PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Worries

jane_is_ace
May 29th, 2004, 03:52
Ok, so all the incoming JETS probably have ridiculous worries that have absolutely no foundation in reality. Mine is that I will be so incapeable of finding a food shop that I will starve to death and no one will know it. :oops:

So what's your ridiculous worry? What is it that consumes you in the middle of the night, or more importantly, during the day when you should be revising for finals?

starnia
May 29th, 2004, 04:26
That I will not be able to carry my insane suitcases, I will be robbed, and will not have my cast-iron griddle with which to make tortillas!

IowaJET
May 29th, 2004, 05:32
My worry is that I will be one of the ones sent to schools all over, I want 1-3 schools, tops! And I fear getting to school...all of the commute options, I want to live close to school.
I fear that one of my relatives will die, and I won't be able to go to the funeral.

kellicopter
May 29th, 2004, 06:08
oh god where to start ...where to start

well i will be doing my thesis in JPN and im freaking out that i will not cope and fail and waste my time and the oppurtunity

i think that is my main one
well the one for this week at least

kell

Laura
May 29th, 2004, 06:26
Yeah, I have similar fatalistic worries about relatives passing away, and being killed by an earthquake/tsunami/ or on the flight there/back. I also worry about nobody liking me (sob!) and talking in Japanese behind my back (or to my face!). Getting really ill is a worry too, or having an allergic reaction to a mukade bite. Umm, being a generally incompetent fool who is crippled by homesickness might just happen too. Bleak.

r_a_y
May 29th, 2004, 06:39
spiders!

and umm, i dunno, not being able to find any good food (i'm gonna be in major inaka-ville)

dobharrison
May 29th, 2004, 07:14
being isolated because i don't drive

being veggie

having the kids throw chairs at me or punch me in the balls!

mchriste
May 29th, 2004, 07:29
my school (university not the school in Japan) screwing me over even though my records indicate all my classes are comleted and not giving me my diploma in time, of course in I talk to Jessica about it I'm sure that I'll be given leway if I can prove that yes all my classes are completed and yes the school is being a jerk and not giving me what I earned.

NSboarderchic
May 29th, 2004, 07:46
I have a fear that I'll eat too much white rice, get super bloated, and become like that 800 lb. man on Dr. Phil who can't get out of his chair.

Oh, the relative funeral thing too, and not being able to speak Japanese, living in inaka and having no social life.

Too many worries..... head...about...to....explode..... AAAHHHHHHHHH!

Chiara
May 29th, 2004, 07:55
I'm actually quite looking forwards to my first earthquake.
As long as it's a nice gentle one that doesn't hurt anyone.

Lesley
May 29th, 2004, 08:50
Hmmm... quite a few worries to choose from. My worst is probably standing up in front of the school and introducing myself. I'm not great at presentations at the best of times so giving one to an entire school and in a foreign language (maybe even more than once) is just plain scary!

I have a fear of formal public speaking so it'll be quite an accomplishment for me when I've done it. I hope it'll get easier after the first couple of times - so at least I've got some good incentive. :D

Xeno
May 29th, 2004, 12:16
I'm worrying about summer in Japan. I saw the thread on BD and it seems to be pretty damn hot and humid except cool areas like Hokkaido. Those BDers said this summer could be the hottest in last 5 years. I don't wanna melt. :cry: I hope they just exaggerated. :(

NSboarderchic
May 29th, 2004, 13:48
I'm actually quite looking forwards to my first earthquake.
As long as it's a nice gentle one that doesn't hurt anyone.

Earthquakes are secretly kinda fun. Well, once you get past the "dear god, I'm going to die" stage. :)

Granted I was only in a couple small ones....

Mere
May 29th, 2004, 14:59
Earthquakes fun? Okay, so I'm from California and evryone thinks MAJOR earthquakes happen here all of the time (they don't). But I've been in 1 MAJOR earthquake (S.F. 1990) and a few minor ones since. They are not fun at all. And I'll leave it at that cuz I don't want to freak anyone else out.

I'm most concerned about driving in Japan... I've never driven myself but I've been in plenty of cars in Japan and I must say I've seen my life flash before my eyes quite a few times (if you've never been to Japan and ridden in a car, you'll understand what I'm talking about once you arrive).

But food, language, housing weather (*sigh* I love the humid summers! Call me strange, but I'm not looking forward to the snow as I'm frequently cold- even in the summer!), teaching don't terribly bother me. I plan on tackling my first snowy winter with a gloved fist and on being able to carry at least a short conversation (vs. dialogue) with the people in my town.

Nippon, here I come! :)
~Mere

VinceXII
May 30th, 2004, 05:38
Going back home.

Soma
May 30th, 2004, 10:05
Origami Papercuts

llumynia
May 30th, 2004, 14:22
that we won't be able to find my husband a job once we get there...

Beq
May 30th, 2004, 15:04
That I won't be able to get my OCP over there, especially after getting that big printout about taking drugs into Japan, so I'd have to go see a Japanese gyno who speaks no english, and all the inherent problems there....

Oh, and having no social life. (honest, the one has nothing to do with the other! :wink: )

morikyd
May 30th, 2004, 15:53
I am afraid that I won't be a good teacher. Its funny, I have spent a great deal of time considering all sorts of bizarre aspects of my life in Japan but when it comes to imagining teaching, I get sort of a hazy, blank image...I mean, in theory, I am a great teacher...but, but...yeah, thats what makes me nervous. I really want to be good at my job. I dont really feel like I can prepare much either as I dont know how many schools I am going to, what age group and how much responsibility I'll be given....
I'll just settle into some uneasy and tormented dreams now. Night all.
:wink:

professor_chimpenstein
May 30th, 2004, 21:34
Im genrally just thinkin to myself every now and then. "what the hell are you thinking - going to the other side of the world, by yourself for whole year - you really think your gonna cope?"

So it probably more self doubt than worry

Dunno if thats a good thing or not?

James

jane_is_ace
May 31st, 2004, 01:21
yesterday i got worried about tracker bars.

i really like trackers, especially the choc chip ones. then i thought about how ma probably won't be able to post/bring such things as the chocolate would soon melt on the way over. then i thought about going a year without a choc chip tracker bar.

so i don't know, maybe self doubt is a more realistic notion than not eating a choc chip tracker bar. i'm actually quite surprised that pretty much every worry posted, i have also thought about.

i'm also now slightly worried that despite this, my main consuming thoughts tend to be how will i cope without trackers/haribo star mix/ nesquick/ revels/ milky bar choos....and the fact that I may have to walk for more than three minutes to purchase the closest japanese equivalent to the above objects. :D

Mere
May 31st, 2004, 01:51
how will i cope without trackers/haribo star mix/ nesquick/ revels/ milky bar choos....and the fact that I may have to walk for more than three minutes to purchase the closest japanese equivalent to the above objects. :D

There's quite a few "7 Eleven" shops in the big cities (a U.S. convenience chain) and Lawsons (I don't know if this is U.S. or U.K. chain...). But they have a nice selection of candies and chocolates that should satisfy your needs. Even though 7 Eleven is a U.S. chain, I noticed quite a bit of European chocolates (considering it was in Japan). I hope your worries have been somewhat lessened... :D

~Mere

jane_is_ace
May 31st, 2004, 03:00
I'm not sure about the combini prospects. The village I have been placed in has a population of 3200, so I'm not sure. But on the up side, mere, u are the second person to tell me I will find plenty of high sugar, low nutritional value foods. :D

However, I think the junk food sacrifice is going to be worth making. There's absolutely no way I'd pass up the chance to go for the sake of my daily sugar fix.

I will just have to stock up on those things i know are definatly British before I go, like sherbert pips and sugar tablet (I'm not sure if this is more of a northern England thing as opposed to British, its basically fudge, but they dont bring it to such a high heat so it's not as gooey when it sets, a bit like fudge flavour kendal mint cake, I've only ever seen it in 'local shops for local people' so to speak)

This is what I mean about ridiculous worries. I am actually spending revision time thinking about this kind of rubbish! I think i may need to seek psychological help for my sweet addiction.

professor_chimpenstein
May 31st, 2004, 03:27
But dont most shrinks have a bowl of mint imperials for when you leave.

Or am I stereotyping a little?

Apologies to all those psycologist type people out there who dont,
I didnt mean to be offensive.

Screw this - Im goin back to the PC post again

James

adammoogle
May 31st, 2004, 03:36
rediculous worries???

how about you quit your job, tell all your friends your leaving and then end up not getting your visa...

getting to japan and finding out your living in a crack house...

having no japanese speaking ability at all and been too stupid and lazy to learn any...

having no teaching experience and not liking kids...

the kids not liking you...

wait...these arn't rediculous at all!!! i need another thread :(

melanwee
May 31st, 2004, 04:56
glad to see others have equally stupid worries, my main ones are;

earthquakes (watched that stupid earthquake 10.5 thing the other day just to worry me even more)
washing my hair with moisturiser as i can't read japanese
not having anyone to talk too and spending my evenings alone (on sites like this!!)
getting shafted for key money
snow, it does not snow where i live, ever
heat, it is not hot where i live, ever (im from the uk if u hadn't already guessed!)
missing the end of big brother!!!!!
having a shit time and splitting up with my boyfriend coz i came to japan and it not being worth it

this list could go on for a long time..... maybe we should start a why are u looking forward to going thread?!

Sky
May 31st, 2004, 14:08
Not being able to get my girlfriend over there/a job or place to stay after she finishes college in January/

Getting hunted down by two VERY aggressive women that fell in love with me when I was in Japan for college, even though I CONTINUALLY have said, "tomodachi dake!" (only friends) and since broken off from them.

Not saving enough.

Parents/family dying.

Breaking taboos and not even knowing about it, in the process making everyone hate me.

Being pressured into drinking more than my share of shochu and then doing something really regrettful...

Killing myself because I've never cooked anything I bought in Japan (my host mother and sisters REFUSED to let me)

nihonnisenyonen
June 1st, 2004, 17:31
For me, the Visa has got to be the major concern.

It dosent help that I applied to NOVA a couple of months ago, then resigned from them to accept JET, so i'm worried having previously applying for a work visa might effect me.

Anyway, whatever will be will be.

Shinikenshi
June 1st, 2004, 17:51
Not getting upgraded because being in limbo sucks. :?

Assuming I do get upgraded, my only worries would be:

being somewhere really inaka (too little people could make things boring)

not being able to teach English (because some grammar rules really don't make that much sense)

having a rowdy class that makes teaching difficult

That's probably about it I suppose.

Chris

Cantdosleepflower
June 1st, 2004, 20:24
That they'll invent teleporters whilst I'm out there.

No fucking way am I using a teleporter.

Samiantha
June 25th, 2004, 07:43
1) doing something horribly offensive without realising it

2) having all the kids in all my classes stare at me blankly for one year

3) not being able to be sarcastic or make stupid jokes which is how I deal with the world

4) not being able to act rally daft, get gatted and fall out of a bar at three am because we represent the JET programme at all times (eep!)

5) That Eric Bana will not be able to find me as I will be in Japan...

dobharrison
June 25th, 2004, 09:55
3) not being able to be sarcastic or make stupid jokes which is how I deal with the world.

Don't worry, as long as you're near some fellow British people you'll be fine. My sarcasm stretches across continents so you'll probably get a bit of that too. :)

Nikbot
June 25th, 2004, 13:09
I'm worried about getting addicted to pachinko and getting arrested for no reason.

socalDave
June 25th, 2004, 15:28
Oh lets see~
1. Spiders (& misc bugs)... I f'n hate'm!
2. elementary kids giving the kancho (finger up the bum maneuver) nor can I say nut-punches would be any better
3. being one of those JETs going to 8 diff schools everyweek
4. smoking in the teachers room (aka getting hotboxed)
5. being turned down for 2,3,4,5 year renewals

AND, nihonnisenyonen, kudos on the avatar~ :D

0bvious
June 25th, 2004, 17:16
Fears?

1. Not being able to speak Japanese and becoming an illiterate, babbling fool
2. Living without cheese, or living with very poor substitute cheese
3. Eating raw horse meat (the local delicacy in Kumamoto)
4. Explaining to people that yes i do live near Manchester, but no, i don't know or even want to know David Beckham
5. Having no tea and milk
6. Getting far too into the culture and forgetting entirely where i come from

I'm glad i'm not an anti-cheese phobic, although i think i am close to one

Alex
June 25th, 2004, 22:19
2. Living without cheese, or living with very poor substitute cheese

That sums me up. How can I live without cheese? How can I take my babies with me?? parmesan, taleggio, aged cheddar, salted ricotta, emmental, gouda, goat's, stilton, manchego, pecorino, brie, gruyere, mozzarella.... and then all the delicious side products such as cheese straws, cheese bites, cheesecake... oh dear god I hadn't thought this through properly until now... :cry:

Okay, anyone want to join me in importing cheese to Japan? My boyfriend has a italian deli/pizza delivery co. and he could start by bringing over orders over in Sept... you never know - it might make me more money than teaching...

phill
June 25th, 2004, 23:38
not saving enough cash before i get there...
thus me living on the streets
being too tired to party in tokyo
and being a crappy alt

cpwatkins21
June 28th, 2004, 17:11
I'm worried about the fact that I'm not worried at all. I've been taking all this in stride: not ecstatically excited, not freaking out. I really ought to be frantically preparing, seeing as how I'm an alternate who was just recently upgraded. Yet here I complacently sit, on vacation, a twenty-hour drive away from home.

NSboarderchic
June 29th, 2004, 14:01
So up until yesterday I had way too many stupid worries. I went hiking near where I snowboard when it suddently hit me - they're actually PAYING me to move to Japan to live near a ski resort. HOLY SHIT!!! How sweet is that? although I still have moments where I wonder what they saw in me to actually say, "yes, let's pay this NS girl to live in an area she'd like to live in, and near a ski resort so she can keep up her snowboarding obsession."

Anyone else had these revelations?

(btw, stupid worries are still there, but I'm just more excited)

professor_chimpenstein
June 29th, 2004, 16:46
As for ridiulous worries - ever since I saw something about Mary Iv been overly scared about catching my chopper in my zipper. That one camera shot was enough to make me close all zippers slowly and carefully for the rest of my life.

On the realization thing - yeah NS I have occasional moments where I just think - unbe-fucking-lievable!!!!!

then I also have moments where I think ooooooooo shit!

and even occasional moments of whooooooooop whoooooooooop cckaaaaw ckaaaaw

Am I alone on that last one? Probably!

James

robg
July 8th, 2004, 15:58
you ever see the movie "soylent greens"? me neither, but i heard an interesting story about it. soylent greens (and other colors) is this food substitute stuff that *everyone* eats but nobody talks about. everyone has to eat it because the earth became too poisoned to sustain life. everyone eats it, but nobody talks about where it comes from...

needless to say, the fewer people there are, the better off everyone becomes. for those who despair of the drudgery of life, there is the euthanasia (youth-in-asia?!?) camp as an alternative. participants get to enjoy the very best that life has to offer...beautiful women/men, sunshine and frolic-king, rah-rah-rah. then they are "put to sleep" and "processed." this is where the soylent food stuffs come from. ewwww.

sorry, hope i didn't ruin the movie for anyone...but then again, i could be spouting ignorant gibberish since i haven't even seen the movie. but the premise is interesting nonetheless...

...now my silly fear is this: the JET program seems almost too good to be true, at least from my grimy-eyed jaded cynical point of view. what if *really* we're being sent off to some manzanar-esque labor camp making cluster bombs that look like pikachu? what if our unbridled spirits have become too much for the current dominant political system, so that in order to maintain the status quo within certain parameters it becomes necessary to purge individuals _just_like_us_! one could make an argument for the increasingly homogenized and bankrupt cultural soil in which the anglo nations seek to reap the souls of subsequent generations...the cultural soil is bankrupt, though. we're being fed dead images, recycled from the past endlessly, creating some effed-up groups of people. AND SINCE *WE* KNOW THE TRUTH, WE'RE BEING SENT OFF FOR "RE-EDUCATION"...RE-ASSIMILATION! they're in it with the aliens, see...

but that's just my silly fear.

maybe i'll show up and lose the group! maybe i'll never figure out how to speak the language! maybe i'll be a terrible teacher and the _kids_will_see_right_through_me_! what if the government denied me the visa?! what if i never get the knack of an oriental-style toilet?! what if i compulsively drop my chopsticks five minutes through every meal? what if i really *do* think i'm turning japanese i think i'm turning japanese i really think so? what if my grandmother passes away before i get a chance to fly back and see her??!? (ouch...yeah that one's real). what if i make a fool of myself? what if i can't sell my car so i have money to eat in japan? what if i get lost looking for my house after the first day of school?

man, the what-if's will kill'ya....

hehehe that was good therapy thanks ^^