PDA

View Full Version : help calm down my paranoid friend

Quaggenzocker
December 17th, 2005, 01:06
Hello,

A friend of mine also applied for JET this year (he is going for ALT, I am going for CIR), but on his medical evaluation form he left out his past treatment for bipolar disorder. Now he's afraid that they will somehow find out about it and he won't stop fretting over it. I told him he should have been frank about it, but he didn't listen. Now I'm trying to tell him that there is no way that they can really find out. Or can they? Do they actually check your medical records or something? How could they have access to that sort of thing?

My favorite worry of his is his belief that if he gets caught he'll be put on a visa blacklist and will never get to return to Japan. Now _that_ is just silly.

December 17th, 2005, 02:08
Well, he *did* sign the medical records release, right? I think that authorizes them to view his medical history. When it came time to sign the form I was a bit hesitant, not because I have anything bad in there, but it's just so personal that I questioned whether or not I wanted people seeing my records.

I mean, hell, a bi-polar disorder isn't something you can tell an interview panel "Oops, I forgot to include that". I was so worried about being thorough that I included surgery I had when I was 5 and all the stitches I had ever gotten. Maybe medical records are something that get checked randomly, maybe he'll slip through unnoticed. But I sure as hell wouldn't call the embassy and inquire about it.

Danimalcrackers
December 17th, 2005, 02:38
No, they won't check your medical records.

However, that doesn't mean they 100% cannot find out about it. For example, I have a food allergy to certain kinds of fruit, and I went to the doctor's to get a note saying that I was okay to participate in the JET program. I asked her not to do this, but on the letter, my doctor mentioned another small and old medical problem I had as well. I told her it wasn't necessary, but she insisted that it was professionally responsible for her to give them all the facts, or some shit like that.

If your friend gets in, he's going to have to get a physical, and it's always possible that his doctor will insist on listing this treatment. Perhaps some current JETs can tell you what medical information is required after one has been short listed.

As a side note, I think it's pretty lame for someone with bipolar disorder to lie about that on their JET application. Your friend's paranoia about having his visa blacklisted is only a small preview of the kind of nonsense he's likely to think up when, or if, he makes it to Japan.