PDA

View Full Version : Besides martial arts, what hobbies do you want to learn?

NSboarderchic
May 29th, 2004, 08:07
We touched on this a bit on the I Know Kung Foo! thread, but I was wondering what other hobbies you guys wanted to pick up/learn while in Japan?

Personally, I'd like to learn some form of martial arts, but I studied the Japanese Tea Ceremony in college and wouldn't mind continuing that. Or even calligraphy, or flower arranging, or sumo wrestling. Dammit! Too much to do.

joe
May 29th, 2004, 08:40
sumo wrestling!!
Better start eating....

adammoogle
May 29th, 2004, 08:46
can arson be classed as a hobbie?

NSboarderchic
May 29th, 2004, 08:57
Hey Adam - you don't happen to work at Dulcinea's school do you? :)

Oh! OH! THis is post 69!!!! WOOOOO - HOOOOO!!! Wait, now I can't post again. Dammit, and now everyone think's I'm 13. Shoot.

IowaJET
May 29th, 2004, 09:18
I want to study Japanese ceramics, and take some classes.

Lesley
May 29th, 2004, 09:18
I do archery (very badly!) at the moment so I'd like to try the Japanese version. I'd also like to learn a musical instrument - maybe the o-koto, it looks interesting on the genki-japanese site.

http://www.genkienglish.net/genkijapan/koto.htm

The taiko drums would probably be fun to learn but I think they're too energetic for my lazy body. :P

Jay
May 29th, 2004, 10:39
I want to try as many new things as possible.

lorenzokenzo
May 29th, 2004, 10:53
I want to get back into Kayaking..i use to do a bit when i was younger and i think it's quite popular in my town

Ageha
May 29th, 2004, 11:41
I'm actually really hoping to learn to play the taiko! I've seen a few performances (both here and in Japan) and they're always exciting. That and Japanese traditional/folk dances. ^^ And even though I don't know ASL, due to a few influences, I've recently become interested in Japanese sign language.

Mere
May 29th, 2004, 15:12
I don't know if this is something to learn (Japanese language skills will definitely be involved...), but I want to continue with Girl Scouts. I've been involved since 1987! And have done numerous activities with Japanese scouts since 1993.

Also, I'd like to learn traditional dance (like for Obon) and maybe taiko.

We'll see what opportunites arrive once I know my placement...

~Mere

VinceXII
May 29th, 2004, 15:12
I'm all about SCUBA next year

Hannah
May 29th, 2004, 18:07
I want to get back into Kayaking..i use to do a bit when i was younger and i think it's quite popular in my town

Me too! it looks like Gojo (Nara) has a good river for kayaking. (Yoshingo River) I haven't canoed for quite few years so I'll probably be rubbish now! Better get down the gym and exercise my puny arms! :oops:

You can look at the website www.city.gojo.nara.jp and click on the English version. There is a map in the Japanese version.

Lorenzokenzo, I don't know where the Yoshingo goes but maybe we can kayak between towns?! :lol:

Also interested in learning as many Japanese arts and crafts, traditional dancing, stories and stuff that I can take back to the UK and teach kids in this country...
:roll:
Hannah X

lorenzokenzo
May 29th, 2004, 19:25
Sounds cool hannah...your placement looks great. My pred has just e-mailed me and told me she knows some old man who paints pottery who likes to go kayaking now and again.

She's gonna see what she can sort out.

i dont think your miles away from me in wakayama so we'll have to sort something out..

cottamg
May 29th, 2004, 21:57
I want to try as many new things as possible.

Amen.

Although, I would like to learn the traditional dancing, and Japanese archery. Oh.. and Calligraphy (and Keigo (Business japanese)

G

llumynia
May 29th, 2004, 22:34
i want to learn naginata!

http://www.naginata.org/

yabighoor
May 29th, 2004, 23:24
SNOWBOARDING

Manshonyagger
May 30th, 2004, 00:45
I want to improve my Gunpla skills.

(good luck to ya trying to figure out what "Gunpla" is... :wink: )

Cornelius
May 30th, 2004, 00:52
(good luck to ya trying to figure out what "Gunpla" is... :wink: )

*coughcoughcough*Gundam Plastic Model*coughcoughcough*

Manshonyagger
May 30th, 2004, 01:29
Manshonyagger wrote:

(good luck to ya trying to figure out what "Gunpla" is... )

*coughcoughcough*Gundam Plastic Model*coughcoughcough*

Har. If you know what it means, then you're at least as big a fanboy as me!

:)

Cornelius
May 30th, 2004, 02:02
Har. If you know what it means, then you're at least as big a fanboy as me!

:)

That's a fair assessment to make. :)

Shinikenshi
June 1st, 2004, 19:04
I want to improve my Gunpla skills.

(good luck to ya trying to figure out what "Gunpla" is... )

In that case, I wonder if I should tell you about the wonderful Gundam store in Akihabara station or the Bandai Museum off in Matsudo. Hopefully these won't be reasons to ditch Tokyo orientation. :twisted:

Outside of language and martial arts, I'd like to fine tune my violin skills (gonna bring my dusty old violin I haven't touched years!) after neglecting it for so long. Perhaps even go from there to learn some Japanese traditional musical instruments.

Oh and to add to the fanboy mix, I want to get better at pencil drawing. I'm not as much a fan of anime as I was back in high school, but I have a fondness for learning to draw in the style. Heck, maybe even use that as a jumping board to do an online comic about JET! Wouldn't that be something?

Chris

Dynamis
June 1st, 2004, 20:26
I want to ski, kayak, hike, learn japanese archery (Kyudo?), and just wander round Japan as much as possible... (is that a hobby?)

Matt

Cantdosleepflower
June 1st, 2004, 20:33
"We want to be free! We want to be free, to do what we want to do! And we want to get loaded, and we want to have a good time. And that's what we're going to do."

Baby let's go.

professor_chimpenstein
June 1st, 2004, 21:24
I hope to become a karaoke superstar in Japan as an elvis impersonator. So I guess my hobby would be singing badly.

First Osaka, then Japan, then the world.

Mua hahahahahaha

James has left the building