PDA

View Full Version : Introductions

dobharrison
May 30th, 2004, 05:11
Hi,

I've been made the moderator of the Chugoku forum, which pretty much makes me God. As long as you all tithe 10% of your earnings to me, everything will be fine.

No, seriously, I will be responsible for this thread and can edit and delete posts, etc. What this means is, if anybody has any questions or wants to make a thread 'sticky' or has any info about the Chugoku region, let me know and I'll make sure it's added. If you want to make an announcement to the Chugoku forum, let me know and I can do it for you. Just try to keep everything on topic, i.e. Chugoku region info, please! Oh, and please be nice to each other.

I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you in person and can't wait to go to Japan! I'm pretty sure we'll get along swimmingly. And if we don't, there's always beer to help the process!

I thought this may be a nice time to write a little bit about ourselves. What do you think? Does anybody want to go first?

Take care,
Dob
XXX

Kevin
May 30th, 2004, 14:18
Sure Dob, I'll go first.

I'm Kevin (obviously) from San Francisco. I'm still waiting to hear what city in Tottori-ken I'm assigned to. I do know I'll be teaching in a high school.

I graduated in 2002 from UC Santa Cruz. Then I worked for the SF Giants for a year in promotions/marketing. While I was in college, I "studied" abroad at the University of Amsterdam for 1 year. Pretty fun year to say the least. I also worked in Madrid for a summer. So enough fo Europe for now....on to Asia.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, getting a few (or many) drinks, etc...

Alright...who's next?

Logan5
May 30th, 2004, 19:44
I'll go next...

My name is Jason Harris and I'm headed for Shimane.

I'll be graduating from UC San Diego soon, with a degree in History, and I did a minor in Japanese Studies, including a year of the language.

Really lloking forward to the whole JET experience and hope to meet many of you in Tokyo in July.

Cheers,
Jason
8)

dobharrison
May 30th, 2004, 22:41
Thanks guys!

My name's Dobromir Harrison, I'm half-Bulgarian but have lived in the UK from the age of 10 months! I live in St Helens, near Liverpool.

I graduated from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth in 2001 with a degree in Film and Television Studies, then abandoned my media interests to teach English in Thailand for a year, which was great fun. After that, I worked in Kanagawa, Japan for 6 months last year and have been back at home since due to the awfully drawn-out JET application process!!!

I know I'm going to be in Hiroshima-ken but no more than that. This is driving me insane!

Oh, and I'm vegetarian too, which makes me wonder why I'm going back to Japan.

See you all in Tokyo!

Dob

Alpot
May 31st, 2004, 00:32
Hi. I'm Alex Potter.
I've pretty much just finished university... studying Japanese at Leeds. Just waiting for the results at the moment. I went to Japan in my second year, and lived in Fukuoka, so although I didn't request it this time I'm quite pleased to be close by.
I've been placed in Yamaguchi-shi, so hopefully there'll be a fair bit going on. I'm going to be in charge of the english magazine for the foreigners in Yamaguchi prefecture, so you'll probably be hearing more from me if that's where you're headed.
I'm flying out of London with group B, so I'll hopefully see some of you there, or in Tokyo.
Looking forward to meeting everyone, Alex :) .

adammoogle
May 31st, 2004, 03:30
nice to meet you all! :wink: i hope everyones as nice in person... :P

i'm adam, from leeds! :)

about 6 foot tall, love playing basketball and my shiny new car

i've got hairy legs and feet but not chest oddly enough...

my fave colour is blue

i love the sea...

did a 4 year degree in american studies :roll: spent a year in arizona and another year working in tele but fancy some travelling before i settle down with some comfy slippers and a pipe

hmmmm, thats about it...bricking it about going to japan right now! and still waiting for the placement letter from the embassy...gah! :evil:

but unconfirmed i'm heading to tottori ken, yonago shi

ooops, and i should add, all you tottori folk out there, give me a pm or something, best start getting to know each other now! :)

monkeyfeet
June 1st, 2004, 05:37
hi, everyone! my name is kate. i'm from the united states, and right now i'm in tucson, az.

i did my undergrad in physics, graduated in '00, then went to grad school in geophysics for a bit. after my first yr of grad school, a friend convinced me to work for the forest service over the summer fighting wildfires, and that was so much fun that after another semester i left grad school and fought fire for a couple more years. but then i got sick of that too and decided i wanted to move to japan. woohoo!! japan!! :D

so now i'm headed to kurayoshi city in tottori!! i'm having a hard time deciding if i'm ridiculously excited or abjectly terrified by the impending move to japan, but i think it might be both. yaaaay!! hehe. i'm looking forward to meeting you all. i'm in group a, so hopefully i'll see some of you in tokyo!!

Yowzers
June 4th, 2004, 07:37
Hey everyone! My name is Erin, and I'm an 01 grad from ORU in Tulsa, OK where I studied Biblical Literature and minored in Spanish. I've started my MA in TESL but am taking some time off to do this JET thing. I work as a territory manager in the admissions office for my alma mater. I just found out I was placed in Togo-cho. I love outdoor activities and am pumped about the hot springs there. I'm pretty sure I will be teaching Jr. Highers - YIKES! Here's the hook up on my pad: got my own house (need to get the gargantuan American-sized standards out of my mind) very close to the lake. I'm trying to get all my stuff in order before July, and I must say that I got a lot of stuff. Can't wait to meet ya'll (Tulsa influnece there) in Tokyo!

Peace,
Erin

thekid
June 5th, 2004, 08:07
Hey, ill be off to Shimane to teach in kawamoto high scholl come july.So see you guys soon! :D

feech
June 5th, 2004, 13:18
hey there ya'll. it's feech here. well, i guess my name's not really feech, but it sure seemed like it a few months ago when i was dubbed "feech" by my household of die-hard Sopranos fans and they just wouldn't stop calling me that. i'm really just Amy, a 24 year old gal living in LA and trying to scrape up enough money to buy all that new snow gear we're gonna need.

I'm going to Tottori to teach elementary school in Nakayama-cho, but I'll be living in Yonago. As much as I'd convinced myself that I would love living in my beautiful 5,000 person town, I'm kinda relieved that the grocery store and post office are only a short bike ride away now. Seriously though, I can't wait to get to Japan. Is it just me, or is everyone moved to tears when you're hit by this amazing wave of realization that you've been given the opportunity to live in Japan and get PAID for it?

Kevin
June 6th, 2004, 04:56
Hey Amy,

I haven't cried yet, but it is pretty amazing that in a few months, we're all going to meet up in japan and have a 1+ year adventure together. I already feel like I know some of you, so it'll be great when we finally meet.

I'm definitely in the same boat with the cash flow. I'm starting to sell as much stuff as I can so I can get a new camera, laptop, and ahve enough cash to get set up that first month. I think my car is the next thing to go. SO if you have any friends in LA who are carless (although I doubt it) and who want a '94 mustang, let me know. I'll make them great deal.

I'm still waiting to hear what city I'm going to, but either way, see you soon...........in Japan!

yorkie
June 18th, 2004, 18:48
Hi

I'm Lauren, currently living in York, England, soon to be living in Yanai City, Yamaguchi Prefecture.

Studied at York University, and last year graduated with my degree in English (literature). Have been living and working in York for the last year as well, and am looking forward to a completely different change of scenery!!

Am very excited to be going to japan in August (I'm in group B), but also quite nervous, as I think I am the only JET in my town/city!! It'll be fine I'm sure, and hope to explore the rest of the region and meet up with some of you guys over the next year..or 2...or 3!!! Just gonna make the most out of every situation and opportunity there, and explore as much as I can!!!

Lauren xx :)