PDA

View Full Version : Introductions for Tohoku

Cornelius
June 1st, 2004, 01:51
Following on from Dob's lead, I thought it best to set up an introductions thread.

Who wants to go first? Who is who in our wonderful world of Tohoku?

yabighoor
June 1st, 2004, 02:06
Me me!!! I'll be first. Right I'm Ciara, originally from Belfast, N.Ireland but grew up mostly in LImerick, Rep. Ireland, now live in Edinburgh where I went to uni at Queen Margaret University College. I'll be just 23 when I get to Japan and am going to Iwate prefecture.

Is that enough?
Oh I'll do music taste etc.

Fave music: Future Kings of Spain, Love, KIngs of Leon, Pixies, Jet, Ani Di Franco.

Fave Books: Harry Potter, Anything by Douglas Coupland, Pride and Predudice, em.....

Favourite food: Chocolate but am trying to get over the addiction

candy4juju
June 1st, 2004, 04:27
Me next!!!!

I'm Mary, I also live in Edinburgh (spooky....) but only for another week before I go home to Bath! I'm a mere 22 years old but still haven't got over the excitement of transformers and remote contol cars, or anything shiny for that matter...

I'm just finshing my 4 year degree in Archaeology at Edinburgh Uni and I'm looking forward to taking a complete change in direction. I've studied Japanese on the side for a few years, but i'm really not very good :oops: Heading to Aomori city: apple capital!

Musicwise i love faith no more and the pixies, also stuff like radiohead, lemonjelly, and bowie

Film anything wih takeshi kitano and hong kong action movies too, also ray harryhausen stuff! bladerunner prob favourite at the moment

Books mostly noon, vonnegut, gibson, murakami: anything that takes an odd perspective

I love far too many foods to start listing so wn't even try

hkmercredi
June 1st, 2004, 05:05
I'm from New York State (about 2 1/2 hours drive from the city), and I just finished a degree in religious studies and history combined in Asian Studies. I speak Japanese a little, but it leaves a whole lot to be desired.

I am going to Aomori-ken, but not quite sure where yet :(

Hrm, not sure what else to say. I love to read, but I'm kinda picky even though I like a bunch of different genres. I like books that are not easy to predict the ending of, so right now I'm onto mysteries, particulalry historical mysteries. I also like to write, sing, and occasionally draw and embroider. In other words, I'm fairly boring, although there are certain advantages to it (such as not needing constant diversions, which will probably come in handy in Aomori).

Looking forward to meeting everyone :o). Ja ne!

yakipurinzuki
June 1st, 2004, 05:23
Hello Happy People!
I'm Tina, here is the short history of my life: I was born in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, moved to Taiwan when I was 8 and came back to the States to attend Princeton University in New Jersey almost 4 years ago. I'm getting my diploma tomorrow! Finally! (So then I can send a copy to the Japanese consulate in NYC.)
I majored in East Asian Studies with concentration on Japan. I'm an anime and manga snob, which means I'm a fan but I'm also pretty picky. My favorite manga series are by Yazawa Ai, currently I'm following Nana. My favorite author is Tanizaki Junichiro. I also like Murakami Haruki. (I like Gibson and Vonnegut and Jane Austen too.) I'm thinking of acquiring a copy of Kawabata's Snow Country to read up in Tohoku (though it's actually about Niigata, "snow country" sounds like Tohoku to me.)
I love eating and since seeing Tampopo (a hilarious Japanese film about culinary desire - everyone should see it) over a month ago, I've been craving ramen... which I will seek out once we get to Tokyo for orientation.
I'm going to be a CIR in Kosaka-machi in Akita-ken (avatar is an Akita puppy ^_^).

Jay
June 1st, 2004, 07:03
Hey, this is Jared. I'm a mere 21. I just turned 21 in March. I'm from Winnipeg, a city of about 650,000 in the province of Manitoba, Canada. "right in the middle of Canada" I majored in Asian studies and minored in Geography. I'm also getting my diploma tomorrow.ummm... I will working in Aomori city! Right now I'm spending most of my time reading about Japan. I'm also a volunteer tutor at the the Univeristy of Manitoba and Winnipeg. I like travelling, movies, eating, hiking, canoeing etc. I'm glad to have been placed in Aomori! I don't really care for manga or anime. It's ok, but it doesn't really interest me. I'm so happy that I'm going to Japan. I've wanted to go there since I was 10 and now I'm going.

Soma
June 1st, 2004, 07:59
I am Corey, currently residing in Christchurch, New Zealand, where I am frantically trying to finish my Master of Arts thesis in Political Science from the University of Canterbury (which I know you have all heard of!) before I leave for Japan. I also tutor stage one courses, which is fun, except when trying to frantically finish said thesis.

I am 23, lived in New Zealand for almost all of my life except for a brief stay in Australia, so this will be my first "real" travelling experience.

As far as movies, well that could be a long conversation, but I have recently seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which i thoroughly recommend. Charlie Kaufman is a brilliant writer/screenplay writer. I am a fan of Francis Ford Coppola, and i guess by association Sophia too!
Music of varying interests- another long conversation.

I am being placed in Fukushima city, and I speak no Japanese at this point. I learned a little when I was in high school but mostly Japanese illiterate.

So, the upshot is: exciting, different and looking forward to it!

charliemac
June 1st, 2004, 10:30
Charlie here... I'm 24 currently living in Nashville, TN after finishing up a BS and MS at ETSU (that's East Tennessee State U) I majored in computer graphics and animation but I also managed to put 4 years of Japanese language in my program by the time I was finished.

Most of my hobbies revolve around art and art on the computer but there is no better way to escape life in front of the monitor than to study more about japanese language / writing / culture (IMHO of course) So with that in mind, I'm very much looking forward to the Aomori-ken area....I still don't know the exact city yet since I haven't heard from my predecessor but all signs are pointing to Shimoda-machi

yoroshiku onegaishimasu

Dylan
June 1st, 2004, 17:44
Hi, Im Dylan,

Ive been placed in Hirata Village, Fukushima

Im 22 years old and just finished my Psychology degree at Warwick University, I grew up in Wales and my family have now moved to the Devon, half of my famliy are from Martinique in the french Carribean.

I like loads of different types of music and enjoy reading, my favourite authors are John Fowles, Bret Eston Ellis and Philip Roth. One of the best films ive seen recently is Spirited Away, I thought it was absolutely amazing.

I enjoy loads of outdoor sports (ive been mainly rowing at uni) and im happy that ive got a rural placement for that reason. Im also vegetarian, so I hope I wont starve to death in Japan (I eat seafood so hopefully I should be ok!).

Looking forward to meeting you all soon,

Dylan

yakipurinzuki
June 2nd, 2004, 11:29
that's good cuz most japanese people can't concieve that bonito (those dried fish flakes) is not vegetarian, thought they don't eat much red meat at all.

yabighoor
June 3rd, 2004, 00:22
Why hasn't our moderater introduced himself yet?

Anyone want to learn to snowboard?

Cornelius
June 3rd, 2004, 02:11
Why hasn't our moderater introduced himself yet?

Anyone want to learn to snowboard?

It's a fair cop, guv.

I had planned to put something up earlier in the day, but I had to run out the door...

...Honest. ;)

Okay, so the name's Colin. I'm 29 and originally from Inverness, Scotland. My family moved over to Northern Ireland when I was only 12, which means that the majority of my formative drinking years have been over here.

I went to university in Belfast (Queen's), and came out a degree in English and a case of mild disorientation. Since then I've had several adventures, including living in America for five years.

I enjoy hanging with friends, reading, writing, listening to music, watching anime/reading manga, and generally just enjoying whatever the day throws at me.

I'll be heading off to Iwate-ken as well, yabighoor. While snowboarding may not be my exact scene, I will be slapping on a pair of skis, so I hope to see you on the slopes!

C.

root-2
June 3rd, 2004, 05:17
I'll join the action here.

I'm Darby, a soon-to-be 29-year-old Canadian lad who will be living in the city of Ichinoseki in the Iwate prefecture. I was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta and also took a couple of university degrees there. I have a B.A. in Philosophy and one in General Humanities.

After school, I've spent most of my time working as a web designer, but recently, my passion has become photography. I can't wait to start exploring Japan and pointing my lenses at whatever I can find. I love travelling and I plan on crashing on all of your floors on weekend trips at one point or another. :D Of course, the favour will be extended back to you.

Typically the music I like isn't on the major labels. Rock, punk, indie, hardcore, emo, etc.. But I also dabble into pretty much any other genre out there. For books, I have so many authors I love, but I'll just pick a few favourites for the time being: Dostoevsky, Kafka, Murakami, etc.. You know, all the happy stuff. I'm also a vegetarian. My cooking skills, however, are weak. So weak. So, I'll probably waste away to nothing after a year in Japan (or, I suppose I could learn to cook...).

As for the snowboarding, I've only tried it once and I broke my arm on the second run down the hill. If I have a good, enthusiastic teacher, I might be willing to give it another go. :)

Cheers.

Dylan
June 3rd, 2004, 06:40
Id be well up for snowboarding!

Soma
June 3rd, 2004, 08:49
Ill be up for learning to Snowboard, and any other outdoor activities. I am liking that this part of the country has many national parks, for which to go on day trips and tramps.

r_a_y
June 3rd, 2004, 09:35
Howdy, my name is Scott, and I'm from a small town near Ottawa, Canada called Perth. I went to university at the University of Waterloo near Toronto and got a pointless general math degree :) I just finished up there last month.

I've been placed in Miyagi, Ogatsu-cho which is a tiny town on the coast. I'm actually reasonably close to where you're placed root.

Musicical tastes, hmm varied i guess. Favorite bands change constantly. But really i can listen to anything... well except for country music of course :p

Fav books: Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (an amazing author) and Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. Generally i just read alot of fantasy and sci-fi (yes, i am a geek if you hadn't already guessed).

Fav movies: Fight Club and Momento. Two totally twisted, messed up films. Both classics :)

I got interesting in Japan through karate which i took throughout high school and anime/manga which i got into at university. Hope to do lots of traveling in Japan. Hopefully I can get a car soon after I get there, cause it looks like i'm gonna need one being stuck out in inaka-ville.

Well, that's about it. If anyone wants to chat just get ahold of me through msn or whatever. I've got way too much free time this summer, so i'm always around :D

Oh yeah, and I haven't tried skiing in ages but i'd totally take it up again if the chance arose (and if worst came to worst i could always try out snowboarding :p )

Talk to you all later.

(Woo! 100 posts!)

White_Tsunami
June 3rd, 2004, 10:27
All new Aomori JETs. Please sign up for the Aomori listserve at Yahoo Groups. The group name is aomorilist@yahoogroups.com.

williamdirk
June 3rd, 2004, 12:52
I'm a little late at this, but here goes.
I'm Will I currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada and was born and raised in The OC of California. I am 25 and graduated from UNLV about three years ago with two degrees in Film and Communications.
Currently I am a disk jockey at a local Jazz station out here and work as a camera operator at our local news station.

I am located in Akita-ken and it looks like im not to far from a beach so surfs on. I am also looking forward to snowboarding, the best boarding I've done was on Mount Whistler.. I hope I spelled that right it's in Vancouver, Canada a bit of a drive for me

I'de love to chat to anyone just because part of this experience for me is to meet anyone and everyone I can from all over the world.

Ok so Favorite music: Love it all, except country favs right now are Coldplay, Pearl Jam (yes still), Ani di Franco, Garbage, Bjork, the Roots

Books: James Patterson, Alex Cross series: the Shining: Fight Club (yes it was a book): most books that were made into movies

Food: Nachos and Sandwiches, hands down I could eat them forever

Ok I think I've taken up enough space and your time for now thanks for reading
Chow

root-2
June 3rd, 2004, 14:40
ray: Fight Club is one of my favourites too. Maybe I'll pack my DVD and we can get together to watch it on my laptop sometime. :)

Sorcha
June 3rd, 2004, 21:51
HI there,

Yep I'm going to Aomori too! More specifically Goshogawara City, as I just found out today.

My name Sorcha, am 24 and from Northern Ireland. I am living in London at the moment, working for an environmental website. Have moved around the UK a bit since departing NI - Uni in Liverpool, London for a year, Glasgow and back to London!!

Despite my best efforts to stay put for over 12 months the JET scheme beckons - can hardly knock them back, eh?

I am on a promise of lots of friends visiting if I am near good ski, so I will definately be up for a bit of novicing on the slopes...

er, that's it...

Missy
June 6th, 2004, 23:25
Hey Everyone,

So here it goes...a little about me. My name is Nicole. I'm 22 years old :) (23 on July 30) and i'm from Toronto, Canada.

I have just found out my placement, Iwaki City in Fukushima. I didn't really have any preference, but I am happy with this location.

I just graduated (two days ago actually) from Wilfrid Laurier Univerity in Ontario Canada with my degree in Business Administration.

I love to read, hang out with friends, listen to music, watch movies etc. My favourite author right now is Bryce Courtney, the author of The Power of One, Tandia, The Potatoe Factory etc. With regards to music, I like anything (even a little country..heh). I get a kick out of musicals, and choral music too, because I love to sing along. I don't really have any favourite movies, I love em all. But The Shawshank Redemption is definatly top five. Mostly any movie that is touching, or makes me really have to pay attention or think is great for me.

Anyways, hopefully i'll end up meeting some of you, as we might be neighbours.

Take Care,

Nic :)

rocky_racoon
June 7th, 2004, 08:19
Alright, Steve here from northern ireland, aged 31 I have been placed in Miyagi prefec 40 mins SW of Sendai, hmmmm where to start....i lived in NYC from 94-97, returned back to college in 97, graduated in 2000 and returned to the states living in pittsburgh for 2 years. I returned home to Derry 18 months ago with no general sense of direction and soon became disillusioned with everything from home country politics to the demise of my beloved liverpool f.c not to mention why the newspapers deem it important to show pictures of victoria beckham wearing those ridiculous sunglasses ( somebody should really tell her).... soooo a chance to live and work in japan couldn't have come at a better time....

As well as (hopefully) being a good A.L.T. i would like to visit Russia at some stage as well as see Radiohead live in japan, snowboarding is something i'm looking forward to because i have the balance of a one-legged man standing on a basketball so it could be quite comical :lol:

I would also like to play some music in japan and make a film/documentary at some stage as well as maybe write a book..there will be loads to do and I cannae wait......

Hope to meet some of you or all of you at some some stage for good times and frollics :wink: take it easy folks...peace .....Steve

miffymiao
June 10th, 2004, 07:37
I apologize for the 'mis-post' of "Intro"...I'd accidentally hit new topic instead of reply...and by the time I'd realized what I'd done, it was too late -_-; Here's a copy&paste:

Hi! I'm feeling like I'm the last person to do a Tohoku self-introduction >_<, but here it is:

I'm Mandy, and this weekend, I will graduate from the University of Washington (in Seattle, Washington) with B.A.s in Japanese Linguistics and Communications (Media Studies).

I have been placed as the CIR for Hachinohe City, which is in the east side of Aomori. I was glad to hear that it's an area in Aomori that doesn't snow as much. I'd requested to be placed somewhere in Kobe or Osaka, but I take consolation in being geographically closer to host families in Hakodate, Hokkaido.

Music: Some of my favorite bands/musicians are Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Duncan Sheik, Dave Matthews Band, Incubus, Coldplay; Japanese indie/folk/Okinawan rock, as well as the Tsugaru Shimsen-playing of the Yoshida Brothers (Is there anyone out there placed in Tsuruta, Aomori?) I wish I know how to play a shamisen, since there's no way I can ship my piano over for my amateur attempt at song-writing and singing.

Films: "Before Sunrise," "Reality Bites" "Great Expectations" (coincidentally all starring Ethan Hawke) "Love Letter" and "All About Lily Chou-chou," (anything by Iwai Shunji), all the works of art by Miyazaki Hayao.

Art: Yoshimoto Nara, Jimmy (Taiwan)

Book: Right now "Radio" by Murakami Haruki

I apologize for this getting so long...-__-; I look forward to meeting with you at the orientation!

Cornelius
June 10th, 2004, 08:36
I apologize for the 'mis-post' of "Intro"...I'd accidentally hit new topic instead of reply...and by the time I'd realized what I'd done, it was too late -_-; Here's a copy&paste:

No need to apologise! Your intro was really fine where it was, but thought it would be best to have a copy in the main thread - as that's where everybody else has posted.

Hi! I'm feeling like I'm the last person to do a Tohoku self-introduction >_<, but here it is:

I'm Mandy, and this weekend, I will graduate from the University of Washington (in Seattle, Washington) with B.A.s in Japanese Linguistics and Communications (Media Studies).

I have been placed as the CIR for Hachinohe City, which is in the east side of Aomori. I was glad to hear that it's an area in Aomori that doesn't snow as much. I'd requested to be placed somewhere in Kobe or Osaka, but I take consolation in being geographically closer to host families in Hakodate, Hokkaido.

Music: Some of my favorite bands/musicians are Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Duncan Sheik, Dave Matthews Band, Incubus, Coldplay; Japanese indie/folk/Okinawan rock, as well as the Tsugaru Shimsen-playing of the Yoshida Brothers (Is there anyone out there placed in Tsuruta, Aomori?) I wish I know how to play a shamisen, since there's no way I can ship my piano over for my amateur attempt at song-writing and singing.

Films: "Before Sunrise," "Reality Bites" "Great Expectations" (coincidentally all starring Ethan Hawke) "Love Letter" and "All About Lily Chou-chou," (anything by Iwai Shunji), all the works of art by Miyazaki Hayao.

Art: Yoshimoto Nara, Jimmy (Taiwan)

Book: Right now "Radio" by Murakami Haruki

I apologize for this getting so long...-__-; I look forward to meeting with you at the orientation!

Welcome aboard Mandy. Hopefully we can all get together at some point. Do you know if you are group A or B?

Also, is "Radio" any good? I've just started reading "Norwegian Wood"...

C.

miffymiao
June 10th, 2004, 08:49
I'm leaving with group A!

I started reading "Radio" last summer when I was living on an artificial island (Rokko Island) that's connected to Kobe. I don't know why I never bought the book, but it's a collection of short journal-like stories. I shall get a copy this time! I read 'Norwegian Woods' in its Chinese translation...but I think I should re-read it in Japanese if I can. What do you think of it so far?

Cornelius
June 11th, 2004, 08:45
I'm really liking it. It's such a well-written work - full of varying shades and tones.

I hope to finish it by the weekend, and I'll give you my full comments next week.

:)

burgoo
June 15th, 2004, 05:39
hey, I'm Kevin, and will be located in Tsuruta-town which is south of Goshogawara City, I believe and west of Aomori City.

Into playing sports a lot so I'll be down for skiing, snowboarding, softball, volleyball, whatever.

What else? Graduated college years back and have worked in publishing and multimedia. I have lived in NYC for almost my whole life, so a small town is a huge change of pace. I'm hoping to meet and hang with peeps to get over culture shock which will happen.

See ya at orientation!

Sorcha
June 18th, 2004, 21:44
hi Kevin - I am placed in Goshawagara City - apparently there will be two other JETs there also...so I guess that will be pretty close to you?[/quote]

KellyEye
June 30th, 2004, 15:45
I just found out this morning that I am placed in Sendai-shi, so I figured I would get to know some of my neighbors as soon as possible.
My name is Kelly, I am 23 years old and I have lived in and around Nashville, TN my entire life except for the university years. I graduated from the University of Tennessee (Knoxville) with a degree in Asian Studies (focused on Japan). I have limited travel experience with my major trip being a six-week stint in Tokyo last year for the Summer Courses in Japanese at International Christian University. Needless to say, I loved what I experienced of Japan, so I am moving there... seems logical, right?
I love music, especially local bands. My favorite band is The Features (http://www.thefeatures.com), you should check them out!
I have been sewing up a storm lately. I am thinking about shipping my sewing machine to myself, but I don't know how the voltage change will affect it.
I am about 1/3rd of the way through Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. My favorite author of the moment is Daniel Quinn (Ishmael & Story of B).
I am so super happy about moving to Japan that I run around and dance periodically throughout my day. I am one lucky duck to have the chance to do this![/url]

Cornelius
July 1st, 2004, 07:06
I'm leaving with group A!

I started reading "Radio" last summer when I was living on an artificial island (Rokko Island) that's connected to Kobe. I don't know why I never bought the book, but it's a collection of short journal-like stories. I shall get a copy this time! I read 'Norwegian Woods' in its Chinese translation...but I think I should re-read it in Japanese if I can. What do you think of it so far?

Hi Miffy.

I'm sorry I've taken so long to get back to you.

I still haven't finished the novel - life has gotten in the way.

As a quick question - have you read 'No Longer Human', by Osamu Dazai?