PDA

View Full Version : which mailbox?

curstilace
January 24th, 2006, 05:29
the us interview letters should be arriving in the mailboxes of prospective jets (e.g. myself) in the coming days, and i was wondering if anyone knew just which mailbox i should be checking. on my app i listed my permanent address (my parents') and my current address (my apartment). also, i was reading on bd that e-mail notifications may be sent out. i'd really appreciate it if anyone out there can give me some info as to which mailbox my jet letter will be sent to. thanks!!

Cynthia
January 24th, 2006, 07:29
I *think* it's your current address...

Why does one year ago seem like it was forever?

Doomer
January 24th, 2006, 13:07

Culture shock? Time flys when youre having fun...but if your not... :(

January 24th, 2006, 18:09
:)

Cynthia
January 24th, 2006, 18:17

Culture shock? Time flys when youre having fun...but if your not... :(

I think my brain is rotting.

think_balance
January 24th, 2006, 20:10
This might take a lot of time, effort, money, man power, problem solving, and elbow grease, but perhaps you could check both mailboxes?

For some of us, like myself, that could be very difficult. I'm in France right now teaching English and I put my couisn's address as my permanent address and my address here as my current address. I am hoping the send mail to my cousin's house because getting mail here in France adds a week to the delivery time...

This waiting is driving me mad!!

t_b

curstilace
January 24th, 2006, 23:32
This might take a lot of time, effort, money, man power, problem solving, and elbow grease, but perhaps you could check both mailboxes?

Easier said than done. I live about an hour from my parents' house, and I only make it out there about once a week.

Faustus
January 25th, 2006, 07:31
And they can't just... I dunno... call you if your letter shows up and read it to you over the phone, if need be? The France thing makes sense, but I was at university some nine hours' drive away from my listed permanent address, and I still managed to find out about my interview. Just pick up the phone and give your parents a call every couple of days to see if it's come yet.

tash_bert
January 25th, 2006, 08:58
And they can't just... I dunno... call you if your letter shows up and read it to you over the phone, if need be? The France thing makes sense, but I was at university some nine hours' drive away from my listed permanent address, and I still managed to find out about my interview. Just pick up the phone and give your parents a call every couple of days to see if it's come yet.

mouth, words, took, the, out, You, right, of, my, .

Please re-arrange the above, to form a sentence....

dobharrison
January 25th, 2006, 09:11
mouth, words, took, the, out, You, right, of, my, .

Please re-arrange the above, to form a sentence....

Words! You took my mouth right out!

Yeah, I cheated...

curstilace
January 25th, 2006, 13:57
esid... given my relationship with my parents, i prefer not to call them if i really don't have to. that's mainly why i asked the question in the first place. i figured that it was pretty straightforward - eg, if someone who applied last year had 2 different addresses, they could just post back, saying "well i got my notification at ____ address."

Faustus
January 25th, 2006, 23:19
JET sent everything except my self-addressed envelope to my permanent address (i.e. the Parental Unit). Might want to take a couple of deep breaths and brace yourself for whatever's likely to be waiting when you call them.

Think of it this way: I don't know what the deal is with you and your parents, but if you go to Japan, you'll be thousands of miles away and likely won't even see them for at least a year. Calling them to find out if you got an interview that might facilitate this fantastic plan of escape is probably worth gritting your teeth and bearing. If you really can't handle that, e-mail. Or send a smoke signal. Or go home a couple of times- you only live an hour away. Heck, if you have siblings at home, get in touch with them and have them keep you updated.

But yes, unless they've changed the way they do things, all of the Really Important pieces of paper will wind up getting sent to your permanent address, presumably because they don't want anyone changing dorm rooms or something and not getting it. Definitely get in touch with your folks soon-ish, though; I remember only having a couple of weeks between my notification and the actual interview (I was in NYC). They cut it really close, and you'll want as much notice as you can get so you can get a suit or do a practice interview or pick your nose or do whatever you need to do to get ready.

January 26th, 2006, 00:19

dobharrison
January 26th, 2006, 00:23
It costs double for mail-checking, though. Could be a bit too much for someone I'm assuming is a student.

curstilace
January 26th, 2006, 02:43
hiring a hit man would be risky because i could possibly be implicated, and that would definitely screw up my plans with jet. i prefer the tried and true method of old age... if all else fails that usually works. :wink:

btw... thanks faustus... i will now stop running down to my apartment mailbox every hour, and make the dreaded phone call to my loving parents to see if it got there.

TomB
January 26th, 2006, 03:01
Okay, Word of advice for all future applicants. Get a PO Box someplace where you have readily available access. Put that as your Permanent and current address. When the notices come it'll come there.