PDA

View Full Version : drivers licenses

kellicopter
May 29th, 2004, 19:50
hi all

i just found out SA ppl have redo their drivers test.......F*** it all to hell
one of those thing is enough for a life time,

im not sure about this so i stand corrected, but Uk , canada, new Z, and australia just do the paper work and do not have to redo the test

SA and US seem to have to redo the test

DAMN IT ALL TO HELL
:evil:

i thought it was based on what side of the road you drive on in home country and coz we drive on the LEFT and so does JPN i would not have to redo my test... :cry: :(

this is the link to the Japanese auto federation( ill post it in link section as well)
hope that helps you all

http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/index_e.htm

kell

Rustweaver
May 29th, 2004, 23:26
The worst part is that it sounds like most people take 3-5 times to pass it...

If you live in Inaki, that could be very troublesome. Going back to the test station everyday could eat away a bunch of time and money.

Personally, I plan on passing it on the first try 8) I don't matter though, I'm gonna live in a good sized city.

Hannah
May 30th, 2004, 03:33
That's right. UK people just need to take a colour blindness test! Nice one!

I think we need to bring an international drivers licence though.

Hannah X

PS Has anyone actually stopped to think just how difficult it will be to drive in Japan anyway? Just imagine the signs! How easy would it be to get lost!! I'm bad enough in this country! :oops:

charliemac
May 31st, 2004, 02:49
Yeah...I hadn't planned on driving in Japan but it looks like people place in Aomori pretty much need a car to get around! So now I need to find out how to reverse my answer of 'no' to the international drivers license on that initial application form. On top of that, I get to drive in pretty heavy snow for 4 months of the year :) yaaaay.

richardp
May 31st, 2004, 03:06
The service we are paying for is the International Driving License, getting one here is a waste of time because it'll need translating. AFAIK all you need is your regular license and that is it.

dobharrison
May 31st, 2004, 09:27
That's right. UK people just need to take a colour blindness test! Nice one!

I think we need to bring an international drivers licence though.

Hannah X

PS Has anyone actually stopped to think just how difficult it will be to drive in Japan anyway? Just imagine the signs! How easy would it be to get lost!! I'm bad enough in this country! :oops:

I think almost all the road signs in Japan are in English too, so I shouldn't worry about it.

Lia
June 2nd, 2004, 21:38
sorry if this has been asked before but where do we get an international drivers licence from??
and where do we take a colour blindness test??
cheers
Lia xx

Dynamis
June 2nd, 2004, 21:47
I could quite easily be wrong on this, but I don't think we need to get an internation drivers licence at all (Brits, that is), and the colour blindness test we take in Japan, i think, at the time we get our Japanese licence.

Matt

Lia
June 2nd, 2004, 21:51
ok cheers Matt, I think you may be right. I know that I could use my current licence in France and Oz but i just wanted to check!
Cheers, Lia xx

Dave
June 2nd, 2004, 22:07
AAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I've just been told it "can be difficult living in Ninomiya without a car" and I can't drive! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

dobharrison
June 2nd, 2004, 22:08
Matt is correct, you don't need an international licence. You can take your UK licence to some important place, get it translated and you then have a proper Japanese driving licence.

Of course, the process is a bit more complex than that in real life!

The reason behind it is, apparently, that the UK driving test is considered to be strict and effective. The Japanese government doesn't seem to think the same of the US and SA tests, evidently.

Lia
June 2nd, 2004, 22:23
Dave you better get learnin quick!
i'm stuck out in the mountains with only 3 busses a day! so a car is pretty important to me too!
i havent drivven for 5 years now so i'm hoping it'll all come back to me!

gooooood luuuuckk! xx

dobharrison
June 2nd, 2004, 22:35
Paul has the right idea, I think. God knows how easy it would be to get your UK licence translated in inaka.

And he's so cute too, bless him!

Lia
June 2nd, 2004, 22:38
cool, i will do this too.. so where do we get this 4 quid licence from??
Lia xx
anyone else bored at wk? i'm sooo bored and have zero motivation now i know im off!

luke
June 8th, 2004, 09:17
So what happens if you're colour blind?? they just say, 'sorry, you can't drive here, please leave' - seems harsh, i hope not anyway...

:?:

dobharrison
June 8th, 2004, 17:06
So what happens if you're colour blind?? they just say, 'sorry, you can't drive here, please leave' - seems harsh, i hope not anyway...

:?:

With all the red temples and green vegetation, it's an accident waiting to happen.

adammoogle
June 9th, 2004, 03:07

are you having a laugh? of course you can't drive!!! how can you tell and green light from a red light????!?!?!?

the worlds gone mad!!! :P

its about as harsh as telling a blind man he can't see, or that having no tongue is no impediment to a successful singing career...

morikyd
June 9th, 2004, 04:45
US citizens can get an international drivers liscense from AAA Motor Club. Its good for one year from the date you move to Japan. Costs like 10 dollars and then some for what ever they charge for the picture. If you stay for another year you will have to get a Japanese liscense.