PDA

View Full Version : How much Yen do you plan to bring to Japan?

Jay
May 31st, 2004, 09:54
Just curious

llumynia
May 31st, 2004, 10:00
actually, i'm not going to convert into Yen until i get there but we (since I am towing my husband along) are trying to have about $3000 US together at least. I think we'll probably have more than that if we try (we've been pulling everything together and selling a lot of stuff) but if we have that I am sure we will be more than fine. I took $2000 with me to Japan for four months and was fine since I had my Visa card, too... but I'm worried about this whole "key money" issue and the thought that I might have an unfurnished apartment. Not to mention that there are two of us.

Jay
May 31st, 2004, 10:18
Yea, I'm a little worried about key money as well... I hope it works out. I guess I will find out very soon. I had another option 250000+ but it seems to have dissappeared.... Well, anyways...

Kyler
May 31st, 2004, 10:44
Ive got no money saved up and wont. Zero. Just a credit card to which I'm going to do cash advances off of while i survive and can hopfully pay it off with my first (or second, third..etc.) paycheck

Dynamis
May 31st, 2004, 11:55
I've taken a graduate loan out to get me set up. So im taking about 300,000 Yen. Figure i should pay it back pretty quickly, and why worry about money when i first get there?

Matt

VinceXII
May 31st, 2004, 11:59
I'm working some big hours to save up right up until departure. I'm hoping to have 300,000 yen, but will probably end up in the 200,000-250,000 range.

Yakaji
May 31st, 2004, 13:32
Me, I'll be taking zero, zilch, nada, I expect. Doesn't mean I won't be spending any. I'm arranging with my parental unit to provide credit as necessary in my bank account so I can pull out whatever I want in Tokyo. Over the following months, I'll repay said credit; all my college debt goes directly to said parental unit, what little of it there is (ex: I owe more for my one car accident than for accumulated college debt). Better than dealing with the hassle of finding three grand.

Also, it's "How many yen do you plan to bring" or "How much money do you plan to bring". You can't bring much yen, not in English.

Beq
May 31st, 2004, 16:57
I'm hoping to take about $5000 Australian, which seesm to be just under 400,000 yen. But that's because I'm planning to buy a laptop computer as soon as I get there, so that amount will pretty much halve the first day! And the rest...mmm, Tokyo shops....

Jay
June 8th, 2004, 01:22
How about passing some of that Yen this way. hahaha. Due to some unforseen circumstances I will no longer be able to bring even 100,000 Yen. I will have to be pretty cheap for the first few months. I hope I find out how much much my rent is soon... Good thing there are credit cards!

candy4juju
June 8th, 2004, 07:10
Don't worry too much until you hear from your pred,

I just heard from mine and apparently don't have to pay any key money for my Aomori flat :) and the rent seems fairly low too, plus it seems to have most furnishings so initial outlay shouldn't be too big (relief!)

hopefully you'll hear something similar!

Jay
June 8th, 2004, 11:08
I really hope to hear something similar. I have my fingers crossed! If you don't mind me asking, how much is your rent?

Beq
June 8th, 2004, 18:03
I'm just curious how people who are using credit cards and getting loans are planning to pay them off? I know that you can't transfer money from a Japan account into an Aussie account. Is this not the same for other countries? Is everyone planing on sending international money orders home? Is there another option that I don't know about?
Beq

cottamg
June 8th, 2004, 18:36
I'm just curious how people who are using credit cards and getting loans are planning to pay them off? I know that you can't transfer money from a Japan account into an Aussie account. Is this not the same for other countries? Is everyone planing on sending international money orders home? Is there another option that I don't know about?
Beq

of course you can transfer money into an Aussie account! Who told you that you can't?.. find them and slap them!

there are lots of Blogs, etc by JET's that explain what they've done, and how they've done it.

a very helpful site I found was spicygyoza (in the weblinks section)

but most ppl (JETs) recommend opening a bank account with the Japanese postal service. this has the added benefit of allowing you to withdraw money throughout Japan with no fees! (and you can choose several different ways to transfer money)

the important thing is to know the home (Aussie) / account number that you want to transfer the funds into, and the routing number.... ask at your bank for this. :)

and read spicygyoza :) it's funny... as are thejetfiles :)

cottamg
June 8th, 2004, 22:07
or if you really don't want to use the post office, you can go through the banks

read this:
http://www.lloydstsb.co.jp/en/index.php

lloyds bank in japan.. :)

mara
June 9th, 2004, 23:34
That is an option, however it tends to be expensive. My prefecture has produced a handy Guide, and this is what they have to say about postal money orders.

http://shigajet.org/guide/moneyandmail/postoffice.php

This site also has handy links to the Japanese Postal System (in english) so you can do a little more research if you want.

candy4juju
June 11th, 2004, 16:45
Hey Jay

my rent is 25,000 yen per month ( :D - less than i pay for my room in Edinburgh) with no keymoney or deposits. It's an extra 5,000 yen for a parking space, but won't be needing that as i can't drive! I'm being employed by the BoE to do visits to about 30 schools in Aomori, the housing may me different for prefectural jets, but jets from the office live in the same street - do you know where you're working yet?

mary