PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Art, Zen and Surfboarding

lorenzokenzo
June 1st, 2004, 18:47
I watched a great TV programme on BBC2 a couple of months ago about The Great Wave at Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai.

It explored 3 areas that i'd like to find out more about:

(1) Does anyone know much about Japenese Art?

(2) I've just started reading 2 books: One is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance by Robert Persig and the other is Deep Simplicity by John Gribbin. These books relate to one another very well, and the later of which has Hokusai's Wave on the front cover. Does anyone know much about chaos theory or fractal formation?

(3) Seeing as we are talking about waves, who's gonna surf in Japan?

kellicopter
June 1st, 2004, 19:11
i will definatley try to surf in japan

i just have to wait until i get to my placement to see what the situation is like there..i have heard that shikoku has great surf spots :D

i have also read zen and art.....

the other stuff i have never heard of but am very interested now to find out more

kell

joe
June 1st, 2004, 19:12
(3) Seeing as we are talking about waves, who's gonna surf in Japan?

me! I went surfing in wales for the first time this weekend and it was quality :twisted:
I am going to be in kyushu which is apparently very good for surfing!

Sinbad
June 1st, 2004, 19:42
I went surfing in Devon this weekend.. I really enjoyed it. It was only my 3rd ever time, so I'm pretty crap, but it's definately something I'd like to do more.

Only problem is that I'm in Fukui, and I don't think there is any surf on that costline....

I'll just have to make a few trips down south.

Cantdosleepflower
June 1st, 2004, 20:26
Does anyone know much about chaos theory

I've seen Jurassic Park. Life finds a way, apparently. Which is comforting.

professor_chimpenstein
June 1st, 2004, 22:20
I know a little about Chaos theory

The old "A butterfly flaps its wings in Tokyo causes a tornado in New York"

From what I understand isn't it the fact that large events are made up from millions upon millions of smaller events and if we can recognise these small events then we should be able to predict the large ones.

I also read somewhere that since these events are stored in our subconscious we know at some lower strange inaccesable level when lightening will occur. Apparently the same goes for earthquakes.

Hell- apparently we even know the information which would calculate when we are going to die. Its just a case of separating it from the other info.

Kinda worries me tho' - every time I learn something new I forget something else.

:?: James