
Placement: Hiroshima-ken, Osakikamishima-machi

PRO:
Small mountainous island off the coast of Hiroshima
Free rent
Get to have a scooter to get around
Apartment comes with TV, Phone, AC/Heat, Washer, etc
Warm Winters

CON:
Small mountainous island off the coast of Hiroshima
No predecessor contact (so far - contact me!!)
Working at nine different schools
Have to take a ferry to the mainland.

emski
June 7th, 2005, 04:47
No predecessor contact (so far - contact me!!)
Working at nine different schools

Yikes! Sounds like you're gonna be moving around a lot - on the plus side, variety has gotta be a good thing - and if you don't get on with any JTE you'll only be spending 1 ninth of your time in their presence.

I too have had no contact from my pred, in fact not many people have surfaced who are near to my placement (Kushikino, Kagoshima prefec) - maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

On one hand I want to be as prepared as possible and know what I'm getting into, but there's another side of me that doesn't want to spoil the surprise, not to mention a bit of arrogance in wanting to discover it all by myself... Although I have to admit, a recommended gyno/gp/dentist might come in handy (see above).

It seems that the surprise thing is winning by default though, cause no-one wants to tell me jack about my placement!

Oh and has anyone had any contact with their contracting organisation(s)? Is this allowed/encouraged?

professor_chimpenstein
June 7th, 2005, 13:29
9 schools aint so bad - Iv had seven this year and they all treat me like a king since im only with a lot of them for just one term.

2 of the seven Iv kept all year and these fortunately were my favourites from the start.

It also means that if you do ever feel stuck for a lesson plan you can always steal one that worked well in another school!

Winner! especially for lazy types such as me!

Dynamis
June 7th, 2005, 15:50
If it makes you feel any better, I've lost count of the number of school's I've visited, but its somewhere between 15 and 25. I'm fortunate to have a base school, where i spend about 1/3 of my time, but all the rest is spent entertaining screaming 6-12 year olds.

Matt

tash_bert
June 7th, 2005, 17:52
Someone in my ken now has 40 visit schools (just gone up from 35 pre-Christmas.)
So yeah 9 schools ain't too bad, sit back, chill out and thank your lucky stars you don't have to visit 40 schools!

emski
June 7th, 2005, 20:38
40 Schools takes the biscuit! - how would you even remember the names of all the JTE's, let alone students?

professor_chimpenstein
June 7th, 2005, 23:34
errrr 7 schools like i said and i still have problems

But hey jampanese names are tuff man!

Any more than 2 syllabuls and im screwed

Mika - ok!

Makiko - no chance!

Eurocaptain
June 14th, 2005, 09:38
Shiga prefecture

Higashiomi = city

Don't know anything about it other than it has a very big lake. Any help or advice would be much appreciated, cheers. :D

Doomer
September 2nd, 2005, 14:57
Shiga prefecture

Higashiomi = city

Don't know anything about it other than it has a very big lake. Any help or advice would be much appreciated, cheers. :D

Wait a minute!! Im in Shiga...where is Higashiomi? Which block are you in? I think i might know you...or i know i have at least seen you!!!