View Full Version : Life After JET

February 5th, 2006, 22:17
I will leave JET this summer but I would like to remain in Japan.

I was informed by JET that once my contract expires I will have to depart this land.

I was sceptical because I know JET has a habit of giving information that suggests a course they want you to take rather than offering potential options.
My visa is of course the 3 year instructor visa.

It seems that it is still valid to remain and work in Japan but that some companies do not welcome applications from ex-JETs.
I was told this is because the 3 year instructor visa is rare and is only really given to JETs.
When the JET decides not to recontract the government would like to see them leave even though time remains on the visa.
I was also told that government pressures the large private English schools into not hiring JETs because of this.

Has anyone heard anything to confirm or rebuke this?


February 6th, 2006, 00:32
I've heard of a lot of people getting jobs in Japan after JET! Sounds like bullshit to me. Who's been telling you this?

February 6th, 2006, 04:46
I talked with a couple of people I work with that did the Eikawa gig. They told me that their first visa was for 1 year but when they renewed they were given the option of 1, 3, or 5 year. It all depends on what your current employer will sponsor you for. Since most of the English jobs I've seen outside of JET require you to already be in Japan with an active work visa I don't think it would be a problem using the last two years of your JET visa.


February 6th, 2006, 11:42

I am a second year jet. My visa will have just 1 year remaining.

February 7th, 2006, 12:15
Mate if you are no longer employed by MEXT (corrent sponsor of Jet visa) then I do believe you visa will not be valid, which is why they state in all contracts you have up to one month to depart the country otherwise it gets complicated. However if you find new employment in Japan you will be issued with a brand new visa by your new employer. Your Jet visa will no longer exist because MEXT aren't sponsoring you anymore. This is what I've heard.

February 7th, 2006, 12:22
Yeah, you're instructor visa only qualifies you to work as an "instructor". As I understand it, that is NOT a teacher. I think an "instructor" is basically a teaching assistant.

So, while your visa doesnt qualify you to teach for an eikaiwa, it does give you chance to look for a job that will sponsor you for a normal work visa. Once you have one of those, you can quit your job and keep the visa. A lot of people use NOVA for that purpose.

February 7th, 2006, 19:42
'Tis true! Our visas are valid for 3 years and they belong to us, not our employers. Hence, they remain valid even if you quit JET before doing 3 years.

February 9th, 2006, 07:25
So we can stay for up to 30 days after our contract is finished, to do some travelling or whatnot?

February 9th, 2006, 07:55
When I started my new job I had to get a new visa my sponsor(my new job) changed it. The original was expiring anyway. I knew a guy from Fukuoka who misinterpreted the thirty day thing (you have to apply and pay for an extension visa) and left about 3 days after his Jet Visa expired. At this stage he is still black-marked on returning to Japan because of his over staying.

June 5th, 2008, 09:57
As I understand it, you can stay in the country with your visa (assuming you still have time left on it) and if you get a new employer you just have to "update" your visa with your new employer's name (as sponser). It was covered at my prefecture's returners' conference.

So we can stay for up to 30 days after our contract is finished, to do some travelling or whatnot?

The 30 days is the amount of time JET allows you stay. So, you can stay up to 30 days and JET will still pay for your flight home. It has nothing to do with your visa though. So if you're a first year or second year JET, you'll be fine, but if you're a third year JET you'll need to renew your visa in order to stay in the country legally.

June 5th, 2008, 11:41
Sorry, pet hate time.
JETs are not employed by MEXT. They are not employed by JET.
They are employed by boards of education. Those boards of education set the rules (which is why each contract is a bit different) and they decide how much money you get to go home etc.
Some things are standard, like the 30 days to leave once your contract finishes and having your airfare paid by your CO.

June 12th, 2008, 10:45
Ok, so to clarify:

You can stay in Japan travelling longer than thirty days after you JET contract finishes without changing your visa status (for 1st / 2nd yrs), right? (although of course BOE won't pay your airfare) you wouldn't be breaking the law would you because you still have a valid visa?

If you get a new job you must update your visa with the new employer, but if you still have one / two years remaining on your JET visa you don't have to actually get a new visa, right?

sorry if all this is obvious from the above, but I wanted to check. :?: