PDA

View Full Version : Seattle placement?

Nui
May 28th, 2004, 05:58
Have anyone is Seattle heard about their placement yet? Let us know where you are heading? I will try not to get jealous! I swear!

(I'm an alternate waiting for one of you to drop out so I can take your place :D )

with love,
Nui

Rantai
May 28th, 2004, 07:22
No, gosh sarn it all, I ain't heard. It's making me all a-jitter over here! Every day I have three different relatives calling me going, "Didja get it? Didja get it?" And guess what? I DIDJN'T GOT IT!

Hello, by the way. I'm Nassir Isaf, 22, University of Washington soon-to-be alumnus. I was short-listed, so you're outta luck with me, Nui. Terrible sorry...

Arwen
May 28th, 2004, 07:39
I finally e-mailed Lynn yesterday and she said she sent out packets on the 26th so they should be here soon :) She was nice enough to tell me what prefecture and city I was going to be in though. I can't wait to get back to Seattle!

shmousie
May 28th, 2004, 10:01
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who hasn't heard. Thanks for the information, Arwen . . . now I just have to hope that I won't find out later than everyone else because I was an alternate!

akira
May 28th, 2004, 10:09
Placed today (from Seattle)!

Hyogo ken, Sasayama shi

The town website has a dancing mayor. I'm in love.

http://www.city.sasayama.hyogo.jp/emachgy.html

monkeyfeet
May 28th, 2004, 13:20
well, i haven't gotten the official packet yet (and really, i'm not going to hold my breath since the usps just neglected to deliver my acceptance packet. i'm hoping they won't pull a repeat perfomance.), but on monday i got an email from the ALT advisor at my BOE... i'm going to kurayoshi-shi, tottori-ken.

i guess it rains a lot there, so i suppose it'll kinda be like seattle, but, um, without the ppl. and with more snow. actually, kurayoshi has a sister city in korea which is in turn a sister city of wenatchee... so, err, by the transitive property it might be like wenatchee? i dunno, i don't really know how the whole sister-city thing works.

good luck, nui!!! i hope you get some good news soon!!!

Xeno
May 28th, 2004, 13:34
I wonder if some of Seattle Jets are more likely to be placed in Kobe-shi, Hyogo-ken because of sister city things. :roll:

koitten
May 28th, 2004, 13:54
Got mine today, too.

Otaru-shi, HOKKAIDO - My first choice! :D

katharine
May 28th, 2004, 14:39
That's funny you say that, Xeno. I was thinking about that today cause my placement city is the sister city of the lovely Camas, Washington. I really hope that's not the only reason they put me there. :evil:

Rantai
May 29th, 2004, 01:25
Wanchu! Sayo-gun in Hyogo! I wanted to be a little more northernly, but other than that, it looks about right. Problem is, I can't find anything interesting about it online... hmm... there must be something...

Okay, and what the hell does "-gun" mean?

Syrinx
May 29th, 2004, 01:37
Just got my placement packet in the mail yesterday - I'm placed in Hyogo-ken as a prefectural JET, so it sounds like I may not know the town for quite a while. But it's nice to have some idea anyway - Washington state is Hyogo's sister state, but I doubt I'll end up in Kobe since I'm not actually from Seattle...

akira, awesome that you're placed in Sasayama. It's the sister city of where I used to live (Walla Walla) and the Taiko drum troupe that came to WW and performed is what began my interest in Japan, and eventually JET!

Xeno
May 29th, 2004, 01:39
Gun means like county, I guess. It'd sound more inaka for Japanese since gun is little far from major cities. :roll: You can find out on a J-map though you should know the kanji. :wink:

akira
May 29th, 2004, 03:20
Just so happens I used to date a girl at Whitman (while I was an undergrad at UW) so I've made plenty of trips to the home of the lovely Walla Walla sweet onion.

I've even got a shirt with the words "Enjoy Walla Walla" in the classic Coca-Cola font, the kids'll love it. -haha

Syrinx
May 29th, 2004, 03:53
:lol: I remember those shirts. And the sweet smell of onions in the air in the summertime when they harvested them... I'm a Whitman alum myself (graduated 4 years ago though, so haven't been back over there in a while).

Nui
May 29th, 2004, 04:18
Congrats to all of you!!! I'm so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if they can hurry up and upgrade me I'll be even happier!!! :D

Nui

shmousie
June 3rd, 2004, 23:52
I finally found out last night. Kobe city, Hyogo prefecture! Sounds like a lot of Seattle JETs are in Hyogo. I'm interested in the fact that they placed me in the sister city of Seattle and not Yashiro, which is Olympia's sister city (Olympia being my hometown). I'm sure they didn't put all that much thought into it, but the choice is interesting nonetheless.

Nui
June 5th, 2004, 05:15
I just got upgraded this morning!!!! Don't know yet where I'm going to be, but I don't really care at this point......just glad that I'm going to Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Can't stop smiling!

Nui

Nui
June 5th, 2004, 05:38
Thanks, Paul!!!