PDA

View Full Version : Nara-ken

llumynia
May 31st, 2004, 05:40
Welcome to NARA!! This thread has become rather long, but just scroll to the bottom and see what's been happening recently...

Yea Nara!!

Hannah
May 31st, 2004, 19:47
I thought I'd send a message just to fill out the Nara posts a little!!

I will come and visit Paul and the Osaka crew, and all the Wakyayama jets! All welcome at my place too if you want a trip to Nara prefecture.

Hannah X

llumynia
May 31st, 2004, 22:49
-edit-

Hannah
June 1st, 2004, 03:54
Hi Illumynia

How much have you managed to find out? R U in touch with your pred? guess you must be. I have tried getting in touch with other Nara jets (BD) but not had much luck.

Have you managed to find anything about the Nara Ajet? They don't seem to exist!

Hannah X

llumynia
June 2nd, 2004, 00:53
-edit-

Hannah
June 2nd, 2004, 08:04
edit

MightyAtom
June 3rd, 2004, 08:00
llumynia, sorry dear, but you can't really call Takatori inaka. It may not be the biggest town in Nara, but your access to the trains renders all else moot.

You have quick access to both Osaka and Kashihara (One of the bigger cities in Nara ken.)

Gojo on the other hand... :oops:

Tiffany
June 5th, 2004, 22:52
I've been placed in Nara as well but am not sure where yet. Hopefully that will be resolved soon. :) I am waiting for my information package to solve a few of my logistical questions and biding my time in hot, sticky Florida until I know where my new hot, sticky home will be. Look forward to meeting everyone. Take care.

llumynia
June 8th, 2004, 13:12
-edit-

stenar
June 10th, 2004, 11:15
I just found out that I was going to Nara. Really excited about it too. Anyone else from Canada going to Nara? Looking forward to meeting you all!!!

llumynia
June 10th, 2004, 22:12
ooo ooo, what city are you in? I'm not from Canada though, so can't help you there!

Hannah
June 11th, 2004, 05:32
I just found out that I was going to Nara. Really excited about it too. Anyone else from Canada going to Nara? Looking forward to meeting you all!!!

Hi Stenar,

Welcome to Nara! :)

Whereabouts are you going?

By the way you have the same avator as Kellycopter! :oops:

Hannah X

stenar
June 11th, 2004, 06:11
Hiya everyone,
unfortunately I still don't know what city I'm in. I haven't really gotten much info, just that I'm going to Nara. It's nice to meet you all.
I hope I fixed the avatar problem. I'm new to the site so I haven't been through it completely. Let me know though and i'll fix it again :wink:
Later

Hannah
June 12th, 2004, 00:51
Hi Stenar,

Sorry, I hope I didn't offend you...! I just saw Kelly's avator and though it was her! Everyone uses a different one so we can recognise different posters (I guess it's easier to remember than a name).

Anyway, post here when you find out where abouts you will be in Nara.

Hannah X

stenar
June 14th, 2004, 08:14
Hey, no worries about the whole avatar thing. s'all good. I'm new to this so by all means, constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated.
Still no news on where I'm going though. Maybe someone out there knows of someone leaving somewhere. Any holes that need filling??? Anyone?

llumynia
June 17th, 2004, 00:04
-edit-

Tiffany
June 17th, 2004, 12:14
I am going to be placed in Nara City. Does anyone know anything about living here? I am really excited but I would like some perspective. I just found out today that I will be teaching at the Tomio High School, minutes away from Nara-koen and both train stations. If anyone can give me any information, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

llumynia
June 18th, 2004, 00:42
-edit-

Hannah
June 18th, 2004, 04:16
Hi Stenar,

I have just had a letter from my predesesor and she says there will be a new JET in Nishi-Yoshingo. Could this be you? I have no more detail than this.

let us know as soon as you find out!

Hannah X

Tiffany
June 18th, 2004, 09:19
that's fine llumynia. we just happened to be in the neighborhood. i hope you are enjoying s. fla. it was damn hot in g-ville, much hotter than j-ville. take care.

stenar
June 19th, 2004, 13:39
Ok, so I just found out where I'm going. (I just wrote this reply but deleted it by mistake before posting it :evil: ) Thanks so much to everyone who gave me info but the final verdict is out and I'll be going to Kashiba as the new ALT at Kashiba HS. My predecessor just wrote to me and told me. She tells me that Kashiba is about 40 minutes from Osaka and Nara City by train so Tiffany, I'm just a train ride away.
Sorry Hannah, i guess I'm not going to be the JET in Nishi-Yoshingo, but I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point. I leave Montreal on July 24th (Group A).
I'm am uber excited to finally know where i'm going, I just hope i can sleep tonight.... :wink:

Hannah
June 22nd, 2004, 03:48
That's great Stenar!

It makes it seem much more real when you know where you are going!

See you in Nara prefecture!

Hannah X

robg
June 22nd, 2004, 12:34
i'm to nara too...just not sure where yet. any of you going to the LA meeting this saturday?

Hannah
June 23rd, 2004, 04:36
Hi Robg

A bit far to travel from Oxford, England!

Have you been on www.Bigdaikon.com ? If you find the Nara thread you could post and see if anyone knows where you have been placed.

I'm sure you will hear from the BoE soon though.

Which group are you in?

See you in Nara!

Hannah X

robg
July 1st, 2004, 17:32
hiya Hannah,

woohoo, i'm not invisible! lurk-mode begins to shimmer and fade as the days cascade into an ever-quickening parade of things to be done, goodbyes to be said; life here comes to an end to be reborn again in japan. i'm not a fan of the fly-by-the-seat-o-mah-pants kind of romance; i'd rather dance with a side-long glance at the lass than take my chances on leaps of faith. but here i go, then i went, and as time-space folds into bent airplane seats i find i am the going. time spent here in reno becomes golden even as i fade through the last few glimpses before a new life...

...but all is not well in rob-land.

i've recieved a packet from the contracting organization regarding the conditions of my employment, and the senior high school where i'll be instructing (katagiri senior high), but NOT _where_ i'll be living. so i still don't know where in nara i'll be. i haven't heard from my predecessor. and it's 1:38am july 1st. that's it...i'm emailing angel.....^^

Rob
group A
LA

llumynia
July 2nd, 2004, 06:46
-edit-

Hannah
October 4th, 2004, 18:58
it's so bizarre that I've met all you peeps now!

Just reading back through old threads, should be planning lessons!

Hannah X

Hannah
October 5th, 2004, 09:20
oooh, was that an invite to Osaka! :D

pepperphd
November 5th, 2004, 09:21
Konnichiwa, everyone! My name is Daniel and I'm a first-year ALT in lovely (but increasingly chilly) Gunma-ken. I'm about two hours north of Tokyo in the little town of Onishi ("Goblin Rock" in translation, although considering it was just Halloween weekend a few days ago, I'm disappointed to say that I've seen nary a devil since arriving here a few months ago).

I'll be making a trip to the Kyoto/Nara/Wakayama area in late November, specifically between November 19-23. I've already arranged lodging for myself in Kyoto-shi on Friday, Nov. 19 but I'm eager to find a place to crash on the other days while I explore the region. Thus this shameless plea for lodging, since (a) hotel/ryokan accommodations are tricky for one with as pathetically little Nihongo know-how as myself, and (b) I am a cheap bastard.

Simply put: If you're going to be around during any one of those evenings, would you be willing to let me stay at your place? I'm a friendly, non-smoking, no-mess houseguest (at least historically, and I don't plan on changing), I don't take up much space, and I wouldn't need anything other than a bit o' floorspace to rest my weary head and use of the shower in the morning so I don't reek the next day.

Of course, if ever you find yourself travelling through or near the Gunma area, I'd be more than happy to return the favor!

Let me know at your convenience if you'd be willing to put me up, or if you require further information before even considering it, or if it's not a possibility. Thanks so much for your time, and have a happy (typhoon- and earthquake-free) weekend. I hope to hear from you!

best wishes,
Daniel
goblinrocker@yahoo.com

Hannah
April 15th, 2005, 23:00
I seriously need to clean/tidy my whole aparto! I can't see the table or the floor! I don't know where to start... .Hmmm, will make a cup of tea and think about it some more!

Paul, I will come and visit you in Osaka one of these days! It will be a full year since we arrived before we know it! Crazy huh!

dobharrison
April 17th, 2005, 22:56
So how does Hiroshima Subway compare to the Osaka one?

dobharrison
April 18th, 2005, 09:00
Sorry, I forgot.

iricat
May 22nd, 2005, 12:19
I'll be new to Nara in July! I'm coming in group a to Koriyama from Canada.

llumynia
June 23rd, 2005, 15:32
Hey, congrats iricat! I was wondering, anyone else new in Nara out there? My neighbor just found out about her successor and I want to talk to this new chick, too, seeing as how we'll be 3 minutes apart... sooooo.... who's coming to Nara?!?!?

robg
June 24th, 2005, 15:48
---tRIpS oUT---
wow this is weird. how long have i peered into the the feared possibility-pool and veered-off just-in-time to avoid the sneer of an unfortuante chance? a year has nearly passed on this dance, it hardly feels like i've appeared on the scene and now we're welcoming the new cats.
---uNtRipS iN---

hey iricat. i live just outside koriyama...about a trainstop away. welcome abord the nara-express. everyone's cool here. i'll probably be meeting you at the big nara welcome dinner when you get into town, though you'll probably be out of your mind with exhaustion and heat stroke. at least i was when i came through. damn, this IS quite strange to be on the other side...

Hannah
June 25th, 2005, 00:58
Keep taking those pills the nice Nara docter gave you Rob!!

Heehee! :-D

Come on Nara newbs, where are you hiding...? I hope they are not being sucked into BD. Who's gonna go in and get em outta there before it's too late?!!

Who's gonna be the lucky lass (yes I know you are a girly!) to join me in Gojo this year...? Show yourself!

iricat
June 25th, 2005, 08:41
There don't seem to be many Nara newbs on big daikon either. I think only one other one... They must all be hiding somewhere. Do you guys have any information about what happens after July 27th? All I know is I get shipped off from Tokyo. Is there a prefectural orientation right after that? Or any workshops during the summer?

Looking forward to meeting you all :)

robg
June 28th, 2005, 09:38
hannah hannah throwing out bannanas,
gave me some pills she found in wakayama,
popped those pills and they gave me head trauma,
claimed she was a doctor and not the dali lama
sitting in an onsen or resting in a sauna,
i'd rather smoke the fauna than be caught in all the drama...

er...yeah, nevermind...

iricat, if youre lucky you get to participate in the NETS seminar a week after you get here. there are a few workshops when you arrive, and they will be more useful to you than the tokyo workshops.

Hannah
June 28th, 2005, 13:55
Hahaha Rob, you crazy cat!
:P

llumynia
June 29th, 2005, 15:25
You do love the cRAzY cAPiTaL leTTerS Rob ^_^

Yeah, I checked out BD, too, looking for the new Takatori JET, she ain't there either. Nara JETs seem to be wary of the internet this year

iricat- Sorry I won't get to meet you when you get here as I will be on vacation(!!) until the middle of August, but I am sure the others will keep you busy! You'll be in meetings the day you get to Nara, and then the next day, after a meeting, you are shipped off to your town and there it's all up to what they want from you. Some of us sit at our new desks and read books, sleep, and doodle all August. Some of us have the whole month off. It's all up to your school. But it will be hot, damn hot. While you're in Tokyo if you see someone handing out some of those free fans, take one.

More Nara JETs... where are youuuu???

robg
June 29th, 2005, 19:30
it's pUrELy a stylistic effect...and since i so rarely use caps in my regular writing, it only adds emphasis!

yeah, if any newbs go to BD, they're prolly going to be scared off. BD is a harsh harsh place for the innocent...

Hannah
July 25th, 2005, 15:33
Group A Welcome party in Nara.... I'll see ya there!

(Sorry, can't make group B :cry: ) but I'll see ya soon!