PDA

View Full Version : What is your Ken/Machi [in]famous for?

Sky
June 1st, 2004, 15:03
My mom tells me she read that Fukushima is where the last stand of the Samurai took place, which I guess means I'll be bumping into Tom Cruise while I'm over there... (er... actually they filmed it with all those damned Hobbitses down in NZ)

My brochures sent from the Board of Ed in Tokiwa Machi all have Beetles all over them... I mean TONS of Beetles. I frigging hate Beetles! Don't like the car, don't like the bug, don't like anything save for the band. So go figure that apparently, aside from Samurai final hold out, my placement site is known for Beetles. :cry:

What is your prefecture/placement site known for, if anything?

If not, make something up, just to make things interesting.

dobharrison
June 1st, 2004, 17:42
I think something famous happened in Hiroshima-ken, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else. Never mind.

Chiara
June 1st, 2004, 17:47
Toyama is the "Aluminium Capital of Japan".

I'm such a lucky gal!

Dave
June 2nd, 2004, 06:14
Toyama is the "Aluminium Capital of Japan".

I'm such a lucky gal!

Wow....that sounds.....um, ....shiny! :)
But seriously...where would we be without aluminium? We'd have no aeroplanes to take us to Japan for example!

My Ken (Tochigi) is apparently famous for its strawberries - which just so happens to be my favourite fruit! :D :) :D

adammoogle
June 2nd, 2004, 07:40
ok, be prepared to be very very jealous,

tottori is famous for, wait for it...pears! yes, pears, the tasteless mucky coloured fruit, bah!

oh and we have a uranium mine, so there

adammoogle dreams of the day he can glow in the dark like all the coolest people he knows

(oooo, and on a totally unrelated note, has anyone listened to Air - talkie walkie??? tis trippy!)

support your local tottori pear farmer, eat tottori pears today!

IowaJET
June 2nd, 2004, 08:15
Ceramics...I plan to take advantage of that.

adammoogle
June 2nd, 2004, 08:20
Ceramics...I plan to take advantage of that

by holding a greek wedding perhaps?

adammoogle invites himself

Lesley
June 2nd, 2004, 09:21
Nagasaki - Apart from the atom bomb it was Japan's gateway to the rest of the world during the isolation years. There's loads of different cultural influences (mainly Chinese and Dutch). I'm planning on checking out the Chinatown while I'm there :-)

Jay
June 2nd, 2004, 09:29
The Nebuta fesitival, Hirosaki castle "Hanami in the Spring", Fall Foilage viewing, snow, apples, and a wealth of other outdoor activities. That is all I know for now.

IowaJET
June 2nd, 2004, 09:43
Ceramics...I plan to take advantage of that

by holding a greek wedding perhaps?

adammoogle invites himself

Oooh...amphora....thanks for the vote of confidence, but, I'm not that skilled. I can't make anything over 12" yet.

Ageha
June 2nd, 2004, 14:53
Ceramics...I plan to take advantage of that.

In early September there is a "Setomono Matsuri" held in...wait for it...Seto! All kiiiiiiinds of booths selling all kiiiiiiiinds of setomono. It's great. ^^

Anyhoo, Kagawa is known for "Sanuki udon" (Sanuki is it's old name), among other things. I know I've read about what else it's famous for, but I forget. ;) Kukai was born there? Maybe...hmmmm

Chiara
June 2nd, 2004, 16:49
Dave - Tochigi has the cutest Hello Kitty by far! All dressed up in a little strawberry suit. My friend Adrian is with NOVA in Tochigi-shi, and so I ended up with loads of Tochigi HK merchandise ^_^

llumynia
June 3rd, 2004, 12:05
Nara-ken I think is probably most famous for it's shika... the deer (http://www.narajet.com/images/shika.jpg). They are actually protected by law and are considered national treasures. The Nara-ken Hello Kitty is Kitty-chan in a pink deer suit (http://www.narajet.com/images/nara1.gif). Everyone calls them shika-chan. They wander right up to you and demand food. But when you give it to them, they bow... usually. I think it must be from all of the Japanese people bowing at them all the time. All I know is that when I bowed for them like this (http://www.narajet.com/images/meandshika.jpg) they bowed back. I loved it. I can't wait to go back to visit Nara City!![/url]

Sky
June 3rd, 2004, 13:40
ok, be prepared to be very very jealous,

tottori is famous for, wait for it...pears! yes, pears, the tasteless mucky coloured fruit, bah!

oh and we have a uranium mine, so there

adammoogle dreams of the day he can glow in the dark like all the coolest people he knows

(oooo, and on a totally unrelated note, has anyone listened to Air - talkie walkie??? tis trippy!)

support your local tottori pear farmer, eat tottori pears today!

Actually, have you ever had Asian pears? I'm a little rusty, Nashi, right? I ate a bunch of those in Japan and they are one of the fricking best fruits ever! Seriously, think texture of an apple, flavor of a cross of an apple and a pear. CHO oishii!!!
good luck and if you don't like 'em send 'em my way!

Out,
Sky

katharine
June 3rd, 2004, 13:54
Yeah Asian pears are cho oishii. :D

My town is famous for.. uhh.. sweet potatoes, persimmons, and Sharp's largest LCD factory or something.

Grasshopper
June 3rd, 2004, 15:33
My Ken (Gifu) is famous for a little old guy named Yasuhisa who can eat crackers and then make it come out of his ears.

Shotokai
June 4th, 2004, 00:14
My Ken is the number one exporter of wait for it....Shitake mushrooms! woop!

oh and the NAKED ONSENS at BEPPU.

Eww old naked people, with wibbly bits.

Lisa
June 7th, 2004, 15:08
SAGA-ken: quoted from BD forum...
"Saga is pretty much only famous for it's annual balloon festival

http://www.netcom.gr.jp/balloon/2003sibf/index_e.htm

Plus it's also the home of Sagan Tosu FC, one of Japan's weakest and most cash-strapped proffessional football teams. "

Also Katherine informed us that it's referred to as the armpit of Kyushu, sounds cosy... & slightly sweaty :P

dobharrison
June 7th, 2004, 17:47
Apparently, in one of the Chugoku region prefectures (I forget which one), they have an annual 'naked man' festival! In other parts of Japan this is known as 'flashing' and 'sexual harassment', but here they've made it into a festival!

Actually, the men aren't completed naked - they wear little loincloths.

theangelkiller
June 8th, 2004, 04:44
tanegashima is where the first white people showed up, ever!
there's a gun museum to celebrate the european contribution to japanese history.
go guns!
-m

kellicopter
June 8th, 2004, 05:31
ok tokushima is famous for
1. garlic
2. Awa Odori dance festival---the Rio carnival of asia..(ill wait and see :wink:
3. Whirlpools in the sea.....looking forward to seeing those
4. the turtles who come to lay eggs

and shikoku island as a whole is famous for the 88 temple pilgrimage

all sounds great
kell

Vixen
June 10th, 2004, 15:24
i didnt read all the posts so sorry if this is a double. florida is the sister state of wakayama. wakayama is known for its oranges. my tiny coastal town is known for its eel/unagi. Three of our eel restaurants are listed in travel guides.

yum.

topsterloin
June 10th, 2004, 17:11
i've heard they call shimane-ken "the water capital" (or something like that of japan); my city has canals running through it and is located between the seventh largest lake in japan and a large lagoon...

JenrYOKO
June 10th, 2004, 17:20
I live in Kanagawa-ken, which is known for Yokohama, Kamakura, and Kawasaki. Yokohama is known for the Bay Bridge, Perry's first "visit," and Chinatown. Kamakura is home to the Big Buddha (not as big as Nara's, but I'm told Kamakura's is more aesthetically pleasing??), and Kawasaki is home to a rather famous Penis Festival that usually coincides with the cherry blossoms. One of the most bizarre experiences of my life was walking down the street, seeing little girls with pigtails sucking on penis lollipops.

Nikbot
June 10th, 2004, 17:23
My -ken is a -fu.

Osaka-fu is apparently famous for its cuisine.

Kuidaore! (Eat until you drop)

dobharrison
June 10th, 2004, 17:57
One of the most bizarre experiences of my life was walking down the street, seeing little girls with pigtails sucking on penis lollipops.

Yeah, I think I saw that site too. Oh, wait a minute... :oops:

melanwee
June 28th, 2004, 22:02
niigata-ken is known as the rice bowl of japan

isn't that just something!

Manshonyagger
June 29th, 2004, 04:38
Mombetsu is famous for crab and drift ice.

And that's about it.

Iced crabsticks, anyone? :)

yorkie
June 29th, 2004, 21:08
I'm off to Yamaguchi-ken, which I believe is famous for its fugu (blowfish)...do I dare risk it to try some???!! :)

yabighoor
June 30th, 2004, 01:25
i'll be at the bottom of a volcano. hope it's extinct, hey it'll keep the water hot though

GWave120
June 30th, 2004, 04:34
Shiga-ken has Biwako, the country's largest lake. Whoopee.

campa86
July 4th, 2004, 03:44
Its not my Ken, But my town is famous for Baseball Bats and Saki. Thats got to be a bad combo. Being drunk off good booze while while having a quality bat in hand. Nothing good can come of that. :)

nicklad
July 5th, 2004, 18:11
What each -ken is famous for can be found on the Quirky Japan Website.
Click on the 'Prefectural Peculiarities' link from the home page:
http://www3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~edjacob/intro.htm

I am away to Shizuoka, which is supposedly the place that has the lowest cancer rates in the country and where locals are the happiest living there than anywhere else.

Elmo_Chic
July 6th, 2004, 20:28
Here is what that webpage had to say about where i am placed:

Aichi – Aichi in general, and Nagoya(this is where i will be) in particular are known for producing the thriftiest people in Japan. Their savings accounts are inevitably among the largest in the country, and the people are known for their extreme economization measures, such as taking flowers home as ‘omiyage’ from funerals.

For some strange reason, i get the feeling my friends think i will fit right in. :oops:

Nikbot
July 7th, 2004, 00:45
Woo hoo! Osakans don't like natto!