PDA

View Full Version : Predecessors

yabighoor
May 28th, 2004, 18:36
Hi there guys, just wondering has you predecessor gotten in touch with you yet? I think mine may be a bit of a lazy arse!!

lorenzokenzo
May 28th, 2004, 18:49
I've been really lucky with my pred and i've even arranged to go out for a meal with her sometime in August

She's leaving me 2 fish aquariums, loads of plants, a hot plate, microwave and an electric toothbrush..all for free

I admit i thought the tootbrush thing was weird until she said it came with new attachments.

BTW - I found her on a small Wakayama pref. Yahoo group, so it might be an idea to search there for your placement.

My pred. still hasn't received any information on me from JET yet, so dont worry too much.

yabighoor
May 28th, 2004, 18:59
Cheers man!

Chiara
May 28th, 2004, 19:01
Toyama BOE hasn't yet seen fit to let me know where exactly I'm placed, or let the current JETs know who's going to replace them... don't worry, I'm sure they'll get in touch soon!

Dynamis
May 28th, 2004, 19:06
Yeah, im in the same boat. Just know my prefecture, and not heard from my pred yet.

I joined the Fukuoka yahoo group today, hopefully ill have some luck on there. Seems like theres a yahoo group for most prefectures, so might be worth everyone trying it.

Matt

Beq
May 28th, 2004, 20:26
My pred emailed me today, only 2 days after I found out where I'm going! Really made my day to open my email and see "Welcome to Saganoseki" there. I didn't get very much detail, but she did say how beautiful the area is, and that I'm the only JET in the machi - but that the nearest is only 15mins drive away. Finally! INFORMATION!

adammoogle
May 29th, 2004, 03:47
according to my insider information lots of prefectures havn't decided which of there jets is going where...

also, even if you know what town or city or village your going to the city probably hasn't decided which school they'll be sending you to and hence your pred will still have no idea who is coming to take there place...

dosn't make the waiting any easier though :o

snzuul
May 29th, 2004, 08:25
I was lucky too- my pred e-mailed me early this week.

I actually get a choice of inheriting his old "slightly run-down" 5-room house, or moving to a new apartment and shelling out 2000 bucks in key-money.

What do you think I'm gonna do? :D

Hannah
May 29th, 2004, 19:11
I'd go for the new apartment! Crazy I know, but the idea of moving into a skanky run down place (no matter how many rooms) in a strange place is scary!

Hannah X

Dave
May 29th, 2004, 19:32
Does anyone know what the chances are of not having a pred? I still haven't heard anything..... :?

adammoogle
May 29th, 2004, 19:59
Does anyone know what the chances are of not having a pred? I still haven't heard anything.....

see above

also, even if you know what town or city or village your going to the city probably hasn't decided which school they'll be sending you to and hence your pred will still have no idea who is coming to take there place...

I pity the fool who dosn't read the thread, the whole thread and nothing but the thread!!!!

Dave
May 29th, 2004, 20:07
um...okay....I was just testing!
:oops:

Chiara
May 29th, 2004, 20:17
I pity the fool who dosn't read the thread, the whole thread and nothing but the thread!!!!

I think you'll find that's "pity the foo'" ;)

kellicopter
May 29th, 2004, 20:56
hey

my pred. got hold of me a day after my embassy phoned to tell me where i wil be going

she has been really helpful and answered all my annoying questions

she is also giving me everything in the house( tv, microwave, washing machine, furniture, bicylce) i dont know how much she paid for but i think it is cool im getting stuff like that for free

the only thing she aked me is if i want to go half with her on YahooBB(ADSL connection) and then she will transfer it to my name and if i dont she said no worries she will just cancel it
I think going half is a pretty fair deal

i will never meet her as she is leaving a week before i get there and she is from california, which is a pity coz im sure a owe her dinner and tons of drinks
i think ill post her a pressie

kell

adammoogle
May 29th, 2004, 20:57
I think you'll find that's "pity the foo'

no no no!!!

as an avid A team fan and murdock wannabe there was definately an l on the end...

if were getting technical it might have been 'i pid'y d fool' :P

...oh no fair, its time for me to go back to my cell now :cry:

Paper
May 31st, 2004, 15:20

I actually get a choice of inheriting his old "slightly run-down" 5-room house, or moving to a new apartment and shelling out 2000 bucks in key-money.

As your Pred what he/she would do. Given the lack of detail, I'd personally go with a house. Apartments suck if the walls are thin, or if you have to share a toilet or something weird. Apartments are usually smaller too. With a house, you can have many guests over and have your music louder. Also, a house usually means you have some sort of yard, excellent if you like gardening, lounging, BBQing, etc.

morikyd
May 31st, 2004, 15:45
Papers advice sounds wise.
I really wish I had a pred to answer the following simple questions.
How much set up cash do I need?
How many schools and what age do I have?
Should I get a car?
What is the house/apartment/rabbit hutch like?
What are you giving/selling me?

I think my info greed would then be satiated, at least for a week...

I know someone on Bigdaikon who lives in the same city. I want to wring information about who is leaving from him, but I am restraining myself. I dont want to be a complete pest. Dont know how long I will last though.

MrSnrub
May 31st, 2004, 15:56
I sort of have two preds as I believe one position in my town is going to another. When they first contacted me they didn't have my name, just and email address and sketchy info (sex, nationality). Apparently my application will only turn up in a couple of weeks. In that case you're pred (to OP) may not be indifferent just may not have gotten hold of the info.

Jay
May 31st, 2004, 17:11
kellicopter

Wow, sounds like you have quite the deal there. I can only hope my predecessor will be as kind as yours!

hik
June 1st, 2004, 01:01
I just received a package from my BOE with contract information, letter from the BOE, and a letter from my predecessor. A pleasant surprise getting all of this today when I thought the postal system was on holiday.

I'm heading to a small town (~6000) so they may be pretty organized.

Now that I'm wrapping my school year -- graduated all of the students and (almost) finished with grading -- I can start thinking about all of this. I'm definitely getting excited now.

--hikaru

Cornelius
June 1st, 2004, 01:55
Hi there guys, just wondering has you predecessor gotten in touch with you yet? I think mine may be a bit of a lazy arse!!

I've heard nothing as yet. I'm of the opinion that they may still be trying to place us, so we probably won't hear for a couple of weeks...

*sigh*

cottamg
June 1st, 2004, 02:05

hey.. are you going to Yabu-shi in Hyogo-ken? :)

snzuul
June 1st, 2004, 02:16
Cottamg: Nope, I'm going to Mikawa-machi in Yamagata-ken :)

Ageha
June 1st, 2004, 03:29
Heh, interestingly enough, I got in touch with my predecessor. To a certain extent. Buried 18 pages in the results from typing in "Hanzancho" into google I came across the moblog of a girl there. It happened to say that after two years she was leaving so I thought "Hey, maybe this girl is my predecessor". Unfortunately, there wasn't any kind of contact information and to leave a comment you had to be signed up with something called text america. However, she'd linked the blog of one of her friends, who I contacted and who contacted my predecessor for me. I think I freaked her out just a little. *^^*
Anyway, I only found out a few days ago and as she was the first JET to live in Hanzan she wasn't sure if she was supposed to write one of those long letters explaining everything. She did give me a general idea of what to expect (the best news was my rent :D), but I sent her quite a long list of detailed questions. Poor girl must think I'm insane.

Dynamis
June 1st, 2004, 20:04
Respect on your dectective work, Ageha. You're a psychopath after my own heart!! :lol:

Matt

yorkie
June 2nd, 2004, 19:29
I know I'm off to Yamaguchi Prefecture...but that's all I know!!! Should I be scared yet..or is it normal to have to wait a bit for information?

Dynamis
June 2nd, 2004, 22:04
I wouldn't worry just yet. Quite a few people only know their prefectures (me included).

Matt

Dave
June 2nd, 2004, 22:04
Wahey!
I've just been contacted by my pred. :D :) :D
Apparently I'll be staying in an apartment in the centre of town and I'll probably be visiting 3 smallish junior high schools :D which is a relief as I wasn't really looking forward to the idea of having dozens of schools to go to. Also, she says the kids are great which is good to hear!
The slightly less pleasing news is that she says it can be difficult living in Ninomiya without a car....and I don't drive :? 8O :cry:
I looks like I'll have to be home by 10 at the latest due to rail/bus connections unless I can blag a lift off somebody - this can't be good for pub nights!
Anyway...I'm just chuffed to hear some news :D .

Dulcinea
June 3rd, 2004, 07:51
I also contacted my pred. Through the Hokkaido section of the site Paper put me in touch with him. I've emailed him several times now, once with about one hundred questions. He's really nice and patient, and likes Atsuma a lot. He recontrated for three years.

The best news is not only do I pay a low rent (and get a new apartment), but I also get a free car along with gas! (I'm pretty sure according to his last email.)

:D

He's very nice, and will still be there when I arrive so he can show me the ropes. (probably.)

gan8sha
June 5th, 2004, 01:34
I got a note from my pred today saying that he would e-mail me soon with more detail because he's on vacation... I can't wait until he gets back to Hobara! I did get a packet of information from the BOE though, so I did get a lot of my questions answered.

The town I am in, Hobara in Fukushima-ken, has a population of ~27,000 and is close to the capital city of Fukushima. I will be living in a house and the BOE provides a washing machine, air conditioning, fridge, microwave, TV, and a phone. :D

Not too bad so far. :) :)

llumynia
June 8th, 2004, 13:51

cottamg
June 8th, 2004, 17:29
My pred is the most awesomest pred ever. Not only is he giving me a lot of stuff, he's so incredibly helpful and as nice as can be. I'm so happy! We even get fishies that he was taking care of. We love fishies. ^_^

Doesn't it suck waiting between emails though? I email him so much and then check my email over and over.... hmm.... sounds like when I was waiting for placement... interview... acceptance.... this is the madly checking email year...

I'm still waiting to find out who my pred is... although I did manage to stalk a few of the JET's currently in the area I'm being sent. :)

They all love it, and as soon as they find out who I'm replacing they'll make sure that person gets in touch.

:) sweeeet!